Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2015: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ricimaki

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Gillespy wrote: »

Thats a lot more throaty than last year. That said, they sounded awesome at those early tests so I aint getting excited.

Some more pics of the Merc

merc-w06-2015-11.jpg

merc-w06-2015-21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why didn't McClaren use the red text tyres to keep in theme with the rest of the car, do they HAVE to use yellow ones for all promo stuff?
    It's a pretty disappointing livery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,114 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

why didn't McClaren use the red text tyres to keep in theme with the rest of the car, do they HAVE to use yellow ones for all promo stuff?
    It's a pretty disappointing livery.

I think the williams had white text on the tyres, maybe yellow is what pirelli prefer, don't know

I'm hoping the mclarens livery will look better once it's out on the track

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Gillespy wrote: »

ha ha, that's so funny at the end. Was that setup?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Ferrari 2015:
    337007.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

astrofluff wrote: »
    ha ha, that's so funny at the end. Was that setup?

I'd say so.

The Merc is a fine looking car apart from those stupid ears on the nose...

Ah Jaysus :p

1422608661.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Given Sauber's parlous financial situation, I'd say Banco de Brasil got the entire livery package for the princely sum of fifty Swiss Francs and half a packet of Polo Mints. It looks like whoever did the design got the mints as payment as it looks terrible.

That's an awful shade of blue and what a whopper of a dong sticking out the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The new Sauber is similar to the Carlin GP2 except a lot uglier

team014-3Carlin.jpg

37fff088f9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

All it's missing is a Tipp GAA crest

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

The blue is fine, it's just that yellow and blue are a terrible colour combination.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The blue is fine, it's just that yellow and blue are a terrible colour combination.
    No love for the 1992-93 Williams'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I don't think it's that bad, it could do without the red and white on it, but at least it's unique

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I disagree, the blue BAR was fairly nice! Pity they never raced it. And the 555 liveried Subaru's in the WRC were pretty sweet too.
    bar3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

As a Roscommon man, that hurts! 😛 No but seriously, Sauber are in for a tough season no doubt. The car hasn't changed much. The higher weight limit this year may help them as they had an overweight car last year. Other that that, the nose is longer as it is easier (for that read cheaper) to pass the crash test with the longr nose.

Just saw the new Ferrari, mmm, that nose...

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I quite blue and yellow as a combination. It's just that Sauber's blue is a bit 'off'. It looks very 'flat' in all the pictures I've seen so that the car looks like it's made from plastic like a child's toy version of the carbon fibre real thing. All in my own opinion of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Nah lads don't get me wrong, if you attach fond sporting memories to certain colours then they'll evoke fond memories but in general blue and yellow are kept apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

laterale_3piloti.jpg
    3-4_2015_ok.jpg
    alto2015_ok.jpg
    fronte_2015_ok.jpg
    3-4_retro_2015_ok.jpg

That nose looks weird head on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Here's the Sauber from another angle.

Slightly more aerodynamic in this view

ikea_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,802 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

OSI wrote: »
    Alfa Romeo logos on that Ferrari?

Yes indeed. Those Alfa logos took me by surprise. Last time that name was seen in the sport was 1985.

Benetton Alfa 185T:

alfa185t.jpeg

Riccardo Patrese said that was the worst car he ever drove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

OSI wrote: »
    Alfa Romeo logos on that Ferrari?

My only guess is that Fiat (who own both Ferrari and Alfa Romeo) requested it to be put on there, although I'd be surprised if that was the case. I don't think Alfa would have had any part in the making of the car so that's the best guess I can give.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭lolie

Some of the noses look a bit weird alright but although thankfully not near as bad as some of last year's.
    It's good to see all the teams using different designs as apposed to the same 1 or 2 designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

My only guess is that Fiat (who own both Ferrari and Alfa Romeo) requested it to be put on there, although I'd be surprised if that was the case. I don't think Alfa would have had any part in the making of the car so that's the best guess I can give.

Fiat has Alfa, Ferrari and Maserati lobbied together in the "sporting" pool, even 'though Alfa Romeo doesn't race anywhere since the early 2000s. Some of the facilities that deal with road cars are shared.

The logo is the group's way of letting this known, as they are (finally) trying to do something about Alfa Romeo in 2015.

Many many years ago an idea circulated about renaming Ferrari customer engines as "Alfa Romeo", but it never took off as Ferrari's management didn't want it to happen (yet, they renamed their engines "Petronas" for Sauber).

Now that Ferrari is back again under the full control of Fiat in the guise of Marchionne, they clearly took the opportunity to give another brand of the group some visibility - through the '80s and part of the '90s, Ferrari sported a very prominent "FIAT" logo that disappeared as soon as the Scuderia was given some degree of independence from the main company:

5306484696_6bab5cc06e.jpg

Also, Ferrari started their history as an Alfa Romeo customer team - they raced Alfas with the prancing horse on the side. It is a throwback to their origins, which I am sure are unknown to many of the younger generations. Quite clever strategy marketing-wise ; it actually is absurd they didn't use it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Yes indeed. Those Alfa logos took me by surprise. Last time that name was seen in the sport was 1985.

Benetton Alfa 185T:

alfa185t.jpeg

Riccardo Patrese said that was the worst car he ever drove.

Interesting fact: this team was an official Alfa Romeo team just like Mercedes and Ferrari are today; "Benetton" was just the title sponsor and the similarity of liveries gets it often called a "Benetton F1" - a fate common with the fashion-brand sponsored Tyrrell from 1983.

Benetton Formula started racing in 1986, after the family bought out the Toleman team (drivers et all).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

aphex™ wrote: »
    Here's the Sauber from another angle.

Slightly more aerodynamic in this view

ikea_2.jpg
    Chipboard and dowel construction will mean they're within spitting distance of the weight limit this year.

Advertisement