Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightning,Torrential Rain & Gale Force Winds for Wednesday Night/Thursday Morning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

aa roadwatch twitter reporting
    fallen debris has been reported on the N4 westbound through Carrick on Shannon, Co. Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The system seemed to get absorbed by the more northern centre quite quickly this afternoon.

Satellite representation was very good this morning and there must have been severe winds entrained in it this morning, SU's ASCAT pass picks this up.

However that is the difficulty of following the limited number of local high res models.

For example the 6z WRF model run showed sustained Storm Force 10 winds impacting the Galway coast while the 12z run modelled winds just of Gale Force 8.

Very difficult to handle this situations.

Although i did get it wrong today, thought we would have seen higher gusts of maybe 60-70 knots in the west.

In reality we got one or two gusts to 50 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Seems to have calmed down in Donegal now, rain has stopped also, probably not for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

MT was on the money with his updated posted after 2pm today.

The winds in West Munster peaked between 11am and approx 1pm, easing considerably and rapidly.

Since after 2pm its been a return to normal conditions :)

Looking forward to the next wind event whenever that may be...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tactical wrote: »
    MT was on the money with his updated posted after 2pm today.

The winds in West Munster peaked between 11am and approx 1pm, easing considerably and rapidly.

Since after 2pm its been a return to normal conditions :)

Looking forward to the next wind event whenever that may be...:D

Could be Wednesday night, a nice cold wave front feature in the making!

Looks like it will be most active in England at the moment though

42hr NAE

12112206_2012.gif

48hr NAE
    12112212_2012.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Mace Head just about tipped 39-40 knots sustained winds this afternoon.

Taken from http://macehead.nuigalway.ie/rt/many1

attachment.php?attach_id=43199ed7fd2db6aafff132e608e3103f&mid=id.121205594705134&hash=AQDeoFxzgblIfNZg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here's an earlier Windsat image from 0604Z this morning, showing some 50 knot winds southeast of the small centre, which is at around 51N 16W.

229455.png

Water vapour shows a strong northwesterly inflow of dry air interacting with the increased moisture from the south.

229455.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

18Z NAE has 90 km/h sustained winds in the Irish Sea, south of the Isle of Man on Thursday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Weathercheck (and others), just wanted to mention before I forget, but your post-mortem on today's event may be unnecessarily negative towards your own call, these smaller scale systems tend to produce more isolated strong winds therefore the chance of them being recorded at weather observing sites is diminished relative to a larger scale system like the one on Sunday night where observations were very close to the group discussion.

I would say some of the forum member observations might support higher gusts than the maximum seen at reporting sites (where I believe it was 48 kts or something similar). Who knows, perhaps a report will come in from the Galway region of some localized wind damage, the radar was looking quite active for an hour or two around 4 pm.

So I for one think that the event was well spotted considering how the models were basically all over the place with guidance almost to 48h and it played out almost like a meso-scale event.

I'll post about the Thursday-Friday potential towards morning, figuring the models need another chance to reboot now that this little business is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hi MT there were reports on local radio of a number of trees down , I was going into town at the height of the storm and there was a number of people with hats on a building site where there is a tower crane looking at it as it swayed in the wind, I recorded a gust of 70 mph on my weather machine around 2pm. I drove through Salthill and the wind was ripping the tops off the waves and it was like a sandstorm with the sand being blown off the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I would say some of the forum member observations might support higher gusts than the maximum seen at reporting sites (where I believe it was 48 kts or something similar). Who knows, perhaps a report will come in from the Galway region of some localized wind damage, the radar was looking quite active for an hour or two around 4 pm.

So I for one think that the event was well spotted considering how the models were basically all over the place with guidance almost to 48h and it played out almost like a meso-scale event.

I'll post about the Thursday-Friday potential towards morning, figuring the models need another chance to reboot now that this little business is over.

I was in Salthill (Galway seafront) around 2pm and it certainly felt stronger than what most stations seemed to be recording, quite an effort to walk into the wind and I was being tossed around a bit by the gusts, was surprised when I got back to work that Mace Head was only recording 27kts and only gusting to 40kts. It was nothing major really but considering how calm it was in the morning it was definitely an event worth of discussion and to make people aware of it. Considering the model divergence even this morning I think people can be excused for overplaying it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

For what its worth, NUIG station only recorded a top gust of 37 kts today, but that is obviously flawed as I recorded a higher gust here much further inland and I am down a hole so to speak.
    229495.png

Highest gust here was recorded 2 hours later than Galway at 1500hrs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ah c'mon, Level 1 in Galway STARTS at gusting to 60KT and everything else is a stiff breeze. :D

Estofex never even gave that squall a Level 1 did they??

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ah c'mon, Level 1 in Galway STARTS at gusting to 60KT and everything else is a stiff breeze. :D

Been a long time since we had a even a decent breeze here. I recorded higher mean wind speeds & gusts during one of the hottest, sunniest days of the year (last spring) than I did yesterday. I think it is interesting that wind speeds never seem as potent during warm weather as they do if the same strength of wind occurs when it is cold.

Top gust speeds yesterday:

Knock: 50 kt
    Valentia: 48 kt
    Claremorris: 47 kt
    Shannon Apt: 45 kt
    Mace Head 46 kt
    Roches Pt: 41 kt
    Mullingar: 40 kt
    Cork Apt 40 kt
    Belmullet: 38 kt
    Casement 38 kt

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

It would be interesting to know how much rain we've had. Its barely stopped here since Sunday. (beautiful cold morning now though after a very wet start)

snaps wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know how much rain we've had. Its barely stopped here since Sunday. (beautiful cold morning now though after a very wet start)

Claremorris 3 day total (Sun-Tues) 45.2 mm

http://www.met.ie/climate/daily-data.asp

Claremorris 3 day total (Sun-Tues) 45.2 mm

http://www.met.ie/climate/daily-data.asp
    I should really get my own rain gauge. As I know there is a lot more localised weather than at the official stations. We are a lot more affected by conemmara mountains climate wise than claremorris is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The west has reached around 100% of November rainfall by now ( Shannon-Knock and points in between) the south and east are below their average, Casement under 50% to date. Even the Donegal stations are sub 100%. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The west has reached around 100% of November rainfall by now ( Shannon-Knock and points in between) the south and east are below their average, Casement under 50% to date. Even the Donegal stations are sub 100%. :)

Yes, Shannon is over its total Nov 2011 rainfall already. Ground is saturated throughout the west and southwest. Would be concerned in relation to tonight's rainfall which will coincide with rain from Sunday/Monday from catchment areas flowing into basins like Ennis.

http://www.clareherald.com/2012/11/raised-flood-risk-in-ennis-public-urged.html

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

my weather station has recorded over a 1000mm's of rain since the 1st of January this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Taken from Mickger844posts weather station in Waterford city.

Last 7 Days: 32.00 mm

November Rain:85.2 mm

Rain Season: 890.8 mm (I'm guessing this is year to date figure, can you confirm Mick?)

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/index.php

Wind getting up here now and raining heavy again. My poor lawn is under water allready. have to wear wellies to get coal and wood from shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

No warning yet on Met Eireann website though.

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/IE-Ireland.html

No warning yet on Met Eireann website though.

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/IE-Ireland.html
    a lot of pink and reds on the radar in Clare.

under it here snaps. no lightning yet but rain is intense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It's a bit strange Met Eireann have a warning on Meteoalarm but not on their website apart from a gale warning.

lightning reported in west cork now

Not joking guys but its monsoon weather here in Galway pitch dark with torrential rain , no thunder damn it

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Not joking guys but its monsoon weather here in Galway pitch dark with torrential rain , no thunder damn it
    suns shining here now! Amazing considering 10 minutes ago the rain was hammering down. Wind howling too now.

• Advertisement

THis is passing here as well I can see it brightning to the West

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement