Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games have you been playing lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Omikron1

Kiith wrote: »
    Pillars of Eternity and Shadow of Morder at the moment. Shadow of Mordor is good, but after playing Arkham Knight, the combat system doesn't feel as good as it would have if i'd played it before. Pillars is good as well, though i'm not sold on the story yet. Needs to kick up a notch or i fear i may loose interest.

Will be away for two weeks from tomorrow, so no gaming for me for a while :(

I feel the same way about Pillars. Kind of hit a slump about half way through and haven't gone back to it. I'm telling myself that I'll try picking it up again when patch 2.0 hits....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

finally giving scholar of the first sin a proper shake. after several hundred hours in ds2 i was not a fan of the changes i encountered my first attempt through sofs and I only put 20 hours into it since release. i seem to be in more of a charitable mindset lately

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Kiith wrote: »
    Pillars is good as well, though i'm not sold on the story yet. Needs to kick up a notch or i fear i may loose interest.

Prepare to be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

The same happened me as it did with Omikron1 :/ so much detail, and such a dull tale surrounding it.

Anyway, back on topic i've been playing darkest dungeon, company of heroes 2 co-op versus AI, and skyrim (again)

is pillars worth getting? i was holding off for a while as it was obviously going to be quite buggy initially but i've seen quite a few people who were all gung-ho about it at first and are now fairly lukewarm towards it.

• Advertisement

Gameplay is great fun; story is dense, wordy, pretentious, repetitive, and boring.

poo

i never played those style rpgs back in the day and every time i've tried to play planescape i've run into a game breaking bug that has forced me out so I was hoping pillars would really suck me in world/lore wise while i got used to the gameplay

maybe ill just try planescape again. or fallout, in anticipation of a completely different game with the same name coming out later in the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Planescape is one of the best RPGs ever, the storyline is incredible!

yeah i really enjoyed what i saw of it but the last time... i forget exactly what happened, i got trapped in some building with some monster that was soooo much higher level than I was and the exit was bugged out

unfortunately in the interim i have spoiled the story on myself :(

Well, that was silly.

What they did with Pillars was to try and emulate that sort of story but with writers with half the talent, so there was long dialogue and intellectual concepts, but it was an amateurish and ham-fisted imitation.

Fingers crossed for Tides of Numenera!

• Advertisement

it was silly

I couldn't understand the combat in Planescape:Torment for the life of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Got 4 games today in the post.

Xbox One
    Dying Light
    Sleeping Dogs

PS4
    Samurai Warriors 4
    God of War 3

Fired on Dying Light and I must say, it looks absolutely amazing. Looking forward to see what more the game has to offer as I've only scratched the surface

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

world of warships

pew pew

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Battlefield 4 [PC]

I play two or three rounds a night sometimes more. Brilliant game but I do not like how you can die while behind cover (wall etc..) I actually am starting to prefer hardcore mode as it is easier to kill people as I use a xbox controller and it is hard to track and shoot someone running past you a good distance away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Shadow of Mordor. It's good fun if a little repetitive. I like hiding out and firing arrows at the caragor cages and watching the orcs go mental. Looks absolutely great as well.

Wolfenstein. Also good fun. A real old school FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Playing Metro Last Light at the minute, not finding it anywhere near as good as 2033. Not sure what I don't like about it, the atmosphere isn't there and the battles aren't as tense for one. The environments are narrower and duller in general, and Pavel is no replacement for Bourbon.

Might do a Hardcore Ranger run but I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

finally got round to spec ops the line, really enjoyed it, anybody who still has that in their backlog should definately bump it towards the top

Playing Metro Last Light at the minute, not finding it anywhere near as good as 2033. Not sure what I don't like about it, the atmosphere isn't there and the battles aren't as tense for one. The environments are narrower and duller in general, and Pavel is no replacement for Bourbon.

Might do a Hardcore Ranger run but I doubt it

i was the same. i dont think i even finished last light. i got to very near the end then just had a quick google to see how far from it I was. was close enough that i just didn't bother playing any further.

Playing Metro Last Light at the minute, not finding it anywhere near as good as 2033. t
    strelok wrote: »
    i was the same. i dont think i even finished last light. i got to very near the end then just had a quick google to see how far from it I was. was close enough that i just didn't bother playing any further.

I feel that way about 2033. I am roughly 1/2 way through and haven't touched the game in a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I feel that way about 2033. I am roughly 1/2 way through and haven't touched the game in a few months.

Think I beat 2033 four times in a week :o

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    How is Remember me?

So, I promised I'd get back to you once I was a bit more into it. Now, only a few hours in, I'm at the mechanical boss just after the minefield so there's still loads more, but honestly? It's good, but not great. What really drew me to the game was the concept and setting, I'm a bit of a sucker for dystopian sci-fi and it really fits the bill, there's lots of references to Ghost in the Shell or Philip K. Dick. The developers are obviously big anime fans, and it's all very Johnny Mnemonic via Japan, in future Paris.

The problem is that while there's this amazing concept and great setting, it's not really fully utilized. The level design is probably my biggest criticism, so far it's basically running down corridors, alleyways and tunnels, with some larger areas, broken up by some climbing section every now and then. There's no exploration, it feels completely on rails, there's a lot of sections where it looks like it could open up into a bigger area but your way is blocked by something and you're corralled into another side-street or alleyway. The futuristic city is just a facade. There are shop fronts but you can never enter them, it just feels like a series of levels and never like a proper city.

It's good, but never really reaches greatness. I think it's actually a game that's crying out for a sequel with a more open world level design.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Battlefield 4 [PC]

I actually am starting to prefer hardcore mode as it is easier to kill people as I use a xbox controller and it is hard to track and shoot someone running past you a good distance away.

you use a controller on pc?

Skerries wrote: »
    you use a controller on pc?

Yes I once got a gaming mouse and everything but I cannot use the keyboard. Tried for about 10 mins and went back to controller. I know there is a learning curve but years of playing consoles makes a controller more natural for me. I still do ok on Battlefield 4 with the controller come out in the middle most times but some matches I might get only 1 or 2 kills but that is times I haven't played for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

^ Give it more than 10 mins. Was gaming on console me whole life but adjusted fine to KB/M and now I cannot stand gamepads for FPS games.

On topic though, I've been playing Terraria, Terraria and more Terraria. I can't get enough of it now, so glad I picked it up. The price:content ratio is out of this world and it's even funner now that I had a go online with a boardsie.

I also played a little bit more Rise of Incarnates but didn't last long and my partner got tired of me it seems... I think he thinks I'm crap :P

Actually booted up Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition again today despite leaving it a bad review. Just jumped into Bloody Palace and managed to S rank it with Trish so yay for that.

Need to get back to The Cat Lady but I only play that when I know a friend of mine wants to watch me play it via streaming. Doesn't feel the same without them around during the comfy game.

Killing Floor 2 & H1Z1

So, between some more Payday 2 (Nope, still haven't gotten bored ot it yet somehow) I've been playing two games that I'd picked up during the Steam sale but hadn't given much time to yet.

The first was The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, which was absolutely gorgeous to look at and very atmospheric. I seriously mean gorgeous too, very few games look this amazing. After my second time booting it up, it became apparent why so many other people found the autosave system so downright frustrating. So I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing, I know the game said that there wasn't going to be any hand-holding, and I definitely liked exploring on my own and trying to figure out what's going on, but it got late and I had to finish up. When I played it again the next day and clicked continue, I found myself right back at the very start again, and I was just like come on! F*ck! So I had to look up a guide to see what happened and apparently the game only saves once you've solved one of the mysteries, and discovered there was a whole section with a mystery I had just walked right past in the beginning, so I just followed the guide for a bit just so the game would save my progress. That kinda soured me on the experience a bit, so I think I'll come back to that one when I'm less frustrated with it.

Most of yesterday's game time was spent playing Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. As hyped as I am about The Phantom Pain, I actually didn't give GZ that much of a go yet, my first attempt was just mucking about and trying to get used to the controls, then finding an anti aircraft gun and sitting in it and blasting everything in sight, because lol stealth? So yesterday was just all about MGS and oh my god did I have so much fun. I snook up on the first guard tower and choked out the guard, I picked him up and then fumbling with the controls I managed to hurl him off the tower, he seemed to wake up mid-fall and scream before hitting the ground with a thud that killed him. I laughed way, way too much at this. So I ran to retrieve the body before anyone saw it and went to hide it somewhere, so I chucked it into the sea. Then I went snuck up on another guard and knocked him out, dragging him back to the start of the game and chucked him in the sea to see if he too would scream. He did. I laughed probably harder than the first time when I did it by accident. Then I spent probably the next hour doing the exact same thing, knocking out guards, ran with them back to the start, chuck, scream, splash... I think there's something wrong with me, but I genuinely had so, so much fun.

Seriously hyped for The Phantom Pain now! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Playing bioshock at the minute. Completed it a few times on xbox but really enjoying it again on pc and it's useful to adjust to keyboard and mouse with a game I'm already fairly comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,162 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yes I once got a gaming mouse and everything but I cannot use the keyboard. Tried for about 10 mins and went back to controller. I know there is a learning curve but years of playing consoles makes a controller more natural for me. I still do ok on Battlefield 4 with the controller come out in the middle most times but some matches I might get only 1 or 2 kills but that is times I haven't played for a while.

You're putting yourself at a huge disadvantage using a controller. But if that's what you're happy with then fire away I suppose but if I was you id put a bit more time into using the KB and mouse. Controller would be better for flying choppers alright though.

Anyone else play Arma 3? I've been playing the battle royale mod loads lately. I haven't won a round yet though, best I've done is top 3. It's seriously tense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Playing Dead Island at the moment and so far I'm loving it. Have to get more into it but what a great game.

Advertisement