Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive Vibes. Negative Splits.

Options
  • 25-05-2018 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I enjoy reading the logs here so I'm starting a log here mainly to be accountable to myself but also I'm hoping I can get a bit of advice along the way. I'm club runner and we have a coach but most my sessions are done on my own which can be hard, but it's circumstances out of my control.

This summer I'm training for mainly 5km races. I had a couple of 5k races this year nothing hectic 18:51 and 18:44. I hope to get close as possible to my 2016 PB 17:59 in Rathfarham at the end of September.  These are the dates and distances I hope to race.

14th June 5k
    8th July 5k
    13th July 4 mile
    8th September 5k
    30th September 5k

I know a lot of runners here use the imperial system but I use metric so apologies in advance. Over 1200km on the clock this year and around 70km average per week over the past two months. So a nice base behind me, okay let's see how this goes. I'll update this every Sunday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

MONDAY

Rest day

TUESDAY

A unexpected easy 3.3km @4:49/km in the early evening. Later that evening club training on the track.

Warm up, drills, and strides 1.5km

8x1km tempo with 45 seconds off.  It was a broken session so while it was a cruise tempo session the idea was to keep it relaxed and focus on form. Just slightly faster than 10mile pace.

3:57, 3:59, 3:59, 3:58, 3:56, 4:00, 3:57, 3:59

1.8km cool down

WEDNESDAY

12.1km easy @4:47/k
    Maybe a little too fast

THURSDAY

8km easy @5:01/k
    This was my first week cutting my Thursday easy run back to 8k from the usual 12/13km on my coaches advice so I'm fresher for Fridays workout.

FRIDAY

Decreasing ladder in distance while trying to increase the speed for each rep. All with 2 minutes standing recovery. On the track

1.7km warm up with drills and strides.

2k @3:50/km
    1 mile @3:42/km
    1200m @3:41/km
    With 3x 800m to finish  @3:35/km, 3:38/km, 3:38/km

Cool down 1.8km

I had to head out early so I couldn't make our Club session at 8pm. Over 20 degrees with a strong enough wind. I really enjoyed this due to the weather and I love the faster sessions too. The only thing I did wrong was the first 800 was just a bit too fast and I struggled a bit on the last rep. because of it. Good hard session, very happy overall.

SATURDAY

Recovery run 5k @5:43/km in the morning. Looking at Garmin Connect afterwards I noticed that my cadence was 170 average without even thinking about it during my run. I'd have expected it to be lower because of the slower pace.

SUNDAY

The local GAA Club had a fundraiser Saturday night so I gave the 8am run with the lads a miss and went out in the afternoon instead. Very warm but a peach of a day.

16.7km @4:50/km

Happy with the week, I've a slight niggle on the inside of my right knee that has been coming on going the past month. So I'll have to watch it.

Weekly distance 68km which is down 5km on last week.

MONDAY

Rest day I was thinking of doing 5 to 8km easy but with that little niggle on my knee I decided its better to take a day off.

TUESDAY

My knee seemed OK so club training on the track. The juniors were doing long jump training so a good buzz about the place. Still very warm at 8pm

Split session

Warm up, drills, and strides 3.4km

4km at LT or 10km pace (3:53,3:53,3:54,3:56) I slowed off a bit on the final kilometer. Then two minutes standing recovery.

Then 5x800 (2:59,2:58,2:56,2:56,2:55) again with two minutes standing recovery between each rep.

2.3km cool down

My 800s last Friday were 2:52 to 2:54 but today we were told start a small bit outside 5k pace and work it down a little. I could feel a very slight niggle in my knee towards the end.

WEDNESDAY

AM: My knee was quite sore when I woke up so a small bit of resistant band work on my knee, nothing to strenuous.

PM: Still quite sore so took the evening off and made an appointment with the Mayo Sports Clinic in Ballina for for Friday Morning.

THURSDAY

Off again. I felt I could go for a easy 8k/5mile but decided best to wait until Friday and see what the physio said about it. Small bit of core and glutes work in the evening.

FRIDAY

AM: Appointment with the sports clinic in Ballina. I was here last year for a serious enough injury that kept me off for most of 2017. I find them excellent and really recommend them to anyone in Mayo/Sligo area. They are confident it's nothing too serious.... I went over slightly on my knee about a month ago at training, and this niggle seems to be steming from that. It acts up after speed work, hence why it was bothering me Wednesday morning after Tuesdays workout. Very tight quad on my right side too. Massive improvements in my foot strike and gait since I was there last year which I've been working on. Advised to take today off again with some easy running over the weekend and aim to be back on the track for Tuesdays sessions

PM:Planned session on the track of 6km tempo followed by ladder 100,200,300,200,100,200,300,200,100 all with 200 jog put on ice.

SATURDAY

Even though I felt I'd be okay to try 5k easy I decided against it. I alway think it's best when you feel you can make a come back after an injury, take one more day off. It's not going to make much of a difference for your fitness but it might in your recovery.

SUNDAY

PM: Easy pace 7km on light trail around the forest, fairly level surface too.

This was my lowest mileage since the end of September 2017 on the start of my come back from an achilles injury. I had been slowly climbing in distance since then. 21.2km total.

Let's look at the positives this week. I'm really happy with Tuesdays work out. No issues hitting my times in serious heat. Very happy with my foot strike after analysis in the sport clinic. I was a notorious heel striker before my achilles injury in 2016. I don't think my knee is too serious, time will tell.

I'm glad I didn't delay booking an appointment for the sports clinic. In the past I'd hold off a bit and see how it goes. But after suffering a bad injury with my achilles in the past I knew I'd go a bit like a hedgehog and tence up with my first injury since, here we go again etc.. But it's better to jump on these things straight away and confront them if you know what I mean.

Here's to next week. 😎

MONDAY

10km @ 4:35/km a little bit faster than my usual easy runs. Just wanted to see how my knee held up.

TUESDAY

Nine days out from my first planned 5k of the summer this was my key session. I had a choice of either

4km steady @ 10km pace followed by 3x 1km @ target 5k pace with 2 minutes off or 6x1km with 2 minutes off.

I went with 6x1km as it would be less serve on my knee. After my fourth rep I felt a very slight bit of aggregation on my knee. So I only did 5 reps and slowed down on the last one.

Warm up drills and strides 2.4km

5x1km (3:40, 3:38, 3:37, 3:40, 3:46)

Cool down 1.5km

Really wanted to do the 4k LT with 3x1k so a bit disappointed I couldn't do it or finish my 6x1k but I think it's for the best. Although I think I'll have to pull back on my goal time for next week's 5k now.

WEDNESDAY

Recovery.

THURSDAY

Recovery.

FRIDAY

Warm up drills and strides 2.3km

4x2km tempo with 1:30 minutes shuffle recovery.
    (7:53, 7:52, 7:56, 7:56)

Cool down 2.2km

SATURDAY

Recovery.

SUNDAY

14.4km @ 4:57/km on local trail. Its only a kilometer loop but every few weeks I'm on call for work so it suits me as I can be going out on a long loop on country roads. My knee was OK but I could feel something there at times.

Total weekly distance 47.2km

Week in review

I felt I could do some easy miles on Wednesday and Thursday but I decided not to chance it and have a sudden increase in mileage compared to the previous week as my knee still isn't 100%. Maybe I should have taken Monday off then I'd probably have finished the 6x1km on Tuesday then went for 8k/5mile easy on Thursday. Happy with Fridays session on the track. Looking forward to having a crack at a 5k on Thursday although I'll probably have to scale back expectations a bit given my knee issues. I need to sort my diet out too :pac:

MONDAY

4.6km @4:41/km easy

TUESDAY

Pyramid session.

Warm up 3.9km

100,200,300,200,100,200,300,200,100 meter all with 200 meter jog recovery

Cool down 2.4km cool down

I did it on a light trail rather then the track as the juniors were practicing hurdles there.

WEDNESDAY

Rest. I like to do 20minutes easy with some strides the day before a race but I didn't chance it with my knee issues.

THURSDAY

5k race

2.6km warm up with some drill and strides

5km race in 18:20

3.5 km cool down

My knee was a little sore after the cool down but plenty of stretching on my quad seemed to do the trick. I'll attempt a race report on this in the next post...

FRIDAY

Easy paced 5.6km @4:54/km on a mixture of roads and light trail. Felt good.

SATURDAY

Rest. But this included a 8km hike up Benbulben... 

SUNDAY

7am 19.2km @5:19/km with the lads

Total weekly distance 51.1km

Week in review

Happy with my knee and the 5k race, although I think I've more in the tank to push on a bit in 5k racing. But I can't complain its my second fastest 5k. Small increase on the previous week milage, I didn't want to up it too much with the race on Thursday. I think I'll do another 5k race this Tuesday coming. Its not a perfect course but then no course is. It should be a good workout all the same even if I don't race it, and important to support a neighbouring club. :)

First attempt at a race report. This might include some mindless rambling...

This was going to be my 3rd attempt at a 5k this year with my two previous times 18:49 and 18:44 earlier in the year. In the build up about 3 weeks out I was thinking in my head maybe I could push close to my pb of 17:59 in perfect conditions and with no niggles in the build up but that didn't happen. So my aim was sub 18:30 but still thinking maybe just maybe I have it in me 18:15 to 18:10

The race itself was a low key 5k put on by my club Coach Dermot McDermott to raise funds for a home for people suffering with alzheimers in Sligo. The thing I love about Dermots races is that they are no frills on good fast courses. He does so much for athletes in Sligo it's unreal, particularly at junior level.

Thursday morning started off quite miserable with storm Hector hitting the north west but looking at weather reports it looked like it would be decent come 7pm. I didn't go home after work and went straight to the race. I arrived just after 6pm with the race at 7. I had a little chat with Dermot and then registered. There was still quite a breeze coming in from the sea at this time. I changed into my running gear and met a few team mates arriving then headed off for a couple of kilometres easy running. I went back to the car park to put on my racers and met team mates who had just arrived also some friends from other clubs that I hadn't seen in some time. The race brought out some fast local based runners with the  winner Jake O Reagan of St John's in Co Clare in a time of 15:25. Bit of a downpour before the start but it cleared the air for almost perfect race conditions with the exception of strong gusts.

The race started with a small down hill but leveled off quite quickly and into a head wind heading out to the docks. The first km was 3:28 I knew I wouldn't keep that going so pulled back a bit, but I knew the guys around me would be between 17:55 to 18:30 so I didn't want to fall behind them too much. My 2nd km 3:40, perfect, now I'm happy with this pace. Into the 3rd km again strong head wind and I'm struggling a little as we approach the only climb of the race. I hit maximum heart rate here too normally I do this in the last 500m I guess I didn't push to hard. Anyway I'm saying in my head I need to try and stay close to the group ahead but they are getting away. Dermot is there just after the half way mark and gives me much needed encouragement. He runs beside me for 50meters or so my pace goes from nearly 4:00/km down to 3:30/km and I close the gap on the group ahead. At this stage no more looking at my watch just keep those legs moving and try to catch the group ahead. 3rd km after a sluggish start 3:52. The 4th back down to 3:40 the gap is getting narrower but no one ahead is fading. The final km is flat I can't catch the guys ahead but at the same time I'm thinking should I just go for it or hold off and mind my knee. I sometimes have a strong finish in races but not today another 3:40/km pace crossing the line in 18:20 no chip timing. I had stopped my watch 18:19 with an average pace 3:40/km which was my goal after the knee injury before that it was 3:38/km

Very happy with that overall I know I've more in me but that knee injury had me nervous also that achilles injury of 2016 consistently plays with my mind. It's my second fastest 5k so I can't complain. Chatting to Dermot after he reckons I've 17:30 on a track (or even come Rathfarham) in me very relaxed non forced stride, maybe I should be pushing myself more. My heart rate more or less leveled out after 500m only spike was when Dermot pushed me on a bit half way through. My knee was a bit sore after the warm down but I did a fair bit of stretching on my quad when I got home and felt alright again. I used to hate 5ks but I really really enjoyed that race.

OK that's my first race report done. Not as epic as some here but I'll work on it:pac:

• Advertisement

This summer I'm training for mainly 5km races. I had a couple of 5k races this year nothing hectic 18:51 and 18:44. I hope to get close as possible to my 2016 PB 17:59 in Rathfarham at the end of September.  These are the dates and distances I hope to race.

14th June 5k
    8th July 5k
    13th July 4 mile

8th September 5k
    30th September 5k
    A small bit of a change to my racing plan for the summer I won't be racing that 5k July 8th, its been moved to the end of August. Also I'm not racing that 4miler too because I've signed up for the day of Irish PBs in Kildare. Thread here for it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057865570

It doesn't mean much difference in terms of training but very nervous and excited all the same. I never raced on track before :eek:

MONDAY

Rest day. 

TUESDAY

Mayo AC 5k in Claremorris.

I wasn't sure how to approach this race, we wanted to support a local club and I had raced last Thursday but at the same time when I put my singlet on I'm in race mode.  It was raining all afternoon but no wind. As the evening went on the wind picked up making horrible conditions. I wasn't familiar with the course so looking at the GPS data I knew that there was a hill from 3k to 4.5k of the race so I decided to check it out and did my warm up here and see what was ahead of me. Started it off with a easy jog but noticed a slight niggle in my knee for 100 to 200 meters but went away after that. Given the conditions, my knee, that hill and my new goal race only a few weeks away I said it wasn't worth pushing hard today for a time but I'd see how it goes.

Warm up with some strides 3.4km got soaked. I said I'd give the first km a go and see how I feel but I knew from the 3km mark on it was uphill against the wind.

First km started off with a head wind but after a bit it was on our backs. It felt way too easy so pulled back a good bit and a good group overtook me. Pace was 3:33/km.

Second km was up a lane way very sheltered and flat my pace was 3:40/km I overtook most of the group that pasted me out on the first km here.

Going into the 3rd km I over took the guy in 7th place, he gave me the heads up on the hill ahead. This km was into the head wind again on open road overall down hill so it was fair enough my pace was 3:37/km. I closed the gap on the top 6 lads. I overtook no one else on this km and stayed ahead of the group behind me.

Into the 4th km up hill and a very strong cross wind/head wind. I pulled back a bit and let the gap ahead of me open up again. I wasn't going to kill myself for this I said. Still I could hear the lads behind getting closer and that competitive nature kicked in a bit and I said I'll keep ahead off these lads and let no one overtake me. The overall pace for this km was down to 4:04/km.

Into the final km, still a climb for the first 200 meters, then it leveled out with the final 400meters was on the athletics track, very opened and winding I made a kick for the final 100meters maybe I should have started it around 200 out but the head wind going around the curve was strong. I could really feel the guy behind me pushing hard now. I held out to finish 7th with that final pace 3:44/km. It turned out the guy behind me was a training buddy from another club 2 seconds behind me. Nice bit of friendly competition.

The clock looked like 18:51 as I crossed the line but the official results were 18:46. Happy with that and my knee felt fine after.

2.6km cool down with the lads. Then some stretches on the indoor track as it was bucketing down at this stage. Quick change and home. I didn't go to the afters.

I still really enjoyed it despite the conditions and that dirty hill. I probably should have took it easier but I find it very hard to do once I put on my club singlet.

WEDNESDAY

8km @4:45/km.

I wasn't sure if I'd go for a run or not when I decided to go out I thought around 5km recovery but I felt surprisingly fresh so went a bit further.

THURSDAY

10.3km @4:44/km

Felt good again.

FRIDAY

8x1km with 60s jog recovery on the track.

Warm up and drills, 2km.

Splits.
    3:46, 3:49, 3:49, 3:46, 3:50, 3:50, 3:51, 3:49

Cool down 2.7km.

A little too fast I need to work on that my aim was 3:50, no issues with my knee.

SATURDAY

Rest day but looking at Strava I was delighted to see so many PB's in Dunshaughlin

SUNDAY

7am 19.5km @5:16/km with the lads. Slight niggles on my knee towards the end. Hard to believe it was only Tuesday I was battling with the wind and rain.

Total weekly distance 63.3km

On call for work this week

MONDAY

Rest day.  But called into work twice, didn't get home until mid night so not much rest

TUESDAY

Early start thought I had every thing packed to go straight to the track after work but forgot my watch. Went home got my watch I hadn't time to go back to the track so opted to do the session on a fairly flat trail to stay out of the sun but not ideal.

2.9km warm up with drills and strides

8x 600 meters with 90 seconds off

2:05
    2:04
    2:07
    2:06
    2:12
    2:10
    2:13
    2:09

2.7km cool down

Mad hot and humid. The 5th, 6th and 7th repeat were on a hilly part of the trail I took 2 minutes recovery there. I was aiming for 2:05-2:06 per repeat. Started out a bit too fast with the heat I should have eased into but with all the delaying and in a rush to get finished because of been on call I blew up. Happy ish with the workout but can do better. In a race not every thing will go my way so I need to adapt to what the circumstances bring.

WEDNESDAY

12.5km @4:48/km (60 minutes easy)

I waited until after 9 for this 60 minutes of 1km loops of the same trail from Tuesday

THURSDAY

Called into work but got home at 9pm headed off on the same looped trail as Wednesday

8.5km @4:46/km (40 minutes easy)

Just home and showered and back into work until 3am

FRIDAY

Tired and fell asleep on the couch after dinner woke up after 830pm. Missed club training but the lads in my group were racing Saturday so I'd be on my own anyway. Headed out after 9pm still a bit groggy. Couldn't believe how dead and hot it felt at this time

2.1km warm up with the usual drills and strides

20 minutes tempo @3:57/km (although 25 was on the plan again anxious about a call from work so I cut it back) struggled at times if I'm honest.

Followed by 3x 2 minutes with 2 minutes off.
    Paces for each repeat
    3:33/km
    3:34/km
    3:36/km

Cool down 2.4km. Ideally I'd like a good 15 minutes warm up and cool down especially in the heat

SATURDAY

Working Sunday and on call in the evening so headed out at 930am. I could still feel Fridays session in my legs. It got very hot quickly too. I had planned 20km easy but decided to cut it back to 10miles after 5km. On the roads. I guess trail would have been better option with more cover and less heat coming off the tarmacadam, but thats a 20minute drive away and I was tight for time.

16.7km @4:52/km

SUNDAY

Rest/Work

Total weekly distance 60. 1km

Week in review

A very rushed week. I hate been on call. I tend to rush workouts when I am. Ideally a longer warm up and cool down is needed too, also I need to ease into the workout if it's hot out as I wasn't ready for the heat. I'm glad I got all my runs in but Sunday would have been the ideal day for my long run I could feel my form getting sloppy for the last 2-3km.

Back to normality next week :)

Bit of a change up this week with training

MONDAY

10.3/km @4:43/km
    Normally a rest day.

TUESDAY

10.1/km @4:48/km
    Normally club training.

WEDNESDAY

First time training with Dermot McDermotts Believe and Achieve group on the track in the IT. Massive step up from club training which had really become a solo effort on the most part at the paces I was training. Superb setup what he has going on I could on and on about what he has done for athletics in Sligo, he's unreal.

Warm up and drills 1.8km

8x 800 with 2 minutes recovery.

I was just hanging off the backs of the guys Dermot paired me with. Never looked at my watch during the workout I just focused on the guys in front of me and did my best to hold on. Repeat 1 to 6 I felt okay but the last two were a struggle. They took the first repeat easy and then picked it up. For the last repeat I couldn't hold with them, so the last 200 was lonely enough. I really enjoyed it and needed a session like that. I went slightly over on my ankle on cool down but no issues since.

Repeat times

2.53, 2.44, 2.46, 2.45, 2.43, 2.41, 2.43, 2.48

Cool down 3km

THURSDAY

Easy 5.5km @4:58/km. My ankle felt fine

FRIDAY

Rest day for my birthday. My singlet and bib for next week's race arrived in the post.

SATURDAY

4x rotating kilometres. I did this session on the roads on a fairly flat route, it just meant my cool down was a bit longer than usual. The plan was slightly faster than 10 mile pace but not as fast as 10km with the second km 45 to 50 seconds slower. 9am start I always find an AM session harder than a evening one. Been so humid I guess made it harder too but a really enjoyable session overall.

2km warm up with drills and strides

Repeats
    3:54/km (4:36/km)
    3:53/km (4:42/km)
    3:53/km (4:37/km)
    3:48/km (4:36/km)

5km cool down

SUNDAY

20.2km @5:08/km with the lads at 8am. Very humid again I don't really mind it so much at that pace but some of the lads were suffering a bit.

Total weekly distance 72.8km

Week in review

I really enjoyed this week. Great weather, quality sessions, and Sunday long run with the lads was fantastic. A bit of a roll out on the cards for this evening with the foam roller. Looking forward to next week :D

I had the day of the Irish PB's on Saturday so I was going to step back in milage but I wanted still to do a good session on Wednesday.

MONDAY

Rest day.

TUESDAY

10.2/km @4:58/km

WEDNESDAY

4x 1km Cruise with 60 seconds off followed by another 4x1km faster with 3 minutes off.

Warm up and drills 2.3km

The first 4x 1km
    3:58, 3:52, 3:51, 3:50

The second 4x1km
    3:30, 3:26, 3:26, 3:19

Cool down 3.3km on grass

For the first 7 reps I was just tailing of the lads in my group. I know I rely on my watch too much so for last rep D said I was to lead with no looking at my watch and go by feel. I started a little fast but I was nice and smooth again after 150-200m I was supprised when I cross the line at 3:19

THURSDAY

Rest day

FRIDAY

Rest day again. Feeling very itchy

SATURDAY

Day of Irish PB's

When I left the house is was raining and a nice 16°, I was feeling fresh even after Wednesday's session with the two days off. As I headed east it brightened up and turned into a cracking day.

I was there early enough so caught the race before the Jerry Kiernan and Mick Clohisey QaA. Absolutely terrific atmosphere. I'd love to see more meets like this to bridge road racing with track. After the QaA I headed out for a warm jog and drills. I did my drills beside the sports hall to stay in the shade. I probably then headed to the track too soon so I was still pottering around doing more warm up/drills etc. On the track I found it warm enough with no shade. I knew it was too warm to push for a big pb which I was hoping for when I registered. I was thinking around 17:50 at the start line. I said I stick close to the 17:30 pacer for the first 800 and if the heat was getting to me I'd pull back.
    So off we went.. . I drifted of the back of the 17:30 lads but after 800 to 1k I knew I wouldn't be pushing for anything hard I thought drop back to 18:00 and enjoy the race as I felt I had a comfortable 17:59 in me. I think it was around the 1600 mark I stepped on a bottle on the edge of the track and I wobbled a bit then a guy behind me clipped me. Almost immediately I felt that pain in my ankle that I suffered the previous Wednesday week during my cool down. I thought I run it off but it was really starting to bother me I started to slow down and eventually pulled out at 2.5k. Gutted. No where to hide. I didn't want to wait around it was just awful having a DNF on a track. I wasn't sure if I done serious damage or not I just hobbled off with my head down. Looking back I should have stayed around because everything about the meet was excellent but I didn't feel like it at the time.

No attempt of a warm down just got in the car and went home. A nordie van infort of me on the N4 had dnf on its reg which gave me a chuckle. Excluding my nightmare I still loved that day and I'm definitely going to do it again if the organisers run it. Unfinished business. Definitely do it if anyone is reading this!

SUNDAY

Feeling very sorry for myself. Some mobility drills to see how my ankle was holding. Bit of a niggle still so didn't chance anything. Rest day..

MONDAY

Rest again but I'm confident alls good to resume training tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Bad luck on the race Saturday. Sounds like it was a great event. Best of luck with the training. I've been targeting a couple of 5k races myself lately so this is an interesting log. Out of I interest does your coach prescribe all your runs or just the sessions?

If I ask he'll prescribe me a plan for easy runs and if the training changes for longer stuff he normally tells us exactly what we should do every week, but I don't think I need to ask, or want to be asking when he's volunteering. It's kind of standard at the moment for my training so it stays more or less the same. Since I changed training from club training on Tuesday to Wednesday I hope to move everything a day forward. This is what I plan going off what I was told two months ago but I play around with it myself to suit my circumstances. If I've a race I'll cut it back.

Monday rest
    Tuesday 10-12k easy
    Wednesday speed work on the track
    Thursday 10-12k recovery
    Friday 8k easy
    Saturday tempo
    Sunday 90 minutes plus long run

Ideally last week if I was taken Saturdays race very serious. Tuesday I should have done a ladder session, Thursday 30-40 minutes very easy and followed by 20 minutes easy on Friday with strides. I try to listen to my body more now than follow a plan like a robot which I was notorious for and that lead me to over training injuries in the past.

I just realised I hit 1000miles at the day of the Irish PBs last week, it was a milestone I had set out so happy to reach it. I was really struggling with an injury last year it wasn't until late September early October until I got any real consistency going and just managed 1000km for the year. I think 2016 I hit 1000 miles in the first week of July so not far off. Consistency in training is aim goal for 2018 ahead of times etc.

On call for work this week so the usual stress and rushing involved.

MONDAY

Like I said in previous post rest day but I intended to go out for a very easy run to see how my ankle would hold up but got a call for work as soon as I put my runners on. Maybe that was a good thing.

TUESDAY

11.5km @4:46/km slight niggle from my dnf for the last km.

Just back from my run at 7pm when I was called into work I didn't get home until 230am probably took another hour to fall asleep.

WEDNESDAY

Back in at work at 10am completely wrecked. Hectic day at work too nearly 15,000 steps on the app on my phone. Got one of the lads to cover call for training.

Warm up drills and strides etc 3.8km @5.32/km

Session was 2 sets of 1600 with 60 seconds standing + 4x400 with 60 seconds stand then 2. 5 minutes standing between both sets

I was very tired and wasn't up for it if I'm honest but felt a slight niggle on that dnf injury on the last 400 repeat of the first set so I pulled out after 400 on my second mile. I probably could have gone on but I was exhausted . No call outs that night thank god.

1600 in 5:31 I think that's around 3:29/k pace not sure.
    4x 400s 71, 77, 76, 77seconds

The next 400 of my 1600 was around 3:30/k pace before I pulled out.

Cool down on grass

THURSDAY

11.2km @4:42/km no issues. It should have been much slower but anxious to get the distance in before my phone rang. I called into work after just as I was heading to bed I didn't get home until 430am took a while to fall asleep too maybe it was around 530am

FRIDAY

"Rest" day again. Back in at work around 12 noon but awake since 8am when my Mrs MellowYellow was getting up. Unfortunately I couldn't fall back asleep afterwards. Got home from work that evening and fell asleep on the couch. All going good I hoped to do 8km easy.

SATURDAY

Working again so pm session of 25 minutes tempo followed by 8x 20 seconds with 40 seconds standing recovery

Warm up drills strides etc 2.2km

25mins tempo @3:55/km 6.3km

8x20 seconds

Cool down 4.3km

SUNDAY

Evening run. I was working again so I didn't get to go with the lads in the morning. No issues but quite warm and humid so my HR was up a bit more than usual.
    19.5km @4:53/km

Hard week overall. Lack of sleep and been on edge that the phone will ring takes its toll. When I'm tired I'm hungry and end up eating rubbish. Looking forward to some normality next week.

Weekly distance 63.8km but more importantly I've almost 60km average weekly distance this year. I'm very happy about that, as it includes race weeks and niggle weeks where I cut back

MONDAY

Rest day.

TUESDAY

11.4km @4:52/km

No issues. Tempted to head to the mountains for this one glad I didn't in the end.

WEDNESDAY

3km + 2x (4x400) on the track with 60s standing recovery between the 400s

Warm up 2km with some new drills

3km @3:36/km it felt ok surprisingly enough given the heat. It was 26 degrees on the car heading to the track. The lads I was pacing off were doing 4k so a few minutes shuffle on grass until they hit 4km.

For the first three of the first  4x400 just hanging off the lads. D got me to take the lead for the last one. Times 71,74,75,73s

The guys were doing 10x400 so I shuffled on grass until they were back again. The next 4x 400 were hard going. But it's a mental thing as much as a physical thing. I would have been happy to quit after 4 100m but I'm glad I didn't.

I took the lead for the first 400 of my second set. Then hung off the lads for the next two 400's. Really struggling to keep with the lads on the 3rd repeat I was 5 seconds behind them. D told me concentrate and break it down in my head 200, then 300, then take it home. I was leading for my last 400, I broke it down in to 100m at a time focused on my pace kept my concentration with no looking at my watch. Hit the target of 74 seconds. Times the last 4 repeats 74,74,79,74s

I have got in a habit of not pushing myself when the going gets tuff since my achilles injury or more likely not focusing. I needed that kick in the bum to focus more and concentrate. Getting better at pacing too not as giddy on the first 100 to 200m but still needs work. I was on cloud nine after that session.

Cool down on grass 2km

THURSDAY

13.8km @4:52/km
    Massive difference with the weather in 24 hours 15 degrees and nonstop heavy down poor for the time I was out. Quite enjoyable with no wind. Very low heart rate.

FRIDAY

I know, I know, alarm bells ringing in my head leave this workout until Saturday but I'm going on holidays Saturday evening so I want to do my long run Saturday morning. I didn't wait for club training at 8pm so it was a solo effort early in the evening. I uploaded this workout on garmin connect I'd find it hard to get the pacing right when increasing just pressing manual lap. Light bit of rain but overall ideal conditions.

6x1km increasing pace with 2 minutes standing recovery. On the track

Warm up drills and strides 2.4km

Times 3:50, 3:47, 3:43, 3:40, 3:35, 3:30

Cool down 3.1km

I felt really comfortable throughout the workout including the last km repeat at 3:30. I guess the hard training with Dermot is starting to show a bit or maybe the ideal weather conditions or maybe it was because it was on a track I don't know. But as he said in an interview for the Irish independent recently if you want to run fast surround yourself with fast people.

SATURDAY

I had it in my head since Monday to head to the the mountain since Monday. When I woke up I checked my Facebook and saw there was a ultra on the route I had planned so I stuck to my usual route along the mountain instead, its a mixture of tarred roads and gravel lane ways. I met some of our club ladies marathon training too.

20.1km @4:54/km

SUNDAY

I don't think I'll get a chance to run on my first day holiday. So likely a rest day.

Weekly distance 69km

I really really enjoyed that week training. Tuesday was hard but I got through it. Hope to get a few easy runs next week on holidays. If I'm not wrecked the streets of Sligo 5k is on Saturday evening, I get back in the afternoon so I don't expect much even if I race. Flat course but lots of bends so who knows.

I was on holidays in Croatia and Italy for the week. Non stop sight seeing, eating and drinking loads too. I don't really do lounging on the beach holidays.

MONDAY

7.3km @5:07/km
    Early morning run. Not sure was it the couple of beers the evening before, the heat and humidity or both but this was a struggle.

TUESDAY

6km @5:07/km
    Same as Monday.

WEDNESDAY

No running

THURSDAY

8.3km @5:04/km
    Evening/night run. Warm but felt better then the morning runs. Heavy legs.

FRIDAY

No running

SATURDAY

Street of Sligo 5k

I got back to Dublin in the afternoon and headed for Sligo. Got to Sligo around 5:20pm I went into the registration just after half 5. The race sponsors tried to recruit me to run for them (the company I work for are sub contractors for them) but its a league race and important to show our colours so I declined and paid my 15 euro.

I changed into running gear and went out for 2km loosener with some stretching. I felt weak and tired. Got back to the car put on my racers another 1.2km jog to the start line with strides. I started to feel a bit better but I knew my legs weren't 100% I was at the start line too soon so myself and my team mate went off and did some drills instead of standing about. We came back and positioned ourselves towards the front.

The gun went off. First km was fastish I think I should have gone off a bit faster but I let myself pull back. One of the lads I go running with from another club was about 5-8 seconds ahead of me. 3:24 for the first km
    The second km I settled into a better rhythm. My coach was encouraging me to move up it was here I overtook my buddy. Second km 3:33
    I was behind another runner from another local club on the 3rd km in a previous race he was 21seconds ahead of me. But I looked at my watch and saw the pace had dropped so I overtook him along with some non club young lads the tired 3km was 3:37
    Into the 4th km I was feeling it now my coach kept me going towards the end of it and I picked it up after a slow 800m but I that time no one overtook me. 4:42 for the 4th km
    The last km I pushed on and overtook two more young lads towards the finish line I started to daydream a bit with the crowd on the final 200 to 100m a young lad flew past then my buddy. That woke me up and full on race finish I bet him by 0.1 of a second to finish 29th in a time of 17:51.00 breaking my pb from September 2016 of 17:59.
    Great race overall flat course with the exception of a small hill at the Town Hall with 2.5 laps of the town. A good few bends that take you out of your stride but big support and lots of runners to pull you along. Massive improvement on previous streets of Sligo and has the potential to grow. We all headed off for a warm down together of 4km I didn't go to the afters so I can't comment on it.

Very happy to pb I knew I had sub 18 in me but I'm training at 17:30 I think if I wasn't on holidays during the week I would be close to 17:30 but the week took an awful lot out of me. Great to break that previous pb now its time to push on.

SUNDAY

21.5km @4:47/km in Achill
    Out and back run with a tail wind heading out so very easy but the head wind coming back made it a struggle.

24ql5it.jpg

Overall 55.8km for the week

So Dermot reckons I'll be a 16:40 5k/35min 10k runner next summer...I love his positivity! I'll need to work very hard to get to that level and maybe drop 5kg, I'm 74kg now. It's something to aim for alright but it never crossed my mind to have such big goals. But it made me think differently even if I don't reach that level to have someone else see that potential in me.

MONDAY

Rest

TUESDAY

12.2km @4:45/km

WEDNESDAY

I need to work on my strength so there will be more active recoveries for my interval sessions. Tonight it was 1km repeats with 400 recovery in around 1:50 I had a maximum of 8 and minimum of 6 repeats. I opted for the minimum I was still feeling the effect of Saturday's 5k  and needed to be home before 8pm .  Maybe I should have went a bit slower Tuesday and used it more as a recovery run then I'd be fresher today but I don't think it would have made a massive difference TBH.

I was at the track a bit early so after my warm up I joined one of the lads for his warm to so a total of 5.3km this includes a few strides.

Target 3:36
    1km repeats 3:36, 3:31, 3:35, 3:34, 3:35, 3:37

2km cool down

THURSDAY

Normally I run in the evening but going to a wedding in Achill Friday I had a few things to do that evening so I went out at 6am. Very sluggish start but I got going towards the end.

10.6km @5:01/km

FRIDAY

Should be a easy run today but with the wedding on today I did my session Friday instead of Saturday. I woke up at 5:45 naturally and headed out at 630am. I find am sessions really hard. I guess a longer warm up is needed.

Warm up 2.8km drills, activations, strides

25 minutes tempo @3:53/km around 6.4km

Cool down 3.9km

SATURDAY

Bit of a sleep in after the wedding. 3 bottles of beer the day/night before so I was fresh enough. I don't really like drinking anymore. I decided to do my long run today instead of Sunday. I was going to hike up Currane hill today but cloud cover around the hill was too low and the weather unpredictable. I really love running in Achill. For a change no head wind down here.

20km @4:39/km

I felt so fresh

SUNDAY

Again I considered running/hike up Currane hill but a heavy sea mist approaching made me change my mind, I won't see much up there, and didn't want to chance going up if there was a change in the weather. So 30 minutes easy run instead.

6km @4:53/km

Great week running again. My strava indicates it was one of my hardest weeks training in some time. It didn't really feel that way but I guess it's right, my long Saturday would have brought it up. Total distance 78km which was my highest mileage since September 2016 the week I done my achilles.

Photo I took doing my stretches after my run Saturday.

2csh0nm.jpg

MONDAY

Rest

TUESDAY

A few people in my AC are organising a 5k for my local gaa club at the end of the month. So I went for two loops of the course to see what it would be like. The first mile isn't a PB course but after that it's a nice enough course. Posable negative splits course :)

12.7km @4:56/km

WEDNESDAY

A couple of the lads from my club joined us for training tonight, it's exactly what they need to push on. They were doing 800s my group 4x2km with 90 seconds off. As I said last week I need to work on my strength. I'd say this is probably more of a 10k workout than a 5k one

3.6km warm up, drills, strides, activations

4x2km target was 6:00/mile which is is around 3:44/km we were quite comfortable so we worked it down a little. I suppose it's close to my 10k pace

Splits with average paces according to my Garmin
    7:32  (@3:45/km)
    7:26 (@3:44/km)
    7:23 (@3:40/km)
    7:19 (@3:39/km)

Cool down 2.2km

Stretches at home, it was bucketing down.

THURSDAY

Took me a while to get going this evening, I was feeling the effects from that 4x2km. Even though I felt great after yesterday's session but after 3km I was fine again.

13km @4:45/km

FRIDAY

A few easy miles. Went out after dinner, I felt sluggish and full.
    6.4km @5:02/km

SATURDAY

Broken tempo 8x1km with 60 jog recovery

I woke at 630 I had something to eat and hit the road at 8. I really struggled with this session. Legs not firing and too full. I did it on the roads but probably should have done it on the track as there was some farmers moving cattle so my cool down was 2km longer then I wanted...

If anyone has any recommendations for morning sessions I'd really appreciate it. Its something I really struggle with, I can never replicate my performance in the evening or late afternoon. But I think Wednesdays session must have took a good bit out of me then I realised.

Target was starting at 4 minutes and work down to an average of 3:55 but I couldn't do it. On the  7th it was a on a hill... Still not good enough.

2.4km warm up with drills, strides and activations

Splits
    3:58
    3:56
    3:55
    4:04
    3:59

Extended cool down 4.9km

SUNDAY

I have to cover for one of the lads at work today so I couldn't join the marathon lads from my club this morning they were heading out at 8am. I got up at 6 and hit the road on my usual route. A bit sluggish for the first 3km but after that I felt good, better than Saturday that's for sure. Very warm and humid. Spotted a few deer too which was nice to see, they are normally further up the mountain.

20km @4:46/km

After my run my Garmin gave me a notification of a new v02max of 61. I don't know if it means much TBH.

Happy with my week, despite Saturdays session and the weather. I had forgotten what it was like to run in the rain.

Total distance this week
    83.3km

If anyone has any recommendations for morning sessions I'd really appreciate it. Its something I really struggle with, I can never replicate my performance in the evening or late afternoon. But I think Wednesdays session must have took a good bit out of me then I realised.

Don't do them. Haha.

In all seriousness I think some people find morning sessions tougher. I'm one of them. I do find that my body takes about a mile or two longer to wake up in the morning so maybe lengthen your warmup and add some strides before starting the session?

Your recovery run during the week after the 4x2k session looked nippy enough for a recovery run too. After a hard session like that I'd usually be looking to run the recovery run slower than 5min/km.

Finally I guess it's not all about pace for that Saturday session. If you're hitting the right effort levels even at a slower pace then you're probably doing alright.

Don't do them. Haha.

In all seriousness I think some people find morning sessions tougher. I'm one of them. I do find that my body takes about a mile or two longer to wake up in the morning so maybe lengthen your warmup and add some strides before starting the session?

Your recovery run during the week after the 4x2k session looked nippy enough for a recovery run too. After a hard session like that I'd usually be looking to run the recovery run slower than 5min/km.

Finally I guess it's not all about pace for that Saturday session. If you're hitting the right effort levels even at a slower pace then you're probably doing alright.
    Thanks Swashbuckler. I have a habit of going to hard on easy runs when I start day dreaming you get into a rhythm and before you know it you're way to fast. I'll have to watch that. I was a bit tight for time Saturday morning but I should have extended the warm up, I think maybe just a banana before hand and leave the porridge until I get home :pac:

Thanks Swashbuckler. I have a habit of going to hard on easy runs when I start day dreaming you get into a rhythm and before you know it you're way to fast. I'll have to watch that. I was a bit tight for time Saturday morning but I should have extended the warm up, I think maybe just a banana before hand and leave the porridge until I get home

I hear ya. And to be fair I'm always saying Easy is a feeling not a pace. But I know from previous experience that some sessions don't hit my legs proper until two days later at which point you've already done a recovery run and possibly too quick.

I generally don't eat for any runs at 9am or earlier.

• Advertisement

MONDAY

Rest

TUESDAY

I had to work late so I headed out at 6am. Felt good and fresh. 

12.6km @4:46/km

WEDNESDAY

2x 3km @3:44/km or 6:00/mile with 90seconds off between the 3kms, followed by 2.5 minutes off then 2 minutes jog and straight into 1km target 3:25.

2.7km warm up, drills, strides, activations

Dermot couldn't make training but he had a few of us doing different sessions all at 6 minutes miles so we were in and out trailing of each other. Again like last Wednesday a good strength building session focusing on my week points. I was on my own for my last fast km. I didn't quite hit my target, my legs were okay but my concentration wasn't  just right.

Splits with average paces according to my Garmin
    3km: 11:13  (@3:44/km)
    3km: 11:13 (@3:44/km)
    1km: 3:29 (@3:29/km)

Cool down 3km

THURSDAY

Evening run. I was asked to make a relive video for the local 5k so my 13km run is broken up into two. I took on board the advice here from Swashbuckler to slow down on my recovery run but it's a nice enough route so I kept finding myself clipping on a bit and having to pull back.

5km @4:53/km
    8km @4:56/km

FRIDAY

6am: I'm getting used to easy am runs, but not sessions. I decided to go out early today to give me more recovery time ahead of tomorrows session. Again trying to pull back a bit but it's lovely flat and slightly down hill route for the most part with the exception of the last 4km which is slightly up hill. Spotted a few curlews which was nice to see.

12.1km @4:50/km

SATURDAY

6x1km with 2 minutes off recovery

On the track at 12 noon. On my own for this one perfect conditions.

2.5km warm up with drills, strides and activations

Splits
    3:31
    3:30
    3:32
    3:32

Cool down 3.3km

SUNDAY

I've missed a lot of Sunday runs with the lads recently due to work and holidays but it was just me and one other this morning as rest of them raced the warriors run yesterday or were going to Knock this morning.

20km @4:53/km

Total distance this week
    83.5km
    A tiny bit more than last week and my biggest weekly mileage this year.

I'm quite nervous about my 5k next Friday. Dermot has put his time into bringing me on and I don't want to disappoint. Also it's a local race and two years ago when I last raced it, I finished 3rd but it was a 8k race back then. So I feel a bit under pressure because I know people will be watching to see how I get on, compared to most races where you're anonymous. I don't expect a top three this time. I hope it attracts some very fast local runners that I can try and hang off. The first mile isn't great but after that the next two miles have potential.

On a side note I didn't know there was a boards strava club before but I joined it during the week.

I'm quite nervous about my 5k next Friday. Dermot has put his time into bringing me on and I don't want to disappoint. Also it's a local race and two years ago when I last raced it, I finished 3rd but it was a 8k race back then. So I feel a bit under pressure because I know people will be watching to see how I get on, compared to most races where you're anonymous. I don't expect a top three this time. I hope it attracts some very fast local runners that I can try and hang off. The first mile isn't great but after that the next two miles have potential.

If you take any advice on board take this. Forget about doing your training justice. Forget about disappointing the coach. Forget about what people will think. I felt the same in the middle of my 5k block. Felt like I needed to do it justice but my own coach said (paraphrasing) you don't need to do a block of training justice. The results will come.
    Trust me. The training you've been doing for this block will stand to you. Try to run free and without any pressure. My best races were ones I felt positive about and was putting very little pressure in myself. This 5k will not even be a jot in your memory in a couple of years but the impact of the training block will still be with you. Think long term gains and just run free :)

Thanks Swashbuckler that's good solid advice and it's something I try to do. I don't know why I'm putting myself under extra pressure like that, I usually don't but I'll be taking your advice on board. :)

Race week...

MONDAY

Rest

TUESDAY

Short Pyramids

On call this week for evenings and nights. I had to choose either race Friday or training Wednesday because I needed someone to cover for me. So the plan was to do my session today instead of Wednesday. I was called into work twice this evening but managed a short pyramid session 100, 200, 300, 200, 100, 200, 300, 200, 100 all with 200m jog. My coach had me down for 6x1km cruise but by the time I got back from my first call out it was 9.30pm. I know he's looking more towards Rathfarham with the session prescribed. Good job I opted for a shorter session as soon as I was in the door my phone rang again and back into work.

Warm up 2.5km
    Session 1.7km fast, 1.8km jog
    Cool down 2.2km

WEDNESDAY

5.4km @5:16/km

THURSDAY

3.1km  @4:52/km including some strides

FRIDAY

5km race

3.4km warm up with drills, strides and activations

5km in 18:00

3.1km cool down

Disappointing race if I'm honest. 5th over all and 1st local yokel home. But I should have been pushing for 3rd which was 17:47. The first km felt good at 3:30 but straight into the hills on the 2nd km took a good bit out of me and it wasn't until the the final km when I got back in the rhythm again at 3:27. I enjoyed the last two km picking off lads and having mini races within the race. I definitely don't race enough so I'm thinking of doing another 5km next Sunday as I'm not a great racer but practice and hard work should help. Next Sundays race is part of the league so I hope it brings out lots of guys at my level to race against. I'm disappointed but not beaten myself up over my time.

SATURDAY

10km @5:12/km recovery run

SUNDAY

Easy one with the non marathon lads. The DCM lads have 28km planned...

17km @5:01/km

There is a 5k in town today I wanted to support organised by two people involved in the athletics scene here and run it easy but unfortunately I can't make it.

Total distance this week
    55.4km

For the week ahead I won't be tapering as much for next Sundays race as i did this week.

MONDAY

12km @4:41/km

I dont know if it was the perfect running conditions or that the route I was on very flat but it felt very easy even though the pace a bit faster than my usual easy runs. I wasnt really looking at my watch

TUESDAY

12km @4:42/km

Again a bit nippy but it felt quite easy

WEDNESDAY

10x 400 fast with 400 float recovery
    Target was 80 seconds on and 1 minute 40/45 float

I was a bit early so I headed off on my own for my warm up. When I got back to the track Dermot was warming up with the young lads I joined in so a bit of a extended warm up. Did my usual drills, activations, strides into the session. Dermot was pacing for us. As the session went on I was struggling a bit and had to sit out
    one of the recoveries but I hoped back in again to finish it out. Even though I had to sit out one recovery I was happy with that workout, I got all my fast ones done. I say the 5k last week and those nippy easy runs were in ny legs.

4.6km warm up

Splits for the 400s on

2.1km cool down

THURSDAY

I was a bit late heading out i was hoping to do it all on grass but it got dark really fast so I finished it on the roads. I had no high viz so it around town instead of heading out the country roads. I always hate having to put on my hi viz for the first few weeks. I don't miss the marathon mid week training sessions this time of the year of 20km plus with the evenings closing in fast.

3.1km @4:42/km on grass with xc spikes on
    9.5km @5:07/km on the roads

FRIDAY

Rest day

SATURDAY

Rest day again but Mrs Mellow Yellow dragged me along shopping in Derry

SUNDAY

Ballymote 5km

1pm race start. I prefer evening races still better than Rathfarham 10am start. I wouldn't say my legs were tired going into this race but I knew I had a good session Wednesday off the back of a 5k the previous weekend. I was very relaxed about this race. My target was the equal last weeks time and race well. The organisers changed the starting line slightly it used to be on the top of a hill but now it was brought down bit. I'd say that hill start would be worth at least 10 seconds but its now a fairer course. As much of a ego boost it would be to have that sort of a start I'm glad it was more honest race.

I arrived at registration just after 12 I always like to be in good time. I then went for a 2km jog out to the 1km mark and back. Warm but gusty. I then did my stretchs and drills and put on my races. Another km with more activations and strides. It was a small turn out but a good quality field. As we lined up I was looking to see who was there at my level. I spotted a local girl who recently ran 17:25 I knew if I stuck with her it would be a good race. There was another guy I follow on Strava who ran a 17:10 too that I was hoping to hold on to.

3,2,1, off we went no gun start. A bit of a down hill start but we level off the pace is good as we approach the first 500m I look at my watch 3:19/km I pull back a bit and cross the 1km mark in 3:27 the two I wanted to hold on to started to open a gap as we then turn off up a back road. The head wind is picking up and we start to climb slightly. As we do I'm determined not to let the gap open anymore and I start to close in on them, just on the top of the hill I'm very close to one of them. Its at the 2km mark 3:39. Down hill here I overtake the local girl but she is holding on tight. Its a out and back course so around the cone I loose a bit of momentum here as I'm into the wind we climb a bit again 3km 3:40 its a good drag with strong gusts but I manage to catch the 17:10 lad and over take him we are all in a tight group here I don't know if they are racing smart and letting me break the wind the 4th km is 4:46 it was hard going with that wind. We turn back onto the main road again with 800 left I'm holding on but with 600m the 17:10 goes hard no catching him then 400m the local girl goes for I can't keep with her. She crosses the line in 17:58 I'm two seconds behind in 18:00. The 17:10 guy was 17:54

Same as last week in time but I'm happier with this race. The time isn't great and I hadn't that final kick but happy with it overall. I'm coughing flem all week and a bit chesty. I knew I wouldn't be in firing on all cylinders with two races in 9 days and that 10x400

I'm still hopeful of close to 17:30 in Rathfarham it will take a massive effort. These two races should stand to me

Total distance this week
    63.5km

I've been neglecting my supplementary training the past few months. Talking to team mates who are in marathon training telling me about all the niggles and injuries they are getting has made me conscience of the danger of ignoring this form of training. I realise it won't make much difference in terms of improvement between now and Rathfarham but I want to get into the habit of doing it again consistently. Saying that, I'm aware of the consequences of adding extra work only a few weeks out from a goal race so it won't be too strenuous. I think the best way to approach this is still to keep easy days easy and hard days hard. So the plan will be to do harder stuff planks, squats, dead lifts after my workouts and some easy stuff like hip mobility on easy days two or three times a week. I'm going to add them to this log to keep myself accountable.

MONDAY

Rest day.

Suplmentry training: Hips and glutes (I used to do this 3 to 4 times a week)  I don't intend on doing this on a rest day in the future. It's quite similar to the videos below.
    https://youtu.be/ydcy3dPf__M
    https://youtu.be/xq_sKLSHfhE
    Finished off with some foam rolling and stretching.

TUESDAY

AM: 13.2km @4:46/km
    First run with my high viz on of the Autumn. I spent 5 minutes doing activations on glutes with resistance bands before hand, it definitely made a difference. Not the usual am slog.

PM: Suplmentry training: Hips and glutes same as Monday. A small bit of foam rolling and stretching afterwards.

WEDNESDAY

PM:3x1200 with 400 float recovery
    Target was 80 seconds every 400 for the 1200s or 4mins and less than 2 minutes float recovery

I knew I'd struggle to hit these targets on a good day, thats a 3:20/km pace. I could still feel Sundays 5k in my legs. I only managed to hit the target in my first 1200 and kept fading as the session went on. The session was 4.8km and done in 18:00 minutes...

2km warm up with the usual drills and strides

Splits for the 1200

3:59
    4:10
    4:21

3.8km cool down

When I got home a few planks, squats, and foam rolling. I'm not sure I'll have the time to do suplmentry work after my main session it around 830pm when I get home.

THURSDAY

PM: 16km @4:42/km on the roads

Just some foam rolling and stretching afterwards.

FRIDAY

PM: 12km @5:00/km on trail and roads

Nothing else

SATURDAY

Work in the morning so I couldn't join the boys on the track so it was 1pm solo session. It was actually a nice time in the day to do a session.

3x 10 minutes with 2 minutes off recovery

This was a tempo session my traget was 3:55/km

3.2km warm up
    All 3x10 minutes with average of 3:54/km
    3.2km cool down

Hips, glutes, and some core work afterwards.

SUNDAY

I had 16km on the cards I was hoping to do 5km on the roads, 6km on grass with my xc spikes on to get used to running in them and another 5km on the roads to finish. I was a bit late getting up so had to cut the final 5k short.

5.1km on the roads at 5:02/km
    6km on grass at 4:43/km
    3.8km on the roads at 4:47/km

Solid week training very happy with it. I'm on call this week coming:rolleyes: Looks like I'll be making cross country debut next week if I get off work, not sure what to expect. I have to say looking at strava and chating to club mates and other runners I train with this week I'm a bit envious of everyone in marathon mode. But I'm sticking to my plan of slowly building up before I go marathon training again in 2020 :D

Total distance this week
    81.3km

Making my cross country debut in the Castlegar AC open xc 6000mts...

I hadn't planned to do this race initially as it was close to Rathfarham but it was in my radar, I wanted to try out cross country having never raced it before and thought this might be a good opportunity to have a go. So last week my coach sent me a WhatsApp message with a poster of the Castlegar AC open cross country saying interested? I jumped on it straight away as soon as he mentioned it, I tried to generate some interest with club mates but unfortunately no one was interested. I'd say any cross country I'm doing this year will be a solo effort as the interest isn't there, which is a pity because anyone I talk to about say its a great team building exercise.

I woke up before 7am even though my alarm was set for later but my body clock kicks in every morning as I'm used to getting up at that time. Becase it was a 3pm race I wasn't sure should I have a late breakfast and just race of that but I decided to have my usual breakfast of porridge with chia speeds, banana and some blueberry with a coffee. I did a few chores around the house waiting for 9 before heading down town. When i got back at 10 I had some scrambled eggs and a slice of homemade brown treacle bread. Afterwards I got my gear ready and changed my spikes from 7mm to 12mm as that was the advice most people I asked about xc gave me. I then hit the road its only a good hour away but I hate waiting around before a race or arriving late. I normally like to be there early, park up, register, if I'm there very early go for a very easy walk and chill out especially if I've a bit of a journey to the race. Followed by my usual warm up. Anyway on route I was feeling a bit peckish this was around noon. I didn't want that over full feeling but I didnt want weak feeling either I was himing and hawing but I decided to get a plain chicken salad wrap. With morning races I'm ok ish for fuel, evenings I don't have any problems but with a 3pm start time, this can be a funny one. Thankfully I got this 100% right this time and felt great throughout the race.

Anyway I wasn't exactly sure where the race was but I found it eventually. After I parked up I watched a few of the kids races then registered. I still had loads of time so I went for a short walk, nothing strenuous. When I got back to the car a quick change I put on road running shoes and brought my spikes in rucksack with me. Near the start line I put on my spikes and went for one lap of the course to see what it was like. There was a few places where it crossed footpaths but they had a carpet down here. The course was one short loop on a football pitch. Lots of bends and bales of hay to jump, then 3 laps of the bigger loop. The course was flat with the exception of where it went through a playground on the long loop with some very steep artificial hills that were fun... good surface overall only one boggy part of a few hundred meters on the long loop too. I had the entire couse pictured like this in my head before hand. After I did one loop I decided to change my spikes back to 7mm because when I was crossing the footpaths even though there was carpet my spikes were too long and it hurt a bit hitting them. A few more strides and drills and test runs over the footpaths and all felt good.

At the start line because I knew in my heart I wasn't going to give 100% with a goal race next week I stayed towards the end. There was 43 of us in the mens 6000m with lots of singlets from some quality clubs around the country. The foghorn went and off we go. The short loop went good it was hard to go off too fast as there was lots of bends and we were in a tight group but I'd say we were fairly clipping all the same. We came around to the start line and went into the first lap of the long loop the race opened up a bit now. We were still on football pitches so the pace was good then we hit the boggy part. On my warm up I was tippy toeing here not to get wet but this time straight into the muck. I enjoyed it but it definitely zapped my pace. Back on more solid ground we had a small ditch to jump then some more hay bales before getting to the play ground. This was another hard bit, again I enjoyed the challenge of this steep hills. Certainly not something I've come across in road racing as I tend to shy away from hard courses.

Back to the start line again and into the second long loop, much the same as the previous loop only that the race opened up more.  I didn't look at my watch during this race I know xc is about positions not times also all the tight bends would have the gps all over the place. I know I didn't want to give 100% but I gave a good solid effort and as the 3rd long loop began I could feel it more. On this loop I overtook some lads and others overtook me. There was a local lad behind me towards the end of the last loop I could feel him breathing down my neck especially on the hills in the playground but I was determined not to let him pass and gave him a race to the end. As soon as the hills we over we on a football pitch again I had loads in the tank and shot home for a 29th out of 43 finish.

I hadn't trained cross country in the build up to this just off my road racing and another soild weeks training behind me so I was very happy with my performance. I know the gps was all over the shop on my strava as the distance was only 5700 but I'm sure it was the full 6000m and if so in a time of 22:50 my average pace would be 3:49/km I think it's a solid workout all the same. There was a group photo at the end then I put on my long sleeve tee shirt, changed into my road runners and did 3km cool down the paths in Merlin woods near the course. Back to the car and some stretching a quick change and a rush home for work.

I have to say this was my most enjoyable race all year. I just loved it especially the boggy parts I don't know why maybe it's the novelty of it all. I suppose in December when its wet, windy and cool it will be a different story... It was hard going at times and I feel it today on my legs. I'm looking forward to the season ahead. Massive credit to Castlegar AC for putting this event on. I really enjoyed the day it would be nice to have more clubs putting on open xc races. It might attract a few more to the sport who are independent runners or where there are clubs like mine with no real interest at senior or masters level for cross country as the road race calendar is full and might give an opportunity for something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

XC courses tend to be all over the place when it comes to distance. I've ran 10k XC races that were close to 12k and others a litlle over 9k roughly. Most aren't in anyway accurate or even measured near the extent of road races. If you want to get the get the buzz of competitiveness with those around you, nothing beats XC. The standard is much better than the roads and you are competing against everyone around you for place as that is all that matters in trying to help your team get the best possible result. XC is in my opinion, the purest form of running and glad to hear you enjoyed it and are planning to get out again. Most clubs are crtying out for numbers to run XC and I think a lot of people miss out on that running experience that it brtings. It's a different buzz and a rewarding one at that.

I think clubs can do more to promote xc like putting on open meets like this one, the same can be said for track meets like the day of the Irish PBs which was an absolutely brilliant meet.

MONDAY

PM:10km @5:02/km on trail

Hips and glutes work afterwards

TUESDAY

AM: 8.4 @4:57/km

PM: A few planks, squats, lunges

WEDNESDAY

PM:8x3 minutes with 45 seconds off recovery
    Target was tempo pace

Because of storm Ali my coach texted and said no need to get down to the athletic track so I used the local gravel track. It suited me because I was late home from work. Solo session. It was a bit windy but nothing to bad. It felt quite easy throughout, it was quite enjoyable session.

3km warm up with the usual drills and strides

Paces for 8x 3 minutes /km

3:50
    3:52
    3:53
    3:51
    3:51

2.7km cool down

The session was 12.4km total

Too late when I got back for any supplementary work.

THURSDAY

PM: 12.2km @4:57/km on trail

A little bit of hips and glutes work afterwards

FRIDAY

Rest day. I was very tempted to 20minutes easy but I stayed in

SATURDAY

Castlegar AC XC 6km

Warm up: 2.8km

My first cross country race: 6km report above

Cool down: 3km 

SUNDAY

My legs were a bit tired but after work some easy miles.

PM:15.1km on trail at 5:02/km

Solid week training again I really enjoyed this week and the xc race was one of my highlights of the year so far. Next week should be easy enough. I ate waaaay too much rubbish this week which was my only disappointment.

Total distance this week
    70.1km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done in Castlegar, totally different animal to the road reading other logs. It will bring you on no end i’m sure, great log & better training.

Advertisement