Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio Brief. HELP & ADVICE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 killianfallon

Thank you SO much!!! You have made my DAY :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 PTheArtist

Hey guys!

Does anybody know when the Portfolio Assesment will take place for LSAD? Around what date did you guys have to hand up your portfolio last year? The tutor which I had for my Portfolio course said it's usually around February, and hopefully I will be one of the last people to get my portflio assesed, since I have half a sketchpad and 7 A1 sheets done! D:

And any tips for someone who needs to get more work done quickly (even though you can't rush Art I suppose!) :/

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

PTheArtist wrote: »
    Hey guys!

Does anybody know when the Portfolio Assesment will take place for LSAD? Around what date did you guys have to hand up your portfolio last year? The tutor which I had for my Portfolio course said it's usually around February, and hopefully I will be one of the last people to get my portflio assesed, since I have half a sketchpad and 7 A1 sheets done! D:

And any tips for someone who needs to get more work done quickly (even though you can't rush Art I suppose!) :/

You can find out that info in the LIT prospectus and on their website.
    I think they give each person their own time and date because you bring it in yourself unlike with NCAD.
    I'm not sure when exactly but I think it's not for a good while yet, maybe in 5 weeks or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 PTheArtist

Naomi00 wrote: »
    You can find out that info in the LIT prospectus and on their website.
    I think they give each person their own time and date because you bring it in yourself unlike with NCAD.
    I'm not sure when exactly but I think it's not for a good while yet, maybe in 5 weeks or something.

Yep, I went to their Portfolio Infoirmation Day, and they won't be assessing portfolios until 27th February, and I can get one of the latest dates since I did their Portfolio Course, which is very helpful! :D

So glad that's over :)

Did anyone else here submit their portfolio last week? Also, does the day you hand it in affect your chance of being accepted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 I am

anyone apply to NCAD this week? :D I wonder how many applied...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rainyrain

According to the lsad website, they usually send out letters, within 5weeks of applying to the cao, to ppl applying to them to give them an 'assignment' to do and hand in with the portfolio... I applied in november and I only saw this now... I never got a letter, anyone know anything about this?!? Id love to know please!!!

I brought my portfolio to ncad on thursday :)

Rainyrain wrote: »
    According to the lsad website, they usually send out letters, within 5weeks of applying to the cao, to ppl applying to them to give them an 'assignment' to do and hand in with the portfolio... I applied in november and I only saw this now... I never got a letter, anyone know anything about this?!? Id love to know please!!!

Not sure but I think they mean the CAO closing date, i.e 1st of February. I think the dates are staggered like that between the colleges to give people time to get their stuff together.

Rainyrain wrote: »

what number are you ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rainyrain

Not sure but I think they mean the CAO closing date, i.e 1st of February. I think the dates are staggered like that between the colleges to give people time to get their stuff together.

Thank you :D

And @I Am, I've number 61 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 lecirque

I am wrote: »
    anyone apply to NCAD this week? :D I wonder how many applied...

I brought mine in too on friday :D

I'm number four hundred and thirty something...

Mine was brought in on Friday, I don't live in Dublin and had mocks on so I couldn't go in myself. Does it make a difference what number you are?

lecirque wrote: »
    I brought mine in too on friday :D

I don't have patience for all this waiting :L

I am wrote: »
    I don't have patience for all this waiting :L

Pahah i know .. i'm get jittery just thinking about it :L ! what number are you?

I'm number four hundred and thirty something...

Mine was brought in on Friday, I don't live in Dublin and had mocks on so I couldn't go in myself. Does it make a difference what number you are?
    nono its fine ! im number 219 which just means i pick it up a week earlier , as long as you got the green sheet you should be fine :D

Pahah i know .. i'm get jittery just thinking about it :L ! what number are you?

ye :L dont know how il last until March :( 193 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 killianfallon

nono its fine ! im number 219 which just means i pick it up a week earlier , as long as you got the green sheet you should be fine :D
    I didn't bring the portfolio in myself but my aunt did it for me. I was number 4! She said that when she picked up the portfolio for me, she got a pink sheet, not a green one. Do you think that makes a difference??

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Guysim1993

Handed in my portfolio into LSAD today, and I was so nervous about it! XD Now I have to wait for the letter with the points I got!

Anybody else handed in their portfolio to LSAD, or about to hand their's in? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 steffieheart

i have to bring mine to limerick this week.
    any advice for the written assessment? haven't got a notion what to do

i have to bring mine to limerick this week.
    any advice for the written assessment? haven't got a notion what to do

Try not to get too bogged down about the assignment!

For the first question, I chose Vik Muniz. I chose him because I love portraiture and the last two pages in my portfolio where self-portraits, so I think it's good to show a link between the chosen artist and the work you have done (shows how inspiring they can be!) and just explain why their work has become popular worldwide (for Vik Muniz's portraits using rubbish, I linked how it became so important because of how environmentally conscious the world has become). It seems daunting at first, but it's not that hard!

The second question shouldn't be too hard, as long as you know which piece is your strongest and why. Try picking a piece that shows that you can think outside the box. Your strongest piece would be the sheet which you love looking at the most. If your strongest piece is done in a medium which you were not very familiar with, even better! It shows that you can easily pick up on new techniques! I can't really help you any further with this one, since I don't actually know what your strongest piece is and what it looks like! :P

The last question is probably the easiest to do. Make a list of everything that comes to your head when you ask yourself "Why do I want to go to LSAD?" and pick out the best points to include in your answer. Try and mention what you think makes LSAD stand out from all the other art colleges. Maybe even do a bit of research and find out who the graduated students are and where LSAD has taken them now and how that encourages you to become someone like that (for example, the fashion graduate who now designs clothes for Lady Gaga, I forget her name!) Then onto the qualities you can bring to the college. Maybe mentioned how focused you are with your work, and if you are in sixth year and applying, mention how you have the ability to focus on multiple things all at one time and how you can complete them within a certain time period (time management skills). You could also mention what unique artistic abilities you can bring to LSAD (for example, the ability to work well with multiple different materials and media on the same piece of art).

It's best to get help from a few people if your stuck. Try and get your art teacher, your tutor in your PLC course, friends who are in LSAD or even in other art colleges. They can be very beneficial to you!

And I got my letter back 2 days after I handed in my portfolio and I got 513 out of 600 points! I was so shocked, I am absolutely delighted with myself! :D

• Advertisement

oh my gosh you did so good. Im hoping for in the 400's as im a school leaver and that.
    thanks for all of the great advice hopefully i will see you in september as you have to get in.

Thank you! I was hoping to get around the 400's too. XD

And yes, I will see you in September! You'll do brilliantly, don't worry! :)

thanks for the support :D
    ...but still so nervous

No problem ;)

I know how nervous I can be! At least there isn't a massive wait for the letter though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 stevery!

hey guys sorry to butt in. does anyone have any tips as to when the ncad letters may be arriving? 'mid to late march' is too vague for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Rosie30

Last year it was the 24th March and the year before it was the 19th so anytime from nxt week on!! Good luck!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

HouseHippo wrote: »
    Anyone who has done a portfolio or anyone who wants to offer some advice.....

Here's the brief
    http://www.ncad.ie/portfolio/brief.html

How do they like portfolio's to be presented?
    Anywhere I can look at portfolio's
    Any tips

:eek::eek::eek::eek:PANIC!!:confused::confused::confused:

NCAD? Just change your address to D4, Dun laoighre or Castleknock, you'll have one foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 stevery!

Rosie30 wrote: »
    Last year it was the 24th March and the year before it was the 19th so anytime from nxt week on!! Good luck!! :D
    oh thanks so much! i can't take all this waiting. it has to be next week D:

Does anyone have an idea of what the (combined) minimum points are for Leaving cert students for LSAD?

• Advertisement

Does anyone have an idea of what the (combined) minimum points are for Leaving cert students for LSAD?

I'm pretty sure its over 800 pointi . . . good luck, I really want to get in too

Advertisement