Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

pixelburp wrote: »
    God I hope not, the MCU films have been the only ones to be pull off the de-ageing, and even then just in Captain Marvel. Avengers Endgames own was as bad as it tends to be, that waxy, plastic look.

Which would ordinarily be a problem, but not for an android :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I have to say I am really looking forward to this.
    Gonna have a nice cup of Earl Grey Tea now!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have to say I am really looking forward to this.
    Gonna have a nice cup of Earl Grey Tea now!

We all are. Eagerly awaiting more news too.

Just hope the bit about the screen tests was nonsense and that they do it the way they have been. I do not believe in screen tests. They did not have them for series or movies 20/30 years ago and we don't need them now. A director should make the movie or series they want and a writer should make sure they get the director that knows what they want. After that audiences will decide if it is good or not.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭corkie

AMKC wrote: »
    We all are. Eagerly awaiting more news too.

Just hope the bit about the screen tests was nonsense and that they do it the way they have been. I do not believe in screen tests. They did not have them for series or movies 20/30 years ago and we don't need them now. A director should make the movie or series they want and a writer should make sure they get the director that knows what they want. After that audiences will decide if it is good or not.
    A test screening is a preview screening of a movie or television show before its general release in order to gauge audience reaction. Preview audiences are selected from a cross-section of the population, and are usually asked to complete a questionnaire or provide feedback in some form. Harold Lloyd is credited with inventing the concept, having used it as early as 1928.[1] Test screenings have been recommended for starting filmmakers "even if a film festival is fast approaching".[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_screening

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Ms

corkie wrote: »

I still think they are a load of rubbish. A director is there to bring to life the vision that a writer or number of writers working together have come up with and if he does not think he can do it or get the actors for it then he should let another director do it or wait till the time is right maybe because of technological, budget or casting reasons. It is then up to them to make sure it gets advertised enough over all types of media to get enough people interested in watching it in the cinema, on the TV or online so it will be a success.
    Sometimes something great can happen like like George Lucas's Star Wars or Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek and other times there can be flops like the original Battlestar Galactica although I do not think that was a director or writers fault it was the stations fault for cancelling it just like Firefly as well.

I do not think a small number of people getting an early view of it on a screen should determine what direction should be taken unless maybe them people are involved in the production and they see that the way they have been doing whatever it is does not come out so good on a screen. If they are just a few ordinary people do I think it should not make much difference.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

What are the chances we will get a preview and comic con next month?

Ms

What are the chances we will get a preview and comic con next month?

Hopefully.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CBS has confirmed that Michael Chabon will be showrunner. Now that's good news. Good enough that Kurtzman is stepping aside, doubly so that Chabon is a talented writer (hopefully a good manager of writers too ha)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

CBS has confirmed that Michael Chabon will be showrunner. Now that's good news. Good enough that Kurtzman is stepping aside, doubly so that Chabon is a talented writer (hopefully a good manager of writers too ha)

Jeez, his wiki is a mess:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Chabon

His imdb is straight-forward though:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0149290/

says he contributed to the screen story of Spider-Man 2.. so obviously that's gonna increase my expectations

John Carter too. That had some decent elements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

He'd be much higher regarded than Kurtzman, that's for sure; his bibliography's pretty good and read a couple of his works. Certainly feeling a little more confident now about the show, the writing now in the hands of a genuine writer, than a showy hack.

I'm guessing Kurtzman is becoming the 'Lucas' style figurehead of the half-dozen Trek shows in gestation, sketching the draft idea and letting someone else drive the production. I believe Michelle Paradise is now the main showrunner on Discovery ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

... Certainly feeling a little more confident now about the show, the writing now in the hands of a genuine writer ....

Chabon won the Hugo and Nebula awards for best novel (the yiddish policemen's union ) so evidently he does know something about writing and sci-fi.
    He also co-wrote the Discovery short - "Calypso"
    I also think he bodes well for Picard - I'd guess he'll produce something fairly alternative and arty?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Evade

Is Chateaux Picard not on Earth any more?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Evade wrote: »
    Is Chateaux Picard not on Earth any more?

Maybe it’s not Earth.

If it is, it’s just a poster. :o

Methinks a trailer is not far around the corner (in time for comic con no doubt)

Also: doggo! So, prizes for best guessed name? :D

I’d say they’ll show the pilot at comic con.
    Conventions are fundamental in building Buzz for new projects these days.

If the dog isn’t called number one, they’ll have missed a trick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Evade

Also: doggo! So, prizes for best guessed name? :D
    Athos

If the dog isn’t called number one, they’ll have missed a trick :)

Apparently eagle eyed viewers have spotted "# 1" on the dog collar. So yeah, he did just that :D

Apparently eagle eyed viewers have spotted "# 1" on the dog collar. So yeah, he did just that :D

No way!!

That’s mad :)

Where’s my prize??

• Advertisement
    Ms

I think they should have had him on a horse. But maybe Picard has given up his saddle or maybe it would look impractical. Certainly having a dog is a big change for Picard.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

For those without instagram

D_IRJ_xX4AA6vt6?format=jpg&name=medium

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

AMKC wrote: »
    I think they should have had him on a horse. But maybe Picard has given up his saddle or maybe it would look impractical. Certainly having a dog is a big change for Picard.

As spry as Stewart is for his age, I doubt there's any chance they'd get a 78 year old to film scenes on a horse. Or else use a fake prop and convenient cutaways to the back of a stunt doubles head as Picard (dis)mounted.

Doesn’t he have a brother?
    I hope they get mckellan in to be his brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭riggerman

I have some bad news for you about the brother.

Doesn’t he have a brother?
    I hope they get mckellan in to be his brother.

He's dead. The nephew too. They killed Picard's family off-screen from a fire during one of the film's; either Insurrection or Generations, can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He's dead. The nephew too. They killed Picard's family off-screen from a fire during one of the film's; either Insurrection or Generations, can't remember.

Generations... there was a line about 'No more Picards'.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

And it made zero difference to the plot. There was no reason to kill off the family.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The fact that Picard isn’t on a horse in the poster proves that Star Trek has lost its soul/essence.

• Advertisement
    Ms

And it made zero difference to the plot. There was no reason to kill off the family.

Just made Picard upset and grumpy but I suppose very little difference to the plot. Maybe they just thought they needed a big emotional impact in it and that was it the same way Spock dying in TWOK is there big one in that but we all know which one came of best and had the most impact.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement