Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I had a friend who has gone off the woke deep end say something similar lately. She said “I don’t agree with gender reveal parties because that might not be how the child identifies”.

My response was “But even if the baby identities differently, what does it matter? They’re not aware of the party at the time it’s happening. They’re not going to get offended about something they had no awareness of.” That stumped her.

I was pretty blunt but the conversation happened at the end of a very long hospital visit she had accompanied me on and I was in no humour for listening to hand-wringing about such a non-issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

I thought Trevor Noah was sensible.

"The damage it can do"...

I thought Trevor Noah was sensible.

"The damage it can do"...

I rarely listen to him because his way of enunciating annoys me. :o

The South African accent isn't the easiest on the ear.

The South African accent isn't the easiest on the ear.

Yeah, like, sorry to any South Africans who may be reading but the accent is a brainfuck. I hate it. It doesn’t know what it wants to be. English? Dutch? Australian?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Afrikaans? More like Afri can't

Yeah, like, sorry to any South Africans who may be reading but the accent is a brainfuck. I hate it. It doesn’t know what it wants to be. English? Dutch? Australian?
    Think it's a hybrid of English, Dutch and that of the indigenous people.

Afrikaans? More like Afri can't

I am HERE for this Dad-tastic joke.

That’s why it sounds so confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

As seen frequently on social media...

#My outrage trumps reality - you sexist / bigot / racist / hater (or wtte) ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

There is a certain Aussie accent that sounds exactly like the SA accent as well.

There is a certain Aussie accent that sounds exactly like the SA accent as well.
    Even moreso NZ imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Supposedly borat 2 film being made . Wonder how woke it will be

It will require actor of chocolate face like Edward Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Even moreso NZ imo.

Your a little hard to read, but why is Ennio Moriconi cancelled?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxvD3CpB3l4

You've lost me but I love that you've linked to one of my favourite toons!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Here the criteria.
    You need to two to get nominated:

1. On-screen acting and storylines, "including at least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group"
    2. Creative leadership positions, departmental heads and crew composition
    3. Paid apprenticeships, internships and training
    4. Audience development, from publicity and marketing to distribution

My issue is these are so vague as to be meaningless. Underrepresented racial or ethnic group? Considering most Hollywood actors are American, then would an Irishman tick the box here?
    So then it's a pointless exercise and Twitter will use it as a stick to beat the Academy with.

Oh now you need at least two black actors, and Naomi Harris black, not Beyonce black.

I won't be happy until we have representation from the trans gay disabled Australian aborigine community. :rolleyes:

This is essentially the problem , I remember saying this sarcastically to someone about the gender "pay gap" that you can't keep it as simple as M/F if you use ID politics, eventually lots more identities will be added ..
    The left are allready eating each other over this, introducing black females to the pay graph too...

Crazy, will companies eventually have to have something like .....

2.5% Straight white males
    2.5% Straight white females
    2.5% Straight black males
    2.5% Straight black females
    2.5% Gay white males
    2.5% Gay white females
    2.5% Gay black males ...

2.5% Trans muslim disabled women of colour ....

Laugh but it looks like we are heading that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It amazes if not shocks me the number of ppl who think the new Oscars rules are no big deal.

It doesn't matter what way you look at it the implication is that (to make an extreme case to show an obvious point) that the worst movie of the year could get the best movie award and the actual best movie not even a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

AllForIt wrote: »
    It amazes if not shocks me the number of ppl who think the new Oscars rules are no big deal.

It doesn't matter what way you look at it the implication is that (to make an extreme case to show an obvious point) that the worst movie of the year could get the best movie award and the actual best movie not even a mention.

That wouldn’t be something new.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I was looking at the profile of a user on a popular platform there recently, the person has ‘He/Him/His’.

Just in case there was any confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I was looking at the profile of a user on a popular platform there recently, the person has ‘He/Him/His’.

Oh there's plenty of confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

>99% of the time there isn't. Trans people receive a disproportionate amount of solidarity from some (which is all the 'he/him' thing is) because they receive a disproportionate amount of hatred from others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

On the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks in the United states, Rte posted a news story titled " 39 million refugees since the start of the Us war on terror"

They could have posted that story any other time of the year but decided to go with today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

On the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks in the United states, Rte posted a news story titled " 39 million refugees since the start of the Us war on terror"

They could have posted that story any other time of the year but decided to go with today.

The anniversary of the start of their 'war on terror'? Seems as appropriate as any other day.

.anon. wrote: »
    The anniversary of the start of their 'war on terror'? Seems as appropriate as any other day.

Indeed, far more impactful today. Might get people to actually stop and think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I won't be happy until we have representation from the trans gay disabled Australian aborigine community. :rolleyes:

This is essentially the problem , I remember saying this sarcastically to someone about the gender "pay gap" that you can't keep it as simple as M/F if you use ID politics, eventually lots more identities will be added ..
    The left are allready eating each other over this, introducing black females to the pay graph too...

Crazy, will companies eventually have to have something like .....

2.5% Straight white males
    2.5% Straight white females
    2.5% Straight black males
    2.5% Straight black females
    2.5% Gay white males
    2.5% Gay white females
    2.5% Gay black males ...

2.5% Trans muslim disabled women of colour ....

Laugh but it looks like we are heading that way.

Could happen, there are people who want it to happen. If I'm running a business my thoughts and intention as I’ve said before to hire the best and most suitable candidate for the job for the benefit of the business, the existing staff and the customers, especially the customers.

I couldn’t give two flying rich tea biscuits if your accent is from Navan or Nairobi, Bayside or Beirut, I’m hiring a reliable performer, reliable personality with good solid verifiable references. I don’t care what you look like, sound like, what color your passport or face is, good enough, you’ll get hired, good enough but others better, it’s “ thanks for applying but sorry, can we contact you if a position becomes vacant in future?”

You owe every candidate and customers as well as every existing member of staff to hire the best candidate. Decided by what they say, prove, references etc... NOT the color of a passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Indeed, far more impactful today. Might get people to actually stop and think.

That's the American government you are thinking of

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Hardly Eoghan McDermott?

Actually, it probably was

Remembered who it was now. Sam Boland was the guys name.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Politicians are liars by nature,

is it that younger people can't see that?

Is that why they get so angry? We took it for granted years ago, so I think a class on lying as a profession = politics might be an option.

Remembered who it was now. Sam Boland was the guys name.
    Knew him a tiny bit years ago as I worked in the same place as him. Seemed sound back then but I would probably have been impressed by that critical theory stuff back then too (although not to the extent of deeming Friends to deserve all those labels).

Saw him comment to a Waterford Whispers item one time that it was demonising the working class. How about extremely middle class people let working class people speak for themselves - they don't need a saviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement