Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Good review/bad review I couldn't give a crap as I won't be reading them, I'm really looking forward to giving this a lash regardless but might wait until the next gen patch comes out, assuming it'll be available reasonably early in the new year.

(On a side note - I knew this had been around for some time but didn't realise it was as far back as 2012:eek:).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Full character build tool here. No spoilers, just shows perks available for different attribute levels, might save some time instead of messing around with it later.

https://nukesdragons.com/cyberpunk-2077/character

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Shred wrote: »
    Good review/bad review I couldn't give a crap as I won't be reading them, I'm really looking forward to giving this a lash regardless but might wait until the next gen patch comes out, assuming it'll be available reasonably early in the new year.

(On a side note - I knew this had been around for some time but didn't realise it was as far back as 2012:eek:).

I only jumped on this bandwagon a month ago. Kinda glad in a way. It's not been over-hyped in my head as a result. Hadn't planned on getting it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Exactly what I was thinking. I would love a current gen version of Shadowun!

Shadowrun_SNES_ScreenShot4.jpg

From May 2012, this actually sounds like a close game to Shadowrun.
    Get killed
    at start of the game, wake up with a chip in your head, find out who tried to kill you and get revenge while upgrading your body/cybernetics along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I wonder will there ever be an open world game released where the plot doesn't revolve around revenge.

If revenge wasn't a thing, Ubisoft would have gone out of business decades ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Didnt realise people were so invested in to reviews. They convey nothing but an opinion, often from someone whose opinion doesn't matter to me, whether right or wrong and to which I say "who cares".

They are so subjective, we all have different expectations and wants from a game. And if its not for you, go make one yourself how you'd like it to be.

Can't wait for the game to just release so all this pre-release **** moves on. It's been toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Watched the review, I don't see anything wrong with it..

Hmm, the reviewer was given an RPG to review and did not review it. Openly admitting to not bothering with a multitude of features that are unique to RPG games. It really is simple, she does not like RPGs and that is perfectly ok. She was the wrong person to ask to review Cyberpunk 2077.

You cannot just say you weren't bothered with half of the things in the game and then mark the game down. Its like been given DIRT to review but you only give it a 5 because you dont like cars or driving games.

You have to offer an honest review of a game in its entirety, what this reviewer did was just skim over the game as fast as possible leaving out huge portions of it and then marking it down.

EDIT - I don't for a second condone or agree with the threats she has received or they way that she is being treated. That is wrong and disgusting but she is being paid to do a job and in this case didn't bother doing it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    what is your issue with this reviewer? I am really starting to suspect some people are hopping on a bandwagon here.
    Already said why. But I'm starting to see another bandwagon form: The game journo defence force.

Dan Stapleton said only today on Twitter that the "too much water" statement was actually his addition to her review. He never expected it to follow her around for the rest of her career especially since she didn't write it, he did.
    Journo buddies coming out of the woodwork to defend each other :eek: Hmm where have we seen this before? Not only do I not even believe him (imagine believing these hacks) but even if it was true it doesn't matter, she put her name on it.

Still no protondb reports :( Direct X was a mistake. Doesn't look like I'll end up having time to play it tonight anyway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Already said why. But I'm starting to see another bandwagon form: The game journo defence force.

Journo buddies coming out of the woodwork to defend each other :eek: Hmm where have we seen this before? Not only do I not even believe him (imagine believing these hacks) but even if it was true it doesn't matter, she put her name on it.

Still no protondb reports :( Direct X was a mistake. Doesn't look like I'll end up having time to play it tonight anyway though.

She put her name on it, and then when she handed it to her boss (Dan in this case) he made changes and posted it online. The issue is with Dan. If you have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Same old same old from Robert, the meltiest of snowflakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I haven't a breeze about journalism but is it normal for editors to insert an entire opinion into another journalist's piece?

That beats Forbes firing someone because they didn't fact check the writer's interview with an actor anyway.

How many amateur outlets are there like the above stealing a living?

Yakult wrote: »
    Didnt realise people were so invested in to reviews. They convey nothing but an opinion, often from someone whose opinion doesn't matter to me, whether right or wrong and to which I say "who cares".

They are so subjective, we all have different expectations and wants from a game. And if its not for you, go make one yourself how you'd like it to be.

Can't wait for the game to just release so all this pre-release **** moves on. It's been toxic.

It is going to get worse over time not better. Kotaku/Polygon will have a ****ing field day now that they have the whole map to explore. I'm gonna go ahead and predict their headlines for the next few weeks.

Kotaku, Dec 14th 2020: Cyberpunk has a disturbing lack of wheelchair ramps

Polygon, Dec 18th 2020: Transgender character uses cis bathroom - CDPR yet to respond

Kotaku, Dec 21st 2020: Night City NPC runs over dog on the street, PETA demands answers

Polygon, Dec 25th 2020: Enjoying Cyberpunk this Christmas Day? CDPR employees have been forced to miss every Christmas holiday for the last 12 years because of crunch.

Kotaku, January 1st 2021. We need to talk about the lack of anti-corporate propaganda in Night City

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Markitron wrote: »
    It is going to get worse over time not better. Kotaku/Polygon will have a ****ing field day now that they have the whole map to explore. I'm gonna go ahead and predict their headlines for the next few weeks.

Polygon, Dec 18th 2020: Transgender character uses cis bathroom - CDPR yet to respond

Kotaku, Dec 21st 2020: Night City NPC runs over dog on the street, PETA demands answers

Polygon, Dec 25th 2020: Enjoying Cyberpunk this Christmas Day? CDPR employees have been forced to miss every Christmas holiday for the last 12 years because of crunch.

Kotaku, January 1st 2021. We need to talk about the lack of anti-corporate propaganda in Night City

Hopefully we will all be too busy playing the game to even notice that crap :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Seems like this could be the expansion pack for the game :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I haven't a breeze about journalism but is it normal for editors to insert an entire opinion into another journalist's piece?

Game Journalism isn't journalism, outlets like IGN and the like act as outsourced PR firms for the major publishers. The few places that actually do proper journalism are so busy bottling the smell of their own farts that they rarely put out anything of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

That beats Forbes firing someone because they didn't fact check the writer's interview with an actor anyway.

How many amateur outlets are there like the above stealing a living?
    He didn't insert an opinion, the meme that was born from that article came from the "Too much water" line from the bullet points adjacent to the final score, something that is historically controlled by editorial staff on various sites. The same goes for headlines or sub-headings on articles in general and is one of the reasons you can often see a disconnect between that and the body of an article.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's the editor's job, to edit the articles. Had a review for a national paper edited down to fit the area it was given in the paper. In this case it was put into the summary section next to the score which is something editor would do in a website review. And it very much sounds like an editorial addition from an editor that didn't understand the context of the review. It's way more believable than not.

As for Kellie as a reviewer, her reviews all seem really good and well informed. Her only crime being giving Red Dead 2 a 9/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I just realised it's still not available to play on steam. I saw someone streaming it on PC. Must be timezone stuff. Either way I hope it explains the lack of protondb reports.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nerd culture is really pathetic with the amount of snowflakes giving out about low review scores of games they haven't even played yet. Then going so far as to attack reviewers for giving a personal opinion about the game that doesn't match their own. It's sad. Not everyone is going to like a game and people that don't like a game can give perfectly valid reasons why as well. You'll never get unanimous praise for a game. It's the same with books and films.

I mean at the end of the day it's still the third highest rated PC game on metacritic which is hardly a bad place to be.

• Advertisement

I only jumped on this bandwagon a month ago. Kinda glad in a way. It's not been over-hyped in my head as a result. Hadn't planned on getting it at all.

I'm kind of similar, I as aware of it as a game along with it's multiple delays for a few years but only really began to take proper notice of it over the past couple of months. It certainly looks like the type of game I'd be interested in all the same.

Yakult wrote: »

Especially in this day and age when so many are written to attract attention/create clicks...which they duly get in spades.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PopeVicodin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Dan Stapleton said only today on Twitter that the "too much water" statement was actually his addition to her review. He never expected it to follow her around for the rest of her career especially since she didn't write it, he did.

If you have played Ruby/Sapphire it makes perfect sense but if you didn't it sounds like total jibberish. That reviewer may have also been brave enough to give the game what it deserves at this time. A lot of others just said its buggy as f**k, 9/10 because the day 1 patch that they didn't play is apparently going to work. For me no matter how good a game is if its a mess technically it doesn't deserve a 9 or anything above 7.

I've not played Cyberpunk but everything I hear or read about it comes across like it just didn't deliver. There seem to be a ridiculous amount of bugs to the point it should have been delayed even further, what they did try to do wasn't exactly overly ambitious beyond what other games had already done(some things of which other games had already done better than 2077), nothing I seen so far looks to the level of that first gameplay trailer they showed in 2018 and ultimately it looks like CDPR have gone backwards since their last release.

Fwiw I have bought and paid for the game so I ain't hating on it cause I ain't playing it but I am more tempted to stay playing the Yakuza: Remastered Collection tomorrow than I am Cyberpunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nerd culture is really pathetic with the amount of snowflakes giving out about low review scores of games they haven't even played yet. Then going so far as to attack reviewers for giving a personal opinion about the game that doesn't match their own. It's sad. Not everyone is going to like a game and people that don't like a game can give perfectly valid reasons why as well. You'll never get unanimous praise for a game. It's the same with books and films.

I mean at the end of the day it's still the third highest rated PC game on metacritic which is hardly a bad place to be.

Personal attacks are not on, is this twitter? Doesn't matter the genre or arts there will always be head cases who take it too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Polygon did deserve the hate for their Last of Us review though. Don't care about this game, might play it down the line.

Ghost of Tsushima is still £42 in CeX so waiting for that to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Cant watch it because of the way he pronounces "A-tributes".:(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Anyone get their copy from Smyths? Dissapointed it didn't come today

RasTa wrote: »
    Polygon did deserve the hate for their Last of Us review though. Don't care about this game, might play it down the line.

Ghost of Tsushima is still £42 in CeX so waiting for that to drop.

Polygon were spot on. And even if they weren't the reviewer still has a right to put out their opinion and not be harassed for it

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Polygon were spot on. And even if they weren't the reviewer still has a right to put out their opinion and not be harassed for it

That Mario Kart pie chart disqualifies Polygon from being right about anything forever.

Advertisement