Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Kinetica Lean Gain:

Typical per 100g
    Energy 402kcal
    Protein 35.2g
    Carbohydrate 44.1g
    of which sugars 18.4g
    Fat 9.4g
    of which saturates 7.4g
    Dietary Fibre 1.2g

Myprotein Total Gainer seems very similar breakdown:

Typical per 100g
    Energy 411kcal
    Protein 34.0g
    Carbohydrate 46.0g
    of which sugars 9.8g
    Fat 9.8g
    of which saturates 1.6g
    Dietary Fibre 3.3g

Protein works have "The Works" which is similar enough, I think with a higher protein content and lower carbs/fats.

would the ON gold standard whey not be better than both the above?

Typical per 100g

Total Calories 360
    Calories From Fat 30
    Total Fat 3 g
    Saturated Fat 1.5 g
    Cholesterol 90 mg
    Sodium 180 mg
    Potassium 660 mg
    Total Carbohydrates 9 g
    Sugars 3 g
    Protein 72 g
    Calcium 420 mg

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

would the ON gold standard whey not be better than both the above?

No, because they want a gainer, not whey.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

DL Saint wrote: »
    No, because they want a gainer, not whey.

oh right sorry about that. Im still trying to read up on the various products - would whey be useful for recovery after sessions? or when is it most beneficial?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

ON serious mass is good weight gainer. 1250kcals per serving, 50g protein and a huge 250g of carbs..

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

ON serious mass is good weight gainer. 1250kcals per serving, 50g protein and a huge 250g of carbs..

Yes, it has loads of calories in it but it's also full of sugars and filler. Wouldn't recommend it unless you're just purely going for as much calories as physically possible. Just get a whey and blend stuff into it. Oats, nut butters, berries, greek yoghurt... whatever. It'll be much better. If you still want a weight gainer look at OatGain by Kinetica or MHP Up Your Mass. Making your own is still a cheaper option though.

Oisín

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

16 servings per 5.5 kilo lol.

Malto as carb source

3-4 quid per serving.

I cant see anything good about it really.

As above if you want a weight gainer buy oats (you can even get preblended ones if you like it smooth), add whey, add oil/peanut butter.

Done. Stay in control of your macros and avoid crap weight gainers.

Oisinjm wrote: »
    Yes, it has loads of calories in it but it's also full of sugars and filler. Wouldn't recommend it unless you're just purely going for as much calories as physically possible. Just get a whey and blend stuff into it. Oats, nut butters, berries, greek yoghurt... whatever. It'll be much better. If you still want a weight gainer look at OatGain by Kinetica or MHP Up Your Mass. Making your own is still a cheaper option though.

Oisín

Cheers, I'll look into doing that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Tried my jaffa cake whey. Delicious! Very zesty. Needs a little more chocolate to be perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Picked up these Liquid amino acids today, seen in them in Nourish by chance thought I'd give them a go, might be of interest to some people here.
    I'm using them like regular soy sauce so far, and its real tasty.
    It was a little spray style bottle they had for around €5.

http://bragg.com/products/la.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

john_cappa wrote: »
    16 servings per 5.5 kilo lol.

Malto as carb source

3-4 quid per serving.

I cant see anything good about it really.

As above if you want a weight gainer buy oats (you can even get preblended ones if you like it smooth), add whey, add oil/peanut butter.

Done. Stay in control of your macros and avoid crap weight gainers.

I hate to sound like someone who works for them always banging on about their products but Bulkpowders weight gainer is the business! Nothing but oats, protein, glutamine and l-leuchine!

30 something servings from a 5kg sack, i got more because i only used 100g per serving and not the 135g suggested!

Still getting 30 odd grams of protein and over 400 kcals per shake with no malto/dextrose just a small bit of flavouring! I love the stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Heres a bulkpowders referal code 5 pounds off
    AF08236

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Tried my jaffa cake whey. Delicious! Very zesty. Needs a little more chocolate to be perfect

I took delivery of Jaffa Cake today, along with Apple Cinnamon Swirl, Cherry Bakewell and Choc Mint Brownie. Won't try them until next week but can't wait! These great protein flavours are actually taking the place of real chocolate and sugary snacks in my diet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

SuprSi wrote: »
    I took delivery of Jaffa Cake today, along with Apple Cinnamon Swirl, Cherry Bakewell and Choc Mint Brownie. Won't try them until next week but can't wait! These great protein flavours are actually taking the place of real chocolate and sugary snacks in my diet!

WTF??? Whatever happened to chocolate or Vanilla! Seems like people are looking for a desert after training these days! My shake is gone in less then 10 seconds, unflavoured all the way! get the biggest bang for your buck protein content wise! Surely all those flavours are just whacking a ton of sweeteners and sugars into the mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Sure what's the harm in having something that tastes great? I actually look forward to drinking my shakes these days. I'd have no problem drinking unflavoured stuff but if I can get something that tastes like my favourite sweet things yet provides a load of protein I'm not going to complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Anyone ever tried the Grenande brand of supplements?

Seen a lot of advertising for their AT4 booster recently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

SuprSi wrote: »
    Sure what's the harm in having something that tastes great? I actually look forward to drinking my shakes these days. I'd have no problem drinking unflavoured stuff but if I can get something that tastes like my favourite sweet things yet provides a load of protein I'm not going to complain!

Same here, plus I tend to add protein to porridge a lot, and it gives a great taste without the need for milk/sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

That stuff looks class, loaded with ginseng and b12...both very good for energy...also with astagalarus, which is very good for the immune system and fighting man flu. May look at this stuff, how much does it cost?

Shroomtech sport is around 25 euro for 30 caps. Three is a big dose for me, I'm 6'2" and 100kg.

Use Rogan as a coupon code for money off. I usually wait until they do a free shipping offer and buy a skipload.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭rory16

Hi, I am currently using Hurricane XS form myprotein and recently bought creatine monohydrate capsules from H & B. I am noticing good gains but I am just wondering would I be better off buying pure whey protein instead of Hurricane along with the creatine caps next time?

All advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭rory16

Hi, I am currently using Hurricane XS form myprotein and recently bought creatine monohydrate capsules from H & B. I am noticing good gains but I am just wondering would I be better off buying pure whey protein instead of Hurricane along with the creatine caps next time?

All advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Ice87

rory16 wrote: »

All advice appreciated.

If you're seeing good progress I wouldn't change anything.

Cost wise though I would be more inclined to buy creatine powder over caps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Hey all,

Just looking for some advice on multi-vits...

Currently taking these ones and they seem good, but my supply is nearly out so can anyone recommend a good alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

http://ie.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

lads, i got the chocllate smooth flavour of this product. their are like 30 other flavours. im bored of the choclate. idd anyone try the others? ive tried protein from my gym in strawberry and vanilla and didnt like them. cookies one seems nice XD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

MarkY91 wrote: »
    http://ie.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

lads, i got the chocllate smooth flavour of this product. their are like 30 other flavours. im bored of the choclate. idd anyone try the others? ive tried protein from my gym in strawberry and vanilla and didnt like them. cookies one seems nice XD

I find the cookies and cream one really nice, so does my sister. Banana is nice as well.

Hey all,

Just looking for some advice on multi-vits...

Currently taking these ones and they seem good, but my supply is nearly out so can anyone recommend a good alternative?

I'm using these at the moment, think theyre good.
    http://www.rosnutrition.com/ie/product/accovit-performance

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Is there much of a difference between Multi-Vits in general?

I mean, if I buy Centrum over the Tesco own-brand, what am I paying more for other than marketing?

There are differences, how they are sourced, amounts,percents, absorption. Generally whole food sources are better than synthetic sources.
    I wouldn't trust Centrum ones centrum are owned by pfizer. Pfizer wouldn't strike me as being a fan of healthy people.

That said there are vits that can be mental expensive and I don't think theyre worth it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I find the cookies and cream one really nice, so does my sister. Banana is nice as well.

i was thinking on trying that. ill give it a go :D chocolate smooth got a little boring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

rory16 wrote: »

All advice appreciated.

Hi mate. What you need to do it alot of reading. You need to educate yourself on supplementation and nutrition. No one can answer your question but yourself really and if anyone tries to answer it then they are wrong.

The two products you are comparing are very different.

One is an all in one with a blend of proteins, carbs, with hmb and creapure and the other is a pure whey with creatine seperate.

You need to assess your diet as a whole. No one part will make or break it. If you have been using Hurricane xs then ask yourself why? If i stop using it (switch to just whey) then you are getting less carbs per day and what effect this will have on progress (assuming all other things stay equal)? How much protein carbs per day etc do I need?

Stickies above offer info.

john_cappa wrote: »
    Hi mate. What you need to do it alot of reading. You need to educate yourself on supplementation and nutrition. No one can answer your question but yourself really and if anyone tries to answer it then they are wrong.

The two products you are comparing are very different.

One is an all in one with a blend of proteins, carbs, with hmb and creapure and the other is a pure whey with creatine seperate.

You need to assess your diet as a whole. No one part will make or break it. If you have been using Hurricane xs then ask yourself why? If i stop using it (switch to just whey) then you are getting less carbs per day and what effect this will have on progress (assuming all other things stay equal)? How much protein carbs per day etc do I need?

Stickies above offer info.

Brilliant advice there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Zombienosh wrote: »
    There are differences, how they are sourced, amounts,percents, absorption. Generally whole food sources are better than synthetic sources.
    I wouldn't trust Centrum ones centrum are owned by pfizer. Pfizer wouldn't strike me as being a fan of healthy people.

That said there are vits that can be mental expensive and I don't think theyre worth it either.

I'm only taking them as a safety net, because some days I get enough of certain vits and/or minerals also recent studies seem to suggest that people who take multi-vitamins are in better health...I'll try and dig out the study

Advertisement