Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

First Up wrote: »
    I'd expect the government to tell us as soon as they know themselves and that depends on how people behave.

People's actions spread the virus. Nothing else. The longer we are having house parties and parks and beaches are crowded, the longer hospitals will be full and golf courses will remain empty.

It isn't the government's finger that needs to be got out.

Unfortunately those people having house parties and gatherings are too dumb to realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

What a beautiful morning for a round of golf....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Stacksey wrote: »
    What a beautiful morning for a round of golf....

Gorgeous in Mayo. a nice breeze but sun shining. Sickening that we cant even play within our own households.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

etxp wrote: »
    Gorgeous in Mayo. a nice breeze but sun shining. Sickening that we cant even play within our own households.

Because the weather has been soo crap since December there was nothing to really miss but now is going to be the testing time, let's just hope we're back in April and just in time for the April Medal, straight into Stoke play off the back sticks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Something about playing Golf from mid March to around Mid May that I love. Everything around ya in nature coming to life. Weather is nice without being too warm. Conditions always seem be fair. Always my favourite time to play.

I just hope we can play in April.

Days like today you would even miss just going to driving range, something that you might take for granted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

ForeRight wrote: »
    Am I the only one optimistic that the roadmap may speed up when data starts to show that vaccine roll out in the elderly and vulnerable has crushed hospital admissions??

A bit of optimism doesn’t hurt when everyone is in foul form and whinging non stop.

I've been called a pessimist by my mates right from the start of this, but as I said to them, they were confusing pessimism with realism. Most of my calls were correct in how the pandemic panned out with respect to travel, pubs and change to indoor behaviours. It didn't come as a surprise to me, the current golf lockdown

I'm looking at the weather today, and feel like there's only positivity on the horizon, and I fully believe the roadmap may change quite quickly too. While the government messages haven't been that clear, there is no point in turning to the anti-government side in order for clarity, as that side if full of noise, and just as incoherent, and not helping anyone. It seems to be amplified due to social media too.

Looking at Israel now, the turnaround seems to be quite dramatic. I'd say we'll see those type of numbers in the UK, come the mid to end of March. We've already been promised 1m vaccines administered in each month of April, May and June, but the number of hospitalisations, will have dramatically dropped by mid April here, leading me to believe, something will happen here from Easter regarding golf.

Having a border with the UK, was a disadvantage to us, for the past year, now I think differently. The UK having a border with us, is now a disadvantage to them, considering the speed of their vaccination programme. They'll have excess vaccines come the mid to end of June, and it's their interests to supply those vaccines to their bordering neighbour

All in all, March is a wipe out, for sure, but I'm optimistic (realistic) thereafter. One thing for certain, within reason, I'll never ever turn down a game of golf again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

If we're not back to golf March 5th I'd be seriously disappointed (understatement). Wherever one stands on restrictions in general not allowing golf requires very serious mental gymnastics.

Now that they talked themselves into a corner last week they'll have to give people some reprieve or they will lose public support very quickly. If golf isn't included in that reprieve I dont know what would be.

I have tee times booked starting March 5th. Just in case. Doesnt mean I'm actually confident, nothing surprises me anymore in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

If we're not back to golf March 5th I'd be seriously disappointed (understatement). Wherever one stands on restrictions in general not allowing golf requires very serious mental gymnastics.

I think a return to golf on 5 March is highly unlikely.

Restrictions are only going to be eased in line with vaccination numbers, not infection/hospital numbers any more. Considering that Britain is significantly ahead of us in terms of vaccination and their golf courses won't open until 29 March, I think we'll be doing well to get back on the course before May.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I think a return to golf on 5 March is highly unlikely.

Restrictions are only going to be eased in line with vaccination numbers, not infection/hospital numbers any more. Considering that Britain is significantly ahead of us in terms of vaccination and their golf courses won't open until 29 March, I think we'll be doing well to get back on the course before May.

Mmmh, you state quite matter of factly. Why do you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Mmmh, you state quite matter of factly. Why do you think that?

Stop feeding the troll....nothing has changed

ICU numbers is most important.

My understanding is that roughly 50-70% of people currently in ICU will die. But death is long and drawn out.

The 150 people in ICU is the most important number, followed closely by case numbers as this a measure of future people who will go in ICU

If it were based on vaccinations then we would know the road map as we know when people will be vaccinated

Was half expecting to get vaccinated myself on Thursday but just been informed that wont be happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Stop feeding the troll....nothing has changed

Trolling:confused:

The tone and focus from political leaders, NPHET and the HSE has now moved firmly away from infection rates/hospitalisation to vaccination rates being the KPI that will determine when restrictions are eased. Paul Reid's comments on Claire Byrne's show this morning is a good example of this.

It's pointless lifting this lockdown now, only to be thrown into a new one in a couple of weeks when the numbers inevitably spike, costing more lives and putting front line staff through the ringer yet again. What will stop these awful spikes, we all hope, are the vaccinations - and until such time as they're rolled out in greater numbers it's hard to see any easing.

The tone and focus from political leaders, NPHET and the HSE has now moved firmly away from infection rates/hospitalisation to vaccination rates being the KPI that will determine when restrictions are eased. Paul Reid's comments on Claire Byrne's show this morning is a good example of this.

It's pointless lifting this lockdown now, only to be thrown into a new one in a couple of weeks when the numbers inevitably spike, costing more lives and putting front line staff through the ringer yet again. What will stop these awful spikes, we all hope, are the vaccinations - and until such time as they're rolled out in greater numbers it's hard to see any easing.

Vaccinations only protect against spikes. The main drivers are still ICU capacity and case numbers. Case numbers have stopped coming down is the reason for slowdown in reopening

R number is somewhere between 0.9 and 1. Opening schools will presumably throw it above 1. But with at risk groups vaccinated the hospitalisation rate should decrease

You are making statements of fact from the tone of peoples voices and choosing information to back that decision you have made

We are simply waiting for a number of people to die

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

It's pointless lifting this lockdown now,

Agreed - except where it pertains to people being able to get out and exercise in a safe distanced manner.
    Lockdown on golf, tennis, outdoor family excursions to beaches/parks or whatever - not needed and only punishing the decent people who respect the dangers.
    Should be lifted asap and I expect them to be lifted around Easter. (though if it was up to me would never have been banned anyway.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Fine Gael Senator, Sean Kyne, calls for exemption to 5km travel limit for golfers and sea swimmers.

A terrible call, ya can't single out golf and swimming, exclude hiking, walking, tennis and other non contact sports and expect it to be well received..

If he made a better argument then this would be good news, but singleing out golf will only bring out the argumentative in non golfers..

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-senator-calls-for-exemption-to-5km-travel-limit-for-golfers-and-sea-swimmers-1.4491905

Junior, senior, first and second class back to school March. Exam years back too but all other primary and secondary classes after Easter.

Golf to be reviewed or opening mid April.

Fingers crossed for Easter.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40231649.html

Junior, senior, first and second class back to school March. Exam years back too but all other primary and secondary classes after Easter.

Golf to be reviewed or opening mid April.

Fingers crossed for Easter.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40231649.html

Again someones opinion...not based on fact

Its as valid as someone heres opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 21,227 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Can't think of a specific thread for this, but when do people think golf shops will be reopening? Never paid attention to it for other lockdowns, assume they fall under the non-essential retail banner but could be wrong.

I also assume its better to get fitted for a new driver rather than just get one online?

Mushy wrote: »
    Can't think of a specific thread for this, but when do people think golf shops will be reopening? Never paid attention to it for other lockdowns, assume they fall under the non-essential retail banner but could be wrong.

I also assume its better to get fitted for a new driver rather than just get one online?

Obviously better get fitted when parting with that amount of cash

You got to guess it will be long after golf courses open

• Registered Users Posts: 21,227 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Obviously better get fitted when parting with that amount of cash

You got to guess it will be long after golf courses open

Yeah thats my thinking, although no doubt something else will come up before then to push it out again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think there’s a lot of doom mongering going on at present. Last year golf opened up at the end of June and things went grand then.

I do see April as being the turning point really. People will be so fed up of restrictions at that point that they will have to make concessions. Golf/tennis will be low hanging fruit

Remember golf was back well before GAA last year which inspired a quantity of the new members

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

flanzer wrote: »
    I've been called a pessimist by my mates right from the start of this, but as I said to them, they were confusing pessimism with realism. Most of my calls were correct in how the pandemic panned out with respect to travel, pubs and change to indoor behaviours. It didn't come as a surprise to me, the current golf lockdown

I'm looking at the weather today, and feel like there's only positivity on the horizon, and I fully believe the roadmap may change quite quickly too. While the government messages haven't been that clear, there is no point in turning to the anti-government side in order for clarity, as that side if full of noise, and just as incoherent, and not helping anyone. It seems to be amplified due to social media too.

Looking at Israel now, the turnaround seems to be quite dramatic. I'd say we'll see those type of numbers in the UK, come the mid to end of March. We've already been promised 1m vaccines administered in each month of April, May and June, but the number of hospitalisations, will have dramatically dropped by mid April here, leading me to believe, something will happen here from Easter regarding golf.

Having a border with the UK, was a disadvantage to us, for the past year, now I think differently. The UK having a border with us, is now a disadvantage to them, considering the speed of their vaccination programme. They'll have excess vaccines come the mid to end of June, and it's their interests to supply those vaccines to their bordering neighbour

All in all, March is a wipe out, for sure, but I'm optimistic (realistic) thereafter. One thing for certain, within reason, I'll never ever turn down a game of golf again!

Bear in mind that the UK have vaccinated people using a single dose strategy when in fact a second dose is required. The efficacy of the single dose drops quite a bit without the follow up boost that the second dose provides. The second dose will happen but is being delayed so as to improve vaccinated numbers. I'm lucky enough to have received my two doses and I can tell you that the second dose definitely had a much different effect to the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Macker1 wrote: »
    Bear in mind that the UK have vaccinated people using a single dose strategy when in fact a second dose is required. The efficacy of the single dose drops quite a bit without the follow up boost that the second dose provides. The second dose will happen but is being delayed so as to improve vaccinated numbers. I'm lucky enough to have received my two doses and I can tell you that the second dose definitely had a much different effect to the first.

Can you feel the immunity coursing through your veins after the second dose?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

How was it different. Just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Did you have side effects Macker ?

slingerz wrote: »
    Last year golf opened up at the end of June and things went grand then.
    rs

It opened on 18th of May i think.

Did you have side effects Macker ?

First Dose nothing but a sore arm for a day comparable to getting the flu jab.

Second dose hit me a lot more a day after getting it. A lot of aches and pains and flu like symptoms with headaches and some tiredness on the second day. This had passed by the following day and I've been fine ever since (about two weeks ago)

Most people in the job took up the option of getting vaccinated and based on just my team around 40% had some effects with some of those unable to stay in work.

It hasn't changed anything for me as the restrictions are still in place in work and until the vaccination levels in the country are a lot higher it won't make a blind bit of difference. I would have given up getting the jabs if I could have given my mother my place. I wish they would hurry up.

hurikane wrote: »
    Can you feel the immunity coursing through your veins after the second dose?

I felt bulletproof overnight :p

I felt bulletproof overnight :p

I had a temp a bad headache and chills 24hrs after mine but when I woke the next day I was fresh as a daisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I had a temp a bad headache and chills 24hrs after mine but when I woke the next day I was fresh as a daisy.

None of this sounds great .

It sounds like getting mild covid . What you get anyway.

• Advertisement

None of this sounds great .

It sounds like getting mild covid . What you get anyway.

Most vaccines have minor effects like this. 2 paracetamol and it’s fine sure most kids get a bit of a temp after their shots. That’s how vaccines work I suppose. They promote any immuno response.
    I wouldn’t class it as getting mild covid as I’ve heard of nobody I work with having any respiratory issues after it at all. Just a few people with temps and a little headache lasting a couple of hours. I’d say maybe 1/10 people.
    I got Astrazenica.

Advertisement