Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio Brief. HELP & ADVICE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 stevery!

word on the street is ncad letters will be arriving on thursday...fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 killianfallon

Do you mean as in Thursday 15th or Thursday 23rd? And if we don't get in, do we get a letter to say that we have been unsuccessful, or do they just not send a letter at all? :S Soooo nervous!!!!

thursday the 22nd. its not set in stone but that's what i've heard. yeah don't worry they'll send you a letter regardless. i know i've never been so anxious in my life!

i just called ncad and the letters aren't being sent out til next week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

stevery! wrote: »

Thanks, I'm nervous about it though, don't want my letter! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 I am

early next week I hope? :P

i think its actually tomorrow!

i think its actually tomorrow!

I rang them today and they said tonight, tomorrow, or Monday at the latest. But even if they send them then, how quick is the post system? I mean within Dublin would it arrive like that day or the next day or something?

I rang them today and they said tonight, tomorrow, or Monday at the latest. But even if they send them then, how quick is the post system? I mean within Dublin would it arrive like that day or the next day or something?

Usually about 2 days but the post doesn't come here at the weekend so it could be even later than that I think?

i got my letter today and i got in! best of luck everyone :)

• Advertisement

I got my letter, I'm on the waiting list but I only have 413 points so I'm probably at the bottom :(
    It's better than a no anyway, but I just don't like not knowing for definite where I'm going for booking accommodation, or even if I'm going to college this year :/

How did everyone else get on?

Got in with 650 ,absolutly delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Guysim1993

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an idea of what the (combined) minimum points are for Leaving cert students for LSAD?

Last year the combined points was 740, and I doubt it that it will rise much higher than that, since they are looking to take in around 60 more people due to the new 4-year Animation and Photography courses.

congratulations! i got in with 695, see you in college :)

I got in with 718! Insanely delighted :D I was screaming when I got the letter

well done! just noticed that your location says dubai, did you apply from all the way over there?

well done! just noticed that your location says dubai, did you apply from all the way over there?

Yep! :D Been living here 18 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lecirque

I got in too with 700 points XD see you september !

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FiB3

:) got in with 732:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FiB3

guitarzero wrote: »
    HouseHippo wrote: »
    Anyone who has done a portfolio or anyone who wants to offer some advice.....

Here's the brief
    http://www.ncad.ie/portfolio/brief.html

How do they like portfolio's to be presented?
    Anywhere I can look at portfolio's
    Any tips

:eek::eek::eek::eek:PANIC!!:confused::confused::confused:

NCAD? Just change your address to D4, Dun laoighre or Castleknock, you'll have one foot in the door.

That's unfair they judge on artistic talent, what u just said sounded like a bitter comment from someone who got rejected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 lauren14

Hey, I am planning on applying to the NCAD for Sept 2013, I'm just wondering, how many sketchbooks would I need to include? And what is the average portfolio score that would get you a place? Thanks :)

lauren14 wrote: »
    Hey, I am planning on applying to the NCAD for Sept 2013, I'm just wondering, how many sketchbooks would I need to include? And what is the average portfolio score that would get you a place? Thanks :)

I did the portfolio brief for this year and I think it's a max. of 3 sketch books. They're really only interested in things related to the brief, like your ideas and plans for things. Some people try to put in other work into the NCAD portfolio but you won't get points for that.

Not sure about the portfolio score, I think it might change a bit every year. The pass mark is around 400 I think.

lauren14 wrote: »

this year the cut off score was 545 :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

I am wrote: »
    this year the cut off score was 545 :)

2 yrs ago it was 600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

I was just reading the first few pages... I saw a couple of negative comments saying Colaste Dhulaigh don't focus on Ncad brief, and don't even try to get you into it, because they say NCAD is crap. Is this for real? I'm starting their portfolio course in September, after hearing so many good things about it but now i'm so nervous and scared. Granted the comments were from 2009, but have things changed? Do they still not cover ncad that much?! Gonna be so annoyed if they don't :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

I was just reading the first few pages... I saw a couple of negative comments saying Colaste Dhulaigh don't focus on Ncad brief, and don't even try to get you into it, because they say NCAD is crap. Is this for real? I'm starting their portfolio course in September, after hearing so many good things about it but now i'm so nervous and scared. Granted the comments were from 2009, but have things changed? Do they still not cover ncad that much?! Gonna be so annoyed if they don't :mad:

NCAD is not the end all and be all. Go and look at the different colleges, see what they have to offer, ASK current students like 1st or 2nd yrs what do they think ? Is the Core year going to suit you ? What happens if you don't get into Painting, Print or Vis-Com ? Or would an interdisciplinary course be more suited to you ? I did the brief a few years back and I was 5 points short but you know I was kinda happy I didn't get in, for my own reasons. My point is you are going some where for 4 years ! be sure you wil be happy there not just being there but happy to work there.

I know NCAD isn't the end of the world, but my area is not Painting, it's Fashion Design, and there's only a very limited amount of courses that revolve around Fashion Design, so if one of them is ruled out from the begining, especially one that has as much merit and as good of a reputation as it has, ofc i'm not going to feel okay about it... especially if it's the one college I was hoping to get into. I just would really like someone, if they can to please let me know, if the comments on page 4 or 5 or something, were generalizations or in some shape or form incorrect. Really don't need to be stressing about another thing right now... :\

Thanks for your reply though, greatly appreciated :D

I know NCAD isn't the end of the world, but my area is not Painting, it's Fashion Design, and there's only a very limited amount of courses that revolve around Fashion Design, so if one of them is ruled out from the begining, especially one that has as much merit and as good of a reputation as it has, ofc i'm not going to feel okay about it... especially if it's the one college I was hoping to get into. I just would really like someone, if they can to please let me know, if the comments on page 4 or 5 or something, were generalizations or in some shape or form incorrect. Really don't need to be stressing about another thing right now... :\

Thanks for your reply though, greatly appreciated :D

To be honest, you should be able to do the brief on your own. That's the point of it.

I did the NCAD brief during 6th year and I liked that way of doing a portfolio but I can see why a portfolio course wouldn't focus on it. It's only one college out of a lot. I want to do fashion design too and wanted to go to NCAD but now I'd prefer to get Limerick.

You could always just take a year out and do the NCAD portfolio on your own.

I already took a year out, I'm positive on doing the course, seeing i've already payed for it. Guess I just have to hope that they will at least cover NCAD, because from the impression i'm getting, they dismiss it and treat it like it's crap. We'll see, but thanks for the feedback!

• Advertisement

I already took a year out, I'm positive on doing the course, seeing i've already payed for it. Guess I just have to hope that they will at least cover NCAD, because from the impression i'm getting, they dismiss it and treat it like it's crap. We'll see, but thanks for the feedback!

Oh ok. Even if they don't do it specifically, you could always work the NCAD brief into the work you do on their portfolio course. That could work too.

Advertisement