Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Regarding JK Rowling all she said was that women have periods and trans people dont which is technically TRUE and shes villified for it. They really need to pay more attention at biology class the wokies are more than stupid they are deluded,.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

So you think the word should be just banned ?
    you act like it's problematic that white people will use it themselves ???
    what does that mean ?

No problem using it so long as context is ok ..

It's like parents telling off their children for cursing and at the same time being constantly effing and blinding in front of them. If you want a word taken out of circulation just don't use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Regarding JK Rowling all she said was that women have periods and trans people dont which is technically TRUE and shes villified for it. They really need to pay more attention at biology class the wokies are more than stupid they are deluded,.

Real men have periods too.

yes they do periods of depression & elation but they dont use sanitary towels or tampons for these periods so dont be an arse ! You unnderstand what i am saying ........ but you are trying to be clever & get some likes obviously a wokie.....they are everywhere like insects and ****e !

yes they do periods of depression & elation but they dont use sanitary towels or tampons for these periods so dont be an arse ! You unnderstand what i am saying ........ but you are trying to be clever & get some likes obviously a wokie.....they are everywhere like insects and ****e !

Or.....I was being sarcastic... ;)

• Advertisement

So you think the word should be just banned ?
    you act like it's problematic that white people will use it themselves ???
    what does that mean ?

No problem using it so long as context is ok ..

Nope. It's a traditionally racist word, and it should be taught as being a negative word. For everyone. The same way any polite person would avoid using a variety of curses which are seen as being going too far.

I don't think any word should be banned.

Or.....I was being sarcastic... ;)

You were indeed being sarcastic, aren't you just great no wonder the world is fcuked if you are the up and coming sarcastic generation !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I was surprised when I came to this part of the world that Paki is considered an offensive/racist term. Back home it was simply a slang term for Pakistani in the same way that Aussie was for Australian. It was normal to hear it on the radio or TV when people were talking about the Pakistani cricket team. I have been called out a few times when I have used it in Ireland or the UK (by white people) even though I was simply referring to something Pakistani.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What's the problem with nitty gritty??

Perhaps it means one can't get into the nuance of anything anymore because it would paint a different picture one is trying to paint.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I was surprised when I came to this part of the world that Paki is considered an offensive/racist term. Back home it was simply a slang term for Pakistani in the same way that Aussie was for Australian. It was normal to hear it on the radio or TV when people were talking about the Pakistani cricket team. I have been called out a few times when I have used it in Ireland or the UK (by white people) even though I was simply referring to something Pakistani.
    Where are you from?
    I heard the same from a mate whose dad is Arab, he was happily saying it for a while when he got here. He blames the Brits for ruining it. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The FNG wrote: »
    They've gone after Beethoven? But Beethoven was black...

I thought he was brown and white, and adorable.

You were indeed being sarcastic, aren't you just great no wonder the world is fcuked if you are the up and coming sarcastic generation !

I don’t think I fall into the ‘up and coming’ category.

Where are you from?
    I heard the same from a mate whose dad is Arab, he was happily saying it for a while when he got here. He blames the Brits for ruining it. :P

NZ. I still use it. I'm not letting the racists/Brits win :D

NZ. I still use it. I'm not letting the racists/Brits win :D

I suspect we all have one or two words which are socially unacceptable now.

For myself, I still use the word "retard" in regards to extreme stupidity/ignorance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

We certainly suffer because of them ! !:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I guess that it proves that's not so much the word itself but the context and the intent of it's use that's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Fluppen wrote: »
    Every time a term or phrase is banned for being racist or offensive I have to look up why it would be considered racist or offensive (except for some of the most obvious ones). Surely I'm not alone in this?
    Is it really up to every person to figure out all terms, phrases and words that may be offensive to someone or some group and then promptly delete them from their vocabulary?

Yeah, I'd be the same a lot of the time. Like, I don't understand the cakewalk one and havent looked it up.

There doesn't seem to be a consideration for evolved language. Too much concern on historic rather than current meaning.
    But then the opposite can also be true.

Take ****** for example.
    it seems that it's the modern meaning alone that has it as an offensive word. Why can't other "offensive" old words which have evolved to inoffensive meanings continue to be used.

Seems like a double standard.

EDIT:
    Boards won't let me write the word for a bundle of twigs used to start a fire....

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Yeah, but for some reason Abo was accepted as being offensive, hey?

Edit:
    Just seen you are from NZ rather than Aus. or OZ as they sometimes call in in NZ :)
    I reckon a fair few Kiwis would not know that Abo was offensive in Aus at the same time many other cultural/national nicknames were still acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Rothko wrote: »
    I guess that it proves that's not so much the word itself but the context and the intent of it's use that's important.
    Intent is being done away with.
    It's perception now, even by someone merely within earshot (ie, percieved to be offensive on behalf of...)

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Intent is being done away with now.
    It's perception now, even by someone merely within earshot (ie, offended on behalf of...)

Or words that happen to sound like other words, even if it's from another language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

ArrBee wrote: »

Take ****** for example.
    it seems that it's the modern meaning alone that has it as an offensive word. Why can't other "offensive" old words which have evolved to inoffensive meanings continue to be used.

Seems like a double standard.

EDIT:
    Boards won't let me write the word for a bundle of twigs used to start a fire....

****** is also a kind of meatball.

Can't even say you live on ****** Hill in Cork on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Speaking of book burning ...

https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1306238849706852355?s=20

Never mind the book burning, the absolute slanderous lies !!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I find that video just so sad.

You're not allowed to have an opinion any more, if the mob doesn't agree with it.

I'm sure JKR isn't losing much sleep over it all to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Yup, that's where all of this will bring society.
    Unthinking cheerleaders, take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can these new ultra-liberals not see that burning books has been done before?

And how it makes them look?

NIMAN wrote: »

They don't care. They're too self-absorbed.

Yeah but those people were wrong, these people are certain they're right.

ArrBee wrote: »
    Yeah, but for some reason Abo was accepted as being offensive, hey?

Edit:
    Just seen you are from NZ rather than Aus. or OZ as they sometimes call in in NZ :)
    I reckon a fair few Kiwis would not know that Abo was offensive in Aus at the same time many other cultural/national nicknames were still acceptable.

I didn't know that Abo was considered offensive. It's a term I use. I'll have to tell my Aussie mates that. They'll probably tell me to **** off 😆

Speaking of book burning ...

https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1306238849706852355?s=20

Never mind the book burning, the absolute slanderous lies !!
    Ah the Old Communist Fascist, Nazi Fascist Look ! ! !

A great way to show the World that you are Wrong ! ! !

• Advertisement

They obviously have No Education and Certainly No Historical Education. Totalitarian Communists and Totalitarian Fascists are those that Burn Books ! !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement