Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options
«134567215

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_


    Still waiting on my failed pending transaction to revert. Hopefully it'll be back by monday.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭irishgeo


    An FAQ post would be good to answer some of the simple questions while this new thread is new


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge


    Question 1 : Can I use this as my main bank?

    Answer 1: Well it’s complicated...

    :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox


    They seem to be having problems with payments this morning.
    I opened the app and theres a banner saying they are having issues with all payments.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime


    adox wrote: »
    They seem to be having problems with payments this morning.
    I opened the app and theres a banner saying they are having issues with all payments.

    Saw the same myself been using it on Gpay no issues however.

    Might not be affecting everyone. But it didn't say which providers was giving trouble. Possibly different for visa and MasterCard ?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BOBIDGE


    Quick question - probably asked a lot.

    I am looking to buy £1,200. Is it best to exchange here (An Post) or take out in Edinburgh.

    I need the money all at once. The atm limit may not be enough

    Just cannot find a definite answer. Thanks!


  • Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    I couldn’t get something paid with it directly or via paypal yesterday.


  • Administrators Posts: 53,632 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec


    Had a declined payment yesterday morning as well, just thought it was yet another payment that hadn't gone through properly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭RexHamilton


    When people say they've had a declined payment, is that a missed direct debit or is the card being declined in a shop?

    I've just signed up. I get paid into my BoI account and was thinking of using Revolut as like a spending account. Leaving money in Bank of Ireland for direct debits and the like and transferring a certain balance to Revolut and having that as my 'spending money' for the month. I'm poor at budgeting, so was going to try this as a tactic to force me to keep an eye on my budgeting and my spending.

    I also travel a bit so the currency exchange is obviously very handy.

    But if the cards are getting rejected or being declined for every day use, that puts a bit of a spanner in the works for my plan.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow


    was thinking of using Revolut as like a spending account

    This is exactly how I use Revolut every single day. Never have a problem, to be honest.

    /M


  • Advertisement
  • Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    When people say they've had a declined payment, is that a missed direct debit or is the card being declined in a shop?

    I've just signed up. I get paid into my BoI account and was thinking of using Revolut as like a spending account. Leaving money in Bank of Ireland for direct debits and the like and transferring a certain balance to Revolut and having that as my 'spending money' for the month. I'm poor at budgeting, so was going to try this as a tactic to force me to keep an eye on my budgeting and my spending.

    I also travel a bit so the currency exchange is obviously very handy.

    But if the cards are getting rejected or being declined for every day use, that puts a bit of a spanner in the works for my plan.

    Mine was an attempted top-up on DPD.


  • Administrators Posts: 53,632 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec


    When people say they've had a declined payment, is that a missed direct debit or is the card being declined in a shop?

    I've just signed up. I get paid into my BoI account and was thinking of using Revolut as like a spending account. Leaving money in Bank of Ireland for direct debits and the like and transferring a certain balance to Revolut and having that as my 'spending money' for the month. I'm poor at budgeting, so was going to try this as a tactic to force me to keep an eye on my budgeting and my spending.

    I also travel a bit so the currency exchange is obviously very handy.

    But if the cards are getting rejected or being declined for every day use, that puts a bit of a spanner in the works for my plan.

    In my case, the payment appears to go through at the time, but when you open the app later it says declined. It has happened a few times. Other times it will sit as pending for ages, and then suddenly declined.

    Only once has it ever actually come up as declined in the shop.

    I just use it for spending, I don't bother with direct debits or anything like that. I don't trust it for those yet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR


    Marlow wrote: »
    This is exactly how I use Revolut every single day. Never have a problem, to be honest.

    /M

    Me also, get paid into Ulsterbank. Transfer over 'allowance' for the 2 weeks and work off that for all fiddly purchases contactless / lunch / online and never had a problem with it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow


    awec wrote: »
    In my case, the payment appears to go through at the time, but when you open the app later it says declined. It has happened a few times. Other times it will sit as pending for ages, and then suddenly declined.

    Only once has it ever actually come up as declined in the shop.

    I just use it for spending, I don't bother with direct debits or anything like that. I don't trust it for those yet.

    Have you checked into things like location security enabled ?

    I have had instances like this, where a shop for example registered the terminal to their headquarters and i am obviously miles from that. Holland and Barretts are bad for that.

    But that's not really Revoluts fault. Once you disable the location security, it goes through. So it's well worth checking if it's because you're security settings prevented the payment from being processed.

    /M


  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭browne_rob5


    awec wrote: »
    In my case, the payment appears to go through at the time, but when you open the app later it says declined. It has happened a few times. Other times it will sit as pending for ages, and then suddenly declined.

    Only once has it ever actually come up as declined in the shop.

    I just use it for spending, I don't bother with direct debits or anything like that. I don't trust it for those yet.

    Does the retailer lose out if the payment comes up as declined in the app later and you have already left with your goods?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing


    Latest UI / UX update to the APP is terrible. slide between accounts is replaced by drop down which requires more steps

    Also cannot easily see the value of crypto accounts in local currency. This is terrible. I hope they change this back or fix it.


  • Administrators Posts: 53,632 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec


    Marlow wrote: »
    Have you checked into things like location security enabled ?

    I have had instances like this, where a shop for example registered the terminal to their headquarters and i am obviously miles from that. Holland and Barretts are bad for that.

    But that's not really Revoluts fault. Once you disable the location security, it goes through. So it's well worth checking if it's because you're security settings prevented the payment from being processed.

    /M

    Yea it's not that. Yesterday a payment in my work canteen eventually was declined, I've made hundreds of payments there the past few weeks no bother.
    Does the retailer lose out if the payment comes up as declined in the app later and you have already left with your goods?

    Yep.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern


    I've been using Revolut for a good while, previously verified using driving license but now they are asking me to verify again and will only accept passport.
    My passport is out of date so they won't accept it and I'm not spending €75 on a new passport just for Revolut. However they've now blocked my cards and all function on the account so I can't withdraw the money still in there. Their support are useless and will lie just to get rid of you.
    So just a warning to everyone, don't leave money sitting in Revolut.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage


    Amazing how many people dont seem to have a valid in date passport

    (not a dig at anyone just an observation)


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭irishgeo


    mcgovern wrote: »
    I've been using Revolut for a good while, previously verified using driving license but now they are asking me to verify again and will only accept passport.
    My passport is out of date so they won't accept it and I'm not spending €75 on a new passport just for Revolut. However they've now blocked my cards and all function on the account so I can't withdraw the money still in there. Their support are useless and will lie just to get rid of you.
    So just a warning to everyone, don't leave money sitting in Revolut.

    They have to comply with money laundering legislation.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5


    mcgovern wrote: »
    I've been using Revolut for a good while, previously verified using driving license but now they are asking me to verify again and will only accept passport.
    My passport is out of date so they won't accept it and I'm not spending €75 on a new passport just for Revolut. However they've now blocked my cards and all function on the account so I can't withdraw the money still in there. Their support are useless and will lie just to get rid of you.
    So just a warning to everyone, don't leave money sitting in Revolut.

    Thanks for the warning - good to note, especially for those without a passport.

    However they have been hounding people to verify with a Passport for over a year now - I suppose the day of blocking the account was bound to come.

    If they consider the account as not verified then they are at risk of falling foul of compliance and money laundering regulations. Might be worth asking in their chat how you go about closing the account or withdrawing funds and freezing account until you are in a position to re-verify using a passport.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern


    msmx5 wrote: »
    Thanks for the warning - good to note, especially for those without a passport.

    However they have been hounding people to verify with a Passport for over a year now - I suppose the day of blocking the account was bound to come.

    If they consider the account as not verified then they are at risk of falling foul of compliance and money laundering regulations. Might be worth asking in their chat how you go about closing the account or withdrawing funds and freezing account until you are in a position to re-verify using a passport.

    Their answer is that the money is still in the account and when I re-verify I can have access to my funds again. No other method possible. Interestingly my account only got blocked after contacting them to see why they wouldn't accept my ID (didn't realise passport had expired and they don't accept public service card).


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5


    I'm seeing an' activate card' banner in the cards section of the app

    It usually says freeze/unfreeze there, what does that mean?

    I changed phone today would that cause it


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR


    Anyone any reason why Google pay keeps removing the contactless ability of my cards. Revolut and ulsterbank

    I'm constantly having to go in and reverify like they are being wiped

    Would clearing memory do it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 81,955 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M


    When your passport runs out will they seek a scan/copy of the new passport and suspend your account from expiry date?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5


    What happens if you're account is suspended, can u transfer the money out?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ


    When your passport runs out will they seek a scan/copy of the new passport and suspend your account from expiry date?

    I wouldn’t imagine they would, the passport is just there to confirm your identity. Unless you identity changes after it expires I can’t see any issue with it :P

    Saying that, I don’t understand why they don’t accept expired passports in the first place. Same thing as a new one, I never understood the issue places have with excepting them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit


    Berserker5 wrote: »
    What happens if you're account is suspended, can u transfer the money out?


    My passport (that I used) expired years ago, a few weeks after I signed up.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage


    DubDJ wrote: »
    I wouldn’t imagine they would, the passport is just there to confirm your identity. Unless you identity changes after it expires I can’t see any issue with it :P

    Saying that, I don’t understand why they don’t accept expired passports in the first place. Same thing as a new one, I never understood the issue places have with excepting them.

    Because they are expired and no longer a valid document :confused:


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5


    Berserker5 wrote: »
    I'm seeing an' activate card' banner in the cards section of the app

    It usually says freeze/unfreeze there, what does that mean?

    I changed phone today would that cause it

    ? Anyone


Advertisement