Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Sold 6 Weanling heifers during the week:

LMX 290kg €660
    LMX 285kg €680
    SIM 275kg €665
    CHX 275kg €690
    CHX 305kg €710
    CHX 290kg €710

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

tanko wrote: »
    Well done.
    Would all the bulls be going for export do you know?

Ya an exporter bought all five of them.

jntsnk wrote: »
    Are they fed ration all year ?

Creep feeder out since July 15th. Eating 3 kg per day for the last 5-6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Grueller wrote: »
    Creep feeder out since July 15th. Eating 3 kg per day for the last 5-6 weeks.
    What breeding there Grueller ? Bull or AI?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

All off the dairy herd no doubt! :p

• Advertisement

Adajio du bray bred stock bull in the main patsy.

Mooooo wrote: »
    All off the dairy herd no doubt! :p

Ha, be all kya bred Angus runts from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

292 kg and 1100kg! Jesus chrost!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Can't beat the blue, they must be lovely cattle fair play.

893bet wrote: »
    292 kg and 1100kg! Jesus chrost!

And honest to god, not a word of a lie, he was a twin. His brother sold for €1350 about 4-5 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Grueller wrote: »
    And honest to god, not a word of a lie, he was a twin. His brother sold for €1350 about 4-5 weeks ago.

Can never understand why people don’t like twins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Dunedin wrote: »
    Can never understand why people don’t like twins.

They’re great when they go well but there can be problems with them at calving with backways calves etc and maybe weak calves that need a lot of time and effort to keep alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Sold a red LMx heifer yesterday - 350kgs - €950.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I sold a fr bull at the mart a few days ago, Exactly 2 years old on the day of sale, 600 kg I tried fattening him but he was like a greyhound with no arse on him even after pumping him with nuts. I got €830 for him reckoned I worked out alright.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

tanko wrote: »
    They’re great when they go well but there can be problems with them at calving with backways calves etc and maybe weak calves that need a lot of time and effort to keep alive.

+1000 on the above. It's great when everything works out but they can be a lot of work at times and are often severe on a cow too. A neighbor man had a very wild cow calving twins last week with both coming backwards. We took 2 live calves from her and thankfully she's rearing them both with no issues. I sold 2 red LM year old twin heifer's for a neighbor tonight. 1 super heifer 400kg @ €1030 and a plainer 1 370kg @ €900. It's the best touch he'll have out of suckling this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I sold a fr bull at the mart a few days ago, Exactly 2 years old on the day of sale, 600 kg I tried fattening him but he was like a greyhound with no arse on him even after pumping him with nuts. I got €830 for him reckoned I worked out alright.

It can be very hard to fatten bulls. If you do it on grass you definately need barley, hulls maize mixture. I seen too many lads fattening them with high protein rations. When they are light you really need 100+ days plus feeding for them. That impossible to do outside with a single bull. Animals by the them selves do not thrive most of the time.

However even if only FS2= you might have got 3/kg for him. At 600kgs mart weight he have killed 300kgs. I think he have made more than 900in the factory and that is where he went anyway.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

It can be very hard to fatten bulls. If you do it on grass you definately need barley, hulls maize mixture. I seen too many lads fattening them with high protein rations. When they are light you really need 100+ days plus feeding for them. That impossible to do outside with a single bull. Animals by the them selves do not thrive most of the time.

However even if only FS2= you might have got 3/kg for him. At 600kgs mart weight he have killed 300kgs. I think he have made more than 900in the factory and that is where he went anyway.

I was going sending him to the factory but my board bia cert was after expiring and I was told that it’s impossible to get a bull into the factory without being board bia approved. He was getting beef nuts and I tried getting him to eat more energy with maize meal and maize crunch, no way would he eat either even if mixed with the nuts. I even put molasses to get him to eat it and he turned his arse to that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

+1000 on the above. It's great when everything works out but they can be a lot of work at times and are often severe on a cow too. A neighbor man had a very wild cow calving twins last week with both coming backwards. We took 2 live calves from her and thankfully she's rearing them both with no issues. I sold 2 red LM year old twin heifer's for a neighbor tonight. 1 super heifer 400kg @ €1030 and a plainer 1 370kg @ €900. It's the best touch he'll have out of suckling this year.

And that’s my point. So what if they’re a bit of extra work (some singles are hard going too).

I work off the basis if I lose one, I still have the other and if I keep two going then I’ve two calves and I’ve been selective with my cows so nearly all would rear two calves not a bother (zag cows apart but that’s for another day/thread!!!)

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I was going sending him to the factory but my board bia cert was after expiring and I was told that it’s impossible to get a bull into the factory without being board bia approved. He was getting beef nuts and I tried getting him to eat more energy with maize meal and maize crunch, no way would he eat either even if mixed with the nuts. I even put molasses to get him to eat it and he turned his arse to that as well.

I am a huge believer in barley while maize has higher energy barley is way more palatable. However if he was by himself you are fighting a losing battle

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Only got 2.40 for fr that killed out O=2= 40 months old tho killed out at 390 kgs. Second one 2.20 same age but only a P= but he had hurt himself at the tail bone, no ration to either of em

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    Only got 2.40 for fr that killed out O=2= 40 months old tho killed out at 390 kgs. Second one 2.20 same age but only a P= but he had hurt himself at the tail bone, no ration to either of em

Dunedin bull was under 24 months just so different market

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

Few bullocks in mart today all just under the 30 months and q.assurred
    690kg Limx E1460
    690kg Limx E1360
    650kg limx E1340
    580kg hex E1110
    Not sure if factory would have been any better/worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Farmer Dan

Few bullocks in mart today all just under the 30 months and q.assurred
    690kg Limx E1460
    690kg Limx E1360
    650kg limx E1340
    580kg hex E1110
    Not sure if factory would have been any better/worse.

You happy?
    What was trade like for them type of cattle?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

Farmer Dan wrote: »
    You happy?
    What was trade like for them type of cattle?

Certainly was not bringing them home again, never fully happy I suppose. Plenty on online buyers for the big cattle. A few done better and a few worse than I expected. Saw one master chx bullock 760kg go for E1670.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Certainly was not bringing them home again, never fully happy I suppose. Plenty on online buyers for the big cattle. A few done better and a few worse than I expected. Saw one master chx bullock 760kg go for E1670.

He’d have made at least €80 more in the factory if he graded u and under 30 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

What are 350 kg hr bullocks making?

What are 350 kg hr bullocks making?

Herefords that weight are making over 2/kg. Hard to come across them. Most stuff I see for sale are over the 400kgs and make the 2/kg+. Having said taht I saw a 330kg He bullocks only make 600 in Kilmallock yesterday. Even if you only want to see prices now use the LSL or Marteye app for a few local marts. Gortnalea in Kerry runs until 9pm on a friday night so if you can look nowhere else watch taht.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Herefords that weight are making over 2/kg. Hard to come across them. Most stuff I see for sale are over the 400kgs and make the 2/kg+. Having said taht I saw a 330kg He bullocks only make 600 in Kilmallock yesterday. Even if you only want to see prices now use the LSL or Marteye app for a few local marts. Gortnalea in Kerry runs until 9pm on a friday night so if you can look nowhere else watch taht.

Bought 10 HEx Jan/Feb/March 19 last week on DD.
    Hard to know exact weights but I would guess averaging about 440/450kg at €890.
    Always worry I gave too much after leaving but when they arrived I'm happy. Nice shapely cattle that should do well come next July.

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Bought 10 HEx Jan/Feb/March 19 last week on DD.
    Hard to know exact weights but I would guess averaging about 440/450kg at €890.
    Always worry I gave too much after leaving but when they arrived I'm happy. Nice shapely cattle that should do well come next July.

Bought six good middle of the road Friesians yesterday 400kgs 600 euro. They will do well next August/September. All March on the cards so they can go to September. If grading hold as well next year like this year they will turn a bob. Also bought two 370kgs for 590 but were May born so can go to next November. I expect them to more than double there money on average.

Problem with heavy AA or HE stores is there is a limit to there top value at 370kgs as well you have to finish by 30 months. The HE to average that would need to kill 360kgs on average and hit 4.15/kg inc bonuses. I expect my friesiand to average it at present base prices. The HE would want a base of 3.85/kg to do that.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭kk.man

Bought six good middle of the road Friesians yesterday 400kgs 600 euro. They will do well next August/September. All March on the cards so they can go to September. If grading hold as well next year like this year they will turn a bob. Also bought two 370kgs for 590 but were May born so can go to next November. I expect them to more than double there money on average.

Problem with heavy AA or HE stores is there is a limit to there top value at 370kgs as well you have to finish by 30 months. The HE to average that would need to kill 360kgs on average and hit 4.15/kg inc bonuses. I expect my friesiand to average it at present base prices. The HE would want a base of 3.85/kg to do that.

Those fr were great value. You did well there and won't lose on them. Private or mart?

Advertisement