Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2015: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I must be the only one who likes the Sauber car :P Disappointed with the McLaren was hoping they'd go back the red and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Ferrari wins by a nose!

B8nGOGHCAAIHyT4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ferrari is my favourite so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Ferrari wins by a nose!

B8nGOGHCAAIHyT4.jpg

Ah here! :p

Apart from the nose I think that Ferrari is pretty nice. The car has got $hittier as the liveries got better. I hated the Schumache era "pink" Ferraris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

OSI wrote: »
    Yeah I figured it was something to do with trying to revive the flagging Alfa Romeo brand. I know I've read a few rumours of them having a number of new cars in the pipeline in an attempt to go after BMW and Audi. Just seems odd timing to have it on the car now when they really have bugger all to offer. Surely you'd wait until you had a massive ad campaign ready to go with that shiny new lineup all waiting to be bought by the ferry load.

Timing is quite good actually - they have announced some official news coming this year, from the 4C spider to - finally - a 4 door saloon which might or might not be called either "Giulia" or "6C", whose prototype is already going around in Italy and it scheduled for a presentation on June 24. For once, they just might have got the marketing part right :)

• Advertisement

Apart from the nose I think that Ferrari is pretty nice.
    I like the nose. It seems to block airflow compared to the others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Sauber have a new pitcrew this year...

PR8zasE.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

christy c wrote: »

Mad, seems like not that long ago Ferrari were taking votes to name the 2014 car! I am liking the 2015 one though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,856 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

That Sauber really looks bare sponsors-wise. It sort of reminds me of the 2011 HRT, except without the cringeworthy "THIS COULD BE YOU" logos on it.

Actually, come to think of it, how the hell did HRT survive 2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,802 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

That Sauber really looks bare sponsors-wise. It sort of reminds me of the 2011 HRT, except without the cringeworthy "THIS COULD BE YOU" logos on it.

Actually, come to think of it, how the hell did HRT survive 2011?

The Sauber C34 doesn't look as bare as the beautiful C12:

Sauber+1993.jpg

As for HRT, Colin Kolles kept that team afloat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

The blue is fine, it's just that yellow and blue are a terrible colour combination.

It doesn't have to be.
    Alonso_(Renault)_qualifying_at_USGP_2005.jpg

Indeed.

Tyrrell_p34-I-B-022.jpg

I found that pic at the below link. While the colour of the model is close to the latest Sauber that's beside the point. Look at the staggering amount of detail gone into the model.

http://www.leighsdiary.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1279223973

• Registered Users Posts: 30,114 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

i like to see a new colours appear in f1. nothing wrong with the blue as such but there's just too much of it, they could do with lines to give a bit more definition to the cars curves or other colours for contrast. Comparing it to the redbull paint work theres a huge difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

The new Merc is my favourite so far, I think it looks even better than last years car which I thought was one of the best looking cars on the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

To be honest I like that Sauber...it essentially has the same "Banco do Brasil" color scheme Nasr used in GP2 last year. In general, F1 cars have been sporting really dull colours in the last few years - dark blues, silver, black...a nice electric blue is a breath of fresh air. Now, if only McLaren had gone for an orange livery - or some historical throwback with a white/red reminescent of the 1980s...it didn't have to look like a packet of cigarettes; Lotus does have a black/gold livery afterall, without a mention of JPS!

I found that pic at the below link. While the colour of the model is close to the latest Sauber that's beside the point. Look at the staggering amount of detail gone into the model.

http://www.leighsdiary.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1279223973
    I remember my ol lad had a model of one of those cars when I was young. It was an airfix type one. Of course some kid had to go playing with it and break, damn kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭tripperman

new STR or interim car which way you read it, has a strange nose design, but they say its to be changed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭lolie

tripperman wrote: »
    new STR or interim car which way you read it, has a strange nose design, but they say its to be changed

You could do your ironing on its nose. Pretty nice car though.
    ed92844c9a347c2d069be4dfd883afbc1.jpg
    7f0a51e9c68d7622b4f58b8fa8ed0ed51.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,856 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

That rear end looks very tight in that 2nd photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

This year's cars are good looking cars, and that's partly because last year's cars looked so terrible.

Man that's a sweet looking car!..except for the snout....actually no, nose looks good too. My favourite shape of all the new models.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Huge airbox. Ted will love that Monkey Seat.

Mercedes is favourite I think.

http://i.imgur.com/2DyJFsN.jpg

I'll probably get lashed out of it for this but I think that 2nd pic of the STR above looks a lot like the Jordan 191. The more I look at it the more stunning it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Interesting fact: this team was an official Alfa Romeo team just like Mercedes and Ferrari are today; "Benetton" was just the title sponsor and the similarity of liveries gets it often called a "Benetton F1" - a fate common with the fashion-brand sponsored Tyrrell from 1983.

Benetton Formula started racing in 1986, after the family bought out the Toleman team (drivers et all).

The '84 & '85 Alfa's were actually proxies run by a team called EuroRacing for Alfa. Alfa supplied the Lira and the very thirsty V8's which ran out of fuel if they didn't blow up! Alfa were to come back as a works engine supplier in 1987 with Ligier but pulled out when Rene Arnoux publicly lambasted the engine and Alfa for its dire performance. I can't remember if that motor was an in-line 4 or a V6....

lolie wrote: »
    You could do your ironing on its nose. Pretty nice car though.
    ed92844c9a347c2d069be4dfd883afbc1.jpg
    7f0a51e9c68d7622b4f58b8fa8ed0ed51.jpg

the flat nose is my dislike for as you said, but its a really well shaped car overall, james kay said its olde front and rear wing on it till barca test and even more new parts for melbourne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Has anybody here been to Malaysian gp? Going to Australia in March with a stop over of a few days in Kuala Lumpur and only just realised the gp is on the Sunday.

Anybody any tips for what seats to get etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,802 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I was reading that this is the 10th season Toro Rosso has been in F1.

Started in 2006 with a year old Red Bull chassis and detuned Cosworth V10 engines.

Scott_Speed_Canada_2006_%28crop%29.PNG

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I was reading that this is the 10th season Toro Rosso has been in F1.

Started in 2006 with a year old Red Bull chassis and detuned Cosworth V10 engines.

Scott_Speed_Canada_2006_%28crop%29.PNG

thats right, speed and liuzzi first season, liuzzi and speed started second season speed dropped for vettel during season

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So, that RB11 test livery is interesting...

https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/561800669330685953

Edit: Just spotted these also, Scarb's thoughts on two of the cars so far. :)

McLaren MP4-30:

Ferrari FS15-T:

Advertisement