Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

First Up wrote: »
    They might offer some reduction from standard green fees but certainly not free. GUI card and photo ID would keep people honest.

that means every single player having to check in, having to arrive earlier and spending unnecessary time indoors with others.. surely that's what we are trying to avoid in the first place.

not to mention the old argument of what % off should clubs give?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm trying to get my head around if visitors will be allowed at golf clubs at all - I'm just trying to get my head around getting a game of golf - but lads are planning all sorts of stuff.

But I guess if staycations are happening in Ireland (I can't see this not happening - as the GPO would genuinely be stormed). There will be capacity in rural clubs for green fees - so there probably will be golf for visitors.

Clubs with big membership and placed in large rural areas - can't see how they will have any visitors with the pressures on time sheets - as even the best optimist could hardly see clubs being back to normal 4 ball time sheets.

I know we are all keen for golf to be fully back - but I think people should probably realize - it will not be summer golf as we know it. About 3 9 holes a week - will be a massive result in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

I’d rather no golf than being forced to allow non members on our timesheet, people who haven’t paid joining fees or subs, just because they are within 5km.

It’s tough enough for our members getting on timesheets and tough for clubs finances without expecting then to offer reduced green fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

golfguy1 wrote:
    that means every single player having to check in, having to arrive earlier and spending unnecessary time indoors with others.. surely that's what we are trying to avoid in the first place.
    Clubs have been geared up for that since they re-opened after the first lock down. You form a socially distant queue and arrive in time. How long extra does it take to show a GUI card and driving licence ?
    golfguy1 wrote:
    not to mention the old argument of what % off should clubs give?
    That's up to each club.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

What do you think of non members and non golfers using golf clubs for walks, runs etc at the moment?

• Advertisement

Clubs have been geared up for that since they re-opened after the first lock down. You form a socially distant queue and arrive in time. How long extra does it take to show a GUI card and driving licence ?

members in most clubs have had 1 member of their group sign in the full line.

That's up to each club.
    can see the uproar that would cause on this page when for example a portnarnock or a ballybunion offer 5% off.

think we will all be grateful just to play our home course again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

What do you think of non members and non golfers using golf clubs for walks, runs etc at the moment?

No issue, lots of space. I've been in my own a few times, live beside it.

ForeRight wrote: »
    The Times in the UK reporting tonight that the roadmap for opening starts with golf and tennis on March 8th.

Going to be very interesting if golf courses in the North are open in March.

If the North goes back golfing on 8th March there will be a stampede from the south up to play green fees. Interesting to see if they allow that to happen or will visitors be restricted.

I'd be very much against it. We used to have the odd occasion where people would go up walking their dogs and golfers out on the course. They had no idea of the dangers and would just come walking down the middle of the fairway sometimes with children. Not something I'd like to become a habit.

golfguy1 wrote:
    can see the uproar that would cause on this page when for example a portnarnock or a ballybunion offer 5% off.

think we will all be grateful just to play our home course again

I think the idea is to give people access to a course within 5k or in their own county. That's fair enough but I think it would have to be agreed directly between clubs on numbers, access to time sheet etc.

I don't see clubs in Dublin opening their doors to members of clubs in Wicklow, Meath, Kildare or Louth. How many people living in those counties are members of clubs in Dublin?

• Advertisement

My club is private property, they shouldn’t be on it in non covid times and shouldn’t be there now.

I think the idea is to give people access to a course within 5k or in their own county. That's fair enough but I think it would have to be agreed directly between clubs on numbers, access to time sheet etc.

I don't see clubs in Dublin opening their doors to members of clubs in Wicklow, Meath, Kildare or Louth. How many people living in those counties are members of clubs in Dublin?

Very few I suspect as mostly it’s an issue of cost of membership.

If the rules don’t permit golfers to travel to their own club and green fees are not being accepted by clubs within their travel area, then tough luck IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭plumber77

If the North goes back golfing on 8th March there will be a stampede from the south up to play green fees. Interesting to see if they allow that to happen or will visitors be restricted.

If we can't travel outside our county unlikely to be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Am I the only one optimistic that the roadmap may speed up when data starts to show that vaccine roll out in the elderly and vulnerable has crushed hospital admissions??

A bit of optimism doesn’t hurt when everyone is in foul form and whinging non stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Am I the only one optimistic that the roadmap may speed up when data starts to show that vaccine roll out in the elderly and vulnerable has crushed hospital admissions??

A bit of optimism doesn’t hurt when everyone is in foul form and whinging non stop.

No harm being optimistic but the problem is the easing if restrictions has nothing to do hospital admissions or numbers in ICU. It's dependent on vaccination numbers. That's why they have ruled out anything changing for the next 11weeks at the earliest.

They can do that because they number the number if vaccines received over the next 11 weeks. I'd saw it doesn't matter a dam when courses in the north open up.

I think Tuesday after the June bank holiday is the earliest likely date for same. I've said that before and been shot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

For insurance reasons visitors should not be allowed on courses for the purposes you mention.

It's sad, but that's the country we live in.

bailey99 wrote: »
    I think Tuesday after the June bank holiday is the earliest likely date for same. I've said that before and been shot down.

They are going to have to make a decision on outdoor activities though long before June. People will end up revolting. Beaches, beauty spots, tennis golf etc is all relatively safe. They need to open them up.

No harm being optimistic but the problem is the easing if restrictions has nothing to do hospital admissions or numbers in ICU.

so are you saying if we had no hospital admissions or ICU we would still have restrictions??

you are depressing me with ur June bank holiday assessment??
    if the north were to be back golfing by march 8th we wont be too far behind

• Registered Users Posts: 20 WWEfansince90s

Not a great source admittedly but I see the Mirror have mentioned that: ‘Golf, tennis and other non-contact outdoor sports and training are all going to be considered as part of the next step in reopening the country.’

So maybe before Easter is possible?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/lockdown-ireland-governments-new-living-23540708.amp

golfguy1 wrote: »
    so are you saying if we had no hospital admissions or ICU we would still have restrictions??

you are depressing me with ur June bank holiday assessment??
    if the north were to be back golfing by march 8th we wont be too far behind

Lockdown was designed to protect the hospital system and stop it being overwhelmed yet this guy thinks hospital admissions down by 90%(other countries are showing that data so far) means nothing.

Not a chance level 5 severity is in place if all the over 70’s are vaccinated and people are not getting sick enough for hospital treatment.

I can’t take Bailey serious after he told us his local hospital was overwhelmed with people in their 30’s with covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

The mirror "leak" suggesting outdoor sports will be an early consideration is welcome, however, if the 5km limit remains then IMO is not going to be of any assistance to most club members. I reckon only 20% of members in my club live within 5km. IMO golf should be for members only for the 1st couple of months.

I would love to get be back before Easter but feel after may bank holiday is more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

The Times in the UK reporting tonight that the roadmap for opening starts with golf and tennis on March 8th.

Going to be very interesting if golf courses in the North are open in March.

Sky News reporting golf courses in England will reopen on March 29th.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Sky News reporting golf courses in England will reopen on March 29th.

I'd take that here too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'd take that here too

Lads the UK are unbelievably more advanced than us. Completely pointless using them as even a reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Not a chance level 5 severity is in place if all the over 70’s are vaccinated and people are not getting sick enough for hospital treatment.

You've changed your tune. The over 70's are forecasted to be vaccinated at the end of may. There's 470,000 in this age group. So I agree things will or I expect things to change when this group are vaccinated. That's the end of may or start of June.

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it changing until that point. And the reports in the media seem to be consistent in that nothing is really going to change bar schools and construction until may at the earliest.

That might be start of may, middle of may or end of may. I think in my opinion, and everyone has their own opinion , it'll be end of may or specially start of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I can’t take Bailey serious after he told us his local hospital was overwhelmed with people in their 30’s with covid.

I haven’t taken him seriously since his first post on this thread

You've changed your tune. The over 70's are forecasted to be vaccinated at the end of may. There's 470,000 in this age group. So I agree things will or I expect things to change when this group are vaccinated. That's the end of may or start of June.

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it changing until that point. And the reports in the media seem to be consistent in that nothing is really going to change bar schools and construction until may at the earliest.

That might be start of may, middle of may or end of may. I think in my opinion, and everyone has their own opinion , it'll be end of may or specially start of June.

I’m hoping that we can play at Easter. I’m
    Hoping the government roadmap is sped up as numbers fall and data looks good. Sure won’t they look like great fellas then.
    I haven’t changed my tune at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Would love Easter but I'd say May is a lot more likely. Government Need to get the finger out and let us know what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Wishing for = week 22nd March (no chance)
    Optimistic = 12th April (doubtful)
    Pessimistic = 10th May (more likely)
    Potentially = 14th June (ah Jazus)

To be fair, none of us have a clue and I’d be very surprised if see any real clarification this week either.

I’ll be looking at what are saying re GAA. Once they start opening up golf will as well (and I don’t think golf will be “let out” before GAA even though it should logically but again, optics would not be good).

• Advertisement

Would love Easter but I'd say May is a lot more likely. Government Need to get the finger out and let us know what's happening.

I'd expect the government to tell us as soon as they know themselves and that depends on how people behave.

People's actions spread the virus. Nothing else. The longer we are having house parties and parks and beaches are crowded, the longer hospitals will be full and golf courses will remain empty.

It isn't the government's finger that needs to be got out.

Advertisement