Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Ok well they better find a way to have mckellan be in it and be his pal. Somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Mckellen definitely has the range to play a hybrid human/space horse.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

AMKC wrote: »
    Just made Picard upset and grumpy but I suppose very little difference to the plot. Maybe they just thought they needed a big emotional impact in it and that was it the same way Spock dying in TWOK is there big one in that but we all know which one came of best and had the most impact.

Did it not make him consider or regret not having a family of his own? So when he was in the nexus in the ideal life it would have made him want to stay more? That's how I took why they killed off the family anyways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The purpose of killing his brother and nephew in Generations was to make Picard worried about his mortality and thus vulnerable to Soran and the temptations of the Nexus. Under normal circumstances neither would have posed even the slightest challenge to Picard. All of the TNG films did some variation of this because Picard as written in the show was practically invulnerable most of the time. His greatest foe was a god-like being.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,947 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The fact that Picard isn’t on a horse in the poster proves that Star Trek has lost its soul/essence.

I was googling for where Picard and horses came appeared in TNG other than that episode where he goes back to the ship for his saddle and gets trapped with a bunch of terrorists/looters during a baryon sweep.

The internet is a strange and wonderful place.

• Advertisement

Shadowfax

Make him Q. Come to taunt Picard in a new form

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

And it made zero difference to the plot. There was no reason to kill off the family.

It allowed Malcom McDowell to deliver the line "They say time is the fire in which we burn", which was cool.

Generations was a good looking film actually. TNG on the big screen (with much better lighting) in a way we never quite saw again – with the sequels new darker tones, new ship, new suits, etc.

Generations is great ! Very underrated !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I think the main narrative and everything to do with Kirk just doesn't really work, unfortunately. It's not a good portrayal of Kirk and seems unnecessary to everything else in a story that is already straining credulity.

But the rest of it is fun to watch, yeah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Stark wrote: »
    I was googling for where Picard and horses came appeared in TNG other than that episode where he goes back to the ship for his saddle and gets trapped with a bunch of terrorists/looters during a baryon sweep.

The internet is a strange and wonderful place.

did you know all the horses used in generations, ridden by picard and kirk were all of williams shatners own horses

• Advertisement

None of the TNG films worked for me. And maybe cos I adored the series as a kid. Just a huge shift. Haven’t seen them in years though might be due a rewatch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

None of the TNG films worked for me. And maybe cos I adored the series as a kid. Just a huge shift. Haven’t seen them in years though might be due a rewatch

First Contact is Epic as Trek films go, up there but just behind Wrath of Khan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

What really ruined Generations for me was when I found out that
    Scotty and Checkovs roles were written for Spock and McCoy, but they could not get Nimoy and Kelly on board

Also First Contact is a great actioner with some good scenes but IMHO it does not stand up to a lot of rewatching. Plus, it made the Borg into just another bunch of zombies....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

What really ruined Generations for me was when I found out that
    Scotty and Checkovs roles were written for Spock and McCoy, but they could not get Nimoy and Kelly on board

Also First Contact is a great actioner with some good scenes but IMHO it does not stand up to a lot of rewatching. Plus, it made the Borg into just another bunch of zombies....

Ohh i could watch FC when ever it drops on TV or when on a flight and need to fill the time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

And it made zero difference to the plot. There was no reason to kill off the family.

It made a huge difference! There was a strong undercurrent about Picard coming to terms with his mortality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,730 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The purpose of killing his brother and nephew in Generations was to make Picard worried about his mortality and thus vulnerable to Soran and the temptations of the Nexus. Under normal circumstances neither would have posed even the slightest challenge to Picard. All of the TNG films did some variation of this because Picard as written in the show was practically invulnerable most of the time. His greatest foe was a god-like being.

And the Borg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

So when is it going to release, and where can we watch it? Its not gonna be a Prime thing or something is it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

J Mysterio wrote: »
    So when is it going to release, and where can we watch it? Its not gonna be a Prime thing or something is it?

IIRC, Prime has the international broadcast rights for this. Otherwise it's on CBS and their own online service.

Pity Trek will have scattered broadcast, I intend cancelling my Prime account TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I would have said his greatest for was the Borg, not Q. Q almost became an annoying friend at the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

368100 wrote: »
    I would have said his greatest for was the Borg, not Q. Q almost became an annoying friend at the end.

Archenemies are often like that though. Picard didn't fight the Borg enough in the series for them to be his greatest foe. And his post-BOBW encounters with them weren't a big deal. Even the first draft of First Contact had him chilling on the planet mostly unaffected by his experiences while Riker faced down the Borg on the ship. Which is exactly the kind of thing that would have happened in the series where Picard was rarely not in control. After notes from Stewart and the studio, they put Picard in the middle of the action but had to justify it by making him emotionally compromised. All 4 films did this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Q wasn't really a foe, not in any conventional senes of the antagonist; he and Picard had a patter more in line of best frenemies, and Q himself operating as a Trickster God who irritated Picard rather than acted as some kind of adversary. In fact, going by my memories of "Tapestry", there's an argument that Q was actually quite fond of Picard.

I think they really messed up by calling the show Picard, its a bit blunt and obvious. I think the better title would have been "Jean-Luc" or "My Captain" or my favourite; "BridgeMaster".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

lol, show name brainstorm session!!

Stargazer > all other guesses

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

show name brainstorm session complete! :D

Slydice wrote: »
    lol, show name brainstorm session!!

Stargazer > all other guesses

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

show name brainstorm session complete! :D

Apparently the show is ruined beciase he wasn’t sitting on a horse in the poster.

That’s the internet for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Apparently the show is ruined beciase he wasn’t sitting on a horse in the poster... That’s the internet for ya

I am reminded of Hugh Grant interviewing Julia Roberts in Notting Hill pretending to be from Horse & Hound (?) magazine :)
    This is the kind of review I would from such a magazine.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Hugh Grant would make a great Star Trek villain

• Registered Users Posts: 20,947 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think they really messed up by calling the show Picard, its a bit blunt and obvious. I think the better title would have been "Jean-Luc" or "My Captain" or my favourite; "BridgeMaster".

I saw a quote in a recent interview from Patrick Stewart that "Picard" might be a codename and the actual name is yet to be revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Evade

Stark wrote: »
    I saw a quote in a recent interview from Patrick Stewart that "Picard" might be a codename and the actual name is yet to be revealed.
    That seems unlikely now that the poster is out, changing it would hurt it's search results.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,730 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Evade wrote: »
    That seems unlikely now that the poster is out, changing it would hurt it's search results.

That and the fact there is a teaser trailer out with it as the name of the show.

I don't mind it. Sure they could have went for something less obvious but they did not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Rawr

pixelburp wrote: »
    Methinks a trailer is not far around the corner (in time for comic con no doubt)

Also: doggo! So, prizes for best guessed name? :D

I would be so delighted if the dog's name was: "Will"

Advertisement