Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive Vibes. Negative Splits.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

While its in my head after tonight's session I did a 6k with the lads they're sub 2:50 marathon runners so it was a uptempo for me. But it felt so smooth and relaxed even though my heart rate was up. The pace was 3:44/km not much less then my 10km race at the weekend. I just switched off and ran, I'd love to replicate that in races I never seem to race at my full potential. Even at the weekend I was afraid to push on early and hold on. Anyone else be like that in sessions and races or is it just in my head?

Any chance it's the difference between running in isolation and running in a group. It makes a massive difference I think.

Also no pressure on a training run. If you're anything like me you build up the importance of these races and are tense to begin with. My best race performances were ones where I was pumped and excited as opposed to feeling the pressure of "performing"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I think so but it was the fear to push on and hold on with the leading group that got me isolated. Its something for me to think about and try in other races that aren't goal or target races.

I think so but it was the fear to push on and hold on with the leading group that got me isolated. Its something for me to think about and try in other races that aren't goal or target races.

Definitely. And the more you race the less you care about trying something and failing.

Sorry to bump my log again. I'm giving serious consideration to racing Den Haag half marathon in March. The last half I ran was Athlone in August 2016. This training was done with long sunny evenings so out with a head lamp in February isn't as appealing but still thinking about it. Maybe posting the build up to my last half will give me something to reflect on...

5 weeks out 

Monday 6km easy 10km tempo
    Tuesday 21.5km long run
    Wednesday 6.1km recovery 
    Thursday 13.5km easy
    Friday 3.8km warm up, 6x 6mins @10mile pace with 2 Minutes Recovery, 2.9km cool down.

Weekly distance 72.7km

4 weeks out 

Monday 14.1km easy 
    Tuesday 6km easy, 12.5km tempo, 1.5km cool down 
    Wednesday 13.2km easy
    Thursday 13km easy
    Friday 2km warm up, 5x2km hmp 1km Float recovery, 2.5km cool down 
    Saturday 4.5km recovery 
    Sunday 23.4km long run

Weekly distance 109.6km

3 weeks out 

Monday 9.4km easy 
    Tuesday 6km easy, 13km MP, cool down 2km 
    Wednesday rest
    Thursday 11.7km easy
    Friday 3km warm up, 10x1km cruise with 500 rec, cool down.
    Saturday 8.3km recovery 
    Sunday 25km long run 

Weekly distance 98.2km 

2 weeks out

Monday 12.5km easy
    Tuesday 5km easy, 5km MP, 5km HMP, 5km 10 mile, 3km cool down
    Wednesday 13.1km easy 
    Thursday 11.7km recovery 
    Friday warm up, 5x2km HMP with 1km recovery plus 30sec slower, Cool Down
    Saturday rest
    Sunday 27km long run

Weekly distance 107.3km 

1 week out

Monday 12.9km easy
    Tuesday 3km warm up, 2x2mile 60 seconds off, 8x45 sec hills with 60 seconds jog recovery, 2x2mile 60 seconds off 3km cool down
    Wednesday 9.5km easy
    Thursday 15km easy
    Friday 3km warm up, 7x2km slightly faster than MP with 1km recovery 30 sec slower, 3km cool down
    Saturday 9.3km easy
    Sunday rest

Weekly distance 96.3km 

Race week

Monday 13.5km easy
    Tuesday 8.5km easy
    Wednesday 13.4km easy
    Thursday 10.6km easy
    Friday rest
    Saturday 4.4km warm up
    Half marathon in 1:23:56
    2.1km cool down

Weekly distance 73.8km

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I’ll keep an eye on the weather for you......

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    I’ll keep an eye on the weather for you......

Would you think about it yourself?

Would you think about it yourself?

I’m doing the 5k this year instead, if you have any questions ask away. I know your coach ran it last year to.

I’m doing the 5k this year instead, if you have any questions ask away. I know your coach ran it last year to.

I'll have your inbox full now :pac: yeah he was pacing a few in it.

Sunday night we had to rush a close family member into hospital so my running took a back seat this week. A bit of a shock tbh.

MONDAY

Rest

TUESDAY

Rest

WEDNESDAY

3. 4km warm up with the usual drills and strides

Unfortunately we hadn't access to the track so we went for a tempo but probably more a uptempo for me. The boys did 8k I was told leave it at 6k by the boss.

Uptempo 6km @3:44/km

Nice and smooth, it felt great, switch off and run. It's a great bunch of lads to be training with all sub 2:50 marathon or sub 16:20 5k. Not all the same club either, fantastic to see everyone working together. It's a cracking set up to be honest. I think I've come on leaps and bounds since I joined them.

4.1km cool down.

The session was 13.5km total

THURSDAY

PM: Easy.. ish 12.2km @4:44/km around the town.

FRIDAY

AFTERNOON: 14.6km @4:32/km. I was 50/50 weather I'd make Saturday's session so I said I'd go a little faster. I know it was a bit nippy but tight for time too.

SATURDAY

AM:1km broken in 200m. So 200 on, 200 cruise, 200 on, 200 cruise, 200 on. Then 2 minutes off x5. The target for 200 on was 32 seconds

5.2km warm up with the usual drills and strides. A bit long but I was there early so wanted to keep moving.

On the track. I struggled a bit to keep with the lads but I got through this session. My first 200s were 32s but I couldn't hold it so I'd fall off a bit to 34-36 on the second and 38s on the last 200 of each rep. That was consistent on all 5. Fridays nippy run probably took its toll, so lesson learnt.

2.2km cool down on grass

In total 13.3km

Nice workout with a bit of play with speed and strength.

SUNDAY

AM: 20.2km @5:08/km on roads with lads in my club. Hilly route no harm to pull the pace back. Glorious morning for running.

Total distance this week
    74km

Happy to get the miles in a difficult week I had hoped to do more. Really makes me appreciate what I've got. Also looking at what's happening on the track Wednesdays and Saturdays with the kids and teens makes me think there is great prospects for athletics here. Massive work going on behind the scenes with some world class coaches. On boards the thread on running and mental health was really powerful. Hard to say much about it just take it all in. I hope to race Jingle Bells 5k next week but I'll see how things go, same with the mileage. I'll take what I get. Flights and hotel booked for Den Haag in March I'll decide weather I'll race the 10 or half during the week.

17:35 chip time in Jingle Bells 5k today. A six second PB. I was slightly disappointed with time, especially the first mile so so slugish. But I'm staying with friends in Santry and as we passed the SSC it was a massive reminder on how far I've come. 18 months ago I thought my days of competitive running were over. Sitting here reflexing on that I'm quite pleased now. I'll do a report tomorrow

• Advertisement

MONDAY

PM:Recovery 7km @5:15/km around the town. Feeling a bit beat up after the speed session on Saturday.

TUESDAY

PM: Easy 60ish minutes 13.1km @4:51/km
    I was visiting my parents so I ran on the route that was my long run back in the noughties. I remember I used to try and run this in under 60 minutes. Mental stuff.

WEDNESDAY

PM: Easy with 4x 100m strides 12.2km @5:04/km

I couldn't get off work in time to get down to training. Dermot had a session for me but I didn't do it... I'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing.

THURSDAY

Rest day

FRIDAY

PM: Easy with 4x 100m strides 5km @5:01/km.

SATURDAY

Jingle Bells 5k

AM:Warm up 2.8km with the usual drills, activations, and strides. It was a little was a bit longer that I didn't record 3.5km

Jingle Bells 5km in 17:35 chip time @3:31/km 17:41 on the gun.
    Finished 103rd overall, 22nd in my age category, and the flying mile 5:25

Cool down 3.1km

Pre Race
    Ealry start. I had my usual breakfast of porridge, chia seeds, bannana, blueberry and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I also had a tosted plain bagel which I dont normally have, but I will sometimes before a race or session. I did a few glute activations and then some Bathroom business before we hit the road. Stopped for a coffee halfway there and a stretch of the legs and another bathroom break. I dropped off Mrs Mellow Yellow in Blanchestown shopping centre and parked up at the Garda rowing club. I figured it was the handiest place to get back onto the M50. I was there in great time around 930am so I went for a walk to loosen up a bit and get a feel of the place. But as soon as I started to walk my stomach was in bits just managed to make the portaloo in time. If definitely wasn't nerves because this was the most relaxed I was going into a race. Anyway after that incident my stomach still wasn't great but it wasn't bad enough to stop me. When I got back to the car I changed and started my warm routine. I felt very sluggish and couldn't get into gear. Just before I got in the pen I met one of the Raheny lads that has been training with us lately, he gave me a quick heads up on the course. I took off my long sleeve top and got in the pen. I didn't wear my club singlet for this race. I don't know why but I no pressure when I dont race in our singlet.

The Race
    I was a few rows back but the runners around looked the part so I was happy with my position unlike Rathfarham. It still took 6 seconds to cross the start line but it was quite congested. I couldn't hear the guy on the megaphone, I was very relaxed I thought it would be a couple of more minutes before it started then the foghorn went and the race began. It caught me by surprise.
    After the initial quick 100-200m start I couldn't get into gear. It was a bit congested and I worked my way through the gaps but still very sluggish at the 1km my watch flashed 3:36/km I know there was a very slight uphill drag but its nothing major and along with the crowd the the buzz normally it should be alot faster. Dermot told me not to go balls out in that first kilometer but even if wanted to it wasn't in me. I continued to pass out runners on the 2nd km I don't remember anyone passing me there was a bit of a head wind here if I remember right but again nothing hectic. Again at the 2km my watch flashes up 3:36/km I'm thinking to myself whats wrong with me. But I put no pressure on myself as I see a girl not far ahead of me who finished 3rd in Annagassan. I was determined to catch her and eventually I did, and passed her out but this left me towards the front of a group. 3km 3:35/km flashes up on my watch at this stage I forget about the times and get into full race mode as I had people breathing down my neck. One lad flys past me but I hear him saying to someone watching he was late starting... No catching him :eek: Then that girl I mentioned makes a break I try to keep with her, I can't but I do my best. Still people breathing down my neck. I'm loving this it's so hard but I keep pushing. This is why I race such a buzz. There seems to be someone pacing a girl from Raheny his words of encouragement are keeping me going too. Push on, make every second count, dig in... I'm breathing really heavy and do my best to dig in. After that final turn the finish line is ahead it still feels so far a head of me, its like a slow motion finish. Eventually I cross the line and see 17:41 on the clock. I'm too bolloxed to look at my watch.

Post Race
    For some reason I thought 17:41 was my time I had forgotten how long it took to cross the start line. I met the guy from Raheny who was training with us. He got home in 16.33 great running. I'm a bit disappointed with my time and collect my mug. I walked upto the start line and collected my top then began my cool down jog. I actually felt quite fresh after the race and that stomach issue had gone too. I blame the coffee. I met Sean Heheir on my cool down I don't know if he remembered me because my wife knows him or if he's just one of these really friendly runners (like the vast majority of runners I meet) but he had a big hello. Anyway I got back to the car text my coach, wife, and club mates on how I got on. They're all delighted. As I drive back to collect my wife in Blanchestown I start to reflect. Then as we make our way to Santry where we were staying it really hits me. This is a massive PB! 18 months ago when I was in the Santry Sports Clinic with achillies problems my goal was just get back to easy running for fun. I thought my competitive running days were over. It wasn't what I hoped for going into the race but as my coach said I'm going in the right direction and I count my blessings for where I am today.

We went for a meal in Dublin city centre afterwards. I think that took more out of me then any race. I'm glad to have left Dublin behind (sorry to any Dubs reading this) its just not for me.

SUNDAY

AM: Easy 60 Minutes 13km @4:41/km kinda boring after the high of that race finish. But I felt fresher than I did all week.

Total distance this week
    61.4km

I'm wondering was it the early start or the fact I took it so easy during the week as to why I was so slugish starting off? Negative splits race though :):pac:

Well done man, delighted you PB’d, great going!!

I'm wondering was it the early start or the fact I took it so easy during the week as to why I was so slugish starting off? Negative splits race though

Great stuff on the time. Well done. Building all the time.
    I know how you feel. I felt exactly the same after Borrisoleigh. Coach gave me some good perspective and looking back I'm reasonably happy with my time there. I kinda forgoty target at the start of the year was sub 18.

As for your question above I know personally I need some sort of speed tuneup the week of any race especially a 5k.
    Coffee for me on race day is something I personally avoid.

Coffee for me on race day is something I personally avoid.

Works for dublin runner, few minutes before a race even, good enough for me!!!

OOnegative wrote:

Haha I know I've seen the reports. Seems commonplace amongst a lot of runners. Doesn't agree with me. It gets the gut "moving" and even worse with nerves. Doubt that's what happened above though as I think I've heard mentions of coffee in previous reports.

Haha I know I've seen the reports. Seems commonplace amongst a lot of runners. Doesn't agree with me. It gets the gut "moving" and even worse with nerves. Doubt that's what happened above though as I think I've heard mentions of coffee in previous reports.

Ah I know, only joking!! At least a few hours before a race for me.

Thanks guys. On the coffee I am an addict and wouldn't think twice about having 10 coffees in a day but I am cutting back but never a issue before :pac: but it didn't taste the nicest :rolleyes:

It was a experiment to do no session just strides during the week. I think I'll listen to my coach in future :D

Its nearly six months since I stopped training with the club and moved to Dermot. Since then I've knocked off 45 seconds of my 5k time and a big PB in 10km without really targeting that distance. I'm happy with the direction I'm going and know nothing happens over night.

I still haven't made up my mind on to race a half or 10k in the Hague :rolleyes:

You're flying it. Making great progress. It's much harder to knock chunks off a 5k. Most important thing is to keep consistent. It helps to have full faith in your coach too.

100% he's one in a million to be honest. Also hit 3000km for the year on Saturday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

That's just to wake him up enough for the frantic dash for the start line and his Ninja acrobatics to get there before the gun goes :D

• Advertisement

I had planned 75km this week

MONDAY

Hurt by lower back starting work Monday morning. It was back problems that was one of the main I quit running in the late noughties. So no running today.

TUESDAY

Rest day. Bit of rehab.

WEDNESDAY

Another rest day, but feeling better. More rehab stuff.

THURSDAY

Rest day again. I could have chanced it but I have a policy of always taking one more day off when I'm feeling better after an injury. I think I'll gain more than the fitness I'll lose. More rehab.

FRIDAY

PM: Easy run to test out my back 10.3km @4:52/km. Bit of a niggle but on the whole not bad. More rehab work.

SATURDAY

Rest day. Feeling good, I thought after Fridays run my back might be a issue. Kept up the streching and easy lower back exercises.

SUNDAY

Believe & Achieve/Kevin Bell Repatriation Trust 5k

11AM:Warm up 4.6km with the usual drills, activations, and strides. Like last week it probably was a little was a bit longer that I didn't record. Unlike last weeks warm up I was forcing myself to slow down.

B&A/RBRT 5k 5km in 17:35 gun time, no chip.

A low key local race in aid of the Kevin Bell repatriation trust organised by the one and only Dermot McDermott.
    I had this race in mind for some time, its a fast course and I wanted to compare myself to this time last year on the same course which was 18:44 but better racing conditions that day. I was a bit apprehensive going into the race but I was confident I'd get though it or else I'd be on marshal duty. Chatting to other runners I know in warm up explaining my week I did say I'd DNF if I had to and was told to take ibuprofen by some. This is something I'll never do before running. We lined up but there was slight delay start because of an accident on the route. Ready steady go, the first km was quite fast with a 200m down hill start 3:16/km for that one in a goup up to here. The second km into the wind and began to get isolated, not strong enough to keep up with my training buddies and a strong head wind I pulled back. No looking at my watch (for the most part) for this race just going by feel. 3:39 for this km. I was really isolated from here and really into the wind now and exposed 3:47/km I had a sneeky look at my watch at this point. Ah here come to f**k I said. The next km no wind but a long not but not a very steep drag. 3:39/km here. Into the final km no wind, no drag just flat. I didn't realise how close the finish line was ahead of me as it was around a bend and not looking at my watch until Dermot shouted at me to sprint. Got there in 17:35 same as last week and equals last weeks PB. 9th/77 runners. I was happier with that performance than last week. Crappy week, only 6 days since my race, windy and isolated race. I really enjoyed that race.

Alberto Sanchez won the race in 14:39, its a pity John Travers wasn't about it but I guess running for Ireland in the mixed relay is a tad bit more important than a lock 5k. But it would be a cracking race between them both.

Cool down 4.7km I was happy to extend my usual 3km/2mile cool down just to see how my back felt. Sometimes its not until after a race until you feel any ache. Thankfully all good.

Total distance this week
    24.7km

I had a micro goal of hitting 2000 miles this year but I think I'll put that on ice now, I'm still delighted to have hit 3000km last week. For the second time this year I missed four consecutive days running but that back injury could have been so much worse. On Tuesday I didn't think I'd be able to race this weekend I could hardly walk so again happy with that. I think I was quite sensible (well maybe not racing) Lots of positive vibes, I definitely see myself breaking 17:30 next year hopefully much more. Although I had a goal for this year of hitting 17:30 it probably was a bit ambitious after last year if I'm honest with myself. Still no harm to aim high.

Fantastic progress man. That's a huge improvement year in year. More to come

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

2 x 17:35's in a week........i think sub 17:30 is a soft enough goal for next year, and a sub 37 10k is just a matter of time :) remind me what's your master plan for 2019?

Low 17s for a 5k, sub 36 for 10k would be the priority. Ambitious I know. Looking into the Hague half in March. My half PB is 83:56 from 2016 so if I race it I'll want to PB. It could be good base training for 5k/10k season.

I ran 36.05/17.35 between March and June so it's not overly ambitious. You're well capable.

MONDAY

PM: Easy 60 minutes 12km @4:53/km around town.

TUESDAY

PM: Easy 55 minutes 11.3km @4:59/km around town.

WEDNESDAY

No access to the track so a straight tempo run on the footpath with a target of 8km @4:00/k pace with a bit faster at the end

3.2km warm up with the usual drills and strides

8km tempo @3:56/km average. The last km was at 3:49/km up and down on the footpath on a 1km stretch.

The session felt very comfortable. Working a bit with a head wind on the return.

3.3km cool down.

The session was 14.6km total

THURSDAY

PM: Easy 60ish minutes 13.1km @4:45/km. Fed up of running around town. Head lamp on and hit the roads. After the first km uphill the rest of this route is mainly down with until the last 3km. So the average pace seem nippy but it was a easy run

FRIDAY

PM: Easy 30 minutes 6km @5:00/km around town more footpaths...

SATURDAY

Loughkey parkrun

Am:5km @ tempo pace target 4:00/km

2.4km warm up I didn't to many drills.

5km tempo @3:55/km in 19:33

4km cool down

First time running Loughkey parkrun. My second parkrun this year and 4th time running a parkrun overall. Conditions weren't great, but not as bad as predicted either. When I arrived and started my warm up, there was a few runners huddling for shelter at the cafe door I didn't think many would do it today with the weather warnings but there was nearly 100. It was a pacer day with the fastest pacer 21 minutes. Seems to be a good community at this parkrun. Very positive and supportive. 38 volunteers which is brilliant. Most times I ignore the run director speech tbh and stay warm by moving because I normally run these in winter. But this time I stood and listened, one lady was celebrating 50 parkruns. I was hoping there would be a few to pace off running 18:45 to 19:45 so I wouldn't have to do all the work. One guy stuck with me for around 2.5km but then he fell back a bit so I was on my own after that. I didn't go too hard and stuck to my target and came home in 1st place. This is a lovely place to run and a nice course overall, with the trees there was plenty of shelter from the wind with the exception of the last 300/400 meters or so that was exposed. I would say with all the leaves and puddles maybe a light trail shoe would be better for this course at this time of the year. It can be mucky in places. It's €4 parking at Loughkey which is quite steep but they discount parkrunners. On my cool down I went back on the route to enjoy the scenery as I wasn't really looking at it during my tempo run more so my footfall.

SUNDAY

AM: 23km @5:10/km with the lads on roads. The last 4km I was on my own so I picked up the pace a bit. Last km in 4:30. I find these runs with the lads quite slow but I think this is good for me.

Total distance this week
    91.6km

My biggest distance this year but intensity cut back, just two tempo runs. No issues with my back. I continued to do my lower back work and some s&c.

MONDAY

Rest

TUESDAY

PM: Easy 60 minutes 12.2km @4:49/km on the roads with my headlamp

WEDNESDAY

No access to the track again so on the footpath for 6x1km with a target of @3:35/k pace with 2 minutes off recovery

3km warm up with the usual drills and strides

Splits for 6x1km
    3:35
    3:33
    3:32
    3:34
    3:32
    3:33

The session felt okay it was a solo effort. Debut for my Brooks Asteria. I got them on a good deal on black Friday. They are marketed as a racer with stability but I plan to use them for tempo work. Hard to know yet what I think of them but hard to beat the New Balance 1500 v2 which I use for sessions and races but my 1500's are coming near their end of life.

3km cool down.

The session was 12.4km total

I noticed my achillies was a little bit delicate after the session. I suspect it maybe lasts weeks 7 days of running and extended long run as I've noticed it a bit stiff in the mornings all week. Also I've been doing a lot of road and footpath running hard to get on the trails this time of year.

THURSDAY

Rest. I deliberately took today off. I'm not particularly concerned but no harm resting it. This seems to happen when I increase the work load.

FRIDAY

AM: Easy 50 minutes 10.2km @4:48/km

SATURDAY

Loughkey parkrun same as last week...

AM:5km @ tempo pace target 4:00/km

4.5km warm up I didn't any drills done. I got a bit lost on the trails during my warm up I just about got to the start line in time.

5km tempo @3:55/km to 4:00/km in 19:33 (exact same time as last week) 2nd one home this time. I was thinking of giving the guy ahead of me a race but I stayed focus on what I was told to do... Perfect conditions for it.

4.4km cool down

SUNDAY

PM: 17km @4:52/km mixture of trail and footpaths

Total distance this week
    65.8km

I've two 5k fun runs lined up for next week I'm not overly pushed if I dont get to them. There is one in my hometown on St Stephen's day the course isn't very appealing but for a good cause. The other one is organised by a neighbouring club and seems a nicer course which is on Sunday.
    Happy Christmas

MONDAY

Christmas eve

AM: Easy 60 minutes 12.3km @4:50/km on mainly trail.

TUESDAY

Christmas day

AM: Easy 5.1km @4:42/km on the roads of Achill so quite hilly. I hit 2000 miles for 2018 on this run. I didn't think I'd reach that distance but it crept up on me.

WEDNESDAY

St Stephen's day

Local 5k in aid of S.H.O.U.T the cancer unit in Sligo hospital. Horrible course, I rarely do my easy runs on this route, never mind a race. Over 400 at it so the club is delighted with that. Non timed run/race.

4.4km warm up with the usual drills and strides

5k race in 18:19

A quick 500 meter start then all up hill until just after 4km then a down hill finish with some 90 degree bends to slow you down. I didn't burst myself but I gave it a honest effort. 4th overall.

3.2km cool down.

Again my achillies was a little bit delicate after the race. Hills will bring this on. So I'm back to my rehab exercises that I've been neglecting.

THURSDAY

Rest.

FRIDAY

AM: Easy ish 60 minutes 12km @4:39/km

On trails and road. We were in Cong for the night. I forgot to put my phone on charge that night so left it at the hotel. I got a bit lost on trails so it was a bit of a nippy run as I was anxious to get back in time. Worked out fine but should have stuck with my instinct.

SATURDAY

AM: Easy 5km on my local trail @4:57/km

PM: 5km walk with my Dads dog on the trail. Good enough pace

SUNDAY

I felt a bit stiff going down the stairs so I did a short shakeout before breakfast. I don't normally do a shake out but I might do this in future.

AM: Shakeout 1.5km @5:11/km on footpath. Followed by some stretching and activations. I felt good after that.

Benbulben 5km

3.1km warm up on the track around the pitches. I changed into my adios shoes after 1.4km then the usual drills and strides.

5k Race in 17:43*

* My watch said 17:45 I pressed stop after the finish line. The official sheet said 17:53 but I think that was a typo... It wasn't chip timing. I'm claiming 17:43

I think all the racing in December is catching up with me, along with the the usual Christmas excess. I had four 5k races and two parkruns at tempo pace this month... I gave it a good go today but the hills at 2km and 3.5km put manners on me. I probably could have pushed on a bit more. There was one guy I wanted to stay with but I let him go at 2.5km. 7th overall. I really enjoyed this race. Decent enough course for around here but nothing as good as the Streets of Sligo or Dermot's races in town. Very good stewarding and organising in this race so kudos to all involved.

3.3km cool down on the track around the football pitches.

Total distance this week
    60.3km

I'll do a recovery run tomorrow before doing a year round up of my running.

Great log Chief, has been required reading since you started recording your training and racing here. All the best in 2019 & beyond.

• Advertisement

Great log Chief, has been required reading since you started recording your training and racing here. All the best in 2019 & beyond.
    Thanks, and likewise for your log. One of the best ones here.

Advertisement