Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

Seve OB wrote: »
    When I read the article earlier I thought it was an old one because she mentions Nike planning to make a biodegradable golf ball.
    I mean how long are Nike out of the golf game now! 5 years I think.

Someone sent me a Rick Sheils video where he spoke about the RZNs returning but without the Nike logo.

Apparently the RZN Nike golf balls are very sought after, I suppose if they were to make a comeback, perhaps biodegradable golf balls is their in.

https://youtu.be/ByXjKYeiaCA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Lockdown in Northern Ireland extended until at least 1st April. So no return of golf up North until then at least. :(

Always going to happen....they didn’t want the Paddys celebrating their big day!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Someone sent me a Rick Sheils video where he spoke about the RZNs returning but without the Nike logo.

Apparently the RZN Nike golf balls are very sought after, I suppose if they were to make a comeback, perhaps biodegradable golf balls is their in.

https://youtu.be/ByXjKYeiaCA

I’ve a bunch of them, some new, some used (not by me). Have some markings on them “Rors”.
    Must be worth a few quid so...... might even stick them up on adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Here's a FAR more comprehensive article that argues the opposite

http://www.greenkeepingeu.com/no-golf-courses-are-not-bad-for-the-environment/

(Though the RTE article is very poorly written and contains awful content, if it's kickstarts a discussion about these sort of things it's probably not a bad thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,210 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That rte article is top level journism:

Reason 1: golf balls
    Reason 2: plastics, but nothing specific to golf
    Reason 3: golf balls
    Reason 4: lack of biodiversity

Waste of server space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Lockdown in Northern Ireland extended until at least 1st April. So no return of golf up North until then at least. :(

Great info thanks.
    Can't see republic being any different so :-(
    No golf till April ffs. I really am cracking up without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Great info thanks.
    Can't see republic being any different so :-(
    No golf till April ffs. I really am cracking up without it.

Well you will be happy with April because if Bailey has his way we might get golf at all this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Interesting article online re restriction staying in place til may. I'd say people would take april.golf now wouldn't they.

Nothing confirmed yet, but February now and they are flying that kite. Doesn't bode well. But not a surprise to everyone I'm sure.

Hopefully.i have it all wrong and we have the captain's drive in next month though.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Reading that mirror interview Im beginning to think golf will not return before may. An outdoor not contact socially distanced sport should be able to resume a lot earlier.

It's tough working from home for 11 months and the best social release looks like remaining closed for over a third of the year.

I fear for a number of clubs survival if golf remains closed till may. I could see members not joining for 2021 and joining back up in 2022.

Ya, with all the pessimistic reports, I guess I would take April now if it was offered. Be great to have a date to look forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

RGS wrote: »
    Reading that mirror interview Im beginning to think golf will not return before may. An outdoor not contact socially distanced sport should be able to resume a lot earlier.

It's tough working from home for 11 months and the best social release looks like remaining closed for over a third of the year.

I fear for a number of clubs survival if golf remains closed till may. I could see members not joining for 2021 and joining back up in 2022.

if they open may there will be a lot more new members than members leaving, people are mad to get back to it

I agree people want to play but people may look at why pay a full yearly sub in May for what may only be 4/5 months golf if leo's 4th wave in winter leads to another lockdown.

it going to be hard watching the bright evenings in April and no chance of going out to play 9 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Mentioned on news this morning that lockdown restrictions may not ease until May!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

I agree people want to play but people may look at why pay a full yearly sub in May for what may only be 4/5 months golf if leo's 4th wave in winter leads to another lockdown.

it going to be hard watching the bright evenings in April and no chance of going out to play 9 holes.

I’m a little more bullish on the idea of a winter wave but I do agree with the sentiment of what you’re saying.

Also, I think what is somewhat different about the next reopening is that golf previously had the advantage of reopening when quite a lot of other activities remained shut.

This gave golf a massive advantage especially in new membership.

This time -rightly or wrongly- more activities will reopen together so those new players that gravitated towards the game last year may have more options.
    Additionally, as you say, previously loyal players may not want to fork out the full subs for a smaller window of playing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I could see members not joining for 2021 and joining back up in 2022.

I wonder where they will join, how far they will have to travel and how much the entrance fee will be if they take that approach...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Looks like May at the earliest now, with only casual 2 man golf allowed until the winter.

thankfully must subs are March to March so big decision to be made in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Looks like May at the earliest now, with only casual 2 man golf allowed until the winter.

thankfully must subs are March to March so big decision to be made in the next few weeks.

Where picking this up? Just haven’t seen it myself (especially the 2 man golf bit).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

This thread has become a trolling paradise as long as it trolling people about never ending lockdowns

Received an infraction myself for joking about the sad truth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Personally am playing the waiting game for my father in law to die. Was informed yesterday that he had hours to days left and we are literally sitting in a room together waiting for a call. We are completely resigned to the fact. Oxygen was turned off yesterday but this could go for weeks

Been told by medical professionals working in hospitals that the vast majority of people in Irish ICUs are in the same or similar position

Bill Ponderosa comment on 2 ball casual golf till winter, if true, needs major push back--there are a number of issues with this.
    if this is to become reality then all other sports(below elite level) i.e club GAA & club soccer will not take place this year.
    If true it means a household/social bubble currently allowed, cant play golf together.
    Competitive and casual golf are not that different.
    Inter club golf will also be off the table.

• Advertisement

higster wrote: »
    Where picking this up? Just haven’t seen it myself (especially the 2 man golf bit).

Well all the leaks at the moment are that level 5 is here until the start of May. Presuming courses open then you can be sure there will be lots of restrictions under level 4 which I'd imagine would be casual golf only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Well all the leaks at the moment are that level 5 is here until the start of May. Presuming courses open then you can be sure there will be lots of restrictions under level 4 which I'd imagine would be casual golf only.

A lot of presuming and imagining there:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

They announced the plans for schools return this morning and basically it will be after Easter before all classes/years are back. Even this is based on the numbers dropping further.

There is not a chance we will have golf open before schools fully open. So 12th April is the new target date in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

To take an optimistic view, which is my nature, the government may be playing silly buggers a bit. I remember them highlighting how people's behaviour changed the last time they announced restrictions were easing in the last couple of weeks of lockdown and how compliance went down.

They may be attempting to avoid that scenario this time by suggesting the lockdown will be extended. Personally I think it's a terrible way to treat one's citizens, to believe they can't be trusted and have to be continually spoken down to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

To take an optimistic view, which is my nature, the government may be playing silly buggers a bit. I remember them highlighting how people's behaviour changed the last time they announced restrictions were easing in the last couple of weeks of lockdown and how compliance went down.

They may be attempting to avoid that scenario this time by suggesting the lockdown will be extended. Personally I think it's a terrible way to treat one's citizens, to believe they can't be trusted and have to be continually spoken down to.

I agree, but in fairness, they're not wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

A May return would be hard to swallow. Holding onto the fact that rumours are just that and that there is still a chance for an April reopening at the worst.

You would hope things will improve a lot in March, and if NI start reopening in early April (big if) we all know from experience that there would be little point in the south trying to go it on our own and maintaining level 5 restrictions. Maybe we'll align with them more closely going forward, which could allow for a return before it's officially summer. Or maybe Im clutching at straws.

I will say that the prospect of paying a full sub for an (at best) May start would irritate me. I'll still pay because I dont see an alternative, but with that late a start, proper inter clubs are gone, lots of open fixtures are gone or compromised and year long club comps (POY, matchplay events) will be wiped out.

So the q becomes not what your club are going to do about things, but what will Golf Ireland do? Surely the levy must be refunded at the very least?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

A May return would be hard to swallow. Holding onto the fact that rumours are just that and that there is still a chance for an April reopening at the worst.

You would hope things will improve a lot in March, and if NI start reopening in early April (big if) we all know from experience that there would be little point in the south trying to go it on our own and maintaining level 5 restrictions. Maybe we'll align with them more closely going forward, which could allow for a return before it's officially summer. Or maybe Im clutching at straws.

I will say that the prospect of paying a full sub for an (at best) May start would irritate me. I'll still pay because I dont see an alternative, but with that late a start, proper inter clubs are gone, lots of open fixtures are gone or compromised and year long club comps (POY, matchplay events) will be wiped out.

So the q becomes not what your club are going to do about things, but what will Golf Ireland do? Surely the levy must be refunded at the very least?

And remember that it will be May when we get on the course, not when golf gets back to normal.
    Seems like 2021 will be pretty wiped out from a sport point of view.

A lot of presuming and imagining there:rolleyes:

Sad reality lad

Can the admin change the title of this thread to 'Golf Lockdown Discussion' or similar?
    'And we're back' is just depressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I’ve just watched the video of Martin talking about restrictions into may.
    At no point does he say level 5 restrictions for 9 more weeks. He says there will still be severe restrictions in place to may.
    To me that could mean anything, level 5 like now or level 4 with some outdoor activity allowed for kids, golf, tennis etc. Maybe no inter county travel or maybe still the 5km rule.
    It could mean anything imo. Severe could mean still no form of hospitality. I’m still hopeful of golf for Easter.
    I fail to see what he said as confirmation that we will be exactly as we are now for another 9 weeks.

Advertisement