Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    I meant a proper easterly/north-easterly with air originating from Russia/Scandinavia. That easterly earlier in the month had mild origins from SE Europe and most of Europe was also relatively mild at the time so there wasn't any cold to tap into.
    Fair enough, but I think we both need to face facts. Northerlies and easterlies, the kind we both know and love, are increasingly rare beasts. What was so easily achieved at least a couple of times every winter in bygone days, now only occurs once every 6 to 10 years. I used to be sceptical of the suggestions that the deindustrialization of eastern Europe during the 80s/90ss helped change broad-scale winter synoptic patterns over the Continent, but I am beginning to see that there just might be something to it.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Someone who has been around here as long as you have; should know the obvious reasons as to why.
    I do, and did before long before it occurred.

But anyway, I stand by my earlier comment about 'Atlantic slop'. If that is what it is to those who call it that, then it makes no sense as to why the start getting palpitations if the charts start showing that they might get some. The logic doesn't add up.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

21012309_2112.gif

Euro4 latest for Saturday morning, hopefully tomorrow mornings update will have detail for Sunday morning

Euro4 I generally find useless
    Away from coasts and the Atlantic marine layerI'm sure there will be a bit of temporary cover for some
    I'm fast losing interest in the overall winter picture
    The scamstrat has done nothing of note except confirm We can't really blame the polar vortex for mlld wet winters anymore
    Thats a fallacy
    Our climate/ weather is 99% governed by the north atlantic drift and by being an island splashed by it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Temps on the way down here, 2.5c and the salter has just gone past. I would imagine it'll be snowing here by 3am, if the showers persist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Usually expect rain with this kind of weather...but the angle and timing for the system coming in Saturday could just be enough this time for some places to get some sneachta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    You had a Scandinavian sourced E NE earlier in the month. I don't recall reading reports of 10 foot drifts during it.

If anything the Atlantic muck delivered more snow than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    If anything the Atlantic muck delivered more snow than that.

Slush

It really depends on the initial source of the airmass, and how cold it is there. I have had a good covering of snow out of a 'Polar Maritime' sourced airmass from eastern Canada in the last few years.

I think the colder it is at the source, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

pad199207 wrote: »
    Slush

People in here reported having laying snow for a couple of days from that "slush" . Don't think anywhere even had slush from that Easterly Oneiric mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Rain, sleet and hill snow

You'd soon grow despondent with how dismal our winters are. We cannot even get a decent storm anymore.

I guess we lived through the big snow of 2010 and large snow event of 2018 so we can't complain too much.

Another frustrating set of charts tonight all things considered.

Rain, sleet and hill snow

You'd soon grow despondent with how dismal our winters are. We cannot even get a decent storm anymore.

I guess we lived through the big snow of 2010 and large snow event of 2018 so we can't complain too much.

Another frustrating set of charts tonight all things considered.

I think that could well be the issue nowadays. Since 2010 our expectations have been set through the roof for every following winter since and we are hoping and hoping that it will happen again soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Much colder air mass showing up on the models for Sat evening into Sunday compared to yesterday , Models yesterday were generally showing 850 hPa temps just below freezing with a lot of mixing going on , for Saturday evening into Sunday in general showing -5 ,-6C, as usual the GFS is showing colder, and 2m air temperatures and ground temperatures will be much colder then yesterday. A night time event usually helps that bit also. ECM, ICON has most snowfall in northern counties, GFS W half of the country but probably overdoing the cold, UKMO keeping the snowfall in a line from Galway down to Kilkenny.

1Ot4viX.gif

WHK4c1p.gif

Much colder air mass showing up on the models for Sat evening into Sunday compared to yesterday , Models yesterday were generally showing 850 hPa temps just below freezing with a lot of mixing going on , for Saturday evening into Sunday in general showing -5 ,-6C, as usual the GFS is showing colder, and 2m air temperatures and ground temperatures will be much colder then yesterday. A night time event usually helps that bit also. ECM, ICON has most snowfall in northern counties, GFS W half of the country but probably overdoing the cold, UKMO keeping the snowfall in a line from Galway down to Kilkenny.

1Ot4viX.gif

WHK4c1p.gif

Looks fairly good to me. We just need the showers to be frequent or persistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The airmass itself won't be that much colder. It's surface cooling that will be key during Saturday evening. The airmass for Saturday night is actually a regurgitation of Christopher, with the warm sector looping back west and the south again over Ireland.

We need that cooling.

540275.gif

Already 1.8c and the colder air hasn’t arrived yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

The airmass itself won't be that much colder. It's surface cooling that will be key during Saturday evening. The airmass for Saturday night is actually a regurgitation of Christopher, with the warm sector looping back west and the south again over Ireland.

We need that cooling.

540275.gif

Where do you reckon that warm sector will make landfall?

It pretty much overspreads the whole country, from the northwest.

540278.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

OS8U1eV.gif

ECU1-72_sei5.GIF

ECU0-72_yyh8.GIF

The precipitation has turned to snow here already. Unexpected.

https://streamable.com/jg8j38

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^

where be that??

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

Looks like Sleet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

That's a miserable effort at snow :pac:

mcburns07 wrote: »
    That's a miserable effort at snow :pac:

The cold air hasn’t even arrived yet, the last shower was rain.

So it bodes very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

:D:D:D We ought to make a snow addict thread for our northern friend:D Dedication to the cause, fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭typhoony

Sunday Morning in the South East inland could get some of the white stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭typhoony

area of precipitation off the galway coast right now, will it turn to snow as it moves inland or is it still too mild?

Snow event on the early hours of Sunday. Still too far out to know who will get the snow. But at the moment, Donegal looks best situated.

Freezing levels are 200m or less over all of Ulster. So should guarantee snow (as models show now).

Could be less marginal this time around as the depression forms amongst an area of cold air, and the warm sector fills as it heads east.

GLihSry.png
    dIQ5tAs.png
    gGzOwCU.png
    rkaLtuQ.png
    kSRn1On.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

typhoony wrote: »
    area of precipitation off the galway coast right now, will it turn to snow as it moves inland or is it still too mild?

still too mild I reckon, temperatures are above freezing almost everywhere including areas under clear skies. Showers on western coasts may turn wintry before dawn but unlikely this side of midnight.

• Advertisement

540284.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement