Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

I second that -thread title change please svp.
    ClutchIt wrote: »
    Can the admin change the title of this thread to 'Golf Lockdown Discussion' or similar?
    'And we're back' is just depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Beaulieu wrote:
    I second that -thread title change please svp.

We're back where we started would be even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

It is kinda irritating paying membership with no golf potentially until may but that is the game, grass grows and maintenance needed. I would expect every course to be at championship standard when back though with no wear and tear for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

And now it has just been announced that three cases of the Brazilian variant have been discovered in the country. They are all related to
    travel from Brazil. Yet another game changer. Level 5 will be with us for some time come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

We are all in lock down yet tourists or visitors from Brazil bringing in a new strain of covid. Absolutely bonkers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

bailey99 wrote: »
    We are all in lock down yet tourists or visitors from Brazil bringing in a new strain of covid. Absolutely bonkers!

🀣🀪 tourists from Brazil. Jesus Wept.

They are meat plant workers flown over at the behest of Larry Goodman and co. They flew over recently before the mandatory quarantine rules kicked in. Over a 1000 of them. Also seasonal workers from Eastern Europe were flown over to help with harvests later this year. I've a cousin who works with DAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Larry Goodman.

Jaysus there’s a name I haven’t heard in years. Is he still sniffing the Angel Dust? Would have thought he was well retired or even brown bread by now

He flew a thousand over from Brazil. You'd think it'd make the news or smthg if true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Larry is well in with Fine Gael, this won't be a story.

I'm seriously considering going out golfing from easter on at the first sign of good weather. I'm a couple of miles from the course, I'll travel alone.

It's a farce not being allowed out to an open field in the fresh air when Larry fu*king Goodman can bring 1000 people from Brazil over riddled with a dangerous variant.

No more talk about breaking restrictions, this is a flaming post and we don't need anything like that here.
    Vent here for sure, but no posts like that again please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

While I've no time for Larry Goodman I wouldn't be getting too upset when the source is someones cousin in the airport. If this were true the media would be all over it, just like they were when Keelings brought in seasonal workers.

Regardless, the problem lies with the government for their complete failure to implement mandatory quarantine to stop the importation of these variants. Until that is in place we will always be extremely vulnerable to variants. Now we're stuck listening to them saying the legislation is "coming soon".

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Cabinet signed off on the mandatory quarantine legislation 2 days ago, agreed way too slow. Its the mixed messages from ministers that pisses people off with MM saying yesterday that no consideration will be given for hospitality to reopen before mid summer and conversely when questioned also yesterday that "nothing is set in stone" Part of me wonders, no, a lot of me tbh if the approach to opening up was much more transparent and "set in stone" to use MM'S remark for example we will open up outside dining when the the 7 day national average is below 200 per day for 1 week or when icu numbers have been less than 50 for a month. You could pick a number of appropriate metrics for what ever activity is being considered, let us all know and thus encouraging us all to stick with the public health measures as we will know what and when will potentially open up as the numbers reduce or not. One could also argue that once people know that the if the numbers go the wrong way thus closing down various activities they will be less likely to relax and stick with whatever health advisories are in place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Had a yellow whip, putt out and alignment mirror delivered today, might be the next best thing for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Larry is well in with Fine Gael, this won't be a story.

Unless a story is made of it, who will ask the big question That is the question

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Isn't he a stakeholder in some of the papers or has moved away from these

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

And now it has just been announced that three cases of the Brazilian variant have been discovered in the country. They are all related to
    travel from Brazil. Yet another game changer. Level 5 will be with us for some time come.
    Not a game changer yet apparently. loads of variant's all across the globe the majority of which we may not even know about. Dr Glynn said
    “While there is currently no microbiological or epidemiological evidence of any change in transmissibility of P1, this is plausible. Further studies are required to determine whether this variant is likely to have an impact on vaccine effectiveness or infection severity,”

I think cards on the table would be appreciated. We are all big boys, can they just be honest with us?! Do they want to kick us up til September and we are all vaccinated?and then tell us the variants aren't covered by the vaccine so we must lick up again.

The management of this is absolutely farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭higster

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    🀣🀪 tourists from Brazil. Jesus Wept.

They are meat plant workers flown over at the behest of Larry Goodman and co. They flew over recently before the mandatory quarantine rules kicked in. Over a 1000 of them. Also seasonal workers from Eastern Europe were flown over to help with harvests later this year. I've a cousin who works with DAA.

Sorry now but I’m calling BS on this.
    Goodman, Cousin, DAA...FFS.

Sure I heard was nurses will be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

First Sunday morning for a while that I would have loved a game, sun shining and no breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭AOH77A

Just back from a walk in St Catherine's park in Leixlip/Lucan. Absolute mayhem, 100's of cars, guards called to handle traffic control. Looked like they were stopping any more cars entering the park.
    It's a pity the government did not start to think outside the box. I know it will not happen but it would be safer to open golf with the 5k limit in place.
    GUI should tell all affiliated courses that they should allow all GUI members to play at their course once they live within 5k (GUI members can play in any course within 5k even if they are not a member of said course) . The vast majority will have a course within 5k of their house and get a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

AOH77A wrote: »
    Just back from a walk in St Catherine's park in Leixlip/Lucan. Absolute mayhem, 100's of cars, guards called to handle traffic control. Looked like they were stopping any more cars entering the park.
    It's a pity the government did not start to think outside the box. I know it will not happen but it would be safer to open golf with the 5k limit in place.
    GUI should tell all affiliated courses that they should allow all GUI members to play at their course once they live within 5k (GUI members can play in any course within 5k even if they are not a member of said course) . The vast majority will have a course within 5k of their house and get a game.

It's a nice idea but cant see royal Dublin opening up for me or other non members. In rural areas I'm say most people are more than 5km from a golf course. The 5km limit needs to go for all outdoor exercise and outdoor activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

AOH77A wrote: »

how would club know if somebody was a member of the gui????

golfguy1 wrote:
    how would club know if somebody was a member of the gui????

By showing your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

I think that's a great idea. I have the island, Portmarnock links and Portmarnock all within 5k of me. And corballis and malahide, but they won't get a look in.

I'll take a fortnight off work and play a couple thousand euro worth of free golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭CSWS101

We should also let all retail shops open and anyone within 5k can come take any item for free

First Up wrote: »
    By showing your card.

so I give my card to my mate who isn't a member anywhere and doesn't live within 5k. free golf for everyone then

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Obviously free isn't going to work, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to get reduced green fees

Obviously free isn't going to work, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to get reduced green fees

pretty sure time sheets at majority of clubs will be full without an influx of greenfees

golfguy1 wrote:
    so I give my card to my mate who isn't a member anywhere and doesn't live within 5k. free golf for everyone then

They might offer some reduction from standard green fees but certainly not free. GUI card and photo ID would keep people honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

The Times in the UK reporting tonight that the roadmap for opening starts with golf and tennis on March 8th.

Going to be very interesting if golf courses in the North are open in March.

Advertisement