Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,745 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That looks better than I expected. More the tone than anything else. But we'll see if that holds when we get the full trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Who is the "us"? And are they both the same "us"? If this is a Romulan Starfleet officer speaking, the first "us" may mean Romulans and the second Starfleet.
    That seems like the best fit for the narration.

It's at this point they present him with a Romulan version of Data to make up for that desperate Shinzon business. That's my theory, I'm sticking to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Is that a flute playing at the end? :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Here's the non-geo blocked official one:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Looks ok, but the delivery from the actress doing the voiceover seems forced and somewhat wooden. Won’t know what to make of this until we see more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

fxotoole wrote: »
    Looks ok, but the delivery from the actress doing the voiceover seems forced and somewhat wooden. Won’t know what to make of this until we see more

Why is Michael Burnham desecrating the sacridity of TNG era Trek?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Why is Michael Burnham desecrating the sacridity of TNG era Trek?

Was that her ? I wasn’t sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Slydice wrote: »
    Is that a flute playing at the end? :)

It certainly sounds like one.

Wow that looks great. This could actually be really good.

I definitely think it has something to do with Romulans and Starfleet. Like another poster said maybe Picard was an Admiral in charge of the fleet and ordered the rescue of Romulans from Romulas or other planets in the Empire going against orders of Starfleet command itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I am really excited to see this. He is an actor talented beyond measure. And Picard is my favourite captain but also, performed so perfectly.
    I just hope the story lives up to it. Breathe new life into Star Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Sounds Romulan to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Oh and I cannot wait to see the series. This has made my night and watched the trailer about 4 times already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

15 years after the destruction of Romulus would put this series starting around 2402- the first Star Trek show set in the 25th century. Nearly 40 years since Picard took command of the Ent-D.

Is it a TV series or a film?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Is it a TV series or a film?

TV series. It'll be released weekly on Amazon's video service. Starts later this year sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Someone mentioned how certain futures don't exist anymore ?
    Is this from the JJ Abrams film messing up the timelines or something else in Nemesis ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Do we know for sure that the Romulans are figuring in this plot, or are we just extrapolating from what we already know from Nemesis & the 2009's info that Prime Roumlus' home system was destroyed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

pixelburp wrote: »
    Do we know for sure that the Romulans are figuring in this plot, or are we just extrapolating from what we already know from Nemesis & the 2009's info that Prime Roumlus' home system was destroyed?

Yes, Kurtzman has confirmed it:
    Now, Kurtzman — as part of a Creative Space interview with The Hollywood Reporter (posting Wednesday) — is ready to reveal one massive clue about the premise of his CBS All Access Picard effort, due in late 2019: "Picard's life was radically altered by the dissolution of the Romulan Empire," Kurtzman tells THR.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-patrick-stewarts-picard-series-reveals-new-details-1174452

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Evade wrote:
    Admiral Picard always sounds weird, I could never see him giving up the chair. "Most daring rescue in history" really makes that ensign seem more stupid.

What ensign ???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Cool, thanks: OK, so I'm guessing Romulan empire collapse from its home system being vapourised, Picard organising a makeshift rescue fleet... then what?

I suppose, with Romulus no longer in control, Cardassia and the Klingons move in, maybe even the Federation makes overtures towards fringe systems who were less than willing participants of the empire. Deals are struck, said refugees maybe sent to Cardassia?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

knipex wrote: »
    What ensign ???

there was another snippet release a few days ago, where an ensign/cadet was asking picard who he was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Rawr

That's my main (/only) complaint of the trailer.
    There's something about her delivery of the voiceover that somehow cheapens it for me.

They're trying to press the "Epic" button here a little too bluntly, and they very nearly succeed if the voiceover was a bit better.
    But yea...can't really make more of it without context.

I've kind of given up hope for Discovery, but this is looking like something good to look forward to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

JCa342k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭Evade

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Is this from the JJ Abrams film messing up the timelines or something else in Nemesis ?
    This series takes place around the same time as the future parts of All Good Things and Endgame but those episodes already changed those futures.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Cool, thanks: OK, so I'm guessing Romulan empire collapse from its home system being vapourised, Picard organising a makeshift rescue fleet... then what?

I suppose, with Romulus no longer in control, Cardassia and the Klingons move in, maybe even the Federation makes overtures towards fringe systems who were less than willing participants of the empire. Deals are struck, said refugees maybe sent to Cardassia?

It's possible that the remnants of the Empire have reformed into one or more states.

It's also not clear what other political entities may border Romulans toward the outer edge of the galaxy and closer to the Delta quadrant. In Voyager it was implied that the Hirogen might be active as far out as that region. At any rate, some sort of major political or military distraction caused the Romulans to cut off engagement with the other Beta quadrant states for decades during the mid-24th century. We never did find out what that was about, but without the Romulans as a buffer that might have since changed.

TomSweeney wrote: »

Very few of the futures depicted in the TNG era were presented as anything more than "alternate" futures. They wouldn't be considered to be "prime" canon depictions of those times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Rawr

At any rate, some sort of major political or military distraction caused the Romulans to cut off engagement with the other Beta quadrant states for decades during the mid-24th century. We never did find out what that was about, but without the Romulans as a buffer that might have since changed.

I have always sort of guessed / wondered if that was due to them dealing with a Borg threat.

In a lot of Trek galaxy maps, it looked like the creep of Borg Space was reaching down from the Delta Quadrant and into the Romulan's patch of the Beta Quadrant. It almost looked like any attempted Borg invasion of Federation Space would have to go through Romulan Space first.

One theory I've always had in my head was that the massive D'deridex Class Warbird was essentually developed as a sort of Borg Cube-Fighter and that swarms of them were used to fend against the repeated Borg attacks that I imagined they had to deal with.

When the Romulans appear in the TNG:S1 episode The Neutral Zone, asking about the strange attacks along the Neutral Zone (which we learn later were probably Borg attacks.), I can't help but wonder if the Captain of that Warbird merely pretended to be unaware of the Borg. In classic Romulan style, he might have just been out to see if Picard / The Federation knew about the Borg.

Beyond that, the Borg may have been a Romulan secret at that time which was helping push their technological advancement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭Evade

Rawr wrote: »
    One theory I've always had in my head was that the massive D'deridex Class Warbird was essentually developed as a sort of Borg Cube-Fighter and that swarms of them were used to fend against the repeated Borg attacks that I imagined they had to deal with.
    I always saw the Romulan fleet as having the same sort of doctrine as the Imperial Japanese Navy had in the build up to World War II. It basically boils down to - we can't outbuild the rest of the world, or galaxy in the Romulans' case, so we will build better ships that will always win in engagements of equal number.

Rawr wrote: »
    I have always sort of guessed / wondered if that was due to them dealing with a Borg threat.

In a lot of Trek galaxy maps, it looked like the creep of Borg Space was reaching down from the Delta Quadrant and into the Romulan's patch of the Beta Quadrant. It almost looked like any attempted Borg invasion of Federation Space would have to go through Romulan Space first.

When the Romulans appear in the TNG:S1 episode The Neutral Zone, asking about the strange attacks along the Neutral Zone (which we learn later were probably Borg attacks.), I can't help but wonder if the Captain of that Warbird merely pretended to be unaware of the Borg. In classic Romulan style, he might have just been out to see if Picard / The Federation knew about the Borg.

Beyond that, the Borg may have been a Romulan secret at that time which was helping push their technological advancement.

Maybe, but when they resumed contact, the Romulans weren't so much more advanced than the Federation that I would expect them to have fared particularly well against a concerted Borg incursion. That would have triggered movement of at least some refugees into Federation space, and they would have told tales.

The D'deridex is a big ship, but aside from that, nothing about it screams "Borg-killer". It doesn't appear to have adaptive features, or at least none are mentioned at any point, despite the class being involved in plenty of fights. It's not a particularly fast ship (Galaxy class is faster, and even those can't outrun a cube). I would even say its size counts against it, considering the Federation's eventual response to the Borg was to make smaller and more agile battleships.

The Romulan Captain did also seem to be proceeding from the assumption that the Federation had been attacking their border colonies, until that encounter. Why would a Romulan be deceptive??
    Evade wrote: »
    I always saw the Romulan fleet as having the same sort of doctrine as the Imperial Japanese Navy had in the build up to World War II. It basically boils down to - we can't outbuild the rest of the world, or galaxy in the Romulans' case, so we will build better ships that will always win in engagements of equal number.

Yep, I'd even suggest they were building the D'deridex class as a reply to the Galaxy class. The Tal Shiar most likely had kept close tabs on developments at Starfleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Really looking forward to this show starting. The trailer was exciting.

And can I just say I am amazed by the amount of knowledge you guys have on the ST universe. It's really impressive and I'm really enjoying reading the posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I like the idea of the Romulans still being a threat if only for sightly more ship tension for the great one. They will still have a massive fleet and millitary complex around to run it. But not necessarily the ability to move entire populations of their own people from other planets.

Now the federation has a huge fleet aswell but once again not necessarily the ability to move entire populations.

Could it be that the Romulans sign a hasty deal with the Federation to merge? From the voice over on the trailer I'm placeing the Romulans as representative of the American woman. Let's face it they made the English language their own and in my opinion are silver tongued as feck.

Advertisement