Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightning,Torrential Rain & Gale Force Winds for Wednesday Night/Thursday Morning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just on local radio here now that Met Eireann have issued a weather warning for the West with over 35mm of rain expected tonight and tomorrow, the river Corrib is very high at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Just on local radio here now that Met Eireann have issued a weather warning for the West with over 35mm of rain expected tonight and tomorrow, the river Corrib is very high at present.

No weather warning on the website anyway, just a gale warning. Forecast mentions flooding risk though.
    Another spell of heavy thundery rain, developing along the Atlantic seaboard early tonight, will cross the country later. Some intense bursts of rain are likely over short periods of time, giving some localised flooding. But more showery and less windy weather, will follow from the west later on.

The 12Z NAE shows up to 40mm in the part of southwest falling in less than 24 hours.
    Forecast for coasts from Malin Head to Wicklow Head to Mizen Head and for the Irish Sea
    Wind: South to southwest force 4 to 6, increasing force 6 to 7 this afternoon, increasing force 7 or gale force 8 in the evening, further increasing gale force 8 to strong gale force 9 overnight. Possibly reaching storm force 10 in eastern and southern parts of the Irish Sea tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Lightening warning just now on RTE 1.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

very windy down here in ballincollig in cork,lashing too,hope to god there's no lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

It's a bit strange Met Eireann have a warning on Meteoalarm but not on their website apart from a gale warning.

Warnings
    hr.gif

from Met Eireann

Warnings
    hr.gif

Gale Warning

Southerly gale to storm force winds will develop this evening and tonight, on all coasts of Ireland and on the Irish Sea.
    Issued at 17:00 on 21-Nov-2012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

konman wrote: »
    Warnings
    hr.gif

from Met Eireann

Warnings
    hr.gif

Gale Warning

Southerly gale to storm force winds will develop this evening and tonight, on all coasts of Ireland and on the Irish Sea.
    Issued at 17:00 on 21-Nov-2012

Yeah i saw that afterwards thanks. No rain warning yet though unlike on Meteoalarm though is in the general forecast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Taken from Mickger844posts weather station in Waterford city.

Last 7 Days: 32.00 mm

November Rain:85.2 mm

Rain Season: 890.8 mm (I'm guessing this is year to date figure, can you confirm Mick?)

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/index.php

Yes Jerry, that's the year to date figure. Only one rain season in Ireland that lasts all year long ;)

I don't recall seeing Met Eireann put an Orange level awareness for thunderstorms on Meteoalarm before. It's usually just wind/rain warnings.

Nr1Ch.jpg

Orange:
    The weather is dangerous. Unusual meteorological phenomena have been forecast. Damage and casualties are likely to happen. Be very vigilant and keep regularly informed about the detailed expected meteorological conditions. Be aware of the risks that might be unavoidable. Follow any advice given by your authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Lightning strikes in South Kerry in the last 10 minutes,
    Had strong gales and driving rain just after 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

No weather warning on the website anyway, just a gale warning. Forecast mentions flooding risk though.

The 12Z NAE shows up to 40mm in the part of southwest falling in less than 24 hours.
    Could you post that image please ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yes, Evelyn suggested that the squall crossing the country tonight could be very intense in places. Lightning and flooding with gales a concern.

Wow is right. No wonder Evelyn looked concerned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Going to be a busy night then :D

229564.png

The warning said a line of thunderstorms , this looks like an army of them

km79 wrote: »
    Could you post that image please ?

The outline of Ireland is not easy to see.

wAdx5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

The outline of Ireland is not easy to see.

wAdx5.jpg
    I am in the lighter rain rate in the middle (crosses fingers)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ECM throws a potential storm system through this weekend too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Just as an aside, It would be useful if the OP was edited along with the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Jess lads who is sparing the new thread button? Third time this week I thought I was clicking on a new thread only to be taken to the first page of last weeks event.
    For new events lot easier on readers to click on a thread and see the warning at the first page rather than going to the last page and trying to figure out when the new warning started

It is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Cork looks to be in the firing line - or will they fizzle out as they move inland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Redsunset wrote: »
    It is

The thread title is: LEVEL 1 Slight risk of extreme event Lightning,Torrential Rain & Gale Force Winds for Wednesday Night/Thursday Morning

The first line in the OP is: UPDATE: Storm system likely to hit Ireland late Sunday/Early Monday.

ECM throws a potential storm system through this weekend too!!

Some of the GFS ensembles have that idea too.

Met Eireann just issued a weather warning for the squall line.
    Weather Warning

Issued at 21 November 2012 - 18:21

Weather Warning

An active squall line will cross the country overnight.
    Southerly winds are likely to gust 85 to 100 km/h - highest gusts in coastal areas.
    Some heavy thundery downpours can be expected too, giving some local spot flooding and poor driving conditions.
    The western half of the country is likely to be affected by the heavy rain first, with eastern areas most at risk closer to dawn.

Valid from 1800 Wednesday 21st November to 1000 Thursday 22nd November.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

leahyl wrote: »
    Cork looks to be in the firing line - or will they fizzle out as they move inland?
    I think they are dying out as they move inland, you would expect some strikes over the south midlands looking at this blob on the radar but nothing is happening at the moment.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

I think they are dying out as they move inland, you would expect some strikes over the south midlands looking at this blob on the radar but nothing is happening at the moment.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Still offshore, won't be reaching here until overnight.

9yvLJ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Pat Clark used the words "squall line" on the radio at 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

Run for cover there is a bit of wind and rain coming.... Agggghhhhhhh!! My flower pot got knocked over in the back garden and there is a puddle in my driveway... I better do as MT always advises in these life threatening situations....contact loved ones and seek shelter... WTF? Its not tornado alley!! Anyway I leaving, so Redsunset, you total asswipe, ban me all you F****** want.... sick of all the lackeys on here.........

Ok

• Advertisement

Run for cover there is a bit of wind and rain coming.... Agggghhhhhhh!! My flower pot got knocked over in the back garden and there is a puddle in my driveway... I better do as MT always advises in these life threatening situations....contact loved ones and seek shelter... WTF? Its not tornado alley!! Anyway I leaving, so Redsunset, you total asswipe, ban me all you F****** want.... sick of all the lackeys on here.........

0432_hhp24.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement