Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many Weight Watchers points in ... ?-PLEASE USE MAIN STICKY THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Not wading in on either side but I've found rubadub's advice very beneficial and it has helped me lose a lot of weight over the last nine months. Him, g'em and EileenG are posters I tend to listen to a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lizzy09

Hi everyone, im new to this..
    I need to lose weight nd gt healthy, unfortunatly i am a student and thus am broke so wil not b able join WW! So I am gonna try do it on my own... problem is i cld really do wit sum advice, i know a limited amount about foods and there points...

I was wondering how many points are potatoes, also i realise its important 2 b carefull of portion size so wat weight is say a med potato refering 2???

Sorry if questions seem bit silly but suppose need to sart sumwhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

lizzy09 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, im new to this..
    I need to lose weight nd gt healthy, unfortunatly i am a student and thus am broke so wil not b able join WW! So I am gonna try do it on my own... problem is i cld really do wit sum advice, i know a limited amount about foods and there points...

I was wondering how many points are potatoes, also i realise its important 2 b carefull of portion size so wat weight is say a med potato refering 2???

Sorry if questions seem bit silly but suppose need to sart sumwhere...

hey lizzy

no question is a silly question! there's a quiz you need to take to established your daily points allowance i'll pm this to you don't want to break any copyright rules!!! a potato weighing 225g is 2.5 points if ya need anything else just let me know!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lizzy09

ladiee24 wrote: »
    hey lizzy

no question is a silly question! there's a quiz you need to take to established your daily points allowance i'll pm this to you don't want to break any copyright rules!!! a potato weighing 225g is 2.5 points if ya need anything else just let me know!!!

Thanks ladiee,
    think my points are 20, but wil do quiz anyway 2 make sure, prob wrong :D! Im finding it a little hard 2 come up wit sum low point but filling dinners... any ideas??

Also was wondering about the exercise side of things, i no that u cn do so much exercise and thus increse that days points... how much, of wat exercise would you ave 2 b doing to achieve this??
    Hope that made sense... prob abit mixed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

rubadub wrote:
    I weighed some before, more info here

520g of chips on their own and then other stuff. I was saying before to go to supermarkets and pick the more expensive high calorie stuff to compare to. I looked at McCain's site and found some oven chips at 253kcal per 100g, and 7.2g saturated fat per 100g. If that was my bag it is 1315kcal, 37g of sat fat, which is a possible 28 points, for the chips alone.

I read that post before, very interesting stuff. I got the 180 cals per 100g figure from some frozen skinny chips in the freezer, i could imagine those big thick greasy curry chips packing double easily. Insane amount of calories.
    That chinese does give big portions, but that is why I used to go there!

Hell yes! I put away probably over 2000 calories in a curry sitting, wouldnt have it any other way though. If people are eating a curry they are wasting their time counting calories, just write off the day. Curry talk makes me hungry. :pac:

If people want a fast food fix they are better off getting pizza. Curry always wins for me though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

A bottle of coors light is 1.5 points, right? Tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭LorDar

Yep, 1.5points for Coors light - enjoy them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

LorDar wrote: »
    Yep, 1.5points for Coors light - enjoy them!!

Thanks, I just rejoined and couldn't remember !!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

shinny wrote: »
    A bottle of coors light is 1.5 points, right? Tks.
    There is nothing really special about coors light. It is a beer that is brewed to a relatively low alcohol % and it is fully "brewed out"/fermented. Alcohol is made by turning sugar into alcohol. If you turn it all into alcohol then there is almost no sugar left. So a 12% bottle of sweet wine will have more calories/points than a dry 12% bottle of wine.

The same goes for beers, you cannot really have drastic differences in points/calories between beers of similar %, it is not like, say, sauces where they can replace fat with water.

The lowest calories/points for a given unit of alcohol would be unsweetened spirits. These are distilled so are devoid of the proteins and sugars left in beer/wine/cider.

Another point is that many of the stronger lagers are lower in points per unit alcohol than coors light. i.e. you might drink 6 bottles of coors light, but might only need 3 strong beers to get the same level of tipsiness, so end up ingesting less points/calories to get the same "effect".

Another problem is that you are rounding points on low portion items which you might take a lot of. e.g. I expect some beers are listed as 2 points per bottle. While in fact coors could be 1.7 points, and heineken could be 1.8points. So they are rounded up and down to 1.5 and 2 points. But people could be drinking 10 of these in a night! So the coors drinker calculates they have had 15 points, and the other thinks they had 20, while really there was possibly only 1 point difference.

When guides are listing calories/points for drinks it would be better if they also gave higher realistic portions. e.g. coors light, 1.5 points per bottle. 7 points per 4 bottles

rubadub wrote: »
    When guides are listing calories/points for drinks it would be better if they also gave higher realistic portions. e.g. coors light, 1.5 points per bottle. 7 points per 4 bottles

i think there is something like this i'm not a beer drinker so i haven't paid attention to my leader when she's told us about the bottled beers. i'll ask her this coming thursday & let you guys know.

• Advertisement

Thanks ladiee,
    Also was wondering about the exercise side of things, i no that u cn do so much exercise and thus increse that days points... how much, of wat exercise would you ave 2 b doing to achieve this??

hey sorry took so long to get back to you i've been a bit lazy & neglecting boards this week. i am most bold with regard to earning extra points it's a bit complicated it takes the lenght of time you exercised for, the intenstiy level at which you exercise & what you currently weigh. dunno if this is off topic as it's technically not food points but it related to points so maybe apologies if it is! how your bonus points are worked out may also be changing as WW have launched the new discover programme so i don't want to give out wrong info i'll wait til i've to my activity booklet & let you know as soon as i can hope the journey is going well for you! :D

i'll ask her this coming thursday & let you guys know.
    Great. Also ask them how they get the nutritional info? I never looked into why, but alcohol companies do not have to disclose their ingredients, which I think is crazy. Tesco have it on most of their beers, guinness have it on their cans (guinness is particularly low in calories) a polish beer karpackie has it.

On the internet you find sites but a lot of the info is incorrect and conflicts. The other problem is beer recipes vary from country to country. e.g. becks vier is 4.3% here, but 4% in the UK. Heineken varies from 3.4 to 5%. Even the same brand at the same % can vary in calories/points depending on the country.

It might be only slight but can add up if consuming large amounts, like me!

The other problem is beer recipes vary from country to country. e.g. becks vier is 4.3% here, but 4% in the UK. Heineken varies from 3.4 to 5%. Even the same brand at the same % can vary in calories/points depending on the country.

It might be only slight but can add up if consuming large amounts, like me!

Yea I've noticed that as well the alcohol % does effect the points. I drink Kopparberg now & it's so nice but very sweet i.e. TONS of sugar. So I've emailed them asking for the nutritional information waiting to see what I get back.

Yea I've noticed that as well the alcohol % does effect the points.
    The alcohol will make up the bulk of the points. In beer & wine you have calories from mainly alcohol, then carbs/sugar, then proteins.

This is why I said before unsweetened spirits are the lowest points on a per unit alcohol basis. They are distilled so contain no protein or carbs.

Since WW points rely on calories & fat then WWpoints and calories are proportional for most alcohol drinks, since they have no fat. The only fat containing drinks are usually cream based ones, like baileys or cocktails, or advocatt.

Generally the higher the % content the more the points. But what I was saying before is you can get strong german pilsners at say 8.4%, these are twice as strong as the coors light at 4.2%. BUT they can contain less than twice the points/calories per pint/bottle.

i.e. if your aim is to get to a certain blood alcohol level, then there might be better beers to pick rather than the ones touted as low point/calorie, i.e. have 3 strong bottles, rather than 6 weak ones. If you are only drinking for taste then try the low alcohol premium beers, since they have much lower points/calories and many would say they are a better tasting beer than coors light.
    I drink Kopparberg now & it's so nice but very sweet i.e. TONS of sugar
    Make sure you are sitting down when you find out! its gonna be high...

Make sure you are sitting down when you find out! its gonna be high...

just got the reply for the 5.3% mixed fruits & the 4.5% pear it's 65kcals per 100ml!!! 325 per 500ml thank god it's only an occasional tipple as vodka & a diet mixer is my prefered choice but when ya just want something else i do like the kopparberg which i will be refraining from as much as i can now :( i have also mailed them to ask how is the pear the same as the mixed fruits considering the alcohol % difference! bye bye kopparberg it's been nice drinking ya!

occasional tipple as vodka & a diet mixer is my prefered choice
    That is the wisest choice by far! As I mentioned unsweetend vodka has low calories. BUT mixing with low calorie drinks makes you absorb the alcohol faster due to the sweeteners they use. So you get tipsy on less vodka, so thereby ingest less calories/points for the same effect.

For the normal person
    http://media.www.diamondbackonline.com/media/storage/paper873/news/2006/11/13/News/Diet-Mixers.Increase.Alcohol.Absorption-2455374.shtml

and for the lab coat wearers!
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16945619

if anybody can get me that publication please drop me a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

rubadub, send me your email address, I've downloaded it for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

It is not recommended to exercise in order to gain more points to eat more. It can be handy to know that you can exercise to work off points eaten or to gain a few extra if youve something in particular happening, but you shouldnt be doing it just to eat more everyday.

Your exercise points should be more of a safety net (as well as just needing to do some exercise).

well i was a bit too excited to ask my leader about the alcohol point caluclation last night as i had a good WI so i promise i'll ask next week! big sorry :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Dublin Girl

Hi Guys,

I joined WW last week, and had my first weigh in last night - I lost 4lbs. Was thrilled. Was a bit unorganised for lunch today so just went to Spar and got a soft brown roll with ham & salad. I'm totally lost as to what points the roll should be. A medium bread roll (50g) is 2. Has anyone any clue????

Thanks a mil.

• Advertisement

I'm totally lost as to what points the roll should be. A medium bread roll (50g) is 2. Has anyone any clue????

Thanks a mil.
    Your spar probably has a weighing scale at the salad bar, just stick the roll on and sees what comes up, if nothing appears on the screen press the button and a label will come out with the weight on it.

I just avoid bread, I go to the salad bar in a centra near me and clean them out of the cold meats! it was only €11 per kilo at one stage, and cooked roast beef is 3 times that in some places. Now they charge by the container, I go up with it brimming with meats! no point filling up on crappy cheap pasta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

how many WW points in one of th ose 98calorie cadbury bards of chocolate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

Those small cadburys bars have 2 or 2.5 points each, maybe someone knows which exactly?

Síle28 wrote: »
    Those small cadburys bars have 2 or 2.5 points each, maybe someone knows which exactly?

i was just about to say the same Síle28. the problem in pointing these is they don't list the saturated fat only the fat content. my leader gave us the rule half the saturated fat for most foods if it's not listed apart for chocolate & cheese. so being safe i'd say 2.5 as that's based on the fat figure.

dublingal80 my advice is if you're going to a WW class buy the bars there. they are much more tasty & only 1.5 points!

the problem in pointing these is they don't list the saturated fat only the fat content. my leader gave us the rule half the saturated fat for most foods if it's not listed apart for chocolate & cheese.
    Do the WW people/leaders give any reason as to why they focus only on sat fats? And why single out chocolate & cheese?

e.g. if you had 100g/ml of unsat oil it is ~900kcal so 13 points but 100g/ml of sat fat is the same 900kcal yet 37 points. That is using this calculator http://points.ogo.ms/

That of course takes it to extremes, most oil will have some sat fat, and not be fully sat fat. But if you could get purified oils are they really saying it really will make you put on ~3 times as much fat on your body? I thought the points system was solely based on weight gain, but is it meant to promote healthier eating? (if so I would have thought simple sugars should also add on more points)

Is there any talk of them updating the WW point calculation system whenever new scientific information becomes available? e.g. I am reading more and more that some sat fat is not all that bad, and that trans fat is bad for you (but maybe not more fattening, I am not sure). The sat fats can help you to lose fat, coconut oil is meant to be good. I have said before I have no doubt I would get fatter drinking 10points worth of coke, rather than eating 10points of nuts (which have sat fat so are higher in points per calorie)

Do the WW people/leaders give any reason as to why they focus only on sat fats? And why single out chocolate & cheese?

I thought the points system was solely based on weight gain, but is it meant to promote healthier eating?

Is there any talk of them updating the WW point calculation system whenever new scientific information becomes available? e.g. I am reading more and more that some sat fat is not all that bad, and that trans fat is bad for you (but maybe not more fattening, I am not sure)

no idea why the single out the chees & choc to be honest i never really thought about it. it's working for me when i point my food & i'm a pound off loosing 2 stone hopeful that this will be the 2 stone tonight when i go to my WI.

the ww programme is about using a points system to make healthier eating easier for people who aren't too technical unlike yourself rubadub :)

i think you are right about the sat fats needing to be updated the points are calcualted on the calorie content & the sat fat only not the poly or mono's as they are good for you obviously in small portions. i would guess that the reason that trans fats have not yet been included in points calculation is that they are not yet listed on the nutritional info put onto foods. i think it's long overdue that trans fats are listed as they are lethal from what i've read so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Snuggle Bunny

the cadbury bars are 2.5 pts, the milky way crispyrolls are 1.5 pts so they're good value too, and the little packs of Jacobs Ice Gems are 1.5 pts each for the fruit flavored ones which are great value.
    Also, there are ww bread rolls out now the small petit pain which are 1.5 pts each!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

Yum milky way crispy rolls :) other low point treats I like are jaffa cakes for half point each or those 'pink and whites' wafer and marshmallow things are only half each too...each After Eight is half but they're heavy enough so I wouldn't eat more than 4 max so good if u get a choccie craving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Snuggle Bunny

and Cadbury treatsize Buttons are also 1.5 pts each yummy with a cup of tea:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭aoife161

Hi All
    I rejoined WW the first week of Jan. So far I'm please with my progress...I weighed in with heavy boots the very first week (I hadn't planned on going to the meeting so I didn't dress appropriately :( )....anyway I asked my leader if i could weigh in without the boots as I knew they would give an incorrect reading for my first weigh in....I was told no.

So my second weigh in (I was very good all week, and even managed the gym three times) had me down 6.5 lbs! lol...anyway I contributed the boots to 3lbs loss and the rest was my hard work!

Since then I'm down a total of 10.5 lbs with 3 weigh ins. So i'm pretty much focused now. I know exactly what I have to do, its not rocket science...but its staying away from tempation thats the hard part.

Anyway...to my point of this post...I recently found 'Cobra Lite' in my local tesco. So I bought them and had a few. As usual the nutritional information isn't stated on the beers...so I'm at a loss as to what points they'd be. So far I've been pointing them 1.5 per bottle. They're a std 330ml btl.
    However comparing them to the normal cobra..there is a significant taste difference (but I really like the taste of the lite Cobras)....the % of the lite beer is 4.3% ...not sure how much this differs to the normal Cobra.

I've gone online to see if I could find out the calories per bottle but most sites I find give conflicting information.

Does anyone know how many points / calories the Cobra Lites have?

Thanks a mill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement