Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I'm going to buy on Amazon.co.uk now.

I have seen recommendations on boards that it is best to purchase an Amazon gift card with your Revolut card & then use the gift card to make your purchase. I believe this ensures that Amazon don't block funds on your card until the transaction is cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭WildIreland

NIMAN wrote: »
    I installed Revolut app and set up an account maybe 9 or so months ago.

I used it to pay someone on here for a Spotify account, and nothing else until yesterday, when I transferred some money to a family member.

However I got 4 or 5 text messages, supposedly from Revolut, since I joined saying there was suspicious activities and a link. I would be very suspicious of these links anyway and never clicked on them. I would tend to go to my app and nothing was showing up there.

I got another one yesterday, it came up on my messages as 622001. The text read

Revolut: We have detected an unusual transaction from a different device, if this was not you please visit revolutgb.support-online.net

Does anyone know if there are genuine or phishing? Surely if they are genuine there should be a message sent within the app to my account?

That link is not a revolut URL -- it's just a subdomain of the primary domain support-online.net, almost certainly nothing to do with revolut.

If you own a domain you can create any subdomain you like. For example, if I felt like it I could create revolut.irelandswildlife.com in about a minute.

support-online.net gives a BIG RED SECURITY WARNING as an untrusted site in Chrome.

It's a "Phishing" attempt -- steer well clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Gooser14 wrote: »
    I have seen recommendations on boards that it is best to purchase an Amazon gift card with your Revolut card & then use the gift card to make your purchase. I believe this ensures that Amazon don't block funds on your card until the transaction is cleared.

This is what I do when purchasing from Amazon, particularly when I have lots of small purchases from marketplace sellers. A couple of times my card was frozen due to being bombarded simultaneously with several small amounts as a fraud protection.

It may seem onerous, but it takes a matter of minutes only and leaves the rest of my Revolut account less messy for other purchases. YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Some people say this but I only ever have just enough for my purchase on the card, buy stuff from amazon all the time, and never have had an issue. Seems to only affect some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 SilverangelA5

Thinking of signing up as I'll be travelling to uk soon.

How long does it take from downloading and signing up in the app to be fully set up and able to access your account?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Thinking of signing up as I'll be travelling to uk soon.

How long does it take from downloading and signing up in the app to be fully set up and able to access your account?

Try it, you'll be up an running in minutes.

You'll need to upload a photo of your passport to verify your identity.

You can use your virtual Revolut card online immediately.

If you need a physical card it will take a week or two to receive one and you'll have to pay for delivery unless you a) wait a few weeks for them to offer you free delivery or b) you get a referal link for a free card before signing up - there are plenty about ..PM me if you are interested in receiving €6 credit and free card delivery.

In the meantime if you have a modern iphone or android phone you can setup Apple pay or Google pay and use your phone with Revolut to pay in shop terminals immediately and before ordering and/or receiving a physical card.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Can you withdraw FX cash up to the value of €200 without fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Yes you can indeed

12c charge if in Ireland from atms though, Governments idea

• Registered Users Posts: 16 muzim

Couple of questions:

If using Revolut to withdraw cash, I presume I just let Revolut convert and not opt for the ATM conversion?

If you top up using a credit card (KBC, for example), is this now being treated as a cash advance or is it still recorded as a purchase?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Would you not convert in the app,first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Gael23 wrote: »
    Would you not convert in the app,first?

In most places the atm will pick the card up as a foreign card and offer the conversion

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Just watch some ATM's with withdrawal fees displayed, these can't be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Mr.S wrote: »
    Good point, and these ATMs that AIB just sold off around Ireland will mean charges for Revolut cards because they aren’t Irish.

Yes I can't see a reason why those sold off here won't be all €3 a go to make a withdrawal, there's no protection in any legislation to prevent it.

anyone else get an ID verification request off them?

annoying as im in work and dont have my passport on me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

anyone else get an ID verification request off them?

annoying as im in work and dont have my passport on me

Did it last year when Brexit neared a crash out,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Mr.S wrote: »
    If you are charged at local currency, Revolut will handle the conversation on your account depending on what currencies you hold, so no need to convert in-app before you withdraw.

Thats true but during the weekend its more expensive if Revolut does the conversion for you. If you know you need sterling during the weekend you should transfer it in app before friday afternoon. At least that was the case last time i looked as Revolut added a safety factor to FX conversions during the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

More out of curiosity I signed up to the revolut trading and I gave my PPS details and digitally signed all the declarations .

Like il put a few dollars in the account and have a scout and google some stuff but does it have any bearing on my tax for the year as per the revenue.

Say I invest 100e and stock rises, I sell for lets say 130e , that 30e profit is then taxed? Then appears on my p21?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Hi all anyone have the physical card just stop working, this has happened me twice once for no reason and then this week when I added it to Google pay as soon as Google pay put the temporary hold on, it stopped working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

BKWDR wrote: »
    More out of curiosity I signed up to the revolut trading and I gave my PPS details and digitally signed all the declarations .

Like il put a few dollars in the account and have a scout and google some stuff but does it have any bearing on my tax for the year as per the revenue.

Say I invest 100e and stock rises, I sell for lets say 130e , that 30e profit is then taxed? Then appears on my p21?

My initial $20 investment is tanking at the momment from tha coronavirus. Was making a 25% profit at one stage. All I've learned is I'm not cut out for this trading lark. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

jakdublin wrote: »
    My initial $20 investment is tanking at the momment from tha coronavirus. Was making a 25% profit at one stage. All I've learned is I'm not cut out for this trading lark. :D

Yeah think its across the board! Think i will just close the trading account...a slippery slope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

heading to Prague this weekend, just wondering what's the best way to use Revolut. When adding money should I add EUR or CZK, or does it matter?

Any tips then for when I'm there.

podge018 wrote: »
    heading to Prague this weekend, just wondering what's the best way to use Revolut. When adding money should I add EUR or CZK, or does it matter?

Any tips then for when I'm there.

top up Euro,

if going over the weekend it would be best to convert to CZK before you go to avoiid the weekend mark up on transactions

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭tmh106

Hi all.

I'm thinking of getting a Revolut card for travel abroad. I know from reading this thread that there is a €200 limit on ATM withdrawals after which 2% charge applies. Can I avoid this charge if I have money lodged into my Revolut account?

The reason I'm asking is I am travelling to Mexico soon and have read that lots of smaller places there only take cash. So I think I may exceed the €200 limit while there.

Any tips for how I should use Revolut in Mexico?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

tmh106 wrote: »
    Hi all.

I'm thinking of getting a Revolut card for travel abroad. I know from reading this thread that there is a €200 limit on ATM withdrawals after which 2% charge applies. Can I avoid this charge if I have money lodged into my Revolut account?

The reason I'm asking is I am travelling to Mexico soon and have read that lots of smaller places there only take cash. So I think I may exceed the €200 limit while there.

Thanks.

the only way to avoid the charge is to subscribe to their premium service (€400 limit) or metal serivce (€600 limit)

you can canel afterwords but make sure you read the terms and conditions in regards to cancelling

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

tmh106 wrote: »
    Hi all.

Thanks.

Been to mexico, bring cash!! ATMs there charge massive FX or general charges.

I am a big fan of revolut but would not rely on a card out there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Revolut isn't a credit card so the only way to use it is to have it in credit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭greenore

Can someone explain these weekend mark up exchange rates compared to another time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Markets closed over the weekend so it's left at a higher rate for any exchanging goin on to stop em losing dollas... .5% to 1%

I know rates can change a lot, but generally speaking in my experience exchange rate is usually quite high on Friday's and low enough on Mondays or Tuesdays. Unless it's massive amounts there's never that much difference exchanging over the weekend really.

Friday at midnight to Sunday midnight it doesn't change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Just a quick query. I've added my AIB credit card to my revolut account but it comes up as irish nationwide building society. Is this normal? I thought they went bust years ago?

Advertisement