Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

And to think Greater Manchester has had up to 136mm of rainfall so far for christoph then to be covered in snow tonight. Pretty harsh stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    There really isn''t anything as visual repulsive than wet slushy slush in a huge metropolitan area like that. Looks momentarily nice while it is falling, but the aftermath looks hellish as it begins to melt.

It’s just not something that interests me. It’s either going to snow and lie properly or it isn’t.

Be interesting to see video from Edinburgh over the next few hours.

Itv news were live in Manchester covering a swolen river and it was snowing heavily,looked like a couple of inches already
    The reporters coat and head were covered too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

There really isn''t anything as visual repulsive than wet slushy slush in a huge metropolitan area like that. Looks momentarily nice while it is falling, but the aftermath looks hellish as it begins to melt.

The main reason I never give a sh*** about these marginal events like today, best case scenario is a few hours of slush that just makes a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

AuntySnow wrote: »
    The reporters coat and head were co eyed too
    Ah the poor things. Having to go outside in the snow and 'report' it because the people there can't see it for themselves.

Vermin.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

The main reason I never give a sh*** about these marginal events like today, best case scenario is a few hours of slush that just makes a mess

Yup just more and more Atlantic Muck it seems. Really need to get these North Easterlies and Easterlies in from Scandinavia and the Continent to bring in the proper goods.

It’s trying to snow here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    It’s just not something that interests me. It’s either going to snow and lie properly or it isn’t.

What are your thoughts on that fairly tasty looking area of precipitation that's making a beeline towards you from the North? Inland Derry is widely below 0° now and going by reports in your general area, I would be thinking that surface winds are not onshore for you at the moment.... Obviously they are higher up though. Do you think lying snow will be the result of what's going to hit you soon?

You look to have had a fair few showers this evening. Have they been rain, sleet, snow, jail, graupel, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Ah so we are turning our nose up at 5-10cm of snow because its wet snow...

Surely 90% of the snow that falls up North (or anywhere in Ireland) is the wet kind too. Can't be too fussy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Ah the poor things. Having to go outside in the snow and 'report' it because the people there can't see it for themselves.

Vermin.

Tell us how you really feel about the lovely meeja :)

The lightest of showers with a few granules of ice just passed over.
    Forecasted precipitation looks to have been well over-cooked for my part of the west, not much of anything coming off the Atlantic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

John.Icy wrote: »

Surely 90% of the snow that falls up North (or anywhere in Ireland) is the wet kind too. Can't be too fussy!

If it doesn't snow in my back garden it doesn't count and sure it wasn't REAL snow anyway and nowhere had snow on the island cause I didn't is a reoccurring theme....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

These current showers are just sleety rain in Letterkenny, some small snowflakes in the mix but melting on contact with the ground

John.Icy wrote: »

I mean I'd take a good NW'erly that gave a proper covering and a snow day but even that seems hard to come by this year. Today only ever looked like a bit of slush that melted as soon as the front moved south yet there's 25 pages of discussion :pac:

Anyway, the showers weren’t sleety in my locale. A slight covering of snow above 600 feet on all surfaces.

Shall I share your messages..

If they were already posted in one of the public chats, you're free to quote them but if you're referring to posting private messages on one of the public chats, you'll find yourself in rather hot water.

Oh, and have you got a reply to my questions at 23:48 @Nqp15hhu as I am genuinely interested in that band of precipitation heading towards you?

These current showers are just sleety rain in Letterkenny, some small snowflakes in the mix but melting on contact with the ground

I mean I'd take a good NW'erly that gave a proper covering and a snow day but even that seems hard to come by this year. Today only ever looked like a bit of slush that melted as soon as the front moved south yet there's 25 pages of discussion :pac:

It is lying here on all surfaces at 600 feet. I am sure 1000 feet+ may have up to 10cm by morning.

There is a milder trough coming in the morning which should be all snow above 300 metres.

Stop giving me DIGS then.

I asked a few genuine questions as you're in what could be a great location for the band of precipitation making landfall North of you soon. Calling that giving you digs is totally inaccurate.

A typically marginal showery set from the west can bring a good covering, even if it is wet, because showers tend to be frequent and heavy enough to keep it topped up for many hours. I recall though back in late November or early December 2017 where such snow showers fell, then partially melted into a total mess, then froze over for days. Couldn't even walk out to the front gate, not mind getting to work, without the real danger of falling on your arse. Really put me off that type of weather as there is zero appeal to it.

New Moon

highdef wrote: »
    I asked a few genuine questions as you're in what could be a great location for the band of precipitation making landfall North of you soon. Calling that giving you digs is totally inaccurate.

It’s a mild trough so it will be rain here but I am watching tomorrow and Friday night. It will be snow here.

It is lying here on all surfaces at 600 feet. I am sure 1000 feet+ may have up to 10cm by morning.

There is a milder trough coming in the morning which should be all snow above 300 metres.

Edit, saw your reply after you posted @Nqp15hhu so removed duplicate question.

Out of interest, is your weather station publicly online? A good few posters here have there's online and some are also on the WOW network. At some stage I plan to get a proper weather station (something not dissimilar to the excellent one you have) and add myself to the WOW network as I'm located in large of void of reporting stations West of Dublin.

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    Edit, saw your reply after you posted @Nqp15hhu so removed duplicate question.

Out of interest, is your weather station publicly online? A good few posters here have there's online and some are also on the WOW network. At some stage I plan to get a proper weather station (something not dissimilar to the excellent one you have) and add myself to the WOW network as I'm located in large of void of reporting stations West of Dublin.

It is 1.5c here, we got down to 0.9c. My dew point and wet bulb are around 0.5c. The trough may start as snow but will quickly turn to rain as freezing levels rise.

The proper cold air will be in by 11pm tomorrow night.

A typically marginal showery set from the west can bring a good covering, even if it is wet, because showers tend to be frequent and heavy enough to keep it topped up for many hours. I recall though back in late November or early December 2017 where such snow showers fell, then partially melted into a total mess, then froze over for days. Couldn't even walk out to the front gate, not mind getting to work, without the real danger of falling on your arse. Really put me off that type of weather as there is zero appeal to it.

Yes as I said, if it freezes or is prolonged it is fine.

Tell us how you really feel about the lovely meeja :)

The lightest of showers with a few granules of ice just passed over.
    Forecasted precipitation looks to have been well over-cooked for my part of the west, not much of anything coming off the Atlantic.

Wasn't expecting anything here and that is exactly what we got. Plenty of cloud though from those decaying showers just to keep the temps in a hovering state just above freezing once again.:rolleyes:

New Moon

I’m not sure if that prolonged precipitation is a trough or a warm sector. But icon shows it hitting here at 7am??

But should be here by 2am if it doesn’t miss me or decay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

An Ri rua wrote: »
    A real wet chill in Tullamore since 12. Pure snow weather. Will be very surprised if we don't get some by evening. High ground outside Tullamore.

I'm very surprised....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Looks like there is a big shower of "rain/snow" incoming for Cork city (well its a big blob of green on the netweather radar). Anyone in NW Cork or North Kerry / Limerick who can look out their window and see which it is please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Its now turning pink! Intrigued....

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Some snow now been picked up by the radar across southern and Eastern parts of Donegal. Some accumulations in places by dawn.

The trough is breaking up. I am going to bed, the main event for me is Thursday evening-Saturday.

No lying snow at low levels tonight. Dunno why we always have these annoying mild troughs coming down in our area, specifically.

• Advertisement

Decent sized shower passing over Omagh and surrounding areas at the moment and conditions look favourable for snow, going by local reports. Plenty more showers upstream so I reckon there'll be at least a dusting to wake up to in this area.

..... Other areas too, in the North and Northwest. I just highlighted Omagh as an urban and decently populated location. Looks like a fair few places in the North and Northwest will have at least a sugar coating in the morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement