Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

So I got those steak and ale pies mentioned in the Aldi thread.

Was thinking of having them with carrot and parsnip mash and green beans.

Or might be too lazy and make a sandwich, but that's the plan anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Real goulash (no peppers and only a spoon of tomato puree but 2 types of paprika and caraway seeds) with spätzle made with my new spätzle maker (beats using a colander).

Made Chilli last night - browned brisket and mince...

Looks great.

Brisket... Is that like stewing beef aka casserole beef?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I had a sh!t day so made homemade beans on toast with cheese. That counts as dinner, right?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I had a sh!t day so made homemade beans on toast with cheese. That counts as dinner, right?!

100% Ok!
    Often done it myself,no judgement here!

• Advertisement

Certainly does. Sounds like a lot of my days.

And I've enjoyed beans on toast at home more than I have enjoyed eating out in fancy restaurants. Truth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I felt like something warming and comforting with the cold weather. So I made a chuncky, hearty minestrone.

DES6wnK.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Shenshen, recipe please?. I made a successful broccoli and cheddar soup recently so feeling brave to try something new.

Shenshen, recipe please?. I made a successful broccoli and cheddar soup recently so feeling brave to try something new.

I'm really bad with recipes, I have to admit. But from memory, I used the following:

1 brown onion, chopped
    2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    2 stalks of celery
    1 carrot, diced
    2 baby potatoes, cut into small pieces
    1 green bell pepper, cut into small pieces
    3-4 cauliflower florets, broken up finely
    handful of mangetout, sliced finely
    handful of alphabet pasta (don't ask, it was sitting in the press for some forgotten reason)

ca 1l of vegetable stock
    ca 1 tbsp of tomato puree
    1 tbsp of ajvar (pepper and aubergine paste, made it nice an creamy)
    some grated pecorino cheese (parmesan is traditional, but I'm vegetarian)

Fry the onion, celery, pepper and garlic in some olive oil at medium temperature. You just want it to soften, not go brown.
    Once these are softened, add the stock,carrots, potatoes, cauliflower and pasta. Simmer until the potatoes are just about soft, then add the mangetouts.
    Stir in the tomato puree, ajvar and cheese and season to taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Be right back

Salmon and egg fried rice. Very tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Chicken tacos - chicken breast marinated for a few hours in cayenne, paprika, garlic, salt and lime then cooked on a griddle pan.

In to hard tacos with pico de gallo salsa, which I need to figure out how to get drier because it was way too wet, and sour cream.

Should probably have thrown some cheese on to make it dirtier, because until the sour cream goes in that actually sounds disturbingly healthy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

L1011 wrote: »
    In to hard tacos with pico de gallo salsa, which I need to figure out how to get drier because it was way too wet

Couple of things that may help. Don't make too far ahead. Make 15 minutes before eating. Toss the cored tomatoes in a colander after chopping them and just before serving, transfer everything to a new bowl with a slotted spoon. Salt draws water from tomatoes like a motherf<cker.

Had to be quick, so I made noodles and veg stir fry in a sticky spicy sauce

KYceXYp.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Burgers cooking on the bbq.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

beertons wrote: »
    Burgers cooking on the bbq.

With two boxes of Heineken for 30 quid I hope!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Tonkatsu pork - pork chops de-fatted, pounded flatter and coated in panko breadcrumbs. Very hard to work out a specific veg and sauce to use with it which is the problem - ended up having it with bog standard brown sauce, chopped cabbage and mayonnaise!

Hi
    would you shallow fry this or cook in oven please?
    usually I'd grill pork chops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

I had a bean curry with yoghurt on top of spaghetti. I actually loved the spaghetti tbh. It made it reall, really meaty.

I had a bean curry with yoghurt on top of spaghetti. I actually loved the spaghetti tbh. It made it reall, really meaty.

What did I just read lol!

Shenshen wrote: »
    Had to be quick, so I made noodles and veg stir fry in a sticky spicy sauce

Looks great!

I like to add a bit of mirin to stir fries for sweetness. Also, Springclears's tamari is the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Yeah, a little bit 'hick' I guess, but it is wheat based and you sometimes have bread with curry.

Try it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi

Shallow or deep fry! Can keep in the oven on low on a grill rack to stop it doing soggy if you're trying in batches

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Spaghetti is just noodles.
    Curry with noodles wouldn't seem strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Spaghetti is just noodles.
    There is a way to make spaghetti more like noodles. In supermarkets noodles (besides own brand supernoodles) are usually fairly expensive for what they are, while own brand spaghetti can be very cheap.

Turn Your Pasta Into Ramen With Baking Soda

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi

Fry, don't think it'd be at all right done in an oven. "Air fryer" (high speed convection/hot air oven) might do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fry, don't think it'd be at all right done in an oven. "Air fryer" (high speed convection/hot air oven) might do it.

My mum used to do breaded pork chops in the oven. She's brown them in a pan and then cook them in the oven. They were lovely but pretty different, alright, to Tonkatsu. Softer crumb and softer meat.

Smoked mackerel (aldi) with roast carrots and peas.

A chicken & bacon pie from the piemaster book:

20191215-141001-600x1067.jpg

20191215-141555-800x450.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Oh God. That looks like an amazing pie.

I've become so shít at cooking lately: long cook curries on the stove, slow cooked beef, pork neck, microwave fresh veg with seasoning. Nothing I cook is very eye appealing!

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Oh God. That looks like an amazing pie.

I've become so shít at cooking lately: long cook curries on the stove, slow cooked beef, pork neck, microwave fresh veg with seasoning. Nothing I cook is very eye appealing!

Nowt wrong with slow cooking! Perfect for this weather and far more practical for families. In my experience trying to cook something from scratch with raw meat and unprepared veg is next to impossible when you have two smallies hanging off you, unless you're happy not to eat before 8pm. (microwave veg has its place too!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

My mum used to do breaded pork chops in the oven. She's brown them in a pan and then cook them in the oven. They were lovely but pretty different, alright, to Tonkatsu. Softer crumb and softer meat.

Pan Fried them!
    Very tasty and very happy the breadcrumbs stayed on.
    Next time I'd probly marinate in the sauce before bread crumbing and frying.
    IMG_0482.JPG

Advertisement