Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

https://twitter.com/planetjedward/status/1305834661281697792?s=20

Look at these absolute morons, do they even know what JK Rowling said ?

And yeah - book burning , that's a great bloody look!!!
    I wouldn't even burn a bible!!

If JK Rowling was the “ In Thing “ with the ‘ Wokers ‘ at the moment they would be Lauding her from the Roof Tops !

Anyone that thinks these two morons ever had an original thought is greatly deluded !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 sheepskin1234

Adding pronouns on a bio or sig is dumb. Anyone I see who does it, I view as dumb.

Are we supposed to all be fearful of offending someone for saying something we assume?

What's next, adding that you're vegan so meat eaters will make sure not to ask if you wanted a ham sandwich at the cafe.

THE BBC have banned sports commentators from using "racist" phrases including cakewalk, sold down the river and nitty gritty.

In an 'avoiding racial bias' training session, commentators and co-commentators were given a list of terms that must be avoided.

The Daily Mail reports that in the online training session staff were instructed to stop using "pace" and/or "power" to describe black players.

Adama Traore and Michail Antonio are among the Premier League stars regularly praised for these athletic attributes.

In comparison, lighter-skinned players will be more likely to be celebrated for intelligence, work rate and quality.

Shocking stuff really. Do these fools not realise genetic differences? Or are the 100m sprints just racist towards white people?

Adama Traore is one of the fastest players in the world and he's built like an absolute tank. Antonio is one of the most powerful and strong players aerially and is also strong as an ox.

Soon blackout blinds will be called lightout blinds or some other ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

THE BBC have banned sports commentators from using "racist" phrases including cakewalk, sold down the river and nitty gritty.

In an 'avoiding racial bias' training session, commentators and co-commentators were given a list of terms that must be avoided.

The Daily Mail reports that in the online training session staff were instructed to stop using "pace" and/or "power" to describe black players.

Adama Traore and Michail Antonio are among the Premier League stars regularly praised for these athletic attributes.

In comparison, lighter-skinned players will be more likely to be celebrated for intelligence, work rate and quality.

Shocking stuff really. Do these fools not realise genetic differences? Or are the 100m sprints just racist towards white people?

Adama Traore is one of the fastest players in the world and he's built like an absolute tank. Antonio is one of the most powerful and strong players aerially and is also strong as an ox.

Yeah, skyout blinds or some ****... it’s like almost as if a whole ethnic group are attempting to take ownership of words, of the English language.

Before this covid shîtshow I was thinking about buying a car.. Will I be allowed to purchase a car if I said... “can I have the black hatchback model, black leather executive interior please.”.. will that now be racist, ?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fluppen

Every time a term or phrase is banned for being racist or offensive I have to look up why it would be considered racist or offensive (except for some of the most obvious ones). Surely I'm not alone in this?
    Is it really up to every person to figure out all terms, phrases and words that may be offensive to someone or some group and then promptly delete them from their vocabulary?

• Advertisement

And what's so bad about the N word? Why do people say "the N word"?

Rappers say the word the whole time.

If someone says "the N word" then the person you're talking to knows the word you're talking about, why not just say it?

You don't hear anyone say "He called me the F word when they saw me with another man"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

And what's so bad about the N word? Why do people say "the N word"?

Rappers say the word the whole time.

If someone says "the N word" then the person you're talking to knows the word you're talking about, why not just say it?

You don't hear anyone say "He called me the F word when they saw me with another man"

Because it appears context is finished.

They are taking the "To kill a mockingbird" book off the Junior Cert cycle - the irony , one of the great anti racist works, very frightening that they want to remove people's own ability for critical thought.

edit back to "the n word" and context.
    I remember seeing some CNN/abc/some American news network anchor on the air, a white woman in her 30s, and she started crying, as apparently she had heard or read "nigger" in a non racist context.

Either :

1. She is acting - so insincere and frightening that she would go to these lengths to virtue signal - sociopathic behaviour, or maybe she is afraid that if she doesn't act this way she will face a backlash - rather like when a North Korean leader dies and the population are breaking down crying on the streets ...

2. She is genuinely getting this upset - which tells me she has no understanding of context and is completely and utterly brainwashed - Voldemort syndrome.

Either way, it's not looking good, and as universities are rife with this , what the hell will the kids in university now (that are the politicians in 15/20 years time) be like ??

be interesting to see what happens with my above post, I once got a warning / card on boards for using it in a non racist context.
    So it appears even here we have lost the meaning of context!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yes, you can't say the " " word in any context now.

The BBC got in trouble a while back for saying it on the news in relation to a crime.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/aug/06/bbc-receives-18000-complaints-after-repeating-n-word-allegedly-used-in-attack

The funny thing is being the BBC they prolly decided to report it to expose racism but got in trouble themselves.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Cordell

Is the c-word banned yet? Can a black person ask for c******s? Or are the whites expected to be so much stronger than blacks and not to be hurt by words?

• Advertisement

None of that is racist. Somebody who WAS racist, Adolf Hitler went off on similar fuçkwitted tangents, suppressing free speech, language etc, now in 2020 we have a national broadcaster saying to indigenous individuals of their country that they are prohibited from using language used in the dictionary and that has been an inoffensive definition for centuries...

Oxford Languages describes ‘nitty gritty’ as....’the most important aspects or practical details of a subject or situation’.

Nothing remotely racist..

Oxford Languages is the world’s leading dictionary publisher, with over 150 years of experience creating and delivering authoritative dictionaries globally in more than 50 languages......

What we have here is a bunch of thin skinned sneaky wánkbag charlatans attempting to hijack words and in-fact a whole language to suit their own narrative, a la Hitler... not going to happen..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

be interesting to see what happens with my above post, I once got a warning / card on boards for using it in a non racist context.
    So it appears even here we have lost the meaning of context!

Should be fine as long as no one “reports” you, H.

Personally, I’d always recommend erring on the side of “caution” when it comes to that, particular, word.

Good luck either way.

The tide is turning…

Should be fine as long as no one “reports” you, H.

Personally, I’d always recommend erring on the side of “caution” when it comes to that, particular, word.

Good luck either way.

I'm confident sense will prevail here, since this is what this thread is all about.

But you're right, I'd always be very cautious of using that word elsewhere - really cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Only a ginger can call another ginger ginger.

The way the rappers are using it is getting out of hand too..

What's the problem with nitty gritty??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

People will have fingers pointed at them for being offensive and or racist when using terms that they never knew were offensive to begin with !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

What's the problem with nitty gritty??

I attempted to read an article explaining why it’s - shudder - problematic the other day but did not have the energy to get more than a paragraph and a half in. It seemed convoluted. If it’s not immediately apparent that a word has certain connotations, then surely it’s fine to use?

I was surprised to learn in the last year that the term ‘uppity’ will raise eyebrows in some Americans. It has racial connotations there. But here in Ireland, it doesn’t so I won’t stop using it.

There are probably two gobaloons somewhere sat discussing what word next to enter in to the fake offensive catalog... hmm ‘reindeer’... look up the dictionary definition... it’s a horned animal.. yadda yadda but the wokies wish to get attention and to get outraged,

How about ’ Hypocrite Privilege ‘ ~ ~ ~ There has to be a lot of that about ! !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

"Theories suggest the expression originally referred to the detritus found in the bottom of boats once a shipment of slaves had been removed from the hold, and was eventually stretched to refer to the slaves themselves."

But it then goes on to say that there's no written record of it's usage during the slave trade times, and the first mention was long after the slave trade was abolished. Seems to boil down to "nit" - being an egg of the louse, a parasitic insect rife in slaves, and "grit" being coarse ground grain which was used to barely feed the slaves, so both the nits and grits would be on the floor of the slave area.

In other words, a load of bull!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was hoping there would be some sort of revolt against all this nonsense, but alas no, it appears to be continuing unabated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mochadoh

Just let them do there thing lol

Time to go after “ Woke-ism Privilege "

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Today it's Beethoven. His classic 5th Symphony to be precise.
    ......wealthy white men who embraced Beethoven and turned his symphony into a symbol of their superiority and importance. For others — women, LGBTQ+ people, people of color — Beethoven’s symphony may be predominantly a reminder of classical music’s history of exclusion and elitism.
    https://www.vox.com/switched-on-pop/21437085/beethoven-5th-symphony-elitist-classism-switched-on-pop?utm_campaign=vox&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

I don't see how they can claim LGBTQ+ people could be included in this exclusion as anyone could be of that nature, i.e a wealthy white man could be gay and have feelings of superiority. Like I do.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Today it's Beethoven. His classic 5th Symphony to be precise.

https://www.vox.com/switched-on-pop/21437085/beethoven-5th-symphony-elitist-classism-switched-on-pop?utm_campaign=vox&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

I don't see how they can claim LGBTQ+ people could be included in this exclusion as anyone could be of that nature, i.e a wealthy white man could be gay and have feelings of superiority. Like I do.

“ Woke Privilege “ is the Privilege of Not Having to Make Any Sense ! !:eek:

The way the rappers are using it is getting out of hand too..

If it was just the rappers, then it wouldn't be quite so bad, but many Black people (males and females) call each other "N****". Friends or strangers, it's apparently acceptable to call another Black person a N. I find it happening a lot with African students in China, who use the N word very casually, especially in group conversations.

I don't quite understand how they expect White people to accept conditioning that the N word is awful, when we hear Black people use it themselves. I know it's a double standard, but it's application is only going to make later White generations, more likely to use it themselves.

If it was just the rappers, then it wouldn't be quite so bad, but many Black people (males and females) call each other "N****". Friends or strangers, it's apparently acceptable to call another Black person a N. I find it happening a lot with African students in China, who use the N word very casually, especially in group conversations.

I don't quite understand how they expect White people to accept conditioning that the N word is awful, when we hear Black people use it themselves. I know it's a double standard, but it's application is only going to make later White generations, more likely to use it themselves.

So you think the word should be just banned ?
    you act like it's problematic that white people will use it themselves ???
    what does that mean ?

No problem using it so long as context is ok ..

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

latest woke ism gesture / woman's soccer team taking the bloody knee...... why oh why its not our fight we were oppressed too by the Brits for 800 years. We have our own grudges.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Lecturers in the USA have published an article in an journal about:

Development and Validation of the Awareness of Privilege and Oppression Scale–2

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2158244019853906?utm_medium=email&utm_content=0A01497&utm_campaign=not+tracked&utm_term=&em=c2bdd17e1586e8dfb8bbe94f84966391fb4fd03c47ff8d33b413b81863a6d3ae&utm_source=adestra

Abstract
    The two studies presented describe the revision process that led to the development of the Awareness of Privilege and Oppression Scale–2 (APOS-2) and efforts to evaluate the new measure’s reliability and construct validity. In Study 1, a 26-item measure was developed from data gathered from a sample of 484 undergraduate students. An exploratory factor analysis suggested a four-factor solution made up of awareness of racism, sexism, heterosexism, and classism was appropriate. In Study 2, confirmatory factor analysis suggested the proposed hierarchical four-factor solution was the best available fit of the data using a second sample of 520 undergraduate students. The observed Cronbach alpha reliability estimates for the final 26-item total score and subscale scores in the two presented studies were as follows: Total score (.89, .88), Awareness of Heterosexism (.82, .82), Awareness of Sexism (.76, .76), Awareness of Classism (.81, .82), and Awareness of Racism (.84, .80).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement