Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many Weight Watchers points in ... ?-PLEASE USE MAIN STICKY THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lara_la

hey all going to the cinema tonight and wondering whats the best sweets or snacks to buy. Not going to buy the food in cinema as they are a lot:confused: more points then i want to eat. would appreciate some help! thnx

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

Hi, does anyone know how many points are in brown soda bread. You know the type they give you in restaurant, with soup. The one that looks like its out of a packet as opposed to home made. The slices are thin enough and all look the same??

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

PinkChick wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know how many points are in brown soda bread. You know the type they give you in restaurant, with soup. The one that looks like its out of a packet as opposed to home made. The slices are thin enough and all look the same??

hey PinkChick to err on the side of caution i always point that bread as if it was McCambridge's so 1.5 per slice. welcome back by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Hi all,

Any idea how many points in non-alcoholic Erdinger...cant stumoch non alco becks while Im on the dry for a while and sick of minerals...

thanks!

Doolee wrote: »
    Hi all,

Any idea how many points in non-alcoholic Erdinger...cant stumoch non alco becks while Im on the dry for a while and sick of minerals...

thanks!

according to the erdinger website it's 0.5 a point for 100ml so if its a 500ml bottle it would be 2.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ladiee24 wrote: »
    according to the erdinger website it's 0.5 a point for 100ml so if its a 500ml bottle it would be 2.5
    That sounds an awful lot, are you sure that was not normal erdinger? the non-alcoholic stuff should contain very few calories/points.

I think a 500ml can of guinness is 170kcal which is 2.5 points. Guinness is only 4.2%, normal erdinger is 5.3%. So as I pointed out several times taking points on low portions of alcohol can lead to heavily rounded points. The can or erdinger rounding to 2.5points, when I reckon it would be 3 if not 3.5 for 500ml of 5.3% erdinger. 3.5 divided by 5 is 0.7points per 100ml, so would round down to 0.5points per 100ml. I could be drinking a good 10 erdingers in a night so it can add up!

It pays clever marketing people to fudge figures, using 100ml instead of 500ml to create the illusion of low points, so they sell more.

rubadub wrote: »
    That sounds an awful lot, are you sure that was not normal erdinger? the non-alcoholic stuff should contain very few calories/points.

I think a 500ml can of guinness is 170kcal which is 2.5 points. Guinness is only 4.2%, normal erdinger is 5.3%. So as I pointed out several times taking points on low portions of alcohol can lead to heavily rounded points. The can or erdinger rounding to 2.5points, when I reckon it would be 3 if not 3.5 for 500ml of 5.3% erdinger. 3.5 divided by 5 is 0.7points per 100ml, so would round down to 0.5points per 100ml. I could be drinking a good 10 erdingers in a night so it can add up!

It pays clever marketing people to fudge figures, using 100ml instead of 500ml to create the illusion of low points, so they sell more.

nope i thought it was very high as well but if you look at the following link & have a look at the kcals you'll see it there. http://www.erdinger.com/index1.php?bereich1=beer

http://www.erdinger.com/beer/con_beerspecialties_nonalcoholic.php

Kcal / Kjoules 25 / 107 per 100 ml

So 125kcal per 500ml

http://points.ogo.ms/

I get 2 points per 500 there, but 0.5 per 100ml is also correct as it is rounded. So a rounded 5 bottles is 12.5, compared to 9 actual points (1.8pt per bottle). (going the opposite way of what I thought!)

It has quite a lot of carbs still which is increasing the calories/points, very surprised at that. I think full sugar lilt might have less calories.

Normal 5.3% erdinger is 44kcal per 100ml, I would sooner drink it! 220kcal/3.1pts per 500ml

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Dag Nammit!

I saw that on their website but hoped I was wrong and WW had some system that made it 1.5 or something...dreamin. Back to boring minerals for now then.

Thanks everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭sugark

lara_la wrote: »
    hey all going to the cinema tonight and wondering whats the best sweets or snacks to buy. Not going to buy the food in cinema as they are a lot:confused: more points then i want to eat. would appreciate some help! thnx

I always go for a packet of Manhatten popcorn (3 points I think, but double check the info on the pack to be sure) and maybe a Curly Wurly for 2.5 points, a Chomp for 2 points or a Flyte bar for 3.5 points.

If you don't want popcorn, or are a bit tight on points, any of the Velvet Crunch are 1 point per pack.

Bottle of water or diet soda for zero and you're sorted...

• Advertisement

I got a chicken korma with steamed basmati rice in "lets eat in". No values come with it so I will estimate them.

Rice was 310g, korma was 520g. I would estimate there was a small-medium chicken fillet in the korma, so say 120g cooked meat, which is around 120kcal per 100g, so 144kcal, not much fat. The sauce was quite rich with a lot of oil so I go for a similar rich decent brand supermarket one to compare. Lloyd grossman korma sauce 244kcal per 100g, 10g sat fat. So the remaining korma sauce was 400g (520-120), so 976kcal and 40g sat fat. The uncle bens ready cooked basmati 148kcal 0.5g sat fat. So 459kcal, 1.5g sat fat.

So in total 1579kcal and 41.5g sat fat. So using this http://points.ogo.ms/ I get 32.5 points. (all estimates of course)

This portion was actually not that big for a takeaway, usually in proper Indian takeaways I would get a much bigger portion. The cartons were square sort of American ones, which appeared small but held a lot, but you would get more in a typical Chinese takeaway, and more in the Indian.

So in total 1579kcal and 41.5g sat fat. So using this http://points.ogo.ms/ I get 32.5 points. (all estimates of course)

ouch! just goes to show you take aways should really be a treat & shared with someone if possible for maximum damage limitation!!!

ouch! just goes to show you take aways should really be a treat & shared with someone if possible for maximum damage limitation!!!

Yes, look at the combined weight, 830g. I think most WW ready meals are around the 300g mark, most standard ones are 350g. The portions are huge and calorie dense at that. I ate it in 2 sittings that day.

On the flipside it is pretty good value, 2x415g meals. My brother always gets 2 days meals from a single Indian takeaway, be sure to chill straight away.

Yes, look at the combined weight, 830g. I think most WW ready meals are around the 300g mark, most standard ones are 350g. The portions are huge and calorie dense at that. I ate it in 2 sittings that day.

On the flipside it is pretty good value, 2x415g meals. My brother always gets 2 days meals from a single Indian takeaway, be sure to chill straight away.

agreed on the good vaule! but on the ww ready meals you wouldn't pay me to eat one of them EUGH it's all crap & full of water & i don't think any of them are good value for points all between 5 & 8 or so points for that i could cook a feast! all home cooking with my best friend in the kitchen my digital weighing scales!

agreed on the good vaule! but on the ww ready meals you wouldn't pay me to eat one of them EUGH it's all crap & full of water & i don't think any of them are good value for points all between 5 & 8 or so points for that i could cook a feast! all home cooking with my best friend in the kitchen my digital weighing scales!

Just wanted to say that whilst I'd never advocate having them all the time(and I'd have them for a lunch or supper rather than dinner), some of the WW meals (especially the chilled ones) have really improved over the years (I'm a WW gold member and joined almost ten years ago now - ouch! I feel old) and are very handy if you're in a rush, or are sick of the usual sandwich but don't have time to bring a packed lunch.

The chilled Fish Pie for 4 points is really lovely and creamy (although not a huge amount of fish in it, I'll be having it for lunch today and it will keep me going until dinner this evening). The Chilli Beef and Potato crush is also only 4 points and lovely if, like me, you add some zero point tabasco on top. The Bolegnese Bake is my favourite (some of my colleagues refuse to believe it's a WW meal) although it is 5.5 points.

Compared to the frozen, shrank to half their size after you nuked them in the microwave, meals of before, they are a big improvement. There is a frozen Lemon Chicken Risotto which is pretty tasty, but not so filling for the 5.5 points.

Like you, i think homecooking is definitely best but just wanted to say that some of the chilled meals I've tried I have actually enjoyed and gone back to.

sugark wrote: »
    Just wanted to say that whilst I'd never advocate having them all the time(and I'd have them for a lunch or supper rather than dinner), some of the WW meals (especially the chilled ones) have really improved over the years (I'm a WW gold member and joined almost ten years ago now - ouch! I feel old) and are very handy if you're in a rush, or are sick of the usual sandwich but don't have time to bring a packed lunch.

The chilled Fish Pie for 4 points is really lovely and creamy (although not a huge amount of fish in it, I'll be having it for lunch today and it will keep me going until dinner this evening). The Chilli Beef and Potato crush is also only 4 points and lovely if, like me, you add some zero point tabasco on top. The Bolegnese Bake is my favourite (some of my colleagues refuse to believe it's a WW meal) although it is 5.5 points.

Compared to the frozen, shrank to half their size after you nuked them in the microwave, meals of before, they are a big improvement. There is a frozen Lemon Chicken Risotto which is pretty tasty, but not so filling for the 5.5 points.

Like you, i think homecooking is definitely best but just wanted to say that some of the chilled meals I've tried I have actually enjoyed and gone back to.

it's more a case of personal preference for me. i did generalise on the points as i wasn't aware of the lower pointed options. i find that they all just have too much salt for me. good to hear they are improving though!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Hi all am looking for the points in a fun size pack of maltesers anyone?

Thanks

it's more a case of personal preference for me. i did generalise on the points as i wasn't aware of the lower pointed options. i find that they all just have too much salt for me. good to hear they are improving though!

Totally agree re the high salt level - that's what stops me from having them too often - once or twice a week for lunch at the most if really stuck.

Re the maltesers fun size, they're 2 points (that's the 22g bag). Enjoy! If left alone with a cup of tea, I can make one of those fun size bags last for ages...

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Thanks Sugark - probably better having a full pack they're 3.5 points
    They are my weakness love them :o

That's what's so great about WW - you can have your Maltesers and enjoy them.

Just for future reference, here's the list for Maltesers in some of their various formats:

Snack Size (22g) - 2 points
    37g bag - 3.5 points
    58g bag - 5.5 points
    Box - 14.5 points

Back in the day, I would go through one of those boxes all by myself, no bother at all.

Off to the pictures this evening - can guarantee you that I will be bringing maltesers now after all this talk about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mclougl3

Hi guys

I've just started weight watchers last week. I was wondering does anyone know any low calorie treats that are gluten free? Any of the gluten free biscuits etc are so high in fat hence the reason i'm going to weight watchers.
    Any help would really be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lara_la

sugark wrote: »
    I always go for a packet of Manhatten popcorn (3 points I think, but double check the info on the pack to be sure) and maybe a Curly Wurly for 2.5 points, a Chomp for 2 points or a Flyte bar for 3.5 points.

If you don't want popcorn, or are a bit tight on points, any of the Velvet Crunch are 1 point per pack.

Bottle of water or diet soda for zero and you're sorted...

Cheers thanks for that i opted for the popcorn and diet drink! which annoyingly is only coke or Pepsi in most the cinemas!!!!!! :confused:

Have lost over a half a stone now! this being paddys weekend thou may have undone some of the good work! role on 2moro and walkin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

hi all

Started back on WW this morning. I did WW @ home 3 years ago & lost aprox 2 . 5 stone & slowly but surely its creeping back on ..... I actually think its all the eating out we do TBH.

So i started ! had lovely chicken salad for lunch. Only prob is & I do remember this from before - its 4.30 , im about to start cooking the dinner & I am starving now. Any ideas please on how to feel full all the time.?

I am going to cook & freeze a batch of point free soup tonight - I remember that was a god send before every meal.

Any tips gratefully accepted - need to start shifting this & fast .

jenzz wrote: »
    hi all

Started back on WW this morning. I did WW @ home 3 years ago & lost aprox 2 . 5 stone & slowly but surely its creeping back on ..... I actually think its all the eating out we do TBH.

So i started ! had lovely chicken salad for lunch. Only prob is & I do remember this from before - its 4.30 , im about to start cooking the dinner & I am starving now. Any ideas please on how to feel full all the time.?

I am going to cook & freeze a batch of point free soup tonight - I remember that was a god send before every meal.

Any tips gratefully accepted - need to start shifting this & fast .

hi there jenzz this post might be better off on the WW thread instead of the points one maybe one of the mods will move it for you.

i find that snacking on point free veg, fruit or sugar free jelly in between
    my meals helps me keep the hunger pangs at bay! or if you really want it why not have a packet of velvet crunch for 1 point as you're preparing the dinner i know some might say weird but i love them & they are very points friendly :D best of luck for the coming week!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

Hi guys, I am usually good at this but I am determined to track properly this week so want to get it right. I was out for lunch so options were limited but this is what I had:

1 tbsp apple, celery and walnut salad (in mayonaisse type sauce)
    1 tbsp red cabbage and carrot salad
    1 tbsp pasta salad (again in a mayonaisse type sauce)
    2 tbsp cous cous

1 bowl of chicken noodle soup (I found one small piece of chicken, about a tbsp of noodles, about a tsp of peas, I checked with chef and there was no cream)

My estimates would be 2 for soup, 0 for cabbage and carrot, 2 for celery and walnut, 2 for pasta, 2 for cous cous.

Any ideas???

PinkChick wrote: »
    My estimates would be 2 for soup, 0 for cabbage and carrot, 2 for celery and walnut, 2 for pasta, 2 for cous cous.
    Noodles & pasta (which cous cous really is) are loaded with calories/points. A single pack of 80g koka noodles is around 10 points, I know your soup has not got a pack but I expect the noodles alone might be 2 or more, 1/5th of a pack of koka noodles is very small, I used to eat 2 packs at a go.

Or course it all depends on portion size too, eating out tends to be bigger. A tip for small portions is putting them on small plates so they look like a full plate. Also eat with a smaller cutlery, esp. spoons. Your body does not respond to food until around 15-30mins later, so many people overeat when eating fast. If they ate slowly their body would react and let them know it had enough. Eat your food with chopsticks to really slow you down!

Noodles & pasta (which cous cous really is) are loaded with calories/points. A single pack of 80g koka noodles is around 10 points, I know your soup has not got a pack but I expect the noodles alone might be 2 or more, 1/5th of a pack of koka noodles is very small, I used to eat 2 packs at a go.

aw the good old noodle debate this is true of koka & super noodles as they are made with flour as is pasta but egg noodles are no where half as bad so if you find out if they were egg or flour noodles you can estimate your're points from there. points for the pasta would be 1 per 75g cooked

for the mayo i would say it's full fat which is 2 points for 15g so honestly think about how much mayo was on the celery & walnut & pasta salads. so you might be looking at 4 or 6 points there.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭littletiger

Does anyone miss the core plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭qwertyface

Is the core plan gone or something?? I did WW last year and am starting again at home, so I'm not very educated on the new plans...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭littletiger

qwertyface wrote: »
    Is the core plan gone or something?? I did WW last year and am starting again at home, so I'm not very educated on the new plans...

Yep, gone from the start of this year. I thought it wae great, I lost 5.5 stone on it. It was so easy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement