Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What games have you been playing lately?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Installed Brutal Legend to keep me occupied till the new DLC for Witcher 3 is released. Its surprisingly enjoyable though im finding the controls a bit fiddly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Ah, my girlfriend LOVES Brutal Legend, she kept trying to get me to get it but I was all like nah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

FTL Is kicking my arse at the moment. Struggling very badly with the
    Zolton Adjudicator
    ship. It has so many weakness, and thus far I'm not identifying, or living long enough to find, a strategy that takes advantages of the ships' er uniqueness. The layout is awful if you have boarders. The default weapons are awful. As there's only one pathway by which oxygen can be vented dealing with fires often requires making critical systems rooms vacuums. Funny thing is I'd say if I could survive the early game this might actually be a rather powerful ship against the final boss with so many zolton for extra power.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Defence Grid 2 on hard mode. And when it says hard, they mean insanely hard. Should finish the game by Christmas, not saying which one.

Been giving The Red Solstice a good whirl for the past hour, and after the first lackluster tutorial mission, the second mission was a lot more fun. The whole thing plays at first like one of those singleplayer missions from Starcraft where you guide a hero character and a bunch of marines around rather than base building, but onto the second mission there's definitely more depth to the gameplay. When your little marines stand still, they a defense and damage boost after a few seconds, so positioning them behind cover is quite important, and you're much more vulnerable when moving. But ammo isn't unlimited, so you can't just camp, you need to move and get to your objectives too. I got completely overwhelmed and slaughtered at one point, that was fun. When it got to that point again, I set up claymore mines and was much more careful about my cover and positioning my guys. There's a lot more to it than point and click, and it's damn good! :D

I really like that this was made by a small team in Croatia, really shows what indie devs are capable of, and that indie games aren't just one type of thing.

Red Solstice is really impressing me, it's a bit tough to get to grips with and fairly brutal, but I'm really liking it. The singleplayer campaign seems good introducing you to different classes, figured out how one marine can set up a little barricade, that was very handy. Must give the multiplayer a go soon. Glad I snatched this one up, it's fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Playing the battlefront beta atm, i like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I've been playing nothing really.

Between work, college and girlfriend I've had no time to play video games.

I think I need to take a look at my life and get my priorities right! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

I think I need to take a look at my life and get my priorities right!
    Absolutely! Dump that girlfriend and start playing again! :P

Wizard! wrote: »
    Absolutely! Dump that girlfriend and start playing again! :P

Might dump the job too while i'm at it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

Rocket League. Only started playing this recently. Went 10-0 in my first ten games scoring 26 goals and getting 9 MVP awards, then I started getting matched up with expert and veteran players who are making a mockery of me with all sorts of aerial shenanigans. Might have to play offline for a bit to improve my skills.

MGSV. I've had this since release day and it just hasn't grabbed me at all. I'm only two hours into it though so hopefully it will click with me with a bit more play time.

Remember me. Got this cheap during the Humble Bundle Capcom sale. The fighting can get a bit tedious but the art direction and music are stunning. Definitely worth picking up if you see it going cheap.

3wayswitch wrote: »
    Remember me. Got this cheap during the Humble Bundle Capcom sale. The fighting can get a bit tedious but the art direction and music are stunning. Definitely worth picking up if you see it going cheap.

Picked this one up myself back in the Greenman sale because it was one I was kicking myself over missing in the Steam sale. I was about 4 hours into it, and it's pretty high on my list of 'must get back and finish it'.

It's a mixed bag, the concept, story and setting are great, the main character is quite interesting, the art direction and music are gorgeous, and the memory rewrite segment was fascinating. But on the negative side, the combat is rather boring and the level design really let it down I thought, it has this great setting but all we get to see of it is a few alleyways and corridors, it all feels so small. It reminds me of older games where they couldn't realistically render larger environments, so try to give allusions to a large city.

But yeah, really must get around to finishing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Playing Single player Call Of Duty for some reason..

All of them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Playing through Dawn of War 2 at the moment, and will do the Chaos Rising expansion after that. Not sure about Retribution, but we'll see.

Will keep me entertained till Fallout 4 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

bit of everything in small doses lately

WoW - garrison missions to raise gold for no other reason than to keep the subscription active (it's basically free to play these day)

Attila: Total War - messing around with the Ebdanians, going horde, failing, starting over

Dead Rising 2 - yep, 2. Played it til i remembered why i'd quit, the friendly AI is dreadful. Was fun making an electric wheelchair though :)

Company of Heroes 2 - British forces co-op, playing the commando commanders, great fun :)

Game Dev Tycoon - decent time sink

Pillars of Eternity - Pillows of Eternity, i like the game but cant take it in any more than small doses or it makes me sleepy :D

Payday 2 - quick heist here or there, usually Hoxton's breakout and mallcrasher because i've no patience for stealth jobs in pugs

Up to mission 6 on the Red Solstice's singleplayer campaign, it's absolutely brutal, had to give up for tonight, I was getting my ass handed to me! :eek:

Giving The Witcher 2 a bash after it being in my collection for a few years.

It is objectively a very good game, but everything feels a bit off to me. I don't particularly like the world or the main character. Would I have needed to play the first Witcher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Recently finished playing Resident Evil HD, but for some reason I went back to the old Tomb Raider 2 for pc and it's still a great game I have to say. Graphics are not a problem once the game is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Giving The Witcher 2 a bash after it being in my collection for a few years.

It is objectively a very good game, but everything feels a bit off to me. I don't particularly like the world or the main character. Would I have needed to play the first Witcher?

It just mighn't be your cup of tea.

I absolutely loved it from the get go - the world and Geralt that is.

Hated Witcher 2 as a game, but I liked the idea of it so much that I kept trying to get back into it.

Eventually I gave up.

I only went back to the series some time later with the first game and then with that and the combat rebalance mod I had the momentum to grind through the combat in the 2nd.

The third is of course a masterpiece.

At this stage I've played them all and read most of the books, but that's mostly down to the world and characters. Only W3 is much good in terms of mechanics.
    If you're not drawn in by the aesthetics and general art of it from the get go I can't see how that's going to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd had Tomb Raider in my pile of shame for ages so I decided to give it a go over the past couple of months.

Since then I've dipped out and completed Wolfenstein and the Witcher 3 but wasn't really able to get back into it.

The controls aren't particularly great, the QTEs piss me off, the combat is grand but nothing to write home about, I haven't really been taken in by the story or anything, so I'm really just not arsed.

It's by no means a bad game but it just doesn't seem to excel at anything.

Legacy of the Void's out soon, I've installed Deus Ex: Human Resources and I plan to do a total replaying of the Witcher franchise once I finished reading/rereading all the books.
    It's tough to grab my attention at the moment but TR just doesn't seem to have the bit of stardust or momentum of a long franchise I've had any interest in to grab me.

I'm sitting here with Steam open.... contemplating something new for the weekend.

Decisions....

This could take hours!

I'm sitting here with Steam open.... contemplating something new for the weekend.

Decisions....

This could take hours!

Need suggestions?

Links234 wrote: »
    Need suggestions?

Sure!

I'm in the mood for a management sim.
    Something along the lines of Game Dev Tycoon.

Any ideas?

No idea! :o

I don't think I've really played any management sim at all, so eh, any other types of games you're in the mood for?

Darkest Dungeon is on sale atm in steam if you're into management and RPG type hack and slash roguelikes

It really is decent - excellent playable state too for early access (afaik it's nearly at it's 1.0 full release state)

• Advertisement

I'm ridiculously tempted by Darkest Dungeon, but I really wanna pare down the backlog some more, I'll definitely get it at some stage though, I've been eyeballing it for ages. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I'm ridiculously tempted by Darkest Dungeon, but I really wanna pare down the backlog some more, I'll definitely get it at some stage though, I've been eyeballing it for ages. ;)

The game is harsh, like kicking you in the proverbials then mocking you as you writhe in pain then kicks you some more type of harsh :P

But it's really good, there's something about it that keeps you wanting more of it even though it quite literally spits you in the face with the worst & most frustrating RNGs at the worst possible time :D. The art style is fantastic with an awesome soundtrack and great narration. I've been playing on and off but waiting until till the 1.0 release to dive into it properly. You'll enjoy it more and understand the game when you realise that you need to accept your party will get killed or you'll need to toss them away in order to progress.

It IS ridiculously tempting, but then so was This War of Mine, and Doorkickers. I've been pretty good at not buying any more stuff recently, might try and keep that up for a while longer. ;)

Hmm, I'm running into a problem where I keep flitting between games, playing for a while, and not finishing them. Unfinished games, rather than unplayed, is starting to be a problem. I had been playing the first Bioshock a couple of months ago, got to as far as the level with Sander Cohen and started playing something else, I'm well over half way through The Evil Within, into Chapter III of the first Witcher game, 4 hours into Bastion and Remember Me, nearly 2 hours into Mark of the Ninja, and The Red Solstice while I've been really impressed with it the last week I'm just 5 hours into it... Now I'm seriously, seriously tempted to grab Darkest Dungeon and athough I know it's something I'll play right away, I'm worried it'll be something else I'll flit to and not finish stuff I've already been playing.

Ironically, the only thing lately that I've finished is MGSV and, well... I'm using "Finished" very loosely here, because the final product was cut to ribbons and left unfinished. :(

I gotta quit doing this, flitting between games. I need to be more disciplined and actually finish... OH LOOK, A SQUIRREL! :D What was I saying? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

So much Counter Strike GO... And wow am I bad at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Hmm, I'm running into a problem where I keep flitting between games, playing for a while, and not finishing them. Unfinished games, rather than unplayed, is starting to be a problem. I had been playing the first Bioshock a couple of months ago, got to as far as the level with Sander Cohen and started playing something else, I'm well over half way through The Evil Within, into Chapter III of the first Witcher game, 4 hours into Bastion and Remember Me, nearly 2 hours into Mark of the Ninja, and The Red Solstice while I've been really impressed with it the last week I'm just 5 hours into it... Now I'm seriously, seriously tempted to grab Darkest Dungeon and athough I know it's something I'll play right away, I'm worried it'll be something else I'll flit to and not finish stuff I've already been playing.

Ironically, the only thing lately that I've finished is MGSV and, well... I'm using "Finished" very loosely here, because the final product was cut to ribbons and left unfinished. :(

I gotta quit doing this, flitting between games. I need to be more disciplined and actually finish... OH LOOK, A SQUIRREL! :D What was I saying? :confused:

I had this exact problem for a while and I eventually realised that most of the games I was leaving unfinished were games that, while decent, I just didn't find that compelling. I've started combating it now by embargoing myself on new purchases until I clear some of the back catalogue. So I'm going back and finishing some games, and uninstalling others that I've decided I won't realistically ever be bothered to finish.

The bright side is that all the games I am not finishing are games that I've already put a few hours into and bought on sale, so I've had my money's worth. There's no point feeling guilty or stressed over it - games are for fun! :o

Going through Child of Light, Life Is Strange and Sunless Sea at the moment.

I usually have two sets of games: Ones that are heavily single player and story focused (e.g Alien Isolation, Witcher 3 etc) and ones that are easily able to dip in and out of.

Usually the games that are the former I invest a good chunk of time into to try complete. The other games I usually just play them when I feel like. Darkest Dungeon, for me seems like the type of game that falls into the latter. The game itself does have a story etc but the how the mechanics work, the replayability etc means it's one of those types of games I just dip in and out of without too much of a time investment into actually completing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Been playing Valkyria Chronicles the last few weeks and while i enjoyed it at first it's become a chore lately. Really hating the gimmicky levels which just bug the ****e out of me. I appreciate that they're there to keep things varied but they it just feels youre more restricted in approaching those levels. Also having to grind skirmishes to level up the classes is a pain.

Problem is i feel i have to try and finish it now since im sort of invested in the strory. Think i might just take a break from it for a few weeks though in any case.

I eventually realised that most of the games I was leaving unfinished were games that, while decent, I just didn't find that compelling.

Yeah, that's not quite the problem I've been having, I had been really into them while playing the games, but then I moved onto something else and it's kinda hard to go back to a game after not having played for a while tbh. I had planned on finishing The Evil Within before MGSV came out, but then I went and started The Witcher and was a good 22 hours into it before MGSV took over for the entire month of September. Now I'm kinda iffy about picking it up again, like I'm halfway through it and maybe I've forgotten a load of stuff. I really need more staying power, or commitment or something.

I did go back to playing The Red Solstice again for the past hour or so, still stuck on the 6th mission, it's relentlessly brutal. You have to hold out against a constant wave of enemies while the computer is sealing the bunker doors, one by one, and I'm getting slaughtered constantly. Setting up baricades, turrets, explosive charges, but no good, I'm getting obliterated. There's a checkpoint after each door is sealed, but you only get 10 checkpoint respawns... every time, every time I'm obliterated. This game is tough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

@Links234

I feel the same way. I switch between games a lot and don't finish most of them. I think it's normal. We've all had times when we stop playing games for a while. maybe a few weeks, months even years I've seen people do it. Then you get back to them. Not sticking with a game until the end is the exact opposite of how I used to be.

Anyway I've been playing PS2 games lately. Thinking of streaming Shinobido: Way of the Ninja again. There's a game I've been playing since it first came out. Cleared it multiple times on PS2 and then again on my 60GB PS3 (before it got stolen and later versiosn don't play PS2 games) and now once again on PCSX2. I just got the NTSC version so it'll all be in Japanese now but hey it'll be 60FPS instead of 50 :)

Going to try the multiplayer of Red Solstice, taking a while to get players...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I find darkest dungeon a bit to repetitive and dead endy at times, but this war of mine I played the Crap out if definitely get it if u haven't already

Red Solstice multiplayer was equally as brutal as the singleplayer, getting wiped out very fast until I got a good team who knew what they were doing, and then we did really well. Hiding in buildings and getting monsters into choke points and the like, setting up a load of explosives to be detonated on bosses. We completed all the objectives, and were on the train thingie to evac... and we blew up or something. :eek:

Pretty happy I've been playing this today instead of flitting on to something else again like I've been tempted to do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Finished Dawn of War 2 and the Chaos Rising expansions. Enjoyed CR more then the main game, as Chaos are usually a more entertaining enemy. Might try Retribution next, but we'll see.

Need to do a Deus Ex: Human Revolution playthrough soon, with the sequel early next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Got that Angels Falls 1st game, think i should play the tutorial :D

• Advertisement

Finally finished Mission 6 on The Red Solstice, but I had to turn the difficulty down to 'recruit' and it was still tough as hell... I feel like a wuss. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Kiith wrote: »
    Finished Dawn of War 2 and the Chaos Rising expansions. Enjoyed CR more then the main game, as Chaos are usually a more entertaining enemy. Might try Retribution next, but we'll see.

Need to do a Deus Ex: Human Revolution playthrough soon, with the sequel early next year.

I actually really enjoyed the DOW2 campaign and the expansions, I just hated the multiplayer....the polar opposite of the first game and it's expansions, played MP to death and for the most part never even attempted single player. I wouldn't have even played DOW2 single player only for the fact that I was so disappointed with the MP and wanted to try and get some value out of the purchase!

Right, well... I caved on Darkest Dungeon.

It's one I've wanted for ages, so I went back to the old "Am I gonna play this right away?" question, and the answer was yes. Gonna fire that up now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I bought The Silent Age on the Steam weekend sale. Totally worth it. It's a point and click game but not one of those annoying "find a sun hat" or "find 10 diamonds". It's a story that starts in the 70's with a janitor in a dodgy company that suddenly gets thrust into a mad story. It's a really beautiful game and the story is interesting. It's quite short but really enjoyable.

If you're looking to pass a few hours, pick it up. Beautifully stylised with an interesting storyline.

Damn glad I got Darkest Dungeon, it's smashing! Sunk 3 hours into it tonight already. :D

Damn glad I got Darkest Dungeon, it's smashing! Sunk 3 hours into it tonight already. :D

Are most of your party full of stress already? :P

Cravez wrote: »
    Are most of your party full of stress already? :P

Just under 5 hours in and honestly? I've gotten about 20 people killed, half a dozen wracked with serious afflictions, and only about 2 dungeons successful. I think I'm doing something terribly wrong, and should start anew. Maybe upgrade the blacksmith before anything else.

Blacksmith (armour then weapons) and guild first - rotate your heroes and always try to bring a healer
    dont forget to sell crap trinkets - shift click them in the inventory to flog 'em

Also, if you haven't done it already you can turn off corpses in the ingame options. They only brought that mechanic in recently and it makes the game 100 times harder

additional: you can quit a dungeon if you're taking serious RNG fire and you're better off doing that if you've got a decently levelled group too - but.. it does affect their stress and your income wont be quite as good as you'll only take whatever you've picked up and you lose the reward/s

Also remember that recruiting new heroes for your party costs nothing. So in effect you can use some of your heroes as disposables to get some resources to upgrade the structures back in town.
    Also, if you haven't done it already you can turn off corpses in the ingame options. They only brought that mechanic in recently and it makes the game 100 times harder

Really? I didn't know about that! Definitely going to be turning it off next time.

• Advertisement

definitely recommend doing that :) though the devs got a bit pissy on the steam forums about the vast majority of people hating that mechanic - they begrudgingly added an option to turn it off :D thing is it's hidden, it's on by default as the devs really really want it in there, but they added the option only from inside a game (not the main menu) to turn it off/or back on - once it's off and you're saving/progressing it'll stay that way til you decide otherwise too

Sounds messy but it's fine

Advertisement