Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio Brief. HELP & ADVICE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Blue_Seas

I did a portfolio course a few weeks ago now, in IADT. I thought it would cover the NCAD brief; it didn't.
    However, it really opened my eyes on how to use different materials, what effects I can achieve, and general art stuff like composition (and that I need to draw big and leave as little negative space as possible).

It also may have just pushed me in the right direction considering I had to buy a load of materials for it; that meant that when I finished the course, even though I didn't take much from it for NCAD, I had all the materials needed and was in the right mindset.

Plus I sneakily snuck in a banana to draw and work with, I got some good stuff from that for my "skin" mind map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

Hey, anyone else attempting to do the Brief this year?
    I'm having the hardest time with my items and categories... I simply CANNOT think of anything I like. And everything I can think of, I was told not to do it...

I keep trying to think of items, and then keep trying to think what could I do if I combined x with y, but my mind is completely blank! This sucks I usually have a ton of ideas, anyone on the same boat?? Any suggestions?

Moved - Chorcai

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Whatsername123

Really stuck on things to do for this portfolio, any ideas would be brilliant! I've only got 3 and a half months to complete I can usually think completely outside the box but for some reason im blank now :/

My 3 Themes are Skin, Flight and Gadget

Please and Thank you!! xx

Moved - Chorcai

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I did the Ncad brief, got decent points for it, and now in 2nd year Iadt, in my portfolio course to generate ideas we were told, just to right the word in the middle of a page and just write down as many words as you can to do with the word, like flight for example, birds, wings, planes, air, clouds, wind, helicopter, etc etc.then think of more non literal or metaphors for the word. Even as friends or family what do you think of when you hear the word? After the brain storming you'll start making connections and generate more ideas. Remember its all about execution, you may have a great idea but not execute it well or vice versa. and a good idea doesnt have to be overly complicated, keep your ideas simple and communicate them clearly. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Really stuck on things to do for this portfolio, any ideas would be brilliant! I've only got 3 and a half months to complete I can usually think completely outside the box but for some reason im blank now :/

My 3 Themes are Skin, Flight and Gadget

Please and Thank you!! xx

Moved - Chorcai

I think you should look for inspiration in the words of the themes (skin, flight and gadget) and how those words can mean many things to different people. You want to avoid cliches by following what interests you and not choosing to do things you 'think' are right or that you know are 'safe'. Take risks but show in the portfolio your thinking process.

I'd also say look at some art galleries if you can and if you can't art21 and the Tate online are great resources for you to see how artists think and process through their work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Spud_Monkeyy

Was just wondering if there are any NCAD students on here that could offer some advice on what is looked for in the brief? Like do they focus more on the concepts than the quality of drawing or what? And how is it judged?

I plan on applying this year and really want to get a leg-up on the competition.. :p

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TimeToWander

What is a brief? Is the actual portfolio itself, or something different?

Also, regarding the themes, what are the options?

Thanks!

One month to go.. not to late to start..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 busybee1

i'm on the last section of the brief... how about everyone else, where about's are yous?
    i'm picking record 2 different overlaps, does anyone have any good ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

The Mind Maps are extremely important. As well as finding as many connections as possible with a word also use as many materials as possible and really play with the surface of the page. Drawing ability doesnt play much of a part in the marking scheme so do not waste time making precious little drawings and shading them perfectly. They'll be browsed over in seconds.

The themes are very loose starting points. Take Flight. So birds, planes, wings, bluebottles – disease – decay – rotting meat – death. ANYTHING at all is valid. Take a bluebottles wing, scan it into photoshop, blow it up a hundred times, draw it, paint it, remake it in plastic and wire for example. Hang 20 of them from your ceiling and photograph the way light affects them. Draw that paint that. Take the anatomy of a blue bottle and separate it and make it of ..... bottles that are blue I dont know. Don't over think it. Do the work, discover new things in the process, experiment, enjoy yourself. Edit the work at the end.

Drawing a picture of a plane is very straight forward but the same image scratched into reclaimed metal or better yet a bit of scrap airplane, if ye can get it will get ye more marks. The idea can be simple but how you present it and the medium you use can be the creative part.

You are getting marks for showing you have a playful mind, you investigate materials and you experiment. You cant know the results before you do the work so don't be thinking oh what'll be good. You could take the letters F L Y and literally present them in as many possible ways and materials and it'd be an amazing project from a very simple idea.

Also any work that you've previously done for portfolios for other colleges can be easily tweeked to fit the brief.

Anyway I hope that's some sort of help ha. Enjoy the brief, its a great learning experience and its fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 whatsthatname

Hey guys, first time posting on here. Just submitted my brief to NCAD today. Completely nervous handing in it but I have to say the people taking the portfolios were lovely :) Anyway my portfolio is at _removed- it's the first time i've ever done something like this and so now i've the NCAD brief finished i'm feeling a bit lost as to what to show to the other colleges. So basically i'm just asking for any advice on what I should/shouldn't include from my ncad portfolio, what areas I should concentrate to create new pieces etc? Thanks in advance :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You don't think it's a risk posting your work in a place others could copy from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 whatsthatname

Eeep didn't even think about that :/ Well I'll make the link private for now and if anyone's interested in helping me I can always unhide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ollie182

So my NCAD brief is handed in right, and LSAD is the other important option I'm applying for. Just wondering about the portfolio submission date though? Has anyone gotten a letter yet - when about's is it? Want to make sure I'm not in work experience at the time. :confused:

Also, any know what sorta stuff they go for: highly technically skilled work or well engineered, very imagininative work? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ThatOneRegret

Im in leaving cert now and want to apply for Art and design in GMIT, but I am not doing art for my leaving cert as it's not a subject choice in my school and Im really worried about the portfolio as I only have about 5 or 6 drawings/ paintings done for it! Is the course very hard to get into?? Please help! I have no idea! :S

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jigsawpuzzle 666

hi, I'm doing a portfolio course at the moment and I'm wondering how many flat work pieces I should include? ...At the moment I have 15 but I'm thinking they may expect more than that from someone who has done a portfolio preparation course? Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated :))))).........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Been years since I did a portfolio, but by Flat work piece do you mean a1 sheets or whatever sized paper you're doing all of your work on? I think if memory served NCAD usually want 20 odd, and other courses will want about the same or slightly more, I think I had up on 30 when I applied to LSAD and got 600/600. Quality over quantity always, but 15 should be your minimum goal.

*Things may have changed in the last few years so sorry if I'm terribly wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 isobleu

Sorry if this has been asked before, many times, but in what month is the NCAD portfolio brief released? Or in other words, when will the 2014 Portfolio brief be released?

Thanks in advance!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gr8loolz

Been years since I did a portfolio, but by Flat work piece do you mean a1 sheets or whatever sized paper you're doing all of your work on? I think if memory served NCAD usually want 20 odd, and other courses will want about the same or slightly more, I think I had up on 30 when I applied to LSAD and got 600/600. Quality over quantity always, but 15 should be your minimum goal.

*Things may have changed in the last few years so sorry if I'm terribly wrong :D

What did you include in your portfolio to get full marks in lsad?

Im applying to Gmit too, They mark the portfolio hard as there is very little places in the course! and they look at them in about 20-30 minutes!

How did people get on in their LSAD points?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 dutchygirl

Gr8loolz wrote: »

600 here, delighted!

510, delira :) yourself?

Ollie182 wrote: »
    510, delira :) yourself?

they're unbelievable scores, well done! 500 :) is Lsad your first choice? might see you next year!

they're unbelievable scores, well done! 500 :) is Lsad your first choice? might see you next year!

Yay, well done you! I'm not too sure yet, between there and ncad. Lsad is first for you is it?

Sending off my deposite for Grove Island Friday, scary stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

All you happy young people, my degree show starts in about 5 weeks :(

Groves a nice place by the way, you should love it :)

All you happy young people, my degree show starts in about 5 weeks :(

Groves a nice place by the way, you should love it :)

Best of luck with the degree show!

Yeah I've heard a few good things about it alright! It's got sky movies, so I'm happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pancakes1

I've also applied to LSAD and I plan to live in Grove Island!! Just wondering if anyone whose studied art at LSAD has any advice on getting a part-time job in limerick city?

Thank you! Yeah its my first :) Getting really excited about next year! Do you have to leave in your deposit soon? I havn't been in contact them with them yet!

Do you have to pay for wifi in grove?

• Advertisement

Thank you! Yeah its my first :) Getting really excited about next year! Do you have to leave in your deposit soon? I havn't been in contact them with them yet!

Well I rang on Friday last, and they sent me out a little pack with a brochure and booking forms and any info you need really. The deposit is €300 which is refundable if you cancel before the second round offers, with the exception of €30 for administration. I asked if many people had reserved yet, and he said either way it's all reserved for the students closest anyway. Didn't really answer my question, but there ya go!

Edit: Also, the internet is included, but Ive heard its not great.

Advertisement