Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Nothing but rain (and a fair amount of it) in Wicklow Town too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Big differences in the radar images. Netweather shows a heavy band of precip over west Wicklow, moving into Dublin, while the MetÉ radar shows a very light area of precip in the same area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1351894701205573632?s=20

Prolonged wintry showers for inland Munster and south Leinster later tonight on the wrap-around from Cristoph?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Rougies wrote: »
    Big differences in the radar images. Netweather shows a heavy band of precip over west Wicklow, moving into Dublin, while the MetÉ radar shows a very light area of precip in the same area.

The MetE radar doesn't do well in snowfall, always under-represents the intensity for some reason, I wonder is it specific to the hardware used whereas UK radar handles it better? :confused:

2.9c and very light sleet here near Arklow
    Wind is Nw,more or less calm at 5kmh
    Wet bulb is 1.6c
    Dewpoint is 0.2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Danno wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1351894701205573632?s=20

Prolonged wintry showers for inland Munster and south Leinster later tonight on the wrap-around from Cristoph?

We've missed out on an event by very small margins this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Danno wrote: »
    The MetE radar doesn't do well in snowfall, always under-represents the intensity for some reason, I wonder is it specific to the hardware used whereas UK radar handles it better? :confused:

Yeah it's strange, I think it's something to do with the Dublin radar. I know the UK network doesn't use the Dublin radar, only Shannon. Looking back on MetÉ's radar today, there's definitely some issues with Dublin radar, you can see the banding and huge gaps. Might be interference issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The next snow event is snow showers in Ulster Thursday night onwards....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rain just about clearing here now in Dunshaughlin. Should be mostly dry here now for the next few days. Ground is absolutely saturated so a few dry days and some frost will do the ground some good.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

we have flakes at D14. Lets goooooooo :D

• Advertisement

Snowing here now incidentally, wet flakes.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The next snow event is snow showers in Ulster Thursday night onwards....

There could be snow showers anywhere over the next few days but there will be sleet and rain as well including in Ulster.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

TTLF wrote: »
    we have flakes at D14. Lets goooooooo :D

Precipitation is light now in Dublin 16, but am seeing (wet) flakes. 2.8c atm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

There could be snow showers anywhere over the next few days but there will be sleet and rain as well including in Ulster.

That’s not true. Dew points are as low as -3c on Friday, with freezing levels <400 metres.

Snowing here now incidentally, wet flakes.

A lot more flakes here but It's still sleet

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Timistry

Snow falling on the Comeraghs and Slievenamon. Currently 3.5C outside Clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

That’s not true. Dew points are as low as -3c on Friday, with freezing levels <400 metres.

I think Kermit means even coastal areas of Ulster may see some showers of just rain and sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Mainly (light) rain/sleet here in D14

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

MOD NOTE

I think what you meant to say was you don't agree with that , in your opinion the dew points will be around -3 and freezing levels below 400 meters so you would expect snow .

Saying its not true , is not the correct way to get YOUR opinion across

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Sleet getting that bit heavier here with a flake or two of snow thrown in for good measure. 15.5mm of rain recorded thus far. Temp 2.5c WB 2.4c Just on the wrong side of marginal as is mostly the case.

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement

He's right if you take the GFS forecast at face value (it has dew points sub -5 further south toward the weekend) but when it comes to DPs especially, from my experience with all the models, is that it's always a good policy to add a couple of degrees.

Seems likely there will be snow showers for many from time to time but it's not a particularly frigid airmass - temperatures are universally a few degrees above freezing by day for the next 4 or 5 days with night time temperatures a few degrees below freezing away from immediate windward coasts.

My thinking is night time snow, morning thaw type scenario with an occasional top up possible by day.

Nothing spectacular but we'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Grogu1983

light snow just started in Tinahely wicklow

It's frustrating how close we were to a real snow event here. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭esposito

Starting to turn to snow here in Sandyford, Dublin 16

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Nothing but rain in Carlow town as expected, temp around 3 degrees all day

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Snowing and starting to stick just outside kockananna

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

esposito wrote: »
    Starting to turn to snow here in Sandyford, Dublin 16

Some heavier precipitation, with better flakes, now in (my part of) Dublin 16. 2.5c atm.

Grogu1983 wrote: »
    light snow just started in Tinahely wicklow

I'm getting scared,I can practically see it from here :D
    Thats a lot of populated areas seeing snow now which puts this not at the bottom of events

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It's frustrating how close we were to a real snow event here. :(

Next few hours look like ok chance in southeast Leinster....unfortunately I think we are out of the action here, too far north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Light rain since about 10 00am in Shankill D18. Feels colder out now than earlier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement