Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I stopped using computer game reviews as an indicator to purchase for a while now as I got stung a few times with 10/10 reviews across the board but found the game quite average.

At this stage now I know what genres I like, then there is tons of gameplay videos out there.

I do remember about 20 years ago during the ps2 era of consoles, I used to read the gamespot forums and it was war between ps2 fans and xbox fans. Whenever a game got over 90%(different types of scoring back then) it was seen as a victory and they'd rub it in the xbox fans faces, and vice versa. A hyped game that scored below that was seen as a flop. No discussion about the actual game, the areas that were praised/criticised etc, just forming an opinion based solely on the score. Tribalism at its finest :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just follow journalists that I trust or know have similar tastes to me.
    Markitron wrote: »
    That Mario Kart pie chart disqualifies Polygon from being right about anything forever.

I had to look that up.

I agree. That is some next level ballocks in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm a cynical fúcker so I'm not sure how genuine those concerns are in reviews like that anyway.

Do a run-of-the-mill game review for an AAA game = 10k views, 80 comments.

You take that review, sprinkle a little trans rights and racial equality into it? Baby you got a stew going. 80k views, 600 comments. Those comments will be full of bile but you got engagement and that's what these sites live and die on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I'll be playing on PC but happy to wait a few months until most of the bugs are sorted out, plenty of games to keep me occupied in the meantime. For all the folks eagerly waiting to play it tomorrow - hopefully it was worth the wait for you. :)

Skill-Up has his review up if anyone watches his stuff btw.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I want to play a game, not a review. Reviews really don't interest me. I read Neuromancer before some of you were even born and I enjoyed The Witcher 3 immensely, so as far as I am concerned, it's game on. I am determined to enjoy it and likely will. Most people on here seem hell bent on not enjoying it. Your loss.

Lurking on my bookshelf:

William-Gibson.jpg

All the missery-guts, trolls, naysayers and trans reviewers can all go take a flying f*** at a rolling doughnut.

#gatekeeping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Anyone get their copy from Smyths? Dissapointed it didn't come today

Nope.

Mine is with An Post so not holdng out much hope for tomorrow with the delays they have

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

If anyone happens to buy it running a GTX1660 or similar, let us know how it runs for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Polygon were spot on. And even if they weren't the reviewer still has a right to put out their opinion and not be harassed for it

Nope, they didn't get much harassment, just the usual stuff in the comments below but nobody reads that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Yakult wrote: »
    Hopefully we will all be too busy playing the game to even notice that crap :pac:

For some, the identity politics game surrounding the gamd is more important than the game itself. And that absolutely counts towards the auld 'both sides', each of which is as eager to get offended as the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

For some, the identity politics game surrounding the gamd is more important than the game itself. And that absolutely counts towards the auld 'both sides', each of which is as eager to get offended as the other.

They are using the game as a vehicle for their woke/anti-woke agenda.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As for Kellie as a reviewer, her reviews all seem really good and well informed. Her only crime being giving Red Dead 2 a 9/10.

Not familiar but (ENTIRELY PERSONALLY!) I may have given that game less. A technical marvel and possibly a game that may go down as historic on that front alone (leaving out the beloved gameplay, story, etc) but it just felt so slow and cumbersome to me. Maybe I just wasn't the right audience but I usually love open world games and just couldn't bring myself to go invest in a camp that there's no real reward for, tracking an animal for God only knows how long, watching 45 minute* cut scenes whenever you kill anything bigger than a hare and on and on.

And when going for such an extreme level of realism and immersion, little things like somehow magically being spotted committing a crime when it was physically impossible for anyone to see/hear you, 'locked' random interactions and side missions etc (very much unlike many gta entries or witcher 3 where these seem so much more natural, organic and unplanned) really broke that same immersion for me. I gave it three proper goes and I do get how some utterly love it, but I just couldn't get myself into it at all. Now... bring on the hate posts!

* possibly a minor exaggeration. :D

Sorry for derailing... 5 hours and counting!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

One side sent videos to trigger a seizure of one of the reviewers. That one incident alone makes the fanboys far worse than the other side.

If anyone happens to buy it running a GTX1660 or similar, let us know how it runs for you

Gtx 970 so I'm a notch below you as best I know, will let you know at least. I'm aiming at 1080p medium/low most likely but will crank it up a bit and see how I get on.

Shocking memory here so pm me if no reply by tomorrow night. I'll likely squeeze some in tonight but might not since I've got work at 9am and if I get going on this, I might be at it all night. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

The games nearly out the review nonsense should be knocked on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It is playable at 12 tonight on xbox, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

It is playable at 12 tonight on xbox, right?

Xbox can play it right now if they go to setting and change there region to NZ or any country it's released in for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Wow, they just turned the comments off on the Gamespot review. Rare for them to do that. Must have got even worse. Misogyny and bigotry is a real problem in gaming both from the devs side and the consumer side. It needs to stop and it can't just be women calling this out. Men need to do their bit and call out this disgusting behaviour when they see it too.

Maybe she should of played the whole game before giving it such a low score?

Im not the type to give threats over the internet and condemn that sort of stuff but she is partially to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Dissapointed it didn't come today

as333.jpg

as222.jpg

as111.jpg

bs111.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Wow, they just turned the comments off on the Gamespot review. Rare for them to do that. Must have got even worse. Misogyny and bigotry is a real problem in gaming both from the devs side and the consumer side. It needs to stop and it can't just be women calling this out. Men need to do their bit and call out this disgusting behaviour when they see it too.

Jaysus, I remember good old times, when people talked about if game is good, gameplay fun, graphics, secret costumes etc. Now its more arguing about if you should be horny towards frying pans, or is there an option to make a chick with a dick, or that there should not be more pube hair on male character, then on female on, because it makes a person who identifies themselves as a Dolphin offended...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Gtx 970 so I'm a notch below you as best I know, will let you know at least. I'm aiming at 1080p medium/low most likely but will crank it up a bit and see how I get on.

Shocking memory here so pm me if no reply by tomorrow night. I'll likely squeeze some in tonight but might not since I've got work at 9am and if I get going on this, I might be at it all night. :o

Cheers, no real rush as some of the bugs are off putting for me [just watched Skill up's review where he highlights some pretty bad ones] but definitely interested if they can at least iron a lot of the main distracting ones out [like NPC's getting stuck/freezing/poppping up outside of vehicles etc ... and no lip syncing in cut scenes] But if you find it performs ok at med settings, 1080p with the 970 reckon I might get away with high, maybe with a few tweaks :)

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    One side sent videos to trigger a seizure of one of the reviewers. That one incident alone makes the fanboys far worse than the other side.

Actually, very fair.

Mine was more referring to how eager some each are to get outraged and offended.

I've not followed too closely on the reviews but do think they missed a trick on not having more trans characters here though, for the exact same reason that giving out about no black people in Kingdom Come Deliverance - it would have just fit the narrative, in game artwork/ads/narrative/etc to do so (while black people in medieval poland... would not).

I can't say it would impact a score if I were reviewing, but with all the androgenous (both male/female and organic/manufactured/modifieid - whatever the term for the latter might be?) it would have just given some pretty fun to be able to build or interact with characters that really explore or embody this a bit more, and I find this a fair point to at least address in reviews. Who knows though, reviewers had to rush playthroughs and may have missed something. If not, no biggie just would've been nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

Not sure if this was posted but just got a 16gb update for cyberpunk

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

naughto wrote: »

What platform? I read pc got the day one update through gog a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

naughto wrote: »

System?

PC or Xbox, nothing new on PS.

Xbox 1

did a manual update of games cyberpunk was there

https://ibb.co/vdDS1NY

Advertisement