Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio Brief. HELP & ADVICE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A193

Yup, thats right! The letter only gives you your score, weather you passed or failed (240 or below you fail and not eligible for a place) then you gotta wait until August!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mariebarrett

A193 wrote: »
    Supposedly LSAD have 900 applicants, but i also heard its 950 with 750 first choices..I got 920 in total. Hopefully its enough

Hey (",) I went for my interview yesterday and was talking to a woman inside there she said that about 900 applied on the cao but only 600 will actually turn up. She also said that this year they were given a specific amount of places for mature students so points are more than likely gonna go down :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 grawnya

i got my results yesterday ... jst wonderin how others done im not sure if i done well or not? what is a good score out of 600

I did terrible anyways first time trying got 253 so i've no hope in getting in :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 grawnya

well at least you didnt fail ! did you apply anywhere else...i got 435 ..but if its the same points as last year i wont make it on my leaving cert results...

• Advertisement

Oh well done thats very good :) they told me that the points would go down because they have to give places to mature students this year so you could easily get in :) nope i didnt apply for anywhere else i'll be doing applied biology in LIT which was my second choice so i'm happy out anyway...did you apply anywhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Akane

Yeah alot of people in my plc are a bit baffled about some scores that have been given out.. some people who got quite low scores didnt deserve so low based on the quality of artwork in the portfolio. is there alot of emphasis on something in particular does anyone know? i got 501 myself so im delighted anyway! :) just hope its enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

I know it's a bit early but has anyone started the NCAD 2012 brief?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lemonade1

anyone been to the ncad access scheme interviews? i have been called and i am curious as to what they might ask or how long it wil be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kieranofarl

has anyone applied to Dun laoghaire and recieved a score? i got 210 so i failed but i have no idea why, my limerick score was around 400.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 catman103

has anyone applied to Dun laoghaire and recieved a score? i got 210 so i failed but i have no idea why, my limerick score was around 400.

Yeah I got 480 for animation, even though i didnt go to the interview. Would like to go to IADT but I think I'll be taking NCAD instead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

different colleges look for different things. Might depend on what Dun Laoghaire course you applied for as well. If things go pear shaped or you're unhappy with the course you get into, consider a plc. Some are really great and art as a career is not a race, no reason to jump into a course you're unhappy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lemonade1

i applied to iadt yep and I got 480 for visual arts practice and 420 for both visual communications and model making. I wanted visual arts though....my limerick score was 344 so not great in comparison to other colleges they were the lowest for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 EMILY.C

I only got 400 in DIT but 600 in IADT, and my friend got 500 in DIT but only 300 in IADT.....wonder why they are both looking for such different things for basically the same course?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A193

Did anyone get any hints on points going up/down intake etc. from LSAD when they were ther?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rainyrain

My head has been wrecked for the summer trying to breakdown the brief! August is close and 6th year is just around the corner and I was hoping to finish a huge chunk of the brief by now...

The worksheets alone have me confuzzeled! I understand that everyones presentation is different but I still feel hesitant and worried.. :o
    I even fear how "out there" can I be on something as simple as observation!

Another question... :D Can I include actual paintings and completed artwork as a product of my observtion/problem solving? e.g. Problem: find 4 ways to transport something on fire, worksheets: 2 total. Could I produce an art piece on half a
    worksheet each or am I strictly designing? Just a thought... :/
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kanedaly60

Rainyrain wrote: »
    My head has been wrecked for the summer trying to breakdown the brief! August is close and 6th year is just around the corner and I was hoping to finish a huge chunk of the brief by now...

The worksheets alone have me confuzzeled! I understand that everyones presentation is different but I still feel hesitant and worried.. :o

Another question... :D Can I include actual paintings and completed artwork as a product of my observtion/problem solving? e.g. Problem: find 4 ways to transport something on fire, worksheets: 2 total. Could I produce an art piece on half a

'Out there' is good, NCAD are into new unique perspectives and ideas, especially in Core. Remember as there's no interview the only way you get to put your personality across is in the work you submit, so do things for yourself, not just so you can tick off boxes.

When I was doing the brief all my worksheets were mainly finished 'solutions' and I used my notebook for sketches and experiments. I think that's a personal preference really, so just do what you want. There's no real right or wrong with the brief, so just go for what you think you yourself would be interested to see presented.

Rainyrain wrote: »

Firstly I'd like to tell you that you shouldnt be too worried about not being done your portfolio yet, while time is precious, most of the people i knew doing it last year (including myself) did the bulk of the work during the months in school. Personally, I only decided to do the portfolio a few weeks before christmas, and simply laid out a timetable to have it done with a few days to spair before the deadline. Over the summer really I just had a few thoughts and read through lots of the forums on the brief here on boards, they were really helpful. To get the brief finished in a good time is as simple as planning out time to do each section and then knuckling down and working through all the confusion that arises.

Regarding finished pieces, you can represent your ideas in nearly any way you want, but you have to make sure they are clear. This could simply mean adding some notes, or a related page of drawing/ painting to explain what you are trying to say. When the brief says worksheet, they want you to show your ideas through your work, not necessarily stick to a strict design template. The brief is made so that each person can interpret it in their own way. If you can follow their instructions while making the portfolio your own then it'll go far.

Lastly I'd like to say that you should most definitely go to the NCAD open day. I went last year while doing my portfolio and it was a massive incentive which pushed me to work a lot more. I can't wait to start in September, given that I get my LC points, hope this helped, and more questions are welcome.

I think we're all freaking out a bit over the brief. Haha! I was planning on doing it this summer but haven't had the time(or money!) to go to a class or anything :( Has anyone done their portfolio without the help of a portfolio class? I literally have no idea what I should be doing by myself but the classes are quite expensive for a week. I'm going to ask my art teacher when I go back to school could she possibly help but I've asked a few times before and she constantly forgets. I don't know what I'll do if I don't get a portfolio done :(

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

hey there, i got accepted into NCAD starting this September and i didn't go to any classes, or have any person advising me on how to put the portfolio together! saying that i did no sketch book, and i'm not saying that was a way to go, but what i did was obviously good enough to get me in :p it was hard, i'll say that, but i did my own thing, and put down whatever i thought might work :) i discussed things with my art teacher in school (who was no help) however because of talking to her i came up with things to do myself, she was of no use but it helped!! so talk things through with someone, anyone, and you'd be suprised what ideas you'd condure up :D good luck with it, and try get going on it now!

• Advertisement

I've also been accepted this year on my portfolio, and didnt do any classes at all. I think while the classes can help, they are not entirely necessary. What does really help is someone to bounce ideas off. Whether they are experienced in art or not, it's always good to get a different point of view. I had my art teacher who was very helpful with just keeping me on track and providing another angle on things.

On another note how did everyone do in their LC results yesterday? Mine were grand, but I was still worried going in. Hope everyone got what they wanted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

catman103 wrote: »
    I've also been accepted this year on my portfolio, and didnt do any classes at all. I think while the classes can help, they are not entirely necessary. What does really help is someone to bounce ideas off. Whether they are experienced in art or not, it's always good to get a different point of view. I had my art teacher who was very helpful with just keeping me on track and providing another angle on things.

On another note how did everyone do in their LC results yesterday? Mine were grand, but I was still worried going in. Hope everyone got what they wanted :)

haha thats exactly how i felt, snap!! talking things through really helps :) and i think its great when someone can do their own thing and be accepted! well done on getting your grades, we will both be up in NCAD in September then :D i was more nervous getting my JC results tbh, was absolutely delighted with my results after a busy year and no study until the week before exams :P got an A2 in HL art so was happy out! saw the irish times yday and only 5% of people got an A in art and only 1% or possibly "0.something" got an A1 (will check again) and i think that statistic is crazy?? :eek: was delighted to get an A2 :D would love to know what everyone else got?

Thanks for your help! If ye don't mind, could ye(sligo. and catman103) possibly help me a bit more? It's just I'm literally clueless at what to even draw, or even do those mind maps or whatever. Obviously I'm going to apply to other colleges too but I'm going to have to use the NCAD brief for my portfolio. Any help? Any pictures of your own work.. maybe? ;) Haha

SeanMadd wrote: »
    Thanks for your help! If ye don't mind, could ye(sligo. and catman103) possibly help me a bit more? It's just I'm literally clueless at what to even draw, or even do those mind maps or whatever. Obviously I'm going to apply to other colleges too but I'm going to have to use the NCAD brief for my portfolio. Any help? Any pictures of your own work.. maybe? ;) Haha

Well first of all youre starting earlier than anybody I knew did so that's a great start. If you are getting no ideas, I would suggest a few things:

Firstly, make up the mind maps roughly first, it doesnt matter how you present them. What you should do is create the mind maps just with words, or lists of the main things that come into your head. When you think they are done, you can start by just presenting these in an interesting way. They suggest doing it quite visually, so put images and drawings/ paintings in with your words, kind of like little doodles, to represent the words. They arent picky with exactly how you do it, but you should keep it interesting, and Personal. Try and find some small ways of putting something unique into your pieces.

Secondly I would say keep a copy of the brief and your notebook with you always. I kept my brief in my notebook, which was always in my bag, to school, out to town, and at home with me wherever I was. Ideas will come if you just keep looking at the brief and writing down or scribbling your ideas in your notebook. This will make you more familiar with the brief's layout and requirements and also give you something else you can give them: your notebook. They really want to see your train of thought and work by asking specifically that you show your notebooks etc. I remember one of my best ideas actually came to me in the middle of a particularly boring class in school. I took it down right then and there and expanded upon it from there. The best way of getting your head around the brief is by having it with you nearly always.

Lastly I would tell you not to panic, but to keep at the thing. While it may seem ridiculous at the moment, you will begin to see that it is actually geared towards helping you along the process. The mind maps let you put your own ideas out in the categories they choose, and the rest of the exercises are mostly based upon those words that you came up with. To make the portfolio seem more magageable I would suggest that you take out the calender and plan out dates by which to finish sections and what not, leaving a certain amount of time free before the end to refine things and pull everything together, but that should be in your mind the whole time.

Regarding your subject matter, you should choose a general theme that your portfolio revolves around. It doesnt have to be strict and you shouldnt worry about it too much if you havent done much work yet. It usually becomes apparent during the process of doing the work. Nearly any subject matter is acceptable, as long as it can be related to the 4 words they give you to start with. Once again they want you to make this personal, and nothing is more personal than your subject matter.

I hope this made some sort of sense and wasnt too long. If you have any other focused questions I'd be happy to provide some of my thoughts. I don't think I should show any of my work by the way, because the brief is quite different to last years, and whatever direction you take it in is most probably what the college are looking for, as long as you follow their instructions to an extent.

Thanks a million for that help, sounds way more easier than just going at it straight away! :) And sorry for prying, I only wanted to see what an actual portfolio looks like and stuff!

By the way, how many points is art college? NCAD/LSAD mainly. I know its really based on portfolio but every time I see the points for art colleges it usually adds the points and portfolio points?

Also, I'm wondering is it any way possible to do art with something? Perhaps a language or something? And are there other ways of getting into art through other courses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 HtoTheHIZZAY

Thanks a million for that help, sounds way more easier than just going at it straight away! :) And sorry for prying, I only wanted to see what an actual portfolio looks like and stuff!

By the way, how many points is art college? NCAD/LSAD mainly. I know its really based on portfolio but every time I see the points for art colleges it usually adds the points and portfolio points?

Also, I'm wondering is it any way possible to do art with something? Perhaps a language or something? And are there other ways of getting into art through other courses?

LSAD adds leaving cert points and portfolio points together but NCAD is purely based on portfolio and how you interpret the brief. So basically with NCAD you find out Febuary/March whether you're in or not, but with LSAD you have to wait until after LC results. This year LSAD points were 740 (dropped 90 points since last year.) Just accepted an offer for there-I'm chuffed :D

AS far as a language goes I'm not sure if you can do one with an art course. And you can get into art college by doing a post leaving cert portfolio course if you don't get it first time around. :)

Hope that helped!

I completely understand that you'd want to see someone else's portfolio, while I was doing mine, I was reading through all the threads her on the portfolio, and I found a link this guy had put up of his own portfolio he had done the year before. I have the link below where he has put up all his works. I used it to see what someone else had done, and how they were going about it. My portfolio doesnt at all resemble this, even though the brief was similar both years, but I used it to see what someone else had come up with. If youre stuck for ideas and what not I would advise also literally searching boards with the word ncad and reading the threads all about the brief, college all that. There is a lot of information on this thread alone, 34 pages I think which have people asking about the brief since a few years ago.
    Art with a language I have never heard of before in any of the colleges around Dublin. I would say though that if youre looking for art and something else as a course, NCAD do split degrees. You could do teaching and history of art, or one of them with ceramics. I had a friend who did teaching and ceramics and really enjoyed it. Maybe google search art and language if that's what youre set on though, you might find something.
    Once again hope that helped, here's the link:
    http://xenzo.deviantart.com/gallery/12302362

LSAD adds leaving cert points and portfolio points together but NCAD is purely based on portfolio and how you interpret the brief. So basically with NCAD you find out Febuary/March whether you're in or not, but with LSAD you have to wait until after LC results. This year LSAD points were 740 (dropped 90 points since last year.) Just accepted an offer for there-I'm chuffed :D

AS far as a language goes I'm not sure if you can do one with an art course. And you can get into art college by doing a post leaving cert portfolio course if you don't get it first time around. :)

Hope that helped!

Yeah but what are the LSAD points without the portfolio points attached? I mean you can't get 740 in the leaving cert ;) Haha! Hope the points aren't too high anyway! So do you put ncad on the CAO? If so, should I put that first or what?

Catman103, thanks again, your advice is so helpful! :)

Edit: After looking at that example portfolio, wow! Thanks for that, I actually feel quite excited to get started now and it doesn't seem so hard anymore! Exactly what I needed! Onto starting my portfolio, I'm going to be getting my materials and stuff soon, so what exactly should I get? What size portfolio and size sheets do I need?(and how many?) Do I need sketchbooks? With just life drawing and such? and what kind of other materials do you recommend? I have a lot of different pencils so that's not a problem, but charcoals, watercolours, etc? Just in case I do something e.g. charcoal and it might get smudged :S

Yeah but what are the LSAD points without the portfolio points attached? I mean you can't get 740 in the leaving cert ;) Haha! Hope the points aren't too high anyway! So do you put ncad on the CAO? If so, should I put that first or what?

Catman103, thanks again, your advice is so helpful! :)

Edit: After looking at that example portfolio, wow! Thanks for that, I actually feel quite excited to get started now and it doesn't seem so hard anymore! Exactly what I needed! Onto starting my portfolio, I'm going to be getting my materials and stuff soon, so what exactly should I get? What size portfolio and size sheets do I need?(and how many?) Do I need sketchbooks? With just life drawing and such? and what kind of other materials do you recommend? I have a lot of different pencils so that's not a problem, but charcoals, watercolours, etc? Just in case I do something e.g. charcoal and it might get smudged :S

They say in the brief that the minimum size sheet you should have is A2, I'd say get one or two A2 size pads, and that should be enough, to accomodate scrap and finished pieces, then also an A2 portfolio which could hold your main pieces and sketchbooks.
    Yes sketchbooks are a big thing for NCAD, and it should have all your ideas and thought processes about your portfolio inside. Try and keep it all as related to the portfolio as possible, so life drawing wouldnt be necessary unless it is to do with your main works. As they say, they want to see how you think and work through the tasks they give you.
    Materials wise, just get common ones to start with, like pencils and paint, or whatever you work best with. On top of that though they like you using tactile, odd materials, like things you'd find around the house, or mixes of things. They want to see that you can break away from the norm, but the norm is still important to use for depicting your ideas and showing off your art skillz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

catman103 wrote: »
    I completely understand that you'd want to see someone else's portfolio, while I was doing mine, I was reading through all the threads her on the portfolio, and I found a link this guy had put up of his own portfolio he had done the year before. I have the link below where he has put up all his works. I used it to see what someone else had done, and how they were going about it. My portfolio doesnt at all resemble this, even though the brief was similar both years, but I used it to see what someone else had come up with. If youre stuck for ideas and what not I would advise also literally searching boards with the word ncad and reading the threads all about the brief, college all that. There is a lot of information on this thread alone, 34 pages I think which have people asking about the brief since a few years ago.
    Art with a language I have never heard of before in any of the colleges around Dublin. I would say though that if youre looking for art and something else as a course, NCAD do split degrees. You could do teaching and history of art, or one of them with ceramics. I had a friend who did teaching and ceramics and really enjoyed it. Maybe google search art and language if that's what youre set on though, you might find something.
    Once again hope that helped, here's the link:
    http://xenzo.deviantart.com/gallery/12302362

That link was a great help in seeing what the portfolio actually looks like, thanks :)

Advertisement