Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭highdef

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The cold air hasn’t even arrived yet, the last shower was rain.

So it bodes very well.

Well the air wayyyyy down south is rather cold this evening. I went to the shops a little after 18:00 and had to use the ice scraper on the windscreen before I could go anywhere. The grass was turning frosty at sunset and the roads are now like rinks in places where run off from the fields enters or passes over the roads. No fancy gritters around these parts :pac:

As for the possible event on Saturday evening/night, looking at the info to hand I would say that most places away from the south and west will see a couple of hours of light snow with a few heavy bursts here and there. I'd say many will wake to a dusting, some more than others with probably a good few disappointed people too. That's as it currently stands. My thoughts may change between now and Saturday afternoon/early evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Corkonians on Sunday morning

1606260026_1940618

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Don't you just love when netweather displays the freezing rain graphic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Not sure if that's aimed at me or not :pac:

Not at all. Everyone has their opinion, it's just that it would seem from JS that some opinions are more welcome than others, regardless of the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Not at all. Everyone has their opinion, it's just that it would seem from JS that some opinions are more welcome than others, regardless of the facts.
    It's not aimed at you but you can take the insult if you like :D
    There's worse than you lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    I used to like the cold but now that I'm working and driving in it, **** that! My car is going to be frozen solid in the morning again in cork.

Looked out half an hour ago. Car frozen solid. North kerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Quite a shower moving east across Clare and holding together. Might be some ninja snow across parts of the south in the morning!

Starting to look like more of a snow "event" on Saturday night. Delighted that this front is looking more active.

51-574UK.GIF?22-0

54-574UK.GIF?22-0

57-580UK.GIF?22-0

Potential top up on Sunday too for the east and south

63-574UK.GIF?22-0

63-580UK.GIF?22-0

Danno should be having fairly heavy snow now

Snooze you lose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rain, sleet and hill snow

You'd soon grow despondent with how dismal our winters are. We cannot even get a decent storm anymore.

If you look at the last wind chart Syran posted a couple of weeks back, you'll see that even 'named' storms are gradually losing what little punch they might have had over time. :rolleyes:

New Moon

Overnight grass minima got down to -7 in Mullingar and Oak Park.

https://meteologix.com/ie/observations/ireland/soil-temperature-min/20210122-0600z.html

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

MT’s forecast for the weekend holds lots of snow potential for some. Is it likely to be another East Munster/South Leinster event or could North Leinster join in too?

MT’s forecast for the weekend holds lots of snow potential for some. Is it likely to be another East Munster/South Leinster event or could North Leinster join in too?

If high cloud ahead of it doesn't prevent surface cooling Saturday evening then it looks like from west Munster and Connacht to north Leinster should see snow overnight and Sunday morning. We need that surface cooling ahead of it, though.

540302.gif

Meanwhile
    Its snowing here near Arklow again this morning
    This I was not expecting...
    Actual snow
    Flakes of the flakes variety
    No margin for error in describing this at all
    Ground is as white as a sheet

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Meanwhile
    Its snowing here near Arklow again this morning.

Well done! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭cml387

Snow shower in Clonmel. Enough to make all surfaces white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

cml387 wrote: »
    Snow shower in Clonmel. Enough to make all surfaces white.
    Yep, snowing here too,15 miles east of Clonmel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

540306.PNG
    Abbeyfeale hills just now.

If high cloud ahead of it doesn't prevent surface cooling Saturday evening then it looks like from west Munster and Connacht to north Leinster should see snow overnight and Sunday morning. We need that surface cooling ahead of it, though.

None of that is a problem. How active the front is, it's crucial. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Snow cover and still snowing between Wexford/wicklow border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Interesting feature crossing Munster and into south Leinster, not many models picked up on that.

Nice frost here in N Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Snowing and lying above 400 feet here. I am going to say that it’s possible I might finally get a covering tonight as the air cools.

https://streamable.com/gkkimx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Rain in Carlow Town but sleet near Tullow and snow near Rathvilly this morning

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1352530683412017152?s=20

Also the Met office still say that the snow will only lie on high ground. If the snow is already lying to 100 metres and the coldest air isn’t here yet I’m sure that’s a little pessimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Counting snowflakes on the bin lid here in Kildare this morning :D

Also the Met office still say that the snow will only lie on high ground. If the snow is already lying to 100 metres and the coldest air isn’t here yet I’m sure that’s a little pessimistic.

There won't be a problem further south.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Susiequattro

Snowing consistently since 8am here in south kilkenny. Snowflakes are much more what we are used to compared with the huge ones last week. All surfaces getting a nice dusting of powder. Typically I'm working nights this weekend ugh

There won't be a problem further south.

Well that’s nonsense. The colder air is over me.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

Snowing here between youghal and dungarvan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭cml387

However the snow in Clonmel is now disappearing pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭giveitholly

me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭teddybones

I am a long time lurker in here and I am finding thread browsing uncomfortable because your tone comes across as condescending, aggressive and rude. Please be more respectful.

Very cool morning here with sleety snow. Temperatures are fine but the airmass is saturated so there is a sharp cut off line between snow and rain.

I expect this will continue throughout the day with the showers turning to pure snow to all levels by late evening.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: @Nqp15hhu Nobody has it in for you! Tone down the posting style. Please/thank you.

Snowing and lying above 400 feet here. I am going to say that it’s possible I might finally get a covering tonight as the air cools.

https://streamable.com/gkkimx

Do you not see the contradiction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Snowing heavy in Waterford city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Danno should be having fairly heavy snow now

Snooze you lose?

A total of 0.6mm of sleet fell here despite air temperature of 0.0c to 0.1c during the shower. Must have been slightly milder air aloft.
    Everything covered in a thick glaze though more patchy on concrete. Currently overcast and calm at 0.7c and patchy fog and haze. Unusual morning!

Speak Now wrote: »
    Snowing heavy in Waterford city.

While just down the road it's raining at the airport. Small margins.

METAR EIWF 220900Z VRB03KT 9999 RA BKN018 M00/M01 Q0992=

Still hovering at 0c here and quite a decent frost in Kildare,

Good few chances for snow this weekend coming up it seems according to the ECM and GFS so hopefully ALL will receive some of the white gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

While just down the road it's raining at the airport. Small margins.

Its snowing at the airport.

Belfast Aldergrove
    Snow
    Issued at: Fri 22 Jan 2021 - 05:19 UTC
    Valid from: Fri 22 Jan 2021 - 11:00 UTC
    Valid to: Fri 22 Jan 2021 - 19:00 UTC
    SLIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW SHOWERS ARE FORECAST MAINLY AFTER 1400 GMT, WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO 1CM. SNOW TYPE WET. VISIBILITY IS NOT EXPECTED TO FALL BELOW 600M IN THE SNOWFALL, WITH A MINIMUM VISIBILITY OF 2000M.

Derry Eglinton
    Snow
    Issued at: Fri 22 Jan 2021 - 05:35 UTC
    Valid from: Fri 22 Jan 2021 - 12:00 UTC
    Valid to: Fri 22 Jan 2021 - 18:00 UTC
    SHOWERS OF RAIN AND SNOW MIXED IS LIKELY TO OCCUR AT THE AIRFIELD BUT NO SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED.

Speak Now wrote: »
    Its snowing at the airport.

Maybe just since that report was issued.

Would you look at that! The road from Limavady to Coleraine this morning! :)

F4-D6968-B-4-D56-4-BC3-A874-5-C24-EB723-FF3.jpg

Credit: Aerial Vision NI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Maybe just since that report was issued.

Is it an auto metar? Doubt there is an observer at the station?

Is it an auto metar? Doubt there is an observer at the station?

It's a manned report. The tower controllers are trained observers. It's likely that it just turned to snow after 9 am. We'll see in the 09:30 report.

These were the last 4 reports. They are automated overnight when the tower is not manned.

http://www.flywaterford.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29&Itemid=151
    SAIE99 EIWF 220900

SAIE99 EIWF 220830
    METAR EIWF 220830Z 34003KT 9999 SCT025 M01/M02 Q0992=

SAIE99 EIWF 220800
    METAR EIWF 220800Z 00000KT CAVOK M03/M03 Q0992=

SAIE99 EIWF 220730
    METAR EIWF 220730Z AUTO 00000KT 5000 BR NCD M02/M03 Q0991=

• Advertisement

It's a manned report. The tower controllers are trained observers. It's likely that it just turned to snow after 9 am. We'll see in the 09:30 report.

Curious question. If it’s a very wet snow what does it be put down as in a manned report?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Showers will turn increasing to snow today especially across Ulster with accumulations across parts of the northwest and north tonight. Latest traffic cameras show snow on the Coleraine Mountain road and Barnesmore Donegal have snow on them this morning also.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Curious question. If it’s a very wet snow what does it be put down as in a manned report?

They may, or just put it down as sleet (RASN) in that case.

Strangely, it's still down as rain at 09:30 :confused:

METAR EIWF 220930Z 35004KT 310V030 9999 RA SCT012 BKN019 M00/M00 Q0993 R03/2/////=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭highdef

Not sure if you misread kermit's post or something. He said "There won't be a problem further south." This was in response to you saying "Also the Met office still say that the snow will only lie on high ground. If the snow is already lying to 100 metres and the coldest air isn’t here yet I’m sure that’s a little pessimistic."

Now I am sure Kermit will correct me if I have misread between the lines but my take from your comment is that the (UK) Met Office say that snow will only lie on high ground "in your area* " because they are taking into account the maritime influence that areas near the north coast will be under. Kermit's comment of "There won't be a problem further south" was said because that northern maritime influence won't be a factor further south.

I said "in your area* " because I made the assumption that when you said that the Met Office said that snow will only lie on high ground, you were only referring to your locality as you only ever seem to be interested in your immediate vicinity and nowhere else.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement