Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio Brief. HELP & ADVICE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 catman103

snicket wrote: »
    Well I was 316 at around 3.30? Which doesn't seem like a lot really...

Yeah that's 316 people at an hour before they finlly closed. Let's hope for little competition...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Anyone know what's changed about LSAD? Might apply to there too next year. Hmm.. do they have a specific brief also?..Or could I get by using my NCAD portfolio for LSAD?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

SeanMadd wrote: »
    Anyone know what's changed about LSAD? Might apply to there too next year. Hmm.. do they have a specific brief also?..Or could I get by using my NCAD portfolio for LSAD?

Last year everyone I know that applied to ncad that applied to LSAD with their ncad brief + extra stuff afterwards got into LSAD. Don't think it guaranteed them a place by any means but I don't think it hurt them.

Someone on this thread the other day said they might have done away with the interview. I dunno why someone who come to this thread to say they know something but are keeping it secret.... weird.

If you're nervous you can email the admissions?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A193

I know stuff, lotsa stuff..I'm just not sayin' anything because its a tought enough competiton as it is i have to get in this year couldn't cope not getting in twice. Ya'l will find out when the letters come out..

A193 wrote: »
    I know stuff, lotsa stuff..I'm just not sayin' anything because its a tought enough competiton as it is i have to get in this year couldn't cope not getting in twice. Ya'l will find out when the letters come out..

I didn't deny you didn't know, just questioned the reason why you posted to let people you know but were keeping it to yourself. This thread is called help and advice btw.

The people who have worked hard and have the abilities they will get in, there's more colleges in ireland regardless. The competition may be bigger but that doesn't essentially mean tougher...

To those nervous contact admissions and ask about the rumoured changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Mod Note

This thread is about give and take - I understand users may feel threatened and not want to "give away ideas" but please keep comments such as implying that you know something, to yourself. It is not constructive and the people on here looking for advice do not need to feel any more stress than they already have. If you have advice or updates and want to share - that's great. Keep it constructive or keep it to yourself please.

Sorry..:S

So.. Are there any students that actually go to NCAD here? Just want to know what it's like? :D

loocas wrote: »
    I think that may be true I'm afraid! You're asked to write a brief piece about yourself/your work too, about 2 paragraphs, I believe.

Saw this on the LSAD thread in the limerick it forum in relation to someone wondering if there would be no interview. I don't know if this is true or not but if that is the case its not a bad thing, believe me.

If anything it'll be better to be able to take time to think out your answers and edit! Better then getting tongue tied on the day guys :)

I had a similar interview process at my art college, hand up the portfolio with three questions answered stuck on the inside, go for tour and pick up portfolio at the end of the day. (they did re-ask us one of the questions at the last minute allowing us to elaborate but i think it depended on the groups).

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭snicket

Anyone know whether ncad give you the result of your portfolio when you go to pick it up?

• Advertisement

Anyone know whether ncad give you the result of your portfolio when you go to pick it up?

No, you pick your portfolio up and then they send you a letter in mid to late March letting you know if you got in and your points etc, but from what I've heard it's usually late March/ early April.

Oh god I don't know whether that's a good thing or not :S thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 caveman007

well i was no.516 at around 4.15 and there were about 30 people in the line by the time i left so i say in all they probably got less than 600 applying...which means if my calculation is correct eveyone has a 3 in 1 chances of getting in:)...(they took in 175-180 people last year didn't they?)

caveman007 wrote: »
    well i was no.516 at around 4.15 and there were about 30 people in the line by the time i left so i say in all they probably got less than 600 applying...which means if my calculation is correct eveyone has a 3 in 1 chances of getting in:)...(they took in 175-180 people last year didn't they?)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was 180 last year, and there hasnt been any change, I hope. I like the 1 in 3 chance, it is a slight comfort in the suspense of waiting till March. One thing I havent been able to fully work out is what are they doing for a whole month when they don't even have our portfolios? I got mine back yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lemonade1

Got my portfolio back yesterday and I am a bit worried cause it looks exactly the same as when I left it in. Tidy and organised, and some people I know said theirs were messed up like they had had a good look at them. :( Whats the chances that the didnt look at it???????

lemonade1 wrote: »
    Got my portfolio back yesterday and I am a bit worried cause it looks exactly the same as when I left it in. Tidy and organised, and some people I know said theirs were messed up like they had had a good look at them. :( Whats the chances that the didnt look at it???????
    sometimes ppl have things to be touched and played with. Last year, mine did so it was a bit messy, others i know didn't have anything displaced, i don't think it matters. don't worry hun.

:)ooh good! thanks a mill feel alot better hearin that!

lemonade1 wrote: »

They could hardly not look at a portfolio so I'd say there's no worry. I got mine with a friend and we looked at them in town afterwards. Mine is a collection of loose sheets as the main section and a folder for the notebook section, so all my sheets were out of order and there was stuff out that I had for them to use, while my friend's was in plastic pockets so you'd never know it had been touched.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

i have to get mine back yet! i think i'll go up next monday to get it when i've my mocks over and am on my midterm:) i'm still amazed that i got it done and up to Dublin hah! i was number 55 on the last thursday and i see someone said there that they were 107 at half 10 the friday after?....hmmmm how many more would they have got before half 4 on the friday in reality??:P i like the sound of there only being around 100 early on the friday though!! fingers crossed in the meantime, i'll get nervous come March!:eek::L

catman103 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was 180 last year, and there hasnt been any change, I hope. I like the 1 in 3 chance, it is a slight comfort in the suspense of waiting till March. One thing I havent been able to fully work out is what are they doing for a whole month when they don't even have our portfolios? I got mine back yesterday

1 in 3! That's actually great :) *fingers crossed*

So if I'm not being too nosy or anything, what kind of things did people do for it? Like objects you picked and what you did with them and all that =P

• Advertisement

So if I'm not being too nosy or anything, what kind of things did people do for it? Like objects you picked and what you did with them and all that =P

well seeing at there was only about 100 on the friday, i like the sound of that :p for Observation i picked a teapot and put it with my schoolbag, on a toaster, with the fruit, in a forest! and then i put a shoe ontop of like an aborigini background (took me forever to paint!) and i did an obervation study of two boots....one was normal and the other turned into like a landcsape with a waterfall etc:P i did take it apart and wear it at the end:) what all did you do?:)

wow that sounds awesome? what did you take apart?
    I put a grenade in a teacup, froze a tape in a block of ice, hung bits of coconut off a tree.. nothing very out there really :/ I recorded the four landscapes too, with pop ups lol :)

wow that sounds awesome? what did you take apart?
    I put a grenade in a teacup, froze a tape in a block of ice, hung bits of coconut off a tree.. nothing very out there really :/ I recorded the four landscapes too, with pop ups lol :)

that sounds cool :P well i wasnt really doing anything out there either even though i knew i should have been doing something more aout there! and then i finally broke the mould a little and stopped doing such ordinary stuff ha :) for take it apart and wear it i "took apart" the weather and did drawings of my face wearing the weather....sun beaming out of my mouth, lightening bolts coming out all directions!! and i also "wore" like a map of a mountain (yano with the contour lines and all) on my face so i just drew loads of lines and coloured each area differently :) and page two i foscused on more like fashion drawing where models were wearing full outfits of weather....like hurricane skirts etc haha :P have you gotten your portfolio back? what number were you?? :)

Sorry to ask this again, put are there any actual NCAD students in this thread that can tell me about it NCAD itself? Particularly graphic design, fashion students. Yeah I know I could go to an open day but meh.. PM me! :)

so is any1 handing their ncad brief into other colleges? i am planning on it as im still in 6th year but dont wanna look lazy and uninterested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 UltraGems

1 in 3! That's actually great :) *fingers crossed*

i doubt it'l be 1 in 3. One of my friends was one of the last people leaving theirs in and she was like 580.
    It's more like a 1 in 6 chance

Supposedly LSAD have 900 applicants, but i also heard its 950 with 750 first choices..I got 920 in total. Hopefully its enough

Supposedly LSAD have 900 applicants, but i also heard its 950 with 750 first choices..I got 920 in total. Hopefully its enough

hi there:) can you explain what you mean a bit more please? i'm interested cause i applied too to LSAD :P going to Limerick Tuesday with the portfolio! when do you get the result of how you get on with it?...on the day or not?

They had said that your results would be posted out a day later to arrive the next day depending on your post kinda thing, but I had mine 2 days later..But supposedly there has been a high ammount of applicants.

• Advertisement

They had said that your results would be posted out a day later to arrive the next day depending on your post kinda thing, but I had mine 2 days later..But supposedly there has been a high ammount of applicants.

so you've been to your assesment, and got your results and all?, very good :) and you dont know as of yet whether it guaranatees a place or not?....i suppose if you get an offer from the CAO in August thats when you (we) will know?? :P

Advertisement