Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

KTRIC wrote: »
    I'm 6ft4', trying to cut at the moment and maintain my muscle. I'm not sure what my body fat is at the moment, I have one of those monitors but I don't think its accurate.

Yeah i prefer the callipers myself! It's hard going from bulking for so long to cutting again isn't it! I've been eating everything in sight for so long now! Heading snowboarding on Friday but will start my cutting diet then when i get back! Abstinence is going to be that hardest part for me, i have been thoroughly enjoying myself the last while ha! Hoping to do a solid 6 weeks on the dry and strict dieting and re-evaluate things then! I'll need a night out after that just to keep me sane!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

djPSB wrote: »
    Supposing i go to the gym 3 days per week.

I take protein shakes 3 times per day on those 3 days.

Am I supposed to take the shakes on the days I don't go to the gym?

Yes because your muscles are still recovering on your rest days and will still need the protein.

How much protein per shake are you consuming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Hey guys, what do ye make of zig-zagging calorie intake, for example yesterday i had like 2,000 kcals but today i'll have 2,500 kcals, as today was my leg day I just find myself needing to eat more...over the course of a week I'll hit my calorie requirements, currently trying to shift the last 5lbs(down 17lbs since new years:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

you know yourself better than anyone,just make sure your trainning sessions are fueled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

You guys are lucky, looks like I'll be bulking for the summer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Oisinjm wrote: »

There should be absolutely no need for you to take 3 protein shakes a day, even on gym days. This is coming from a guy who sells the stuff. What are you eating for the rest of the day??!?

Oisín

I use kinetica protein.

It says to take 2-4 shakes per day. 1-3 scoops.

I take it 3 times per day. 2 scoops.

My diet would be pretty good but don't overload on proteins either.

I find the kinetica protein very thick and doesn't taste great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Charisteas wrote: »

Yes because your muscles are still recovering on your rest days and will still need the protein.

How much protein per shake are you consuming?

Just answered that in the post above.

Ye think it's too much?

djPSB wrote: »
    I use kinetica protein.

It says to take 2-4 shakes per day. 1-3 scoops.

I take it 3 times per day. 2 scoops.

My diet would be pretty good but don't overload on proteins either.

I find the kinetica protein very thick and doesn't taste great.

You must be horsing through that tub :O A lot of tubs are gonna say that to get you to buy more. Start eating and you'll get more essential nutrients and save your stomach turning bad cause of the taste.

If you do want to keep having 3 shakes a day try a cheaper protein like one from Myprotein or bulkpowders.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I know a few gents who get through a 5lb tub per week! Lot of Whey! :)

The Guvnor wrote: »
    I know a few gents who get through a 5lb tub per week! Lot of Whey! :)

Deep, deep, deep pockets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Bit of a n00b when it comes to supplements. What is Maxi Muscle like? The local gym has it so its the easiest option available. I'd be looking at the Promax diet product. Is it any good?

hefferboi wrote: »
    Bit of a n00b when it comes to supplements. What is Maxi Muscle like? The local gym has it so its the easiest option available. I'd be looking at the Promax diet product. Is it any good?

Very expensive and over-rated product. If you can at all order online, do so. You'll get way better products and save yourself money.

Try;

bulkpowders.co.uk

myprotein.com

You'll pick up a 5kg bag for less then 75e easy. It'll last you a lot longer then Maxi Muscle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Hi,

I'm training for a full marathon and will complete several olympic triathlons over the coming months. My main interest in whey is for muscle recovery after long runs/bikes etc.

Is there any particular brand/type of whey available best suited to runners/bikers etc. as opposed to weight lifters or is it all the one?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

anyone know how long myprotein takes to reply to mail? they mailed me saying there was a problem with my payment..i mailed them 2 days ago asking what the problem is. losing out on business if they dont stop this ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Tried Sci-Mx Ultragen whey protein.

Cost 52 euro for a 5lb tub, strawberry cream flavour. Tastes great, mixes well and has added zinc and magnesium (though I take ZMA every night anyway).

Overall I like it.

Also I've been using their preworkout for the last month and it's the best I've ever tried (having tried NOxplode, MP Assault, Amino Energy and a couple of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Lads, have my protein sorted out there delivery yet?

Seem to have, they switched back to DPD as far as I know.

I took a risk and ordered on Thursday evening last week, it arrived Monday afternoon. (Compared to order I made on Jan 1st, which arrived a few weeks later)

They're fine once nothing goes wrong I suppose, but once it does their customer service is pretty awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blarney_boy

Ordered USN [FONT=arial,hevlvetica] [/FONT][FONT=arial,hevlvetica]Pure Protein from Holland and Barrett at the start of the month and I'm still waiting for the goods to be delivered three weeks later!

There's no way to track your order on their website and they're not answering their customer care phone number or responding to mails.

Rightly pissed off as I used my laser card to order to goods so I can't do a charge back :mad:

[/FONT][FONT=arial,hevlvetica][/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Ordered USN [FONT=arial,hevlvetica] [/FONT][FONT=arial,hevlvetica]Pure Protein from Holland and Barrett at the start of the month and I'm still waiting for the goods to be delivered three weeks later!

There's no way to track your order on their website and they're not answering their customer care phone number or responding to mails.

Rightly pissed off as I used my laser card to order to goods so I can't do a charge back :mad:

[/FONT][FONT=arial,hevlvetica][/FONT]

Thanks for giving me another reason to hate Holland & Barrett! In the future, if you want Pure Protein by USN there are much cheaper places to get it. The Holland & Barrett near me have it for €74.99 for a 2kg tub. Most supplement shops I know have it for €49.99. Shop around.

Oisín

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Or order it off discount supplements they have a few deals on USN at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

TIP for using BCAAS:

They taste pretty potent, awful really. i have 20g intra workout.

but when mixed with drop of robinsons lemon and water it covers it up a treat!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Whats the cheapest source of BCAA?

Using the 500g bag from myprotein at the minute but I'm flying through it as I'm doing a lot of fasted training

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Antoniet25

And what would you suggest for iron supplement?

Actually, due to blood deficiency, I was reading on other forum about iron supplement and I found that it has many types but I would like to know which one is good for both blood needs and health as well..?

I'm also afraid of its reaction so please suggest any which is good for health too, it shouldn't have any side effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

conzy wrote: »
    Whats the cheapest source of BCAA?

Using the 500g bag from myprotein at the minute but I'm flying through it as I'm doing a lot of fasted training

Try bulk powders . I don't think The Protein Works will be cheaper as they only sell ibcaa iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Stopped in to discount supps in Terenure today and picked up this offer: http://www.discountsupplements.ie/index.php?route=product/product&manufacturer_id=169&product_id=1323

Been on PHD's synergy all in one the last few months and been pretty happy with results but just fancied something different this time around and decided to give NXT a go.

Also, never taken a preworkout before and was only an extra 8 quid for the TNT so thought I might as well give that a go too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Mac-Chops wrote: »
    Stopped in to discount supps in Terenure today and picked up this offer: http://www.discountsupplements.ie/index.php?route=product/product&manufacturer_id=169&product_id=1323

Been on PHD's synergy all in one the last few months and been pretty happy with results but just fancied something different this time around and decided to give NXT a go.

Also, never taken a preworkout before and was only an extra 8 quid for the TNT so thought I might as well give that a go too!

Been looking at trying that myself this week, Can't really complain with a price like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

anything I can take to increase the quality of my sleep? getting 8 hours in at least but still wrecked all the time

srumball wrote: »
    anything I can take to increase the quality of my sleep? getting 8 hours in at least but still wrecked all the time

Could the lack of energy be down to a poor diet? I know when I have a poor diet I suffer with energy big time even though I sleep solid through the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

srumball wrote: »

ZMA is good for helping with a decent nights sleep in so far as once you get asleep it will help to put you in a deeper sleep but it wont help you fall asleep!! I also find that it gives me vivid dreams but i dont mind so much as i kind of like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭KAZ0077

Hi All,
    I hope I am not hijacking the thread, but I am training to lose weight and can only train after work 5.30-7pm 3-4 nights a week.
    I am wondering if there would be any "low cal" or reduced cal whey protein I could take after training.
    Currently after the gym I am quite hungry (usually have lunch about 1.30pm) and would like to take a shake after my workout as part of a light meal in the evening and to curb hunger and then have a very small meal at home instead of coming home after the gym and eating rings around myself.....
    Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

• Advertisement

Guys, anyone got recommendations for a good pre-workout? Pretty fed up of the BA tingles now, it's making me feel panicy when they come bad.

Advertisement