Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭rory16

john_cappa wrote: »
    Hi mate. What you need to do it alot of reading. You need to educate yourself on supplementation and nutrition. No one can answer your question but yourself really and if anyone tries to answer it then they are wrong.

The two products you are comparing are very different.

One is an all in one with a blend of proteins, carbs, with hmb and creapure and the other is a pure whey with creatine seperate.

You need to assess your diet as a whole. No one part will make or break it. If you have been using Hurricane xs then ask yourself why? If i stop using it (switch to just whey) then you are getting less carbs per day and what effect this will have on progress (assuming all other things stay equal)? How much protein carbs per day etc do I need?

Stickies above offer info.

Perfect, I'll look into that! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Guys if you're in Tipp town I highly recommend going into the new vitamin shop. Fantastic place, great deals and the man running it knows his stuff. Bought SAW pre-workout in there today and got a free pair of gloves. Paid 29.95 for the 200g pot and on the trec website it is 25pounds down from 50 something.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with the store in anyway.

Guys if you're in Tipp town I highly recommend going into the new vitamin shop. Fantastic place, great deals and the man running it knows his stuff. Bought SAW pre-workout in there today and got a free pair of gloves. Paid 29.95 for the 200g pot and on the trec website it is 25pounds down from 50 something.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with the store in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 shaneoreillyo

What post workout food is best straight after to spike insulin so your body can then focus on protein intake? I've been using fruit and Jaffa cakes. Not sure if that's what I need or not. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

What post workout food is best straight after to spike insulin so your body can then focus on protein intake? I've been using fruit and Jaffa cakes. Not sure if that's what I need or not. Thanks.

I throw 30/40g of dextrose(glucose) sugar into my PWO shake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Is this necessary? After my workout I drink a protein shake but if it's a case that I should be introducing some form of carbs as well I'll have to do something like you do.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Is this necessary? After my workout I drink a protein shake but if it's a case that I should be introducing some form of carbs as well I'll have to do something like you do.

I just do it for the sake of convenience, its a quick way to cause an insulin spike and help shuttle all the aminos from your protein around the body! I'm sure a piece of fruit like an apple or an orange would probably do the same thing though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Does the Dextrose ever make you sick when you drink it after heavy deads or squat session?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

So it's a good idea to get some sort of sugar into your system straight after a workout? I tend to avoid eating anything sugary (I have an apple & orange each day) on my workout days but if it would aid my recovery I'll start including it.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Anyone here ever take ZMA tablets? Iv started taking them this week and no amazing difference so far but Im willing to give it a bit of time to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Hey guys I just started crossfit about a month ago,absolutely love it . The thing is I am 5'11 and 186 pounds with a bit of a belly that is persistent as hell.

My macros read like this on an average week, Pro 75 g Carbs 180 Fats 130.

Pretty much all clean eating with little or no junk. I want to lose that belly whilst gaining muscle,is that even possible? I am 47 and dont have very strong arms, dont laugh but I can only bench about 50kgs right now. So I would like to get stronger obviously.

I don't even know if I am actually getting enough calories in at about 2200 per day but I want a deficit in there to drop the weight. The problem is my weight has been around the same for months now even before I started the crossfit and it is starting to become very frustrating. On one habd I know I need moree protein but on the other I dont want to gain weight and would rather lose a bit before I go on the protein shokes. Any suggestions? Maybe I should take a chance but I dont know what to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

youtube! wrote: »
    Hey guys I just started crossfit about a month ago,absolutely love it . The thing is I am 5'11 and 186 pounds with a bit of a belly that is persistent as hell.

My macros read like this on an average week, Pro 75 g Carbs 180 Fats 130.

Pretty much all clean eating with little or no junk. I want to lose that belly whilst gaining muscle,is that even possible? I am 47 and dont have very strong arms, dont laugh but I can only bench about 50kgs right now. So I would like to get stronger obviously.

I don't even know if I am actually getting enough calories in at about 2200 per day but I want a deficit in there to drop the weight. The problem is my weight has been around the same for months now even before I started the crossfit and it is starting to become very frustrating. On one habd I know I need moree protein but on the other I dont want to gain weight and would rather lose a bit before I go on the protein shokes. Any suggestions? Maybe I should take a chance but I dont know what to get.

Have a read of the stickies there, Protein shakes won't make you gain weight.
    Also what does clean eating mean to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Zombienosh wrote: »

Have a read of the stickies there, Protein shakes won't make you gain weight.
    Also what does clean eating mean to you?

Clean eating is very healthy diet basically.

Little or no sugar no bread no pasta no rice. Lots of whole foods fruit and veg. Lean meats nuts eggs avocado , stir fry in coconut oil. Steel cut oats are about my only carbs besides the fruit and veg . I want a supplement to increase my protein but also want perhaps a creatine to help with recovery. I just dunno which ones to get. I have heard to make sure the protein is isolate . Just looking for a little advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Does anybody find that the Kinetica protein is hard to mix, thick, and hard to drink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Supposing i go to the gym 3 days per week.

I take protein shakes 3 times per day on those 3 days.

Am I supposed to take the shakes on the days I don't go to the gym?

djPSB wrote: »

Well, that depends. Are you hitting your protein targets on the days you're not training by just eating food?

Edit; Why are you taking 3 shakes a day?

Lads, have my protein sorted out there delivery yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

djPSB wrote: »

There should be absolutely no need for you to take 3 protein shakes a day, even on gym days. This is coming from a guy who sells the stuff. What are you eating for the rest of the day??!?

Oisín

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Three shakes aren't huge. Could be just three scoops. Some people like a pre and post workout shake.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GoldCobra

3 shakes isn't that much, assuming they're single scoops.
    I'd have one with breakfast, one PWO and one before bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Oisinjm wrote: »
    There should be absolutely no need for you to take 3 protein shakes a day, even on gym days. This is coming from a guy who sells the stuff. What are you eating for the rest of the day??!?

Oisín

What do you recommend as a daily intake of protein ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

Oisinjm wrote: »
    There should be absolutely no need for you to take 3 protein shakes a day, even on gym days.
    Oisín

There's no reason why he shouldn't.
    Just bear in mind that they're not magic OP - protein is protein whether it's 'real' food or powder form.

KTRIC wrote: »
    What do you recommend as a daily intake of protein ?

1 gram per pound of bodyweight! 1.5g - 2g if you are looking to build some muscle

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GoldCobra

1 gram per pound of bodyweight! 1.5g - 2g if you are looking to build some muscle

So going by that a 200 pound male needs to consume 400g of protein? which is near impossible I'd say without a load of shakes.

I think that amount of protein is too much btw.

GoldCobra wrote: »
    So going by that a 200 pound male needs to consume 400g of protein? which is near impossible I'd say without a load of shakes.

I think that amount of protein is too much btw.

There's nothing wrong with taking shakes if you can't get in enough protein through normal food! I take 1 and half scoops either in my porridge for breakfast or in a shake, then have 2 scoops in my PWO shake and then a scoop with some milk before bed on top of all my food! Of which i eat a lot!

I'm 220 pounds and to be honest I dont get anywhere close to that amount of protein, usually about 280 - 300 grams per day even with a couple of shakes.

I'm 220 pounds and to be honest I dont get anywhere close to that amount of protein, usually about 280 - 300 grams per day even with a couple of shakes.

Yeah but are you a lean 220 or would you be carrying a bit of weight! The way i always structure my diet (and this is just what works for me, im no expert on nutrition i just read a lot) is to eat for my ideal weight! So if like at the moment i am carrying a bit of fat, as i have been bulking up since last October, and im now hoping to get down to a lean 13 stone there or thereabouts (im currently closer to 14) i will tailor my diet for someone who is about 180lbs.

i will aim for minimum for 360 but will try hit 400 plus!! If you have a decent whey isolate where your getting near 30g of protein in a scoop its doable! Just expensive!! When bulking i find its easier though as i get a good weight gainer which has about 40/50g protein per serving!

Yeah but are you a lean 220 or would you be carrying a bit of weight! The way i always structure my diet (and this is just what works for me, im no expert on nutrition i just read a lot) is to eat for my ideal weight! So if like at the moment i am carrying a bit of fat, as i have been bulking up since last October, and im now hoping to get down to a lean 13 stone there or thereabouts (im currently closer to 14) i will tailor my diet for someone who is about 180lbs.

i will aim for minimum for 360 but will try hit 400 plus!! If you have a decent whey isolate where your getting near 30g of protein in a scoop its doable! Just expensive!! When bulking i find its easier though as i get a good weight gainer which has about 40/50g protein per serving!

I'm fairly lean.

I'm fairly lean.

You must be a big lad so! a lean 220! fair play! I eat like a horse to try and hit my macros and still find it hard to put on much size these days! if i can get to 180lbs at about 7/8% bodyfat this summer ill be chuffed!

• Advertisement

You must be a big lad so! a lean 220! fair play! I eat like a horse to try and hit my macros and still find it hard to put on much size these days! if i can get to 180lbs at about 7/8% bodyfat this summer ill be chuffed!

I'm 6ft4', trying to cut at the moment and maintain my muscle. I'm not sure what my body fat is at the moment, I have one of those monitors but I don't think its accurate.

Advertisement