Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Kilkenny supporter here , just like to say i think D Mcrath done brillant job over 5 years and was extremely unfortunate this year with injuries ...no team in any sport would survive with that list of injuries .....i thought he desereved a better end .....in my mind waterford were the only team to stop galway ...with a full pick i believe they have more potential than anyone .....one switch i would do is T D Burcha in full back and Gleeson centre back ....what a spine you have then ....all the best to Derek a true Gael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Surprised nobody mentioned Colm Bonnar/Andy Moloney?? Or Kevin Ryan either?? Would Michael Ryan go for it again??
    I would like to add my utter admiration for Derek McGrath. I always enjoyed his honesty in interviews after the game, he was always very respectful and none more so than in the officiating debacle in Limerick. Twas a real measure of the man the way he kept his counsel. An unreal passion for Waterford, a great hurling man, I'll miss him patrolling the sidelines. One of my highlights would be him squaring up to Cody in Thurles last year and he didn't back down! Nor did his team when they went on to beat us. It's a pity that ye didn't win last year for great men like himself and Brick, men that all hurling people have huge respect for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

It’s sad to see Derek go. Nobody has come any closer than him since 1959. He brought us some great moments and special memories and is a true Waterford legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

phkk wrote: »
    Surprised nobody mentioned Colm Bonnar/Andy Moloney?? Or Kevin Ryan either?? Would Michael Ryan go for it again??
    I would like to add my utter admiration for Derek McGrath. I always enjoyed his honesty in interviews after the game, he was always very respectful and none more so than in the officiating debacle in Limerick. Twas a real measure of the man the way he kept his counsel. An unreal passion for Waterford, a great hurling man, I'll miss him patrolling the sidelines. One of my highlights would be him squaring up to Cody in Thurles last year and he didn't back down! Nor did his team when they went on to beat us. It's a pity that ye didn't win last year for great men like himself and Brick, men that all hurling people have huge respect for.

Kevin Ryan??? I presume you are taking the pi*s with that one.

He isn’t related to the second cousin of an Inter County manager. Ask Antrim, Tyrone and Offaly what to think of Kevin Ryan. Couldn’t wait to see the back of him.
    Way out of his depth even at that level.
    In Antrim he wouldn’t pick the best hurler in the county Liam Watson during the term because some Cushendall hurler was jealous of Watson.
    Complete farce.

Anyway I think Colm Bonnar would be an excellent choice. Has done well in most jobs he took.

Again maybe someone like Liam Sheedy or Dalo who are used to the pressure cooker environment would suit these Group of talented lads better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Eddie also thought Patrick Curran was playing today

That doesn't mean what he said was wrong about the steps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sad to hear Derek is gone and I want to thank him for the great job he has done. He gave us some great days out, gave the job 100% and wish him all the best what ever he does now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Sad to hear Derek is gone and I want to thank him for the great job he has done. He gave us some great days out, gave the job 100% and wish him all the best what ever he does now

Sad to see a great guy leaving the Waterford job. Derek give it huge effort and did what he could for Waterford. He had established a great team and hopefully the next manager in can make a few improvements that will advance them on more. 2018 was unlucky for Waterford but they can bounce back again. Next year is a new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Sean Power would be an absolute horrendous choice. He’s not even well respected in MT.Sion.
    I could see a lot of the players taking a year out if he was put in charge.
    He may have won two All Ireland’s but come on that was one of the best minor teams to ever come out of Waterford.
    We shouldn’t have lost last year to Cork at home. They were missing one of their seniors players, I’ll judge him on games like that and why he’s never taken the club manager job at Mt.Sion or any other senior team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    We shouldn’t have lost last year to Cork at home. They were missing one of their seniors players, I’ll judge him on games like that and why he’s never taken the club manager job at Mt.Sion or any other senior team

Ah ok, so he’s a failure because they were effectively robbed in that Cork game last year? They were two points up with time up and Cork were gifted a penalty. Waterford should have been out of site but correct me if I’m wrong, did they not lose one or two lads to injury coming down the stretch? Ridiculous to judge Sean Power on that match alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

IanVW wrote: »
    So wonder who might be in the running
    Anthony daly
    Fergal Hartley
    Dj Carey
    Sean Power
    Peter Quelly
    Fintan o connor
    Jason ryan
    Ken Mcgrath
    Any others feel free to add:)

Knock the bottom 4 from that list straight away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Thanks for everything Derek McGrath and management team, overall a fantastic few years. Hopefully he'll come back some day to finish the job. Some of the players tweets sum it up better than any of us could
    AussieGleeson

@AussieGleeson
    11h11 hours ago
    More
    I’m absolutely gutted that Derek McGrath who has done so much for this county, myself on a personal level and anyone who has dealt with him is stepping away!! The amount of work he has put in that nobody realises is incredible! He will sorely missed by this whole team!! #GachL
    Brian O Halloran

@brianoh91
    11h11 hours ago
    More
    Normally wouldn’t tweet something this but needs to be said how unbelievable Derek was. Did more for us as hurlers and men than anyone will ever know. Gach rud gach la
    Noel Connors

@NoelieConnors
    11h11 hours ago
    More
    More than a manager.... Thank you Mac

Whoo hoo

As classy as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

of the list above, Daly is the only one. if we take the cheap way out of this it could set us back years!

i don't think the nay sayers realize how good a coach McGrath is until he is gone. the statement issued in its self is a true testament of him as a person and the bond that is there between him and his players and their families. i think whoever comes in next year is going into a poison chalice. its going to be next to impossible for a new manager to strike up that bond with the panel between November/December and May next year! it has taken McGrath years to get where we are today as one of the top teams in Ireland.

the next appointment is going to have a huge character inside and outside of the camp. i would do my upmost to include Shanahan and Murphy as the backroom staff to keep some sort of link from the previous regime. this appointment is critical to Waterford Hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Some really good days under Derek, particularly last year when we beat Kilkenny and cork in massive games, also winning the league back in 2015 when nobody expected it.

No questioning Derek's commitment to the job, he gave it his all for 5 years. I do think it's the correct decision to step down now, thanks for all the effort Derek, came closer than any Waterford team since 1959 to winning that elusive All-ireland. Pity it all ended so badly this year, not a fair reflection of where we were at under him between 2015 and 2017.

Next appointment is crucial. With Walsh park redevelopment imminent, it's unlikely county board would have funds to bring in a sheedy or daly type from outside. Another local I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Is Eoin Murphy an option? Apparently has done well as selector, would also be an 'inside' man to what seems to be a very tight group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Excellent interview with Derek at present on WLR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Sean Power would be an absolute horrendous choice. He’s not even well respected in MT.Sion.
    I could see a lot of the players taking a year out if he was put in charge.
    He may have won two All Ireland’s but come on that was one of the best minor teams to ever come out of Waterford.

Only for him.they'd have won no u21 all ireland and shouldve won more in yewrs preseeding tbh

However I fear a bad trimming for the u21 tomorrow night could hole below the waterline his candidate for the job....Idk have the county board money for an outside manager though?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Blaas4life wrote: »
    Only for him.they'd have won no u21 all ireland and shouldve won more in yewrs preseeding tbh

However I fear a bad trimming for the u21 tomorrow night could hole below the waterline his candidate for the job....Idk have the county board money for an outside manager though?

are you for the birds re the u21?

Myself, Eamon Keane & Val Doonican could have managed that team to win the u21, with Matt Keane corner back too. They were absolutely head and shoulders above anything.

Keep in mind the majority of that team were on the senior panel for 1-2 years at this stage and plenty of the conditioning work done as part of that set up.

Not to take from the achievement, which it seems I am, it was fantastic, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Has never managed an adult team in any grade in his life over a season. I wouldn't be against him being part of a set up, but lets have some perspective here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭decies

Tom Murphy saying on WLR that the county board should resign on mass the way they have handed the walsh park fiasco !! #catamongstthepigeons

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ted Danson

I think you're being a bit unfair about how good an achievement the u21 win was. In 2012 Fergal Hartley was over the under 21's and we got beaten by 21 points. That waterford team was packed with top class hurlers: S O’Keeffe; J Barron, S O’Keeffe, Phillip Mahony; P Prendergast, D Fives, E Madigan; R Barry, G O’Brien; B O’Halloran, E Murphy, F Murray; Pauric Mahony (c), M O’Neill, J Dillon.

• Advertisement

decies wrote: »
    Tom Murphy saying on WLR that the county board should  resign on mass !! #catamongstthepigeons
    He didn't hold back. No company car for anyone on the county board any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Well done Tom Murphy!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Well said Tom Murphy, he knows what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

More noise needs to be made within the county and at a munster and national level.

This situaiton was forced on us. Let us play our home games where we want, or else make all waterford games at a neutral venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

So what is Tom Murphy sayng should be happening? Carriganore is it?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Paddy Joe mentioning having a new manager in by late september/October by county final time . Typical county board attitude. It needs to be done quicker than that or players will start to drift away . Club members really need to take a look at who they are nominating as county board delegates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Until a stand is made about the disaster of renovating Walsh Park the planned works will go ahead. Well said Tom Murphy. Sean Power 11/8 favourite for the position. Would certainly need a strong team around him.

cul beag wrote: »
    Until a stand is made about the disaster of renovating Walsh Park the planned works will go ahead. Well said Tom Murphy. Sean Power 11/8 favourite for the position. Would certainly need a strong team around him.

Brendan Cummins 8/11 fav on PP. Sean power 7/2.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Sept/Oct is way too late... We have a real chance to make something good out of exiting the all ireland so early.
    cul beag wrote:
    Until a stand is made
    exuse the pun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A sub committee should be set up containing a few current panel members along with CB officials and ex players to find the right man

This appointment is both exciting and worrying at the same time. Derek had the panel so close together. Remember success won't be imment with the new management team and it may take a while to get used to new ideas/tactics and some players may not come back for 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

decies wrote: »
    Tom Murphy saying on WLR that the county board should resign on mass the way they have handed the walsh park fiasco !! #catamongstthepigeons

The Dunhill Jacobites still dreaming of the return of the Old Pretender. Good luck with that.

KevIRL wrote: »

Dear god no

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Deise boii

I really think they should go all out and try and get Mattie Kenny the Cuala manager. Think he would be the ideal candidate. Supposed be meticulous in his planning and organising, plays an attractive brand of hurling too and is successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

are you for the birds re the u21?

Myself, Eamon Keane & Val Doonican could have managed that team to win the u21, with Matt Keane corner back too. They were absolutely head and shoulders above anything.

Keep in mind the majority of that team were on the senior panel for 1-2 years at this stage and plenty of the conditioning work done as part of that set up.

Not to take from the achievement, which it seems I am, it was fantastic, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Has never managed an adult team in any grade in his life over a season. I wouldn't be against him being part of a set up, but lets have some perspective here.

You can’t manage to tip a winner in Tramore never mind manage a team. Go away out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

Donal Og Cusack.......

• Advertisement

Ya just saw that now. Working under Fintan O Connor hardly exudes confidence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Buff Egan 500-1 on PP :D:D:D:pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

garv123 wrote:
    Buff Egan 500-1 on PP

Back him each way:)

garv123 wrote: »
    Buff Egan 500-1 on PP :D:D:D:pac:

Gone into 150/1 already. Must be serious money going on him...

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The Waterford u21 Hurling Team to face Cork tomorrow night in the Munster Semi Final has been named..[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1. Billy Nolan (Roanmore)
    2. John Curran (Dungarvan)
    3. Mikey Daykin (Mount Sion)[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
    4. Darragh Lynch (Passage)
    5. Calum Lyons (Ballyduff Lower)
    6. Jordan Henley (Tallow)
    7. Garry Cullinane (Passage)
    8. Andrew Casey (Ballyduff Upper)
    9. Mikey Mahony (Ballygunner)
    10. Eddie Meaney (De La Salle)
    11. Peter Hogan (Ballygunner)
    12. John Kennedy (Mount Sion)
    13. John Paul Lucey (Shamrocks)
    14. Darragh Lyons (Dungarvan)
    15. Neil Montgomery (Abbeyside)[/font][/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Best of Luck to Sean Power, his management team and all the panel![/font][/font]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭supernova5

The Dalai Lama with Donald Trump and Prince Charles at 300 to 1 would be a good aul wager

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

supernova5 wrote: »
    The Dalai Lama with Donald Trump and Prince Charles at 300 to 1 would be a good aul wager

Sure Zidane is a free man now. He might give it a shot.

Paddy Joe mentioning having a new manager in by late september/October by county final time . Typical county board attitude. It needs to be done quicker than that or players will start to drift away . Club members really need to take a look at who they are nominating as county board delegates etc.

Drift where?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Well said Tom Murphy, he knows what we need.
    It's all well and good saying the county board are no good, I'm fairly certain that anyone here who is part of their club committe who wanted to go foward as county board representative who have no bother going foward and going..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

I'd be fairly certain that we would be rank outsiders tomorrow for the 21 game..

Anyone know the last time we didn't have a senior starter on the under twenty one team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Donal og Cusack should be number one man on list ....fantastic hurling brain ....

Brendan Cummins is favorite on what basis though? What experience has he? We have to be doing better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Gone into 150/1 already. Must be serious money going on him...

Just had a quick look but overround would have been off, No way there's any smart money going on him

cul beag wrote: »
    Brendan Cummins is favorite on what basis though? What experience has he? We have to be doing better than that.

These things are a joke market who's only real purpose is to give the bookies publicity. I wouldn't read anything into the odds.

thesultan wrote: »
    I'd be fairly certain that we would be rank outsiders tomorrow for the 21 game..

Anyone know the last time we didn't have a senior starter on the under twenty one team?

Cork 1/9 and the handicap is 7 points so yep, rank outsiders is right

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement