Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Evade wrote: »
    I always saw the Romulan fleet as having the same sort of doctrine as the Imperial Japanese Navy had in the build up to World War II. It basically boils down to - we can't outbuild the rest of the world, or galaxy in the Romulans' case, so we will build better ships that will always win in engagements of equal number.

I have always compared the Romulsn fleet to the Klingon fleet. While the Klingons mostly preferred ships like that Bird of Prey as its fast, agile and powerful for its size the Romulans preferred a build big but not have as many ships philosophy.

The Klingons did not mid if they lost some ships in battle as long as they died in an honorable way whereas the Romulans are more sneaky and prefer not to lose ships that's why they build them big.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If the timeline has the romulans destroyed in the new movies how do they put TNG and the following series end up on the same timeline?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

kowloon wrote: »
    If the timeline has the romulans destroyed in the new movies how do they put TNG and the following series end up on the same timeline?

Romulus getting destroyed, in the 2009 movie, occurred in the same "prime" timeline as all the other TV shows - including this new Picard series.

The alternative "Kelvin" timeline started when Nero went back in time *after* the destruction of Romulus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

There are no "alternate timelines " in star trek. It's the DTI's and the TIC's job to ensure that. Alternate universes yes, but not alternate timelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Goodshape wrote: »
    Romulus getting destroyed, in the 2009 movie, occurred in the same "prime" timeline as all the other TV shows - including this new Picard series.

The alternative "Kelvin" timeline started when Nero went back in time *after* the destruction of Romulus.

It's remarkable how many people seem to have missed this.

There's a fair few things depicted in the three JJ movies that are technically "prime", should Kurtzman choose to honour them, as he has with the destruction of Romulus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭corkie

Romulas been destroyed happened after the events of all prior shows at that point.

You have the original Canon timeline up to that point. All TV shows + 10 movies prior to 2009!

Prime and Kelvin timelines are products of the new licensing deals by CBS etc.

Don't confuse Prime Timeline with the Original Canon timeline.

Picard series is set in the Prime timeline and not original canon timeline.

It is highly unlikely we will see more content in Kelvin timeline (3 latest movies) which is a forked timeline with Nero and Spock going back to alter/fork the timeline.

corkie wrote: »
    Romulas been destroyed happened after the events of all prior shows at that point.

You have the original Canon timeline up to that point. All TV shows + 10 movies prior to 2009!

Prime and Kelvin timelines are products of the new licensing deals by CBS etc.

Don't confuse Prime Timeline with the Original Canon timeline.

Picard series is set in the Prime timeline and not original canon timeline.

It is highly unlikely we will see more content in Kelvin timeline (3 latest movies) which is a forked timeline with Nero and Spock going back to alter/fork the timeline.

Midnights Edge logic. Prime is Original Canon. So far the CBS/Paramount divide has amounted to little more than some pretty cosmetic issues, while the canon has been honoured as much as it was in the transition from TOS to TNG. Whatever people's beef may be with Discovery, the split has had little meaningful impact.

May all be moot soon anyway, looks like a merger is back on the table.

Midnights Edge logic. Prime is Original Canon. So far the CBS/Paramount divide has amounted to little more than some pretty cosmetic issues, while the canon has been honoured as much as it was in the transition from TOS to TNG. Whatever people's beef may be with Discovery, the split has had little meaningful impact.

May all be moot soon anyway, looks like a merger is back on the table.

Prime is the same timeline as Canon.

But the terms Prime and Kelvin didn't exist until the 2009 movie, due to licensing deals.

Even if the main source of this theory is ME, it still does not invalidate the logic of it?

But ME lies? Seem to be called out by CBS?

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-feel-knowing-that-the-Star-Trek-prime-timeline-is-not-Canon-This-includes-Discovery-and-Kelvin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

So the Romulans being blown up happened after Nemesis but but the bad guys going back in time in the Reboot film is where the timeline splits? If Discovery happened before TOS and the reboot films doesn't that make Discovery valid in both timelines?

So there's Prime, Kelvin and Canon?

So the Romulans being blown up happened after Nemesis but but the bad guys going back in time in the Reboot film is where the timeline splits? If Discovery happened before TOS and the reboot films doesn't that make Discovery valid in both timelines?

As Nero travels back to a time when 'Kirk' was born? Who knows what could have happened in that forked timeline from that point, with regards to discovery.

Prime =~= Canon <<<< One continuous timeline. Original canon ends with 'Nemesis'
    Kelvin is a forked timeline for 3 Cinema movies.

Not debating whether Discovery is canon or not, I fine with it been called it now,
    the various ways of describing the shows (OCT, Discovery and Kelvin) is handy.

• Advertisement

But the terms Prime and Kelvin didn't exist until the 2009 movie

Neither did 'Canon Timeline' though. This is the first time I've ever heard it actually.

Kelvin timeline was created as a plot device – possibly necessitated by real world licensing issues, but that's largely irrelevant – and the term 'Prime timeline' just exists as a reference to not Kelvin. It had to be called something.

So the Romulans being blown up happened after Nemesis but but the bad guys going back in time in the Reboot film is where the timeline splits?

Yes.
    If Discovery happened before TOS and the reboot films doesn't that make Discovery valid in both timelines?

In Star Trek '09 they traveled back to just before Kirk is born, so the split had already happened about 30 years before Discovery.

Officially though, Discovery takes place in the original "Prime" timeline. Kelvin timeline is only those 3 movies.

Not outside some unfounded fan theories, imo. There's really just the original "prime" timeline and the three movies in the Kelvin timeline.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Neither did 'Canon Timeline' though. This is the first time I've ever heard it actually.

Don't know if I picked up ' Oringal Canon Timeline' from some YouTube's or something I just used to classify the shows and movies prior to 2009 in my own head.

Even if the main source of this theory is ME, it still does not invalidate the logic of it?

But ME lies? Seem to be called out by CBS?

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-feel-knowing-that-the-Star-Trek-prime-timeline-is-not-Canon-This-includes-Discovery-and-Kelvin

ME are very good at hearing hoofbeats and calling it a zebra or a unicorn, because horses are boring and don't get enough clicks.
    Don't know if I picked up ' Oringal Canon Timeline' from some YouTube's or something I just used to classify the shows and movies prior to 2009 in my own head.

My issue is that it's not a useful distinction, unless you subscribe to the implication that Discovery is in some special parallel canon. I think once you start down that rabbit hole, the inconsistencies between every version of Star Trek (and even within versions) lead you to as many parallel canons as you fancy.

What's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,278 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Time can be rewritten

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Time can be rewritten

The wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey bits can, but not the fixed points.

The wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey bits can, but not the fixed points.

Once you dont create a fixed point event.....or a temporal paradox...

1435969_original.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The events of the 2009 that depict the destruction of Romulus and Spock attempting to save the planet before going back in time are all in the prime universe and are canon.

There are a few youtubers who sh!t all over Trek who say it’s not. They are, of course, wrong.

Picard happens 15 years after those events.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The events of the 2009 that depict the destruction of Romulus and Spock attempting to save the planet before going back in time are all in the prime universe and are canon.

As is anything depicted in the JJ films that predates the arrival of Nerada.

USS Kelvin and Captain Robau would have been around, though they would have survived longer in the prime universe. I had hoped they might make an appearance in Discovery, but that ship has sailed into the 33rd century. USS Franklin and Captain Edison- they would still have gone missing in action and then crashed on that planet from Beyond, though what happened to them later may have been very different.
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    There are a few youtubers who sh!t all over Trek who say it’s not. They are, of course, wrong.

Midnights Edge, MechaRandom, Nerdrotic. Hateful people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭Evade

Maybe not. Any time travel due to have happened in the prime universe after 2233 that influenced an event from before 2233 may not have played out the same way, or even at all, in the Kelvin Timeline. Off the top of my head: The Voyage Home, First Contact, TNG Times Arrow, Voyager Future's End, DS9 Little Green Men and Past Tense. Even small changes in those events could have had a major impact on how pre-2233 Kelvin timeline played out.

• Advertisement
    Ms

USS Kelvin and Captain Robau would have been around, though they would have survived longer in the prime universe. I had hoped they might make an appearance in Discovery, but that ship has sailed into the 33rd century. USS Franklin and Captain Edison- they would still have gone missing in action and then crashed on that planet from Beyond, though what happened to them later may have been very different.

Regarding the USS Kelvin I am glad it did not appear in Discovery. The ship was old in the film anyway so its is more than likely mothballed by the time of Discovery and its not like the Captain was a big player or even the smartest captain. If he was smart he he would have turned his ship around and ran as soon as he seen the size of the ship emerging from the time hole.

As for the USS Franklin and Captain Edison; Yes I agree they could have still gone missing in action but not crashed on the planet or maybe they did but got rescued. Maybe they got lost in a nebula instead or even destroyed in one or in an electrical storm or maybe they just l did not go missing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭liamtech

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/brent-spiner-guest-appearance-star-trek-picard/

DATA!!!!

Always hated how he died now we get to see what happened with B4

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

liamtech wrote: »
    https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/brent-spiner-guest-appearance-star-trek-picard/

DATA!!!!

Always hated how he died now we get to see what happened with B4

Oooohhhhh. Interesting. Definitely excited for this show.

Data better have the grey streak in his hair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Rawr

Data better have the grey streak in his hair :D

It makes him look like a bloody skunk!!

(Angrily wheels tea-trolley away)

Ms

The two best TNG actors and two of Star Treks best actors back together on screen. I can't flipping wait.

As Picard would say.

Make It so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,954 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well then. I am a little surprised by that. Wonder if Spiner will have to get into better shape, or if his age and fitness will be worked in as some "data does human" angle

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well then. I am a little surprised by that. Wonder if Spiner will have to get into better shape, or if his age and fitness will be worked in as some "data does human" angle

Or maybe they'll do a little CG de-ageing?

The source have added a note saying their source pulled the Spiner story without explanation. Hopefully this is true though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,954 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

God I hope not, the MCU films have been the only ones to be pull off the de-ageing, and even then just in Captain Marvel. Avengers Endgames own was as bad as it tends to be, that waxy, plastic look.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Advertisement