Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The only person I've seen buying Hydrowhey gets a 20% discount because he works in a shop that sells it.

Hydrobuilder is worth the cost, Hydrowhey isn't really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Pretty shameful I know, and please don't hate me, but I just started using Precision Engineerings Muscle and Weight gain from the dreaded Holland and Barrett as a client of mine works there and gave it me on the cheap.

But to cut a long story short, I'm already very fit in a lean sense from swimming etc, but I've always has skinny arms, shoulders and chest.

As I'm know getting into more weight training at my local gym, is this supplement any good? And if not, what would the vastly better alternatives be? I'm looking purely for weight and size gain, and my diet has been fully altered to suit my routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Just sent an email off to ON there asking about the price increase.

They might not even respond or care but I just felt I had to let them know I won't be buying something at a 50% price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Just sent an email off to ON there asking about the price increase.

They might not even respond or care but I just felt I had to let them know I won't be buying something at a 50% price increase.

What increased by 50%? There were price increases internationally for all brands, on glutamine and BCAAs especially. Whey increased in price slightly also. You'll notice Kinetica Whey Protein has increased in price as well. Nothing should have increased by 50% though, that's ridiculous.

Oisín

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Pretty shameful I know, and please don't hate me, but I just started using Precision Engineerings Muscle and Weight gain from the dreaded Holland and Barrett as a client of mine works there and gave it me on the cheap.

But to cut a long story short, I'm already very fit in a lean sense from swimming etc, but I've always has skinny arms, shoulders and chest.

As I'm know getting into more weight training at my local gym, is this supplement any good? And if not, what would the vastly better alternatives be? I'm looking purely for weight and size gain, and my diet has been fully altered to suit my routine.

I've used the Precision Engineer stuff, found it grand...much like the Kinetica not worth the money you pay...there are much better options available for much better value

• Advertisement

Oisinjm wrote: »
    What increased by 50%? There were price increases internationally for all brands, on glutamine and BCAAs especially. Whey increased in price slightly also. You'll notice Kinetica Whey Protein has increased in price as well. Nothing should have increased by 50% though, that's ridiculous.

Oisín

Amino energy has gone from €27.99 to €42.99, but only for irish people it seems?

Amino energy has gone from €27.99 to €42.99, but only for irish people it seems?

I know in my place the price is staying at €27.99 in store. Prices have gone up right across the board though, I've seen prices increase in the majority of brands. Supplements are much cheaper in America due to the massive volume of sales and also the huge competition in the market. There's a lot loss shops, brands and customers in Ireland. Just the way it is unfortunately.

Oisín

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Where did you see that? Any links?

Discount Supplements still have it at 27.

Yeah but 27 to 42? does that not seem mental to you?
    Comparing this to other brands offering better quantity for less money.
    I can understand things goin up a few quid but almost doubling is taking the piss. @42.99 I won't be buying it and I'm sure alot of people who were buying it will now think twice.
    27.99 is a handy price is was justifiable to impulse buy, 42.99 is near the same price as some ones protein so people will be like "hmmmm maybe next week and just put it off" and suddenly something that was cheap enough to grab becomes a "ah i dont really need it" product.

EDIT:
    on the ON site.
    http://www.optimumnutrition.ie/essential-amino-energy

That's insane!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

FYI: Elverys are doing a deal, buy one nutrition product get a second half price, so gonna be stocking up on the ON whey and the like... 2 5lb tubs = e97.5 so not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

POSSY wrote: »
    FYI: Elverys are doing a deal, buy one nutrition product get a second half price, so gonna be stocking up on the ON whey and the like... 2 5lb tubs = e97.5 so not too bad

Thats a terrible price if you are getting one half price!! A tub of ON gold standard is only about 40 odd quid in the supp shop out my way!

Thats a terrible price if you are getting one half price!! A tub of ON gold standard is only about 40 odd quid in the supp shop out my way!

Where is it? I'll to start heading out there!

Are you talking about a 2lb or 5lbs tub? Cost price for a 5lb is far far too close to 40 quid to be worth the shops while. What shop is it? Insane value for the product if it's true.

UN sports nutrition and discount supplements, the two biggest supplement retailers in the country have it for roughly €54.99 online and €57.99 in store.

Oisín

Yeah but 27 to 42? does that not seem mental to you?
    Comparing this to other brands offering better quantity for less money.
    I can understand things goin up a few quid but almost doubling is taking the piss. @42.99 I won't be buying it and I'm sure alot of people who were buying it will now think twice.
    27.99 is a handy price is was justifiable to impulse buy, 42.99 is near the same price as some ones protein so people will be like "hmmmm maybe next week and just put it off" and suddenly something that was cheap enough to grab becomes a "ah i dont really need it" product.

EDIT:
    on the ON site.
    http://www.optimumnutrition.ie/essential-amino-energy

Didn't see this post sorry. ON purposely have high prices on their own website. They're business model is set so that they don't compete with the supplement shops and websites around the country. Search around for a better price. You shouldn't have to pay over €27.99 and you'll probably be able to find it for as low as €24.99.

Oisín

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Hey I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to supplements. I was just wondering what is the best recovery shake on the market at the moment? Im just finding that a post workout mix of chicken/eggs and brocolli just isnt doing it for me and Im feeling tired the next day in the gym. Im trying to keep carbs to a minimum which probably hinders this process a bit but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anything I could get in the chemist to help either? that isnt on the banned list of course - otherwise pm ;)

Didn't see this post sorry. ON purposely have high prices on their own website. They're business model is set so that they don't compete with the supplement shops and websites around the country. Search around for a better price. You shouldn't have to pay over €27.99 and you'll probably be able to find it for as low as €24.99.

Oisín

I took it that the price change will have to be followed by retailers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Where is it? I'll to start heading out there!
    Are you talking about a 2lb or 5lbs tub? Cost price for a 5lb is far far too close to 40 quid to be worth the shops while. What shop is it? Insane value for the product if it's true.

UN sports nutrition and discount supplements, the two biggest supplement retailers in the country have it for roughly €54.99 online and €57.99 in store.

Oisín

The Supplement shop in Swords, not sure of the name! I don't buy the stuff myself i just order from the wholesalers but my friend buys his supps there and said it cost him 40 something for a 5lb tub could be close to fifty but definitely not over, think he gets a bit of a discount im not sure though, even so... if its €55...ish in most places and you are getting 1 tub half price 97 quid is diiiirt, you're only saving a tenner! that would put the price of a tub at about 65 quid normally in Elverys!!! They can swing for it!

The Supplement shop in Swords, not sure of the name! I don't buy the stuff myself i just order from the wholesalers but my friend buys his supps there and said it cost him 40 something for a 5lb tub could be close to fifty but definitely not over, think he gets a bit of a discount im not sure though, even so... if its €55...ish in most places and you are getting 1 tub half price 97 quid is diiiirt, you're only saving a tenner! that would put the price of a tub at about 65 quid normally in Elverys!!! They can swing for it!

He must be getting a discount. There just wouldn't be enough margin for someone to sell it below €55, trust me. Elverys is a rip off because they're banking on getting walk in trade/people who don't have a clue who think that €65 quid is decent value.
    I took it that the price change will have to be followed by retailers?

Nope, it'll be staying at €27.99 where I am anyway unless there's another increase.

Oisín

He must be getting a discount. There just wouldn't be enough margin for someone to sell it below €55, trust me. Elverys is a rip off because they're banking on getting walk in trade/people who don't have a clue who think that €65 quid is decent value.

Nope, it'll be staying at €27.99 where I am anyway unless there's another increase.

Oisín

yeah Elverys is a rip off but I've been using them the last couple of month as there's no nutrition shop aaround where I am and I never think to order online in advance. I'll probably buy 2 more 5lb tubs from them during this ''sale'' tbh, stock up and then organise somthing propper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Free 1kg bag of protein if you spend over 60 quid with myprotein.

Code is 1KGFREE.

Response from ON Ireland about price increase for Amino Energy:

Hi Ronan, thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately, the price change that you've noticed is due to the 20% VAT charge that was introduced by the government and also an increase is the price of the raw ingredients. Hope that helps a little. Have a great week, Lucy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Got this from TPW on UKM about my jaffa cake order as they wanted to ring me:

Two bags of whey. w00t!

Well how does it taste? also whats the service like compared to myprotein?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

jugger0 wrote: »

Well how does it taste? also whats the service like compared to myprotein?

Service is excellent.

I should gave jaffa whey either today or tomorrow.

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Response from ON Ireland about price increase for Amino Energy:

Hi Ronan, thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately, the price change that you've noticed is due to the 20% VAT charge that was introduced by the government and also an increase is the price of the raw ingredients. Hope that helps a little. Have a great week, Lucy

well...thats a load of me hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Two tubs for around 82 on hpnutrition with free next day delivery.

97 euro for two tubs is extortionate if one is half price!

EDIT I'm incorrect. Its fifty two a tub or therebouts. Kinetica is 42 though :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

well...thats a load of me hole.

I will second that,they are an over priced robbing shower of good for nothings..

They always fall back on the "raw ingredient" line,,,hell their feckin casein is even more expensive than their whey

Well I've compared other brands and found bigger packs for cheaper,
    examples being
    Xtend 390g - €29.99
    BSN AminoX 434g - €29.99

Well I've compared other brands and found bigger packs for cheaper,
    examples being
    Xtend 390g - €29.99
    BSN AminoX 434g - €29.99

Completely different products to Amino Energy though. No caffeine in either of those two which is primarily why people use amino energy. The amino profile is actually fairly piss in amino energy and its hidden behind a proprietary blend. Xtend is a quality product as is Amino X. They're both still expensive though. If you're buying Xtend, green apple tastes like apple sours, watermelon tastes savage as does orange. All the flavours are delicious actually.

As for it being a 20% increase due to VAT, that came in ages ago, so don't know why they've only just increased it. :confused: If they actually said that the price increase was because of the increase in price for aminos, I'd have believed them. That's what I was told re the price increase a few months ago.

Oisín

• Advertisement

I'll go with xtend next time, I've been curious about watermelon, might take a chance on her

Advertisement