Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I was at a clearance suckler sale a few years back. High profile sale with prices to 2,500 or so. At the end, a dealer had a few in-calf heifers. This shorthorn cross char type came in and no interest. I bought her for 1100. I'm trying to offload some cows at the moment. Guy in the field at the weekend and he picks her out of the lot. Gas isn't it? Some lads like what they like

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Mooooo wrote: »
    I dunno how the numbers work lads, 90% of the time unless they're show cattle dairy lads wouldn't pay those prices for stock. Of the return is so poor from beef it must be off farm paying for the stock at that money and it all ends up supporting Larry and co. Fair enough if it is a side interest but in terms of getting a return it doesn't make sense

I'm not disagreeing with you Moo but most of the time in those situations the numbers don't have to work. Your dealing with lad's that have big BPS payments, good off farm income, a wealthy spouse, legacies ect. In other walks of life people spend it on houses, fast car's, slow horses and faster women.

There's a certain number will spend it on super cow's to produce top class weanlings. It's there money and it's a mute point as to whether it's right or wrong because obviously it's the right thing in there eye's. Granted it makes it harder to whinge about poor return's in the beef sector but most of them will keep slogging away because the darkest hour is always before the dawn.

Someone recently mentioned that beef farming is too easy to get into and I think it's a very valid point. Dairying or other enterprises require expensive facilities and a high labour input which complicates the opportunity for off farm employment. Beef or suckler farming on a small scale doesn't require much more than basic facilities, a modest land base and you can still keep the 9-5 job if desired. Anyone can stand around the ring (or bid online from the office, kitchen table ect) and buy quality dry stock without worries as to how the monthly repayments will be met on a milking parlour, land purchases or whatever is now necessary to continue trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

ruwithme wrote: »
    Cattle marts are awash with money from non farming related activities in my opinion. Business men with a interest/tradesmen with good wages and the bit of land and undoubtedly other sources too

This with bells on it.

Rolling money over is more important than return for quite a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

She wasn't a great heifer but sweet,

Have you a photo of her?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

• Advertisement

That's not a great photo to judge from but she seems a little low to the ground at the front and isn't anything special as regards muscle. However she's a nice natural little beast with good hair and is eye catching all the same. It was a fair touch for her imo but I'd wish whoever bought her the best of luck and she should hopefully make a nice cow some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

That's not a great photo to judge from but she seems a little low to the ground at the front and isn't anything special as regards muscle. However she's a nice natural little beast with good hair and is eye catching all the same. It was a fair touch for her imo but I'd wish whoever bought her the best of luck and she should hopefully make a nice cow some day.

If she was trimmed would make her look taller, the hair makes them butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

The show calf pyramid scheme :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I'm not disagreeing with you Moo but most of the time in those situations the numbers don't have to work. Your dealing with lad's that have big BPS payments, good off farm income, a wealthy spouse, legacies ect. In other walks of life people spend it on houses, fast car's, slow horses and faster women.

There's a certain number will spend it on super cow's to produce top class weanlings. It's there money and it's a mute point as to whether it's right or wrong because obviously it's the right thing in there eye's. Granted it makes it harder to whinge about poor return's in the beef sector but most of them will keep slogging away because the darkest hour is always before the dawn.

Someone recently mentioned that beef farming is too easy to get into and I think it's a very valid point. Dairying or other enterprises require expensive facilities and a high labour input which complicates the opportunity for off farm employment. Beef or suckler farming on a small scale doesn't require much more than basic facilities, a modest land base and you can still keep the 9-5 job if desired. Anyone can stand around the ring (or bid online from the office, kitchen table ect) and buy quality dry stock without worries as to how the monthly repayments will be met on a milking parlour, land purchases or whatever is now necessary to continue trading.

All true. Unfortunately it is likely a large reason for the poor returns in beef for all also. If the farm isn't paying for itself, even allowing for including the sfp, it's the off farm job is covering the cost that the price of beef should be. Beef price won't go up if it is being supplied below the cost of production...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Mooooo wrote: »
    All true. Unfortunately it is likely a large reason for the poor returns in beef for all also. If the farm isn't paying for itself, even allowing for including the sfp, it's the off farm job is covering the cost that the price of beef should be. Beef price won't go up if it is being supplied below the cost of production...

Agreed. When the experts tell us that beef farming is unviable they are looking at it in narrow financial terms. But very few people live in that world. From the broader perspective, it is very viable if the off-farm job covers the dwelling house bills and a lad can escape from the world into the farm for an hour here and there.

If anything, such an outside interest is essential for lots of the off-farm jobs these days where management types and business speak are taking over.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

Bad day at the office here today.

I brought 12 summer grazers to the mart and took a serious hair-cut on them. Prices are back on the last few weeks but the money was really lost the day I believed the agent when he said they were a certain weight back in May. I assumed he had a nice commission for himself built into the price but I didn’t think he’d dip into my pocket so much. I’ll never again deal with him.

It’s all obvious in hindsight but lessons have very much been learned today. I won’t forget today’s trip to the mart for a long time.

I went to check the sheep when I came home and I’m looking at them in a whole new light now. They might break your heart at times but they’ll never break your pocket too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I brought 12 summer grazers to the mart and took a serious hair-cut on them. Prices are back on the last few weeks but the money was really lost the day I believed the agent when he said they were a certain weight back in May. I assumed he had a nice commission for himself built into the price but I didn’t think he’d dip into my pocket so much. I’ll never again deal with him.

It’s all obvious in hindsight but lessons have very much been learned today. I won’t forget today’s trip to the mart for a long time.

I went to check the sheep when I came home and I’m looking at them in a whole new light now. They might break your heart at times but they’ll never break your pocket too much.

Were they the Friesians you bought in May give us the gory details.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

I know the feeling. Got caught 2 years ago myself with a few I bought off a dealer. Taking their word that they were a certain weight. One in particular was a Dexter but looked like a young limousin with LM on the card, I didn't pass remarks til he didnt grow. Lost €250 on him in the space of 6 months. Same for a few others in that group. Never went back near him again. Online marts will make buying a bit easier now, but better off just buying your own few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

online is the job .
    poor old dealers hanging on the rails , can put their long finger some where else now , this is mine and you can have the next, how are you .

kerry cow wrote: »
    online is the job .
    poor old dealers hanging on the rails , can put their long finger some where else now , this is mine and you can have the next, how are you .

It is definately causing them problems they can no longer buy everything.They are at a disadvantage bulling prices as they do not know if the have a real victim. As well lads buying finished cattle are under pressure, I heard a rumour that 1-2 processors have put a lad behind computer screens buying and only need send the lorry to collect them.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭minerleague

Years ago you would have to start buying in Feb/March to make any bit in summer grazing, never much made buying in May

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭straight

Better off to paddle your own canoe as there are leeches like them at every turn trying to snatch the quick buck. They have no conscience whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

straight wrote: »
    Better off to paddle your own canoe as there are leeches like them at every turn trying to snatch the quick buck. They have no conscience whatsoever.

There's a holes in every walk of life, but he seems a particularly short sighted one.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    There's a holes in every walk of life, but he seems a particularly short sighted one.

I should have gone to the mart myself. And if I lost money then, at least it would have been honestly lost. Rather than this lad mugging me.

Anyway, I’m hitting the fridge here now for a can of Guinness to drown my sorrows. Tomorrow is another day

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

I should have gone to the mart myself. And if I lost money then, at least it would have been honestly lost. Rather than this lad mugging me.

Anyway, I’m hitting the fridge here now for a can of Guinness to drown my sorrows. Tomorrow is another day

Every day is a school day. But you won't get caught like that again. I sold last week and prices r deff back last 3weeks. You learn watch your costs, keep them to a min and don't leave it get to you!
    Enjoy your Guinness and start again tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

Everyone has got a roasting at some stage when it comes to cattle. A man i knew (rip) always said, "education bought is better than education taught"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Everyone has got a roasting at some stage when it comes to cattle. A man i knew (rip) always said, "education bought is better than education taught"

That's very good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

Really feel for you. It happened to me a few years back. I never lost that feeling you had in the mart today.
    I tell you it was an expensive lesson but the best lesson you could get. I can honestly say I never lost money on a beast since and especially this year with the tender system I hope to make more than any year. Educate yourself now and you'll be grand. Education is never cheap nó matter what way you go about it.
    The f&+=*<r that did me had some serious back luck after and I didn't wish it on him.
    I too looked at my sheep with great fondness that evening too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It is definately causing them problems they can no longer buy everything.They are at a disadvantage bulling prices as they do not know if the have a real victim. As well lads buying finished cattle are under pressure, I heard a rumour that 1-2 processors have put a lad behind computer screens buying and only need send the lorry to collect them.

I was watching the heavy older bulls being sold in Ennis last week. About 6 in a row I saw, were all sold online. To me that was the factory buying direct.

Talking to someone at the weekend too who said that a mart manager had told him that some lads would buy half their cattle at the ringside, disappear and buy the other half online................ strange one.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I was watching the heavy older bulls being sold in Ennis last week. About 6 in a row I saw, were all sold online. To me that was the factory buying direct.

Talking to someone at the weekend too who said that a mart manager had told him that some lads would buy half their cattle at the ringside, disappear and buy the other half online................ strange one.

There is often a kind of quota system around the ring with online all taht is gone by the wayside. However I would not be believing everything a mart manager says. As well if you are not there there is less pressure to be bidding up cattle and get stuck with an expensive bunch

Slava Ukrainii

There is often a kind of quota system around the ring with online all taht is gone by the wayside. However I would not be believing everything a mart manager says. As well if you are not there there is less pressure to be bidding up cattle and get stuck with an expensive bunch

Mart managers have been known to have a fluid relationship with the truth much the same as the rest of the general population. However I wouldn't be surprised at the lengths some lads will go to when conducting there business. Your right about the quota system.

You'll often see multiple men around the ring buying for the same end purchaser. If one man has his hand out every time for a certain type of animal the competition is going to get sick of continually waiting there turn and the agreement breaks down. If there's a few different men to spread out the buying between them it's not as obvious as it looks like everyone is getting there turn at them. In the evening you throw the other lads a few euro a head and get all put on to your sheet. It's usually cheaper than engaging in multiple poll outs with some else because you're trying to claim them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Sold a few more this week.
    5 bulls, all belgian blues, oldest was 12 months
    382kg = €1050
    480kg = €1260
    448kg = €1280
    438kg = €1340
    292kg = €1110

2 bullocks
    BB 450kg = €1000
    Limo 394kg = €880

7 heifers, BB unless stated otherwise, all bar 1 under 12 months.
    428kg = €900
    420kg = €1000
    414kg = €840
    396kg = €1100
    456kg = €950 13 months
    Limo 358kg = €770
    Limo 370kg = €670 very plain animal.

Happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

2.21 kg today for nice AI bullocks today. 550kg and 18 months old. A little disappointed with their weights. Thought they would be touching 600.

Tipp town mart. Thought prices poor enough for plain cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Grueller wrote: »
    382kg = €1050
    480kg = €1260
    448kg = €1280
    438kg = €1340
    292kg = €1110

2 bullocks
    BB 450kg = €1000
    Limo 394kg = €880

428kg = €900
    420kg = €1000
    414kg = €840
    396kg = €1100
    456kg = €950 13 months
    Limo 358kg = €770

Happy enough

Well done.
    Would all the bulls be going for export do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Grueller wrote: »
    382kg = €1050
    480kg = €1260
    448kg = €1280
    438kg = €1340
    292kg = €1110

2 bullocks
    BB 450kg = €1000
    Limo 394kg = €880

428kg = €900
    420kg = €1000
    414kg = €840
    396kg = €1100
    456kg = €950 13 months
    Limo 358kg = €770

Happy enough

Are they fed ration all year ?

Advertisement