Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Did you post the wrong link? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Did you post the wrong link? :)

There are actually two links there - if you click on the first part you see the stew :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭trashcan

Dumplings in a stew are so good but not popular with Irish people, generally.
    It was my English(ish) wife got me into suet pies and dumplings.
    I think it's the unbrowned, steamed look that puts people off.

Yeah, it wouldn't be for me. Have had dumplings in Austria and found them just pure stodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

trashcan wrote: »
    Yeah, it wouldn't be for me. Have had dumplings in Austria and found them just pure stodge.

Some of the Austrian ones can be pretty big and heavy, alright. I tend to make them golf ball size. Counterintuitively, suet makes them lighter and less stodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Beef wellington. Bit of work but easy enough. Wrapped in parma ham and a nice duxelle.

IMG-20191027-194255.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I made this creamy chicken thigh & leek bake earlier this week and it was so good I was craving it again about 3 days later :o

Had it with the roasted garlic clove sourdough from Tesco and it was great, such lovely BHM comfort food.

Recipe here! I added mushrooms and halved the mustard for my own preference.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/creamy-chicken-bean-leek-traybake

493917.jpeg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tonkatsu pork - pork chops de-fatted, pounded flatter and coated in panko breadcrumbs. Very hard to work out a specific veg and sauce to use with it which is the problem - ended up having it with bog standard brown sauce, chopped cabbage and mayonnaise!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Today's dinner was delicious, didn't get a photo as I had the outlaws over, but we had butterflied lamb shoulder marinated in corriander and mint, Moroccan style roast potatoes on the side, and some chickpea salad (chickpea, red onion, grape tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper, all chopped up with fresh parsley, and a home made dressing of red wine vinegar and olive oil) and mixed in a few chopped avocados splashed with lemon juice.

It was absolutely savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Space Dog

L1011 wrote: »
    Tonkatsu pork - pork chops de-fatted, pounded flatter and coated in panko breadcrumbs. Very hard to work out a specific veg and sauce to use with it which is the problem - ended up having it with bog standard brown sauce, chopped cabbage and mayonnaise!

Proper good tonkatsu is probably my desert island dish. I love it. Not trying to be smart, but there's tonkatsu sauce - I use Bull-dog tonkatsu sauce. And kewpie mayo. I get them in Asian stores and that mayo is way nicer than Hellman's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Beef Wellington is all about getting the timing right, the pastry needs to be properly cooked but the meat still rare, that looks spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Found a Nigella Lawson recipe for Pasta with Brussel Sprouts, Cheese and Potatoes, thought I’d give it a try.

Delicious it was, everyone had seconds. Highly recommended.

C242-C6-A8-8465-4-DB4-8-CDC-92-A04-C3-D1-D8-A.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/hearty_wholewheat_pasta_66804

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Found a Nigella Lawson recipe for Pasta with Brussel Sprouts, Cheese and Potatoes, thought I’d give it a try.

Delicious it was, everyone had seconds. Highly recommended.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/hearty_wholewheat_pasta_66804

Ok, I'll freely admit that going by the description, I have my doubts. But I might give it a go, I love being proved wrong when it comes to food!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

M&S tempura chicken with stir fried veg and sweet chilli sauce.

IMG-7091.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

L1011 wrote: »

sounds lovely!
    i've pork chops lurking in the freezer now have perfect excuse to take them out

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

One of my staple favourites. Beautiful baked Rooster with a winter salad of grated raw carrot, grated raw apple, grated cheese and a handful of sultanas … fast and simple and very satisfying and tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I had quorn enchiladas with egg fried rice and a garlic/ mayo/ mascarpone (had no sour cream) dip.

Gloomtastic, that sprouts and pasta thing sounds amazing- proper winter warmer!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had gambas pil pil, tomato salad and garlic toasts.

Stuffed pork steak, roast potatoes, carrots broccoli and cauliflower, roasted butternut squash - and apple sauce :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Pasta with broccoli and mushrooms in a blue cheese sauce

sNCWZKr.jpg

Took the old meat grider & sausage maker for a spin. Tasted great but need more fat in there.

Capture.png

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    Took the old meat grider & sausage maker for a spin. Tasted great but need more fat in there.

Can I ask what machinery you have and whether you'd recommend it? I'm thinking of getting sausage making equipment for Mr Dizzy for Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Can I ask what machinery you have and whether you'd recommend it? I'm thinking of getting sausage making equipment for Mr Dizzy for Christmas :)

I do not recommend the Lidl one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Roasted baby potatoes, black pudding and runny poached eggs. Very much as a result of not doing the regular Monday night grocery shop due to the weather but delicious all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Haven't made a post on here complete with photos in ages so grabbed the camera last night and took a few of what I made to be eaten this evening.

Brisket/Mince Chilli Con Carne

Did it in a casserole dish on the hob to start with, before transferring to the oven and cooked on low for a couple of hours.

First step, Browning the meat in the casserole dish with onions, garlic and spices.

IMG-20191103-172702-1.jpg

Highly recommend this stuff for anyone who likes a good chilli.

IMG-20191103-172723.jpg

And this was the finished article, served inside the biggest spud I could find In the press, baked in the oven for an hour.

IMG-20191104-183952.jpg

It was delicious.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oddly enough, slow/low cooked chuck + mince chili was tonights dinner here. Day off so had the time.

Can't remember where I saw a recipe recommending you flip the slab of mince (if bought like that) in to a pot intact to get at least one side browned through but it definitely gets you more properly browned meat than breaking up the mince on the way in to the pot as old advice was. Just releases too much water that way.

Was in Aldi earlier, and found a perfectly ripe mango in their fruit/veg weekly specials. So, we had fish tacos with mango salsa :D

Not 100% as not home now but think its this one or similar.

41P3nwowKLL._SX425_.jpg

Fairly basic but does the job. Can be frustrating when grinding up tougher pieces of meat. My advice would be to go for as powerful as possible. As much wattage for your buck as you can go.

Its great for mincing to make burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I do not recommend the Lidl one.

Nor me.

It couldn't cope with the stringy bits in pork shoulder, however often I reversed the motor. So, clear it all out, and start again ... and again ...

I pushed it all through with brute force in the end, but I busted the seal at the back of the screw. Can't get the seal on its own (though got a quick and helpful response when I asked) :)

It filled the sausage skins well once I got the mixture made.

Can't remember everything else I've used it for, but it always objected to anything that's not soft and easy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Highly recommend this stuff for anyone who likes a good chilli.

It was delicious.

That Luchito paste is the best.
    I bet it was delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Oven tomato mushroom risotto. I used paella rice this time instead of Tesco's risotto rice, and I think it has made a positive difference.

Advertisement