Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio Brief. HELP & ADVICE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

SeanMadd wrote: »
    Yeah but what are the LSAD points without the portfolio points attached? I mean you can't get 740 in the leaving cert ;) Haha! Hope the points aren't too high anyway! So do you put ncad on the CAO? If so, should I put that first or what?

Catman103, thanks again, your advice is so helpful! :)

Edit: After looking at that example portfolio, wow! Thanks for that, I actually feel quite excited to get started now and it doesn't seem so hard anymore! Exactly what I needed! Onto starting my portfolio, I'm going to be getting my materials and stuff soon, so what exactly should I get? What size portfolio and size sheets do I need?(and how many?) Do I need sketchbooks? With just life drawing and such? and what kind of other materials do you recommend? I have a lot of different pencils so that's not a problem, but charcoals, watercolours, etc? Just in case I do something e.g. charcoal and it might get smudged :S

the overall points for LSAD is the combined score of your portfolio score plus your LC points. yes NCAD goes onto the CAO aswell, i put it down 1st choice but thats your own preference. if you would prefer to go to NCAD put it first or if you'd like to go to Limerick instead put it down 1st....but be very sure and certain of which place you want to go to 1st!! :p i did my portfolio on A1 size pages, there was times i nearly felt like giving up cause the pages were so big but i soon got used to them and filled them well, plus the massive sheets look great when you see the full 16 of them done :) i'm no rolemodel when it comes to sketchbooks i'm afraid, i started one A4 sketchbook and never even finished it haha, thats just not how i wanted to roll and i ran out of time, however i MUST get used to doing them. but its nice to know for your sake that if you do run out of time like me (and loads others) and dont get sketchbooks done....do your worksheets really well and you'll be fine :) but i'm not telling you not to do sketchbooks as i hear they are very important....hehehe :o i used ALL materials i could find. and as a note: i used charcoal in drawings and then doused them in my mother's hairsray, from a ditance though, dont soak it and make it runny!! and those drawings havn't smudged to date ;) i would send you pics of my p.folio only its in school and i dont think i have any of it taken, but i shall be getting it soon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Thanks for the hairspray tip, sligo.! :)
    Yeah, I think I'll do mine in A2, A1 is wayy too big for me, but fair play to you for doing it! ha! Which college are you going to btw? And if you get your portfolio back, let me know if you put up pictures! :)

*Also, Just wondering, if I do the ncad portfolio, can I still use it for other colleges? Do they mind or do you have to change it? :S Also can anyone recommend any more colleges? Good ones.. I only really know of ncad and lsad, and can't really go to england.

Thanks for the hairspray tip, sligo.! :)
    Yeah, I think I'll do mine in A2, A1 is wayy too big for me, but fair play to you for doing it! ha! Which college are you going to btw? And if you get your portfolio back, let me know if you put up pictures! :)

*Also, Just wondering, if I do the ncad portfolio, can I still use it for other colleges? Do they mind or do you have to change it? :S Also can anyone recommend any more colleges? Good ones.. I only really know of ncad and lsad, and can't really go to england.

i know A1 is massive but you'd be suprised once you get into it :) however thats maybe why i had no time for sketchbooks haha! i'm going to NCAD :D i will indeed take pictures and send them on when i go to my school and get it back! yeah the ncad portfolio is the one i used for lsad and sligo i.t. too as they like to see projects of some description anyways. (however) i absolutely packed it with all my school stuff and anything else i had done outside of school awel for lsad and sligo i.t. i know people on here that applied to Crawford in Cork, depends where suits you to travel to aswel, Cork is just a no no for me thank you very much ha :p

Oh cool, what sort of accommodation do you have, might I ask? The thing that turns me off ncad is staying in a house and having to pay all sorts of things separately, whereas a student complex has everything in the one price including more. Although I haven't even looked up student accom. in a complex near ncad, so please inform me if you know! :) I live in clare and usually go to Limerick for everything so that would be my 1st option, and my mother is convincing me Dublin is a hassle. Eeep! Yeah I could add my 'other' artwork from class and stuff, thing is.. I have none :P Haha, okay, I have some, but it's not portfolio standard at ALL! Jesus I've done nothing in the past year, my art classes are such a doss all we do is talk! I become so mad when I begin to draw because I've artist's block(So I've been telling myself, anyway! Haha!) I barely know any art history! Holy crap I've a lot to do come Tuesday..:eek::D

Oh cool, what sort of accommodation do you have, might I ask? The thing that turns me off ncad is staying in a house and having to pay all sorts of things separately, whereas a student complex has everything in the one price including more. Although I haven't even looked up student accom. in a complex near ncad, so please inform me if you know! :) I live in clare and usually go to Limerick for everything so that would be my 1st option, and my mother is convincing me Dublin is a hassle. Eeep! Yeah I could add my 'other' artwork from class and stuff, thing is.. I have none :P Haha, okay, I have some, but it's not portfolio standard at ALL! Jesus I've done nothing in the past year, my art classes are such a doss all we do is talk! I become so mad when I begin to draw because I've artist's block(So I've been telling myself, anyway! Haha!) I barely know any art history! Holy crap I've a lot to do come Tuesday..:eek::D

i got digs sorted for this year, i know quite boring indeed haha. but for me it's the best option because i don't know anynody going to ncad and my only close friend going to Dublin is going to DCU and staying in the accom there! once i get to know people i'll sort something for next year :p oh yes Limerick is dead handy then. i know mothers are like that, mine was convinced last September that Sligo i.t was for me too but she came around to my way of thinking ha :) Limerick looks like a lovely place to study too though, was my 2nd option and wouldn't have minded going there if i didn't get Dublin! not to worry if you havn't much done, if you get the brief done that will be fine for every college too. have faith in yourself and you'll be making fantastic art this year :D dont worry about art history, we only did the history course in our leaving cert year anyways :eek: :L

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm thinking I'll be putting Limerick down first anyways! Though I'd love to go to Dublin too! Oh wow really? And you managed to get an A2? Kudos to you! Was it hard? What topics did you pick to study anyway?

Yeah I'm thinking I'll be putting Limerick down first anyways! Though I'd love to go to Dublin too! Oh wow really? And you managed to get an A2? Kudos to you! Was it hard? What topics did you pick to study anyway?

yeah the two spots would be great places to go for college anyways :) yeah we only did the history during the year gone by, such a drag, and we had no time at all for practical until a week before the mocks and a week before the real practical exam!! mind you the history was even rushed at the end of the year :( yeah got an A2, was so happy! the history exam is a tough 2 and a half hours of trying to write 3 essays and remembering to include sketches also, imo it should be another 20 minutes longer anyways. the paper was so bad compared to other papers, i was left with only one option in section one and two that i was confident in, and i had a lot covered! in the Irish history i covered the stone age: mainly Newgrange, bronze age, iron age, christian ere: metalwork, manuscripts, standing stones leading on to high crosses. European: Bottecelli, Ingres, Goya, Manet, Monet, Renoir, Degas, Seurat, Lautrec, Gaughin, Van Gogh, Picasso, Dali....so i had all eras of European covered and all option i had was Manet because of the way other questions were phrased, for e.g. the cubism one as you had to name another cubist artist....i ask you, who covers two cubist artists??!! well probably some but when there are all the other movements to cover also :eek:

Holy crap, I've no idea half the things you said! Haha! Well my art teacher said today she's ordered new books, and they're supposingly good, as she says... So we'll see how it goes. Congrats on the A2 though, I know A's in LC Art are kinda rare! Feel special ;) Ha! When do you start college? I want to know what NCAD is like! :D Oh, what book did you study from for your Art btw? And if you've any tips on the drawing/history, whichever, pass 'um my way! :P

Holy crap, I've no idea half the things you said! Haha! Well my art teacher said today she's ordered new books, and they're supposingly good, as she says... So we'll see how it goes. Congrats on the A2 though, I know A's in LC Art are kinda rare! Feel special ;) Ha! When do you start college? I want to know what NCAD is like! :D Oh, what book did you study from for your Art btw? And if you've any tips on the drawing/history, whichever, pass 'um my way! :P

thanks, yeah only 5% of those doing HL art this year got As, really really low A rate so i was delighted :p college starts on the 26th but i have gotten no word at all yet about when we register etc, i am expecting post everyday haha! you should go to the NCAD open day, the first thursday in December, its great to see the college and it was motivation for me to get the brief finished and ready for Feb ;) would you believe i didn't have a single book for my LC art history course, and we were also told by our teacher not to purchase a set of exam papers :eek: it really saved on the money i had to spend on art as a subject haha, but it was very strange!! she photocopied all our notes for the year, stuff that she had just handwritten herself on the diff topics and artists :o but i survived!! i would say have fun learning the history, just soak it all up, i loved doing the history and didn't even find it hard to learn. cover loads of topics, everything i mentioned in the last post definately covered me for questions. and i didn't do this much but i would advise it : practise life sketching during the year if you can at all to prepare for May, the main reason i say this is because of the extremely short time frame that you have to do the drawing in: 15 minutes and 30 minute poses :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 catman103

Got my letter today about payment and registartion, exciting but also quite complicated. There are a slew of things to fill out, send and bring in. Registrations on the 22nd, that's ages away still! Really looking forward to college now X0

• Advertisement

catman103 wrote: »
    Got my letter today about payment and registartion, exciting but also quite complicated. There are a slew of things to fill out, send and bring in. Registrations on the 22nd, that's ages away still! Really looking forward to college now X0

same! was so happy to get it, have been waiting for so long :p i know so many pages! i filled out the registration one but left it blank for the grant bit as i dont know do i have it yet or not, grrr haha! and i filled out the garda vetting, hmmm what to do with that now?? bring it to the gadai possibly i dont know, it doesnt give much info on what has to be done with it even though there a page of info about it :rolleyes: yeah i know the 22nd is so far away, why cant it be tomorrow i ask you haha! me too :)

Was just reading the brief, and section C seems to baffle me :S
    http://www.ncad.ie/faculties/core/docs/PortfolioWeb2012.pdf
    Scroll down and see. Anyone want to break it down for me or perhaps give an example? Also, the checklist beside section c, do I just print that off and cut it out then stick it into my portfolio? Actually, is printing the only way to get a copy of the brief? Or does the school send them out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 catman103

Was just reading the brief, and section C seems to baffle me :S
    http://www.ncad.ie/faculties/core/docs/PortfolioWeb2012.pdf
    Scroll down and see. Anyone want to break it down for me or perhaps give an example? Also, the checklist beside section c, do I just print that off and cut it out then stick it into my portfolio? Actually, is printing the only way to get a copy of the brief? Or does the school send them out?

Section C is probably the most open section, in terms of how you interpret it. This is mainly because it is not tied to your mind maps. They're looking to see if you can come up with an original idea from their prompt. For instance in J, Record 4 junctions, you could use any media (a range of typical and non typical is always good) to present four unusual junctions, things that technically are junctions, but not usually seen that way. Even more open to interpretation is I, Construct a head. This opens up so many possibilities for you to do, and create anything. You could make and animal or human or any type of 'head', letting the term open to anything. You could make studies, variations or reconstructions on a head, making either 2D or 3D things. You could even make a new type of head up if you wanted. They want to see that you can run with an idea basically, and make it your own, while being mindful of the task you have been set. They like to see you bend things around and see them from different perspectives. Keep that in mind.

For my portfolio, I did 2 of the exercises in C. One of the tasks was to 'wrap a sentence' so I printed out photos of things and people I had taken and covered the photo's main subjects with cut out pages of a dictionary. I then presented them on a sheet together. I also came up with many other ideas which I put in my notebook.

Basically pick the exercises you think are most interesting and mull over them for a while, see what you can come up with, what you like and don't like.

In terms of the check list, yes you should attach it to your portfolio, whether you are printing it out, or cutting it out of the actual booklet. NCAD won't send any out but I'm sure if you dropped to them by you could pick up a copy. A handy day to go in and get one is on their open day, where you can get lots of material on the college, the brief included. It's a good idea to have an actual copy, and the college have loads of them.

Hope that all made sense :)

Okay, thanks! Just to clarify I need A2 sketchpad, a sketchbook and a notebook for writing ideas for the brief, right? Does the sketchbook have to be completely relevant to the brief or can i put in some other work when I'm finished or whatever? Also, what kinda of notebook? As in blank pages or a copy/refill pad type with lines? A bit much if they want me to write/draw my ideas in the notebook, then draw them in the sketchbook and then again on the sheets :confused:

Oh, one more thing. What other art(good ones I suppose!) colleges should I hand my portfolio to? Already know of LSAD, NCAD, IADT... any more? If they have core years all the better as I'm not totally sure what to study, but am thinking along fashion/graphic design.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Okay, thanks! Just to clarify I need A2 sketchpad, a sketchbook and a notebook for writing ideas for the brief, right? Does the sketchbook have to be completely relevant to the brief or can i put in some other work when I'm finished or whatever? Also, what kinda of notebook? As in blank pages or a copy/refill pad type with lines? A bit much if they want me to write/draw my ideas in the notebook, then draw them in the sketchbook and then again on the sheets :confused:

Oh, one more thing. What other art(good ones I suppose!) colleges should I hand my portfolio to? Already know of LSAD, NCAD, IADT... any more? If they have core years all the better as I'm not totally sure what to study, but am thinking along fashion/graphic design.

you could think of applying to edinburgh college of art, Glasgow college of art and dundee ect in scotland. Only reason I suggest them is you're still entitled to free fees and it gives you more options outside of lsad and ncad if you want a college with diverse ranges of 2nd year options.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

I'm starting my portfolio and I think what they mean by notebook is a 'Visual Diary'. I got one in a bookshop in town (they were in the art section with paints etc not in a stationery section). The one I got is from a brand called Create if that's any help and had 'visual diary' written on it which was handy cos I wasn't sure what to buy. It's basically an A4 ringbinder journal which has one blank page for your sketches and on the other has lined paper for writing notes etc. It's where you do your prep work and work out ideas I think. It cost about €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Naomi00 wrote: »
    I'm starting my portfolio and I think what they mean by notebook is a 'Visual Diary'. I got one in a bookshop in town (they were in the art section with paints etc not in a stationery section). The one I got is from a brand called Create if that's any help and had 'visual diary' written on it which was handy cos I wasn't sure what to buy. It's basically an A4 ringbinder journal which has one blank page for your sketches and on the other has lined paper for writing notes etc. It's where you do your prep work and work out ideas I think. It cost about €5.

while a diary like this might be of aid to some people theres no need to buy any special or particular notebooks, you can always rule pagers or/and write freehand. there's no "set" notebook, generally i find having one small enough that you carry with you at all times and one slightly bigger to be ideal as far as usefulness but it depends on the person. If i forget to write something or don't want to put writing on a page i use post-its

I've got a question about what the pages are supposed to look like. (NCAD brief)

For each task, e.g put an object into an unusual location etc, do they want one big finished painting or image (plus your prep work in the sketch books etc), or do they want lots of drawings and ideas on the same page?

They specifically ask for worksheets for one of the tasks anyway.

I was wondering about this because I saw the link to that guy's portfolio which was really good, and I noticed that nearly all of his pages looked like worksheets. I'm just wondering if any of you know if NCAD prefer lots of ideas on the pages , or maybe it was specified on the brief that year, I don't know.

(link to the portfolio I saw, incase some people don't know which one I'm talking about http://xenzo.deviantart.com/gallery/12302362)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

For each task, e.g put an object into an unusual location etc, do they want one big finished painting or image (plus your prep work in the sketch books etc), or do they want lots of drawings and ideas on the same page?

They're not really looking for a finished image, they mostly want to see how your brain works and how you develop ideas. The way its shown in that link is pretty much the format you should aim for but you don't have to stick rigidly to how he's done it. Worksheets all the way though!

Emmpty wrote: »
    They're not really looking for a finished image, they mostly want to see how your brain works and how you develop ideas. The way its shown in that link is pretty much the format you should aim for but you don't have to stick rigidly to how he's done it. Worksheets all the way though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭snicket

I've got a question about what the pages are supposed to look like. (NCAD brief)

They specifically ask for worksheets for one of the tasks anyway.

I was wondering about this because I saw the link to that guy's portfolio which was really good, and I noticed that nearly all of his pages looked like worksheets. I'm just wondering if any of you know if NCAD prefer lots of ideas on the pages , or maybe it was specified on the brief that year, I don't know.

(link to the portfolio I saw, incase some people don't know which one I'm talking about http://xenzo.deviantart.com/gallery/12302362)

My portfolio from last year was a combination of more worksheet-type things and a few more finished pieces. I don't think it matters too much really, so long as you show your own creativity!

If you want to look at more NCAD portfolio examples, here's some of mine: http://claradoodle.deviantart.com/gallery/ (nowhere near as good as the one you linked to, but hopefully it helped! I combed deviantart for examples last year as well :P)

snicket wrote: »
    My portfolio from last year was a combination of more worksheet-type things and a few more finished pieces. I don't think it matters too much really, so long as you show your own creativity!

If you want to look at more NCAD portfolio examples, here's some of mine: http://claradoodle.deviantart.com/gallery/ (nowhere near as good as the one you linked to, but hopefully it helped! I combed deviantart for examples last year as well :P)

Thanks, your portfolio is really good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 killianfallon

snicket wrote: »

Wow your portfolio is amazing! Did you get in or are you applying for entry in 2012? 14 weeks and 3 days left! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 I am

anyone doing the ncad brief for 2012? confused about the whole mind maps thing ,not that good of thinking outside the box ,Machine/Container/Garden/Organism
    can anyone help? :)

Just wondering if anyone with Art History exam papers could possibly scan and upload the 'Analysis Chart' of past papers that shows what topics came up in the last few years? Or at least tell me if it may be available online? I've downloaded my exam papers from examinations.ie so there's not point in my buying the papers for that sheet only..

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Xenzo

Hi all I uploaded a video on youtube of my portfolio from 2010, it's by no means perfect but it got me into core hopefully it can help some people out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Z8R4Ghe5E

Wow thanks so much Xenzo, yours is incredible! I hope mine is good enough, I just sent it to Ireland (I live in Dubai) on Sunday and I have someone dropping it in for me on the 30th I'm sooo nervous, I just wish they would tell me like the next day instead of making us wait until March! And not even the beginning! Like the end! Anyway I'm just starting on my portfolio now for IADT which is a massive risk as I'm only giving myself 1 and a half months but hopefully I can use my school work as they don't ask for specific stuff like NCAD did.

Just one question: How do I make sure that I'm assessed along with all the graduate students and don't get put in with all the students who have done a portfolio year? Because they're assessed seperately and are allocated 50% of places each right? Thanks anyone who can help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Xenzo

Wow thanks so much Xenzo, yours is incredible! I hope mine is good enough, I just sent it to Ireland (I live in Dubai) on Sunday and I have someone dropping it in for me on the 30th I'm sooo nervous, I just wish they would tell me like the next day instead of making us wait until March! And not even the beginning! Like the end! Anyway I'm just starting on my portfolio now for IADT which is a massive risk as I'm only giving myself 1 and a half months but hopefully I can use my school work as they don't ask for specific stuff like NCAD did.

Just one question: How do I make sure that I'm assessed along with all the graduate students and don't get put in with all the students who have done a portfolio year? Because they're assessed seperately and are allocated 50% of places each right? Thanks anyone who can help :)

Hey Killian cheers and best of luck with it!

And By the way I used the same portfolio for NCAD and IADT , but I would of added a few more things into the one for IADT but it was mainly my NCAD portfolio. They did accept it when I was applying so hopefully they still do, no harm to check up on it.

And your second question I have no idea sorry, I think everyone is assessed in the same place..

Wow Xenzo you sent off your NCAD portfolio to IADT? What did you apply for? That's amazing that you were accepted! But were they not a bit...I dunno...confused or something that you sent them the NCAD portfolio? I just have this vision of them going 'well, he obviously doesn't want to come here that bad if he put all this effort into a portfolio for NCAD and then just gave us the leftovers' so did you just leave it as it was? Because I have, in my portfolio, all the questions and the section titles and stuff, but besides that it's a pretty good portfolio that I'd be happy to send them, with the addition of storyboards and a lot more life drawings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maisie

The portfolio following the NCAD brief is fine for IADT and in fact any of the other art courses around the country. No harm to add a little extra if you have it. The submission dates are all staggered for this reason.

Advertisement