Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio Brief. HELP & ADVICE

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gr8loolz

Ollie182 wrote: »
    Well I rang on Friday last, and they sent me out a little pack with a brochure and booking forms and any info you need really. The deposit is €300 which is refundable if you cancel before the second round offers, with the exception of €30 for administration. I asked if many people had reserved yet, and he said either way it's all reserved for the students closest anyway. Didn't really answer my question, but there ya go!

Edit: Also, the internet is included, but Ive heard its not great.

oh that's cool, sounds pretty straight forward, thanks a million! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dutchygirl

Grove island is meant to be class Craic! I sent in my deposit for accommodation near NCAD! So exciting :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Geraldine Brennan

I'm an old fogie NCAD graduate and I've just joined boards.ie so my posting is probably too late for anyone applying to art college. Reading the threads here on the portfolio prep reminds me of the fear and excitement of putting my portfolio together and wondering if it was enough? what are they looking for? etc.

If you have that lovely fuzzy feeling of really immersing yourself in your work, and that this work is a piece of you, then it usually shows in the work. Don't be afraid to be enthusiastic and expressive about what you love. Get out and go to the end of year shows at the art colleges and the further education art colleges - these will mostly be on in May. Go for it. G

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ollie182

Hi lads, need a dig out! I'm torn between NCAD and LSAD! Anyone have any opinions on either? Why they do or don't like either? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Any Idea what subject you want to specialize in? Both do a core year anyway, but if you have your heart set on a certain subject, both have better reputations in differing areas I think..

Limerick also have a much lower cost of Living, so if money is an issue that's something to factor in, City's also much smaller so its easier to get around and get to know lots of people, there's a strong art scene in both Cities obviously, but again because Limerick is smaller it might be a tad easier to make connections and get out there..

I'm about to graduate, very glad I went there, so I'm a bit biased, but I have friends in NCAD too and they seem happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 sarahonon

Hi , I am a student in ncad. I am willing to give advice to students preparing a portfolio for ncad.Really enjoyed doing mine , I know how confusing it was!It was a lot of work but worth it! email me if you are interested . Mod Snip - send a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 busybee1

Has anyone been offered a place in ncad? and how do they tell you is it by letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Penandpencil

Just a Leaving Cert student looking for a bit of advice on the NCAD brief --

I have all my ideas sorted for my 3 main themes, but I'm stuck on the first hurdle - the mindmaps. I have mindmaps already done, but they are very sketchy, messy, untidy... you get the picture, but they have all the very first ideas that came to me since the brief came out a few months ago.
    My initial step was to flesh-out the mindmaps and make them look all nice and presentable. However, I've been looking at mindmaps for NCAD (ones that have gotten the student through into the College) on google images amongst other places and they pretty much are all still at the sketchy, messy stage! I don't understand. I love to show my ability in everything that I do, but if the mindmaps are meant to be sketchy then maybe..?

Or is it just a case of you doing what feels right? I mean I have plenty of ideas to have my mindmaps look clean and presentable and, well, overall, rather over-done. But is that a bad thing? I mean, surely out-doing yourself or showing your effort and passion isn't a bad thing?

Thanks for any advice, I really need it!

Yeah you're in te right track! Personally, I'd leave it how it is. That's just me. They dot really care about the kind maps to be honest, they just want to get inside your head and see how you think - if you're in the right kind if mind. Keep working on them though, go crazy. Pack sketches in, that said though I've seen mind maps that are solely words. Mine was just words. Concentrate on section b and c more so, I wouldn't get hung up on section a.

That's just me though :)

busybee1 wrote: »
    Has anyone been offered a place in ncad? and how do they tell you is it by letter?

Yeah I have my place. They would have sent you a letter months ago telling you if you were carpets or declined.

If you got it and are a fetac student then you would have been formally offered a place by the cao the other day on 'round 0'.

If you got it and you're waiting on your leaving cert, to see if you got two HC3's you'll, you'll be offered the place on round 1 of the cao late August.

Hope that helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Penandpencil

Ollie182 wrote: »
    Yeah you're in te right track! Personally, I'd leave it how it is. That's just me. They dot really care about the kind maps to be honest, they just want to get inside your head and see how you think - if you're in the right kind if mind. Keep working on them though, go crazy. Pack sketches in, that said though I've seen mind maps that are solely words. Mine was just words. Concentrate on section b and c more so, I wouldn't get hung up on section a.

That's just me though :)

Hi Ollie,
    thanks so much for the reply. I spent the entire day today working on one of my mindmap and I'm finally comfortable with the way I'm doing it. Thanks for the advice, I'll most certainly focus on section b and c a lot more! :D

Hi Ollie,
    thanks so much for the reply. I spent the entire day today working on one of my mindmap and I'm finally comfortable with the way I'm doing it. Thanks for the advice, I'll most certainly focus on section b and c a lot more! :D

No worries, pap!
    Apologies for my spelling, I'm pretty sure I was asleep haha. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lorilow

Messy, untidy , sketchy are good. I got in and believe me I was far from neat and tidy. They want to see ur ideas where they came from how u came up with them. I stuck in almost every sheet I used even backs of envelopes I took notes on. Good luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ficra9661

Hey. So I've decided to start a portfolio for NCAD. I KNOW it's really late to start but I've realized that it the only thing I really want to do! I'll be grateful to any help at all really. So where do I start?? Also how many places are available?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lorilow

ficra9661 wrote: »
    Hey. So I've decided to start a portfolio for NCAD. I KNOW it's really late to start but I've realized that it the only thing I really want to do! I'll be grateful to any help at all really. So where do I start?? Also how many places are available?
    Have you got the brief yet ?If so its all there if not I am sure its on the NCAD web site :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭anomynous

You're not late, I was late! I properly started mine in January to apply the February! I got in though, wasn't the happiest with my portfolio but it got the job done I suppose. Just read through the brief and start with the mind maps. They're the easiest thing to do and let the creative juices flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ficra9661

anomynous wrote: »
    You're not late, I was late! I properly started mine in January to apply the February! I got in though, wasn't the happiest with my portfolio but it got the job done I suppose. Just read through the brief and start with the mind maps. They're the easiest thing to do and let the creative juices flow.

Jesus that is late! I've read through the brief, it's quite complicated, but I think it'll be okay since it's so vague. Should the mind maps be very neat? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭anomynous

Jesus that is late! I've read through the brief, it's quite complicated, but I think it'll be okay since it's so vague. Should the mind maps be very neat? Thanks

The mind-maps can be however you want them to be. Mine were very simple, just quick outlined drawings for each idea. I did them simple as it's just showing all of your different ideas. I didn't want it to distract from my actual work as it's just a lead in to your stuff.

Advertisement