Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Fine Gael Senator, Sean Kyne, calls for exemption to 5km travel limit for golfers and sea swimmers.

A terrible call, ya can't single out golf and swimming, exclude hiking, walking, tennis and other non contact sports and expect it to be well received..

If he made a better argument then this would be good news, but singleing out golf will only bring out the argumentative in non golfers..

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-senator-calls-for-exemption-to-5km-travel-limit-for-golfers-and-sea-swimmers-1.4491905

Truth in what you say but bear in mind he made particular reference to retirees -who would' be a large proportion of the golfing cohort especially on weekdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

slingerz wrote: »
    I think there’s a lot of doom mongering going on at present. Last year golf opened up at the end of June and things went grand then.

I do see April as being the turning point really. People will be so fed up of restrictions at that point that they will have to make concessions. Golf/tennis will be low hanging fruit

Remember golf was back well before GAA last year which inspired a quantity of the new members

Just for the record - golf was back last year at the end of May ...subject to 5 km limit then in place.
    Source ? ...my diary !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Level 5 extended until at least Easter. Hopefully that's the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

boardise wrote: »
    Just for the record - golf was back last year at the end of May ...subject to 5 km limit then in place.
    Source ? ...my diary !

Could be old age or a side effect of covid and zoom. But I've lost memory of all the sequence. Most of these in there.

4 ball 12 minutes
    3 ball every 10 ?
    2 ball at one point
    Back and front 9 hole golf
    18 hole and 9 hole
    18 hole only
    People just playing when closed
    5km only
    People ignoring 5km only period
    Clubs stopping no 5k
    Lads back from Spain golf
    No practice
    No clubhouse
    Clubhouse
    Lads drinking in car park golf
    No visitors
    No competition
    Competition with cards
    No cards
    E cards
    And digital score cards
    Flag in
    Inverted cups
    Ball removal tools
    No bunkers. No raking . Plastic rake
    Even masks at one point by some
    Northern Ireland golf
    A piss up at golf gate

You'd have to say . Wasn't by lack of trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Irish times today, level 5 to be extended till Apr 5th. I'm hopeful that golf should be allowed at that time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭plumber77

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Irish times today, level 5 to be extended till Apr 5th. I'm hopeful that golf should be allowed at that time

Just in time for the Masters. Would be like Xmas for golfers IF that was to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

plumber77 wrote: »
    Just in time for the Masters. Would be like Xmas for golfers IF that was to happen

Could well be the actual christmas......sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

ClutchIt wrote: »
    The return of schools next week I’m fearful could mess up everything yet for sport. If it causes case to go up again then it’s a near certainty that level 5 will be continued until May and possibly further

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'm pissed off. Out for a run the other day and passed a few houses who just didn't give a flying f*&^ and were constructing extensions. Small private contractors with no shame, company names all over the place working away.
    Passing by Coolmine sports campus I saw best part of a hundred kids / teenagers and quite possibly older men grouped together and playing full contact Astro over the weekend
    Then I'm hearing of beauty salons opening up today and booked solid, girl in work tells me her sister in law is opening their window business next week.
    Now I've sympathy for these people and I do actually believe that something needs to be done by the government to allow people to get back to normal, but the fact is we are in a lockdown and the majority of people are abiding the rules. Some self centred dicks seem to believe that they are above everyone else. :rolleyes:
    To make it worse, even if I wanted to break the law and play golf, I can't unless somebody breaks the law and opens a course....... which ain't going to happen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

benji79 wrote: »
    The return of schools next week I’m fearful could mess up everything yet for sport. If it causes case to go up again then it’s a near certainty that level 5 will be continued until May and possibly further

Schools were open last year for a long while up to December and didn’t cause too many problems to be fair.

• Advertisement

ForeRight wrote: »
    Schools were open last year for a long while up to December and didn’t cause too many problems to be fair.

Daily figures were a lot lower though then so that helped a lot. Plus those new variants seem to be a problem that wasn’t there pre Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

benji79 wrote: »
    Daily figures were a lot lower though then so that helped a lot. Plus those new variants seem to be a problem that wasn’t there pre Christmas

We also didn’t have vaccines rolling out last year.
    We may have a few extra cases when schools open up but it shouldn’t be an issue with the elderly getting vaccinated as they are in the extreme majority the ones needing hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I am quietly confident that golf will be open before April 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 34,063 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I don't know about you guys but I have never wanted to slice my driver 100 yards out of bounds as much as I do now:pac:

I say start of April is best we can hope for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Break80 wrote: »
    I never thought I would say it.
    I would play in a monsoon naked right now. ( Some sight I know)

Jesus I wished I stayed out at Captains Prize in Dooks last year:):):)

You and the rest of your fellow corkians. Thats why Dublin is The Capital ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

I work for a UK company. Golf has been open in the UK nearly right the way through. Closed in 1 or 2 lock-downs but only for a few weeks. There current one been the longest. Definitely not closed for as long as here! Even when they had really high numbers. I could be wrong but I think one of the bosses said its still opened in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Fine Gael Senator, Sean Kyne, calls for exemption to 5km travel limit for golfers and sea swimmers.

A terrible call, ya can't single out golf and swimming, exclude hiking, walking, tennis and other non contact sports and expect it to be well received..

If he made a better argument then this would be good news, but singleing out golf will only bring out the argumentative in non golfers..

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-senator-calls-for-exemption-to-5km-travel-limit-for-golfers-and-sea-swimmers-1.4491905

I know non-golfers who said they would love for golf to be allowed again as it would at least give them some hope other things could possibly open.

"Speaking about whether this would benefit middle class people above others" from another report I read. If people went to my local par 3 they'd know that it's far from posh, middle class people that play golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

boardise wrote: »
    Source ? ...my diary !

End of June before any competitions were allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Seve OB wrote: »
    I'm pissed off. Out for a run the other day and passed a few houses who just didn't give a flying f*&^ and were constructing extensions. Small private contractors with no shame, company names all over the place working away.
    Passing by Coolmine sports campus I saw best part of a hundred kids / teenagers and quite possibly older men grouped together and playing full contact Astro over the weekend
    Then I'm hearing of beauty salons opening up today and booked solid, girl in work tells me her sister in law is opening their window business next week.
    Now I've sympathy for these people and I do actually believe that something needs to be done by the government to allow people to get back to normal, but the fact is we are in a lockdown and the majority of people are abiding the rules. Some self centred dicks seem to believe that they are above everyone else. :rolleyes:
    To make it worse, even if I wanted to break the law and play golf, I can't unless somebody breaks the law and opens a course....... which ain't going to happen :(

Who would have thought running would be more frustrating than golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

ForeRight wrote: »

Not comparable, the cases were going up and up in the lead up to xmas and it wasn’t that easy to pin it on one particular area. Contract tracing was failing.

If the cases go up now, nothing else has been reopened, so it’ll be easy to see whether it’s causing spread it not. They’ll be traced and they’ll have the data on the number of clusters in schools. Fingers crossed it’ll be grand.

It’s hard to see people on golf courses before all the students are back to school mid April though.

• Advertisement

Raisins wrote: »
    Not comparable, the cases were going up and up in the lead up to xmas and it wasn’t that easy to pin it on one particular area. Contract tracing was failing.

If the cases go up now, nothing else has been reopened, so it’ll be easy to see whether it’s causing spread it not. They’ll be traced and they’ll have the data on the number of clusters in schools. Fingers crossed it’ll be grand.

It’s hard to see people on golf courses before all the students are back to school mid April though.

12 th of April before my young lad in School - extraordinary stuff. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Paul Hosford in the Examiner reckons we could see golf, tennis etc on the 5th April

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Paul Hosford in the Examiner reckons we could see golf, tennis etc on the 5th April

https://www.newstalk.com/news/golf-and-non-contact-sports-training-could-return-in-march-varadkar-1148100

Our own Tánaiste said this two weeks ago. Such a shame.

12 th of April before my young lad in School - extraordinary stuff. :eek:

I wouldn’t even take that as definite depending on how things go from next Monday for a couple weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tempora

Lot of vitriol on social media towards golf in the past day. Kinda sad. Guess we won't be getting out for at least another month or two.

Tempora wrote: »
    Lot of vitriol on social media towards golf in the past day. Kinda sad. Guess we won't be getting out for at least another month or two.

Just tell people like that your poor granny loves a game of golf and misses is terribly and old batchelors down the road cant get out for a drink or a game of golf.

They wont have much response to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Hypothetical question, if golf was to return soon, would you be ok if it was single players only?

Hypothetical question, if golf was to return soon, would you be ok if it was single players only?

I did think of this - and I would. But I like to play alone.

Anyway - doesn't make any practical sense. With times between tee times - it actually is 18 people on the course .:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd be fine with it too, if it was a choice between some and no golf. It'd be an absolute nightmare getting out though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tempora

I think 2-balls are the best choice and work well from a social distancing perspective. There is a phenomenon with groups of 3 and 4 where the group think takes over and people start to bend the rules.

Advertisement