Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightning,Torrential Rain & Gale Force Winds for Wednesday Night/Thursday Morning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

No mention of 90-110 km/h gusts on the 18:25 update from Met Eireann, so perhaps a downgrade from them.
    It will be a windy day everywhere, but the strongest winds will be along the west coast in the afternoon were they may reach gale force for a time, together with some severe gusts.

gbee wrote: »
    Storm force what? I've heard the same, so I know.

Forecast for coasts from Roches Point to Slyne Head to Malin Head
    Wind: South to southwest force 4 to 6, increasing force 6 or 7 overnight. Further increasing gale force 8 or strong gale force 9 tomorrow forenoon, possibly touching storm force 10 north of Valentia in the afternoon.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/sea-area.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

maquiladora

It was a test, I know you now. :)

Yes, touching storm force 10. :) unless one is at seas. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

No mention of 90-110 km/h

Storm force ten is not too far off. If one were to be pedantic, 87~102kph is ST10

gbee wrote: »
    Storm force ten is not too far off. If one were to be pedantic, 87~102kph is ST10

The sea area forecast mentions storm force, but that's out at sea. The earlier national forecast mentioned 90-110 km/h gusts (not sustained) for coasts. They dropped that from the latest national forecast though.

Nothing that the west coast isn't well used to seeing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

While this may well be a bust, I don't see any harm in highlighting the potential for severe winds along the west coast tomorrow. Though nowhere near as potent, the set up itself does not look dissimilar the short lived, squall type storm that wiped out entire families along the Mayo coast back in Oct 1927. If our discussing the various possibilities sows the seeds of caution in the minds of those people who work at sea who might be reading this thread then not a bad thing IMO.

Here is how the latest EMHI is looking for tomorrow. Very slightly further north than earlier runs but still worth keeping a beady eye on for the time being.
    hirlamanimation.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,663 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

snaps wrote: »
    to me looking at latest GFS charts wednesday and thursday look quite windy and stormy for the west/north west?

To my eyes both the 12Z GFS and ECM have significantly upgraded the potential of Thurday's wind event!!:eek:

Birdnuts wrote: »
    To my eyes both the 12Z GFS and ECM have significantly upgraded the potential of Thurday's wind event!!:eek:

It's confusing with different 'events' on different days, but yeah on the GFS anyway Thursday does look more severe. The red area is 100-110 km/h gusts, and thats over a fairly big chuck, extending inland and not just on coasts.

ahW0n.gif

Very fluid situation over the next few days though, so that could very easily turn out to be a lot less strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Birdnuts wrote: »

Not a huge upgrade but one none the less...

229290.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

For what its worth the 18z run of the WRF model shows storm force 10 winds for a time along some western coasts early tomorrow afternoon.

Galway Bay looks particularly hard hit in this run with Severe Gale 9 and Storm 10 winds.

The model even depeicts inland gale force 8 winds tomorrow afternoon and into the evening.

Let's keep our guard up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

I'm getting the same popup login box too.
    I keep getting that on mobile. Anybody know what it is?????

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭eastmayo

kwik wrote: »
    I keep getting that as well on mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

kwik wrote: »

I think it is the images Bsal is posting. You need to login to to see them. We get this pop up every page he posts image in.

I get the broken image picture with his posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

eastmayo wrote: »
    I keep getting that as well on mobile
    me too, just on my mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭vickers209

A username and password are being requested by http://www.pilotbrief.net. The site says: "Pilotbrief International"
    Are yous getting a login saying above too??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

vickers209 wrote: »
    Yup, I'm getting the same on mobile .

It's from the .gif images Bsal is posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Let's keep our guard up.

Runs to make sure batteries for GoPro are fully charged and memory card is empty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Getting this on laptop this evening & earlier today in work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

Sorry guys, didn't know that was happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

Afternoon is looking strong in the west.

wi15.gif

Nice jet too at FL300, up to 160kts

wi151.gif

Interesting little feature being forecast by DCU chart for early Wednseday morning for SE/E coast.

229326.png

It is interesting how the models have been showing these small but potent mesoscale systems over the last 3 or 4 days. Whether or not they will verify is another question but interesting nontheless.

posted this in wrong thread

Here is the concerning WRF model for tomorrow afternoon.

WIND-D2-120.png

WIND-D2-121.png

WINDlegend.png

Bsal wrote: »
    Afternoon is looking strong in the west.

Nice jet too at FL300, up to 160kts

Hadn't realised the jet was that intense. WOW.

That balloon launched in Valentia tomorrow will end up in Norway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A 2311 update from Met Eireann....Tuesday-It will be a wet start to the day in parts of the north and east as the rain starts to clear away. It will become drier and clearer in parts of the midlands and the east during the late morning and early afternoon. However heavy squally showers will develop in the west during the afternoon with isolated thunderstorms. Tuesday will be a very windy day with fresh to strong and gusty southwest winds which will touch gale force for a time along the west coast during the afternoon. Highest temperatures of 10 to 13 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

...."gale force for a time".....

Downgrade if I ever saw one! :rolleyes:

Just to get us in the mood for tomorra (even if it does not verify) :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk_TiqyXUss

For anyone keeping an eye on the satellite images, this is the area to watch with signs of circulation already developing as trough encounters some drier mid-level air.

229335.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lets see what Met Eireann have to say now ,on the radio,on RTE Radio 1....its the land and Sea Area Forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If anyone's looking in this early (or late) the first models reporting (GFS, GME) have upgraded and there does appear to be just enough of a time window for this short wave to intensify as suggested by the bursts of convection over west Munster in the past hour (10 mm rain 02-03h at Sherkin Island for instance). Expecting a general upgrade with the later guidance and so would say watch out west coast, incoming about noon to 3 p.m., into west Ulster a bit later than that. A more extensive report on model guidance later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Very heavy rain here in mayo. Can hear it on roof. The ground is saturated here, we will have serious flooding if this onslaught of rain keeps up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement