Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

To be honest, this is one of those times when a mass doxxing would actually be a good thing. These people often have a funny tendency to change their tone as soon as they lose their little bubble of invincible anonymity.

I only played for about 15 mins on my Series X with a 1440p monitor. I didn't come across any bugs in that short time, but my initial impression of the graphics was that everything looked a bit blurry/soft. Didn't look as sharp as I expected, even compared to similar style Xbox One games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The Gamespot reviewer skipper a lot of stuff, she said she only crafted 1 thing, never upgraded any of her weapons, and ignored all the random side quest she came across.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PopeVicodin

AdamD wrote: »
    https://www.ign.com/articles/how-long-is-cyberpunk-2077?sf134042866=1

Interesting enough, certainly looks more like 40-60 hours to do a decent run through rather than the rushed 20 hour playthroughs they did for reviews

Anyone seen PS5 footage? Running well?

Streamer playing PS5 version right now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNTD3bYOpmA&ab_channel=AceBoogzGaming

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

As ever, a lot of the outrage and abuse is directed towards women who reviewed the game. The usual mix of sociopathy, misogyny and hyper consumerism from the usual suspects. Despicable, deranged and utterly pathetic stuff, but nothing surprising at this stage.

Sign of the times im afraid, recently while playing the new expansion for world of warcraft numerous times per day i witnessed toxicity at a level ive never seen in over 25 years of online gaming.
    Its literally in every genre of gaming at a new level we havent seen before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Varik wrote: »
    The Gamespot reviewer skipper a lot of stuff, she said she only crafted 1 thing, never upgraded any of her weapons, and ignored all the random side quest she came across.
    Are you talking about this Gamespot review? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Dcully wrote: »
    Sign of the times im afraid, recently while playing the new expansion for world of warcraft numerous times per day i witnessed toxicity at a level ive never seen in over 25 years of online gaming.
    Its literally in every genre of gaming at a new level we havent seen before.

Why are people like this nowadays though, I read the GS review, don't agree with some of the SJW points she had in the review but its just a review, if it was the devs or someone who had skin in the game I could see why you would be upset but those who are harassing her have nothing to loose by her writing a review like that, cant see why people are getting so emotional over it plus 7/10 seems to be fairly bang-on for the amount of bugs the game has.

gizmo wrote: »
    Are you talking about this Gamespot review? :confused:

She's the one I'm talking about but she said it all on a gamespot video and not on the review.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Read that review and can't understand why it would upset anyone? Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

She's the one I'm talking about but she said it all on a gamespot video and not on the review.

She says in her review that she did a load of side quests and upgraded hacking and strength abilities and acquired new weapons etc.

• Advertisement

Ah, I was wondering. The review may give some additional context then - she didn't feel the need to craft things as the items and gear she was looting from enemies was always better, she didn't engage with the weapons much because she was running a Hacker character and the side-quests point may be an issue with terminology. She spent about 35hrs of playtime on side-quests and spoke about them warmly, what she didn't spend time doing were the odd jobs which appear to be the more simplistic paid gigs the Fixers give you, outlined here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Because some people like to get upset over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

That particular reviewer has a bad reputation for doing trash reviews and generally only having a job from the clique woke game journalism industry. It's ridiculous to state that they only reason she's getting flak is because she's a woman. It's already been shown that men recieve more abuse on social media but nobody cares and that's not the narrative that they want to spin.

Harassment shouldn't happen but don't pretend for a second that they didn't see this coming. A lot of these hacks live off these hate clicks. They've had a hate boner for cdpr and her reasons for criticising the game don't even make sense. I don't even care about the rating which seems fair in and of itself without the her accompanying material. But come on who even cares about what gamespot say or any outlet like them.

There's still no protondb reports last I checked. Think I might buy and try tonight if I have time. UEG said it performs fine in his stream here https://youtu.be/NuguTQxzMWU but he probably has way better hardware than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

J Mysterio wrote: »

People are weird. This is why I play video games, to get away from them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I imagine this has absolutely nothing to do with the reviewers and mostly to do with review code arriving late and reviewers being told that they have to have a review ready to be published the second the embargo is up so they can maximise the number of hits they get. A rushed 20 hours play time is probably all the reviewer could give to the game. It's not an ideal way to review a game and reviewer burn out can be a thing that will colour opinions on the game but if CDP wanted to avoid that then review copies should have been given out in a more timely fashion.

Do you mean this one where she also talks about having spent a lot of time on side quests and significantly upgrading her character as a hacker (hence far less guns which she was trying to avoid, but far more use of other 'weapons')?

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/cyberpunk-2077-review/2300-6454346/

gizmo wrote: »
    Ah, I was wondering. The review may give some additional context then - she didn't feel the need to craft things as the items and gear she was looting from enemies was always better, she didn't engage with the weapons much because she was running a Hacker character and the side-quests point may be an issue with terminology. She spent about 35hrs of playtime on side-quests and spoke about them warmly, what she didn't spend time doing were the odd jobs which appear to be the more simplistic paid gigs the Fixers give you, outlined here.

From what she said she crafted 1 thing (going to guess when the game inevitably forces you to in a tutorial) and then never looked at it again, and perhaps if you don't use weapons then maybe found weapons were good enough if you weren't using them anyway maybe that's good enough. We'll have to see how much there is in the crafting system.

On the side quest she described it the same as the red dead ones where you'd come across something on the out in the world, and said she didn't do any of those just kept on driving past. Now red dead has some very simple stuff you'd come across where you'd drop someone back to town or something, but it also has some of the most entertaining random missions too.

The reviews have all been very poor and should really have been held off, large patches being deployed during the reviews and far too little time for a game like this.

Do you mean this one where she also talks about having spent a lot of time on side quests and significantly upgrading her character as a hacker (hence far less guns which she was trying to avoid, but far more use of other 'weapons')?

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/cyberpunk-2077-review/2300-6454346/

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/cyberpunk-2077-does-it-live-up-to-the-hype/2300-6454334/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

That particular reviewer has a bad reputation for doing trash reviews and generally only having a job from the clique woke game journalism industry

Watched the review, I don't see anything wrong with it..

What does that reviewer have a bad reputation for exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Dohnjoe wrote: »

Yeah, like what do they have a bad reputation for, and who is that bad reputation with? Probably people that use terms like 'hateboner'.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I imagine this has absolutely nothing to do with the reviewers and mostly to do with review code arriving late and reviewers being told that they have to have a review ready to be published the second the embargo is up so they can maximise the number of hits they get. 20 hours play time is probably all the reviewer could give to the game.
    Well in Plagge's case she put a significant amount of time into the side quests and finished the story. Her critique of how there appears to be a disconnect between the actions the player takes in game and how these are ultimately resolved seems valid in this case.

The issue of traffic is an interesting one though, especially for this particular release. If I was to criticise the above review it'd probably be related to the lack of detail about how the player can go about earning money, especially since she mentioned it as being a notable gate to progression both in terms of story and character development, and also on the subject of relationships. Somewhat unsurprisingly, there are two additional articles on the site which already cover these details in more depth. All things considered, I kind of doubt this is a coincidence.

On the side quest she described it the same as the red dead ones where you'd come across something on the out in the world, and said she didn't do any of those just kept on driving past.
    Honestly, did you see a different video to the one I posted?

It opens on her discussing a side quest about taxis, and she specifies "I spent a lot of my time playing side quests like this one hoping to find something interesting, or fun, or rewarding at the end."

I do agree on reviews seeming off, but the blame there likely is with CDPR for not getting it out to (typo) reviewers in time for a proper 'wide' playthrough. TW3 is my favourite ever game, but if I had b-lined it in 30 hours or so I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I imagine this has absolutely nothing to do with the reviewers and mostly to do with review code arriving late and reviewers being told that they have to have a review ready to be published the second the embargo is up so they can maximise the number of hits they get. A rushed 20 hours play time is probably all the reviewer could give to the game. It's not an ideal way to review a game and reviewer burn out can be a thing that will colour opinions on the game but if CDP wanted to avoid that then review copies should have been given out in a more timely fashion.

That's why I like Eurogamer, the reviewer is giving the game more time before posting the full review.

Integrity and quality over rushing a review to get those extra clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Kallie "why are all the zombies white" Plagge
    Kallie "too much water" Plagge
    And now
    Kallie "too much game" Plagge

And now

Right, can you post a link to one of those reviews thanks, because the one about Cyberpunk seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I don't put much stock in reviews these days tbh, but Gamestop are particularly low down on my list after the Alien Isolation review. I know the person that wrote the review probably doesn't work there anymore and that it would have pretty much nothing to do with their current editorial staff, but that review was so ****e it will taint them forever.

IGN can get to **** as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Not woke enough is her gripe it seems. Lack of trans characters and "mostly white men" seems to be her message.

And now

Okay, I found the Kallie Plagge "too much water" review
    https://web.archive.org/web/20141120134355/https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/18/pokemon-alpha-sapphire-and-omega-ruby-review

Having read through it, I don't see anything wrong with the review, as for the "too much water" point, here is the context
    It’s not a new complaint, but Hoenn is still imbalanced type-wise, heavily favoring water. It’s especially noticeable in Alpha Sapphire, in which Team Aqua (the villains of the piece) use a lot of water types. It feels like there are water Pokémon in nearly every battle, and I have an overleveled Pikachu to show for it. You also have to navigate many bodies of water, since much of the late-game involves the HMs Surf and Dive to get from place to place.

Both reviews look normal, what is your issue with this reviewer? I am really starting to suspect some people are hopping on a bandwagon here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I want to play a game, not a review. Reviews really don't interest me. I read Neuromancer before some of you were even born and I enjoyed The Witcher 3 immensely, so as far as I am concerned, it's game on. I am determined to enjoy it and likely will. Most people on here seem hell bent on not enjoying it. Your loss.

Lurking on my bookshelf:

William-Gibson.jpg

All the missery-guts, trolls, naysayers and trans reviewers can all go take a flying f*** at a rolling doughnut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Okay, I found the Kallie Plagge "too much water" review
    https://web.archive.org/web/20141120134355/https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/18/pokemon-alpha-sapphire-and-omega-ruby-review

Having read through it, I don't see anything wrong with the review, as for the "too much water" point, here is the context

Both reviews look normal, what is your issue with this reviewer? I am really starting to suspect some people are hopping on a bandwagon here.

Dan Stapleton said only today on Twitter that the "too much water" statement was actually his addition to her review. He never expected it to follow her around for the rest of her career especially since she didn't write it, he did.

Advertisement