Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

ArrBee wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd be the same a lot of the time. Like, I don't understand the cakewalk one and havent looked it up.
    https://digitalgallery.bgsu.edu/student/exhibits/show/race-in-us/african-americans/appropriation
    The cakewalk began as an appropriation of white ballroom dancing by black slaves in the South as an exaggerated parody of ballroom dances, such as the waltz, which were favored by white elites. The music that accompanied cakewalks had distinctly African American rhythms and syncopation. White slaveowners, flattered rather than offended by these spectacles, helped to spread and popularize these African American appropriations of ballroom dancing. After the Civil War, whites began to perform cakewalks as part of their minstrelsy repertoire. Whites performed in blackface, ridiculing and celebrating life on the plantation. As cakewalks became more and more popular among the general public, they travelled from American shores to be appropriated once again by Europeans....
    so, so much cultural appropriation, no wonder it's found itself blacklisted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Speaking of book burning ...

https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1306238849706852355?s=20

Never mind the book burning, the absolute slanderous lies !!

Yes but book burning is only bad when fascists are doing it. No hypocrisy in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

What's the problem with nitty gritty??

The etymology according to Online Etymology Dictionary (https://www.etymonline.com/word/nitty-gritty#etymonline_v_6974) :
    nitty-gritty (n.)
    "basic facts of a situation or problem," by 1961, knitty-gritty, American English, said to have been chiefly used by black jazz musicians, perhaps ultimately from nit and grits "finely ground corn." As an adjective from 1966.

I can't understand the objection. Could it be the mere fact that it's a term originally used by African-Americans that now makes it "problematic"? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Strumms wrote: »
    Yeah, skyout blinds or some ****... it’s like almost as if a whole ethnic group are attempting to take ownership of words, of the English language.

Before this covid shîtshow I was thinking about buying a car.. Will I be allowed to purchase a car if I said... “can I have the black hatchback model, black leather executive interior please.”.. will that now be racist, ?
    I was painting the other day and decided I didn't like the colour when it was on and went over it with white. Is this bad?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Antares35 wrote: »
    I was painting the other day and decided I didn't like the colour when it was on and went over it with white. Is this bad?
    Sounds like White Privilege to me. Give yourself a flogging with a non white coloured whip please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Sky Blue 20

Antares35 wrote: »

So you're not Mick Jagger then.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I didn't know that Abo was considered offensive. It's a term I use. I'll have to tell my Aussie mates that. They'll probably tell me to **** off ��

I lived in Aussie for a while and was told a few times that "ya carnt say that mate"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If it was just the rappers, then it wouldn't be quite so bad, but many Black people (males and females) call each other "N****". Friends or strangers, it's apparently acceptable to call another Black person a N. I find it happening a lot with African students in China, who use the N word very casually, especially in group conversations.

I don't quite understand how they expect White people to accept conditioning that the N word is awful, when we hear Black people use it themselves. I know it's a double standard, but it's application is only going to make later White generations, more likely to use it themselves.

Irish people do the exact same thing with 'Paddy' in fairness. We call ourselves that all the time but woe betide a British person who refers to the Irish as 'Paddies'.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I was surprised when I came to this part of the world that Paki is considered an offensive/racist term. Back home it was simply a slang term for Pakistani in the same way that Aussie was for Australian. It was normal to hear it on the radio or TV when people were talking about the Pakistani cricket team. I have been called out a few times when I have used it in Ireland or the UK (by white people) even though I was simply referring to something Pakistani.

Would you not take the hint the first time, in fairness?

Irish people do the exact same thing with 'Paddy' in fairness. We call ourselves that all the time but woe betide a British person who refers to the Irish as 'Paddies'.

It's not nearly the same thing as the N word... Paddy, for many Irish (myself included) isn't an insult, and I couldn't care less if a British person (or anyone) used the term... and yes, I spent time working in London, with many English people using it around me. Context, and how a word is used is important. If someone uses Paddy in an insulting/demeaning way, then it's pretty obvious that it's meant to be insulting.

Whereas we've all been conditioned to see the N word as being very offensive regardless of how it's used. It's not the same.

• Advertisement

It's not nearly the same thing as the N word... Paddy, for many Irish (myself included) isn't an insult, and I couldn't care less if a British person (or anyone) used the term... and yes, I spent time working in London, with many English people using it around me. Context, and how a word is used is important. If someone uses Paddy in an insulting/demeaning way, then it's pretty obvious that it's meant to be insulting.

Whereas we've all been conditioned to see the N word as being very offensive regardless of how it's used. It's not the same.
    Can you not just identify as Black and fire away. Has’t there been cases of white people identifying as black and living as black.

Sure nowadays you can be a man or a woman so why not Black , White , Yellow , Brown.

If you were a dark skinned white man sure you are miles closer to being a Black Man than to any sort of Woman ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Why? What is insulting about calling a Pakistani a Paki? Which would be worse, referring to a Pakistani cricketer as Indian or Paki?

Why? What is insulting about calling a Pakistani a Paki? Which would be worse, referring to a Pakistani cricketer as Indian or Paki?
    Paki Bonnar was Paki Bonnar and Nobody Batted an Eyelid ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'm not too sure about that, the only time I can recall hearing it as self reference to Irish people from an Irish person was from Enda Kenny - never in normal life.
    Just my recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

The etymology according to Online Etymology Dictionary (https://www.etymonline.com/word/nitty-gritty#etymonline_v_6974) :
    nitty-gritty (n.)
    "basic facts of a situation or problem," by 1961, knitty-gritty, American English, said to have been chiefly used by black jazz musicians, perhaps ultimately from nit and grits "finely ground corn." As an adjective from 1966.

I can't understand the objection. Could it be the mere fact that it's a term originally used by African-Americans that now makes it "problematic"? :confused:

It's a classic tactic used by cults to undermine autonomous decision making and critical thought. The penalties for breaking obscure and irrational rules are so severe that people come to depend entirely on the cult leadership for guidance on 'correct' behaviour and thought. It is intended to impact every aspect of how they express themselves or think about the world.

If you listen to how ex-cult members describe how they became totally brainwashed and dependent on the cult they list lots of seemingly irrational and nonsensical rules they are ordered to follow, like men have to shave in the morning by running the blade down instead of up on their necks. It makes no sense and it is actually more painful but that is the point, once you start to accept leadership authority on the little details of behaviour and language you rapidly begin to lose the ability to act rationally and in your own best interests. The cult membership itself becomes a person, everyone in it is just like a hair on the head of the cult persona. When you speak it is the cult that talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

MoonUnit75 wrote: »

If you listen to how ex-cult members describe how they became totally brainwashed and dependent on the cult they list lots of seemingly irrational and nonsensical rules they are ordered to follow, like men have to shave in the morning by running the blade down instead of up on their necks. It makes no sense and it is actually more painful but that is the point, once you start to accept leadership authority on the little details of behaviour and language you rapidly begin to lose the ability to act rationally and in your own best interests. The cult membership itself becomes a person, everyone in it is just like a hair on the head of the cult persona.
    un huh ....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I'm not too sure about that, the only time I can recall hearing it as self reference to Irish people from an Irish person was from Enda Kenny - never in normal life.
    Just my recall.

Yeah just to back that up I've never come across Irish people 'reclaiming' Paddy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Chris Morris couldn't write some of this stuff.

Am i woke yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Am i woke yet?

You're probably on track for being woke in the next couple of weeks and then cancelled within the following 1.4 years.

• Advertisement

You're probably on track for being woke in the next couple of weeks and then cancelled within the following 1.4 years.
    You are no one until you are cancelled.

It's a classic tactic used by cults to undermine autonomous decision making and critical thought. The penalties for breaking obscure and irrational rules are so severe that people come to depend entirely on the cult leadership for guidance on 'correct' behaviour and thought. It is intended to impact every aspect of how they express themselves or think about the world.

I'd kinda agree... although i think it's more about being a 'victim' cult. When you've focused your whole history, culture, etc around being downtrodden by others, then you need to constantly expand on that victimisation to stay relevant, while at the same time, encouraging the existence of an identifiable enemy. As such the cult persona, or group consciousness despises/condemns anyone who veers away from the victim scenario because it weakens the overall effect. For feminists, the enemy is the male gender. For African Americans, it's white people. A nice generalised enemy without specific form, which can be blamed for all manner of sins.

Double standards are encouraged because it shows their superiority as victims because victims can't be blamed for anything. Ever. They are, who they are, due to external influences beyond their control.
    If you listen to how ex-cult members describe how they became totally brainwashed and dependent on the cult they list lots of seemingly irrational and nonsensical rules they are ordered to follow, like men have to shave in the morning by running the blade down instead of up on their necks. It makes no sense and it is actually more painful but that is the point, once you start to accept leadership authority on the little details of behaviour and language you rapidly begin to lose the ability to act rationally and in your own best interests. The cult membership itself becomes a person, everyone in it is just like a hair on the head of the cult persona. When you speak it is the cult that talks.

Agreed.

blinding wrote: »
    Can you not just identify as Black and fire away. Has’t there been cases of white people identifying as black and living as black.

No idea... can't imagine they'd get away with it, in this modern world of ours.
    Sure nowadays you can be a man or a woman so why not Black , White , Yellow , Brown.

I think you'll find a massive backlash if you tried that.. as a white person trying to show that they're black. I could be wrong... but I suspect, you'd have to be very careful where you were while doing it.
    If you were a dark skinned white man sure you are miles closer to being a Black Man than to any sort of Woman ! !

No idea. I know people who are mixed ethnicity and they've said that they receive a lot of racism from their respective groups. Both Black and white people. It doesn't matter. People will define you based on their own perception of what is black/white...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I was surprised when I came to this part of the world that Paki is considered an offensive/racist term. Back home it was simply a slang term for Pakistani in the same way that Aussie was for Australian. It was normal to hear it on the radio or TV when people were talking about the Pakistani cricket team. I have been called out a few times when I have used it in Ireland or the UK (by white people) even though I was simply referring to something Pakistani.

In my corner of Ireland, 'Paki' was used non-derogatorily too. This was the '80s and '90s. I was from a place with an unusually high Pakistani population for Ireland and everyone used it, included people of Pakistani descent. There was an annual Paddies vs Pakis hurling match. That's what it was called. The term 'half-caste' was also commonplace and not considered a slur. So even within Ireland, there are little pockets where words aren't considered slurs.

Habit and conditioning. I struggle to not use the term 'half-caste' even now because I grew up using it. Words become part of your vocabulary.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

when will wokism end? Most people are fed up wit it & see through it , Its worse than Covid. Liberal lefty ****e is over done and everyone sees this. Move on animals lives matter more than any other lives so smoke that !

Caught a bit of Joe (wash your hands) Duffy today about cervical smear testing for “People with a cervix”. WOKE in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I struggle to not use the term 'half-caste' even now because I grew up using it. Words become part of your vocabulary.

Wait. Half-caste is not OK?

It's really hard to keep up...

Caught a bit of Joe (wash your hands) Duffy today about cervical smear testing for “People with a cervix”. WOKE in the extreme.
    T'would really clog top the waiting lists if all of the Men showed up form their Cervical Smear Test ! !

Joe Duffy would probably do all the Male Ones and ask them how they felt as Joe Rooted around looking for their Cervix. Joe would probably slip something else in while he was at it ! !

ArrBee wrote: »
    Wait. Half-caste is not OK?

It's really hard to keep up...
    Only for when they have taken half the cast off your leg. You were full cast up until that !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,819 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

blinding wrote: »
    T'would really clog top the waiting lists if all of the Men showed up form their Cervical Smear Test ! !

Joe Duffy would probably do all the Male Ones and ask them how they felt as Joe Rooted around looking for their Cervix. Joe would probably slip something else in while he was at it ! !

That’s a hell of an image right there, ohhh merciful hour. :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement