Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive Vibes. Negative Splits.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

big well organised races in the Greater Dublin area. I'll see how things go and schedules but I'm thinking Dunshaughlin and Terenure

I'm never running Terenure again.
    Its the hilliest flattest course you'll ever get.

Its cursed, I tell ya!!

Ran it about 4 times and NEVER ran well on it - it just has a negative magnetism to it :) - anyway, back to the Alan's - I had a great race a few years back where me and another Alan King finished in Exactly the same time and are in the same pic.

Also - I think Dunshaughlin is a wonderful Deep race - a lot of runners similar to Raheny 5 - but I doubt I'll do it this year - I think I've a better chance of a faster time in Clonee, which is the Thursday after Dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I blew up in Terenure last year. It was the second worst race of my life. I feel I've unfinished business there...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Very well run race. Great to see.
    I always likes those 1km sessions on race week. Nice tuneup.
    After I composed myself I saw AMK sitting on the kerb I was on my way over to introduce myself when I bumped into my buddy from Raheny he got a sub 27 then one of the girls I train with, she got a sub 32. So I miss AMK after all that.

Pity he was sitting. You didn't get to see how short he is for a tall fella.

I'm planning for Dunshaughlin myself. Hopefully it works out.

F**k off snow :mad:

F**k off snow

Dreadmill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

F**k off snow :mad:

I hear ya, session cut short here because the snow started freezing more or less instantly as it hit the ground. Am a bad runner not a bad speed skater!!

Dreadmill?
    The gym was closed because of the snow:D I put on my Salmon speedcross and ran on trail instead. A little bit icey in parts but I was running in fresh snow so generally okay...

Just to add on Raheny. Of all the Dublin races I've done (which isn't much to be fair) Raheny had the best and friendliest atmosphere. It really reminded me of my local club race where the whole community gets behind the race. Especially for a big race where this is often lost I thought it was great. I didn't wait around for the prize giving so I'm not judging it on that.
    On a personal note. I think my mind set has changed for racing, maybe it's because I've got in the habit of racing more often. I don't put a race on a pedestal anymore, its not about PBs its about racing my best on the day. Of course I want to PB but having a more relaxed approach about racing has made me a bit more aggressive in the actual race if you get me. I have still have my targets but I think I race braver now without going suicide pace in the first km either. Saying that I had a moment of doubt in Raheny coming into St Annes where I thought I don't think I will sustain the pace. I think that split second cost me a sub 29. It happens on the track too where one split second of concentration or doubt and I'm 10 metres behind the lads. It's still something I've to work on but I'm going the right direction. I really love racing these days.

Bit of a running log/weather report this week.

MONDAY

PM: Easy/Recovery 50 minutes run around town 10km @4:59/km

Maybe a bit faster than planned but it was all very unforced. I felt very fresh.

TUESDAY

PM: Easy 60 minutes run on the country roads 13.1km @4:41/km

It snowed a hour before I went out. I ran in the middle of the road so I was on fresh snow, - 1°c, bright night too but a stong sharp wind made it feel colder maybe thats why my pace was a little bit faster along with the first 5km is mainly down hill as I tried to warm up.

WEDNESDAY

PM: Planned 6km tempo, B&A training on the track was cancelled so I was thinking about using dreadmill. But the gym was closed too with the snow. Instead I put on my salomon speedcross trail shoes and headed for the trail loop.

I said I'd go by feel with the snow and I knew I still had Raheny in my legs. After 1km at 4:00/km my headlight went dim (I forgot to charge it after yesterday's run) so without good light I pulled the pace back a bit, and then left it at 4km as my headlight faded more. It was - 2°c but no wind so it didn't feel as cold as yesterday.

4km steady

3km warm up, I didn't do many drills or activations. No strides either... I usually spend 20 minutes only around 5 today.

4km splits
    4:00
    4:13
    4:14
    4:12

3.4km cool down

The session was 10.4km total

THURSDAY

Beginners 5 to 10k training with the club cancelled due to snow. The footpaths around town were still slippy with snow but the roads were fine. Worst weather for running all winter today, wind, hail, sleet and - 2°c so hat which I never wear, warm gloves, long sleeve t, running jacket, and forget about tights lads these are the only thing for the job this time of year.

https://www.nike.com/ie/t/swift-running-trousers-mpjpH0/928583-010

My wife thinks they look cat but I love them. Less restrictive then tights. I actually hate tights, anyway I digress.

PM: Easy 70 minutes run on the back roads 14.5km @4:51/km

359km or 223 miles for January. This is actually my biggest monthly distance since August 2016. I'm quite surprised as it was my intention. I guess helping out with our clubs training has brought it up a bit.

FRIDAY

Rest. Perfect running weather...

SATURDAY

Snow again over night, not much but enough to cause problems for running, froze hard too. I was going head out at 11am I drove the the route I hoped to take to see was it safe to do a session on, it was 0°c. The main roads were ok but the back roads weren't great, so I gave it a few more hours to thaw out more.

This is my first real half session, I was a little apprehensive about going into this block. I don't particularly have much of a desire to race a half marathon and I'll only have a few weeks training so it has crossed my mind to switch to the 10k instead. I had a wee chat with the boss Friday but he has total faith in me and thinks the benefits racing this will stand to me for the season ahead. I've total faith so lets do this.

PM:5x2km with 1km recovery 60s slower target was originally 3:46/k but it had to be pulled back a bit so suit the conditions on the road.

3.1km warm up, with strides, drills, activations. I could have spend more time doing drills but it was freezing. Again I know I shouldn't cut this short. Having all the important muscles firing is vital to improving form and will improve preformance too.

5x2km splits

7:38 @ approx 3:49/km
    7:39 @ approx 3:50/km
    7:35 @ approx 3:47/km
    7:40 @ approx 3:50/km
    7:47 @ approx 3:53/km

Happy with that and a nice confidence booster. It was a nice constant climb on the last 2km, so the pace was back a little there, I'm not concerned about that. I felt very strong even at the end. If I was told I had to do one more repeat I wouldn't have minded. I would say Raheny is still a bit in my legs, that hard concrete took its toll to be fair.

3km cool down

Total session 20.1km

SUNDAY

I made arrangements with a few of the 10k lads to meet at 8am. The plan was to do laps of the football pitches as it was promised black ice. The half marathon lads were meeting at 730am for a session. We got a text of one them saying the roads were fine... But they weren't, they were quite bad so we decided to make our down to where the lads doing their half session were running. They had a monster session on. In fairness when we got down there that stretch was fine. They dropped us back to our cars afterwards. It was supposed to be 16km. I accidentally went over it a bit but the run was at a slow pace...

AM:17.3km @5:10/km

Total distance this week 85.6km

Solid week

That's a great week off the back of a great race man. Nice one.

I hear you about the mindset change. One of the benefits of racing regularly. And as for the mid race doubts, I think if you don't have those you're probably not pushing hard enough.

As for those "leggings"..... 100quid! My tights only set me back 10 euro I think. Tights all the way haha. Plus my missus loves them ;)

Tights all the way haha. Plus my missus loves them ;)

Especially when you’re wearing her red stilettos......

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote:
    Especially when you’re wearing her red stilettos......

Haha....black.....

Finished off the week in my leggings with c25k this evening. 5k just under 40 minutes. Its a walk/shuffle etc They were worth every penny on a night like tonight :)

Was it 2x5k or 5x2k??

I love your comments on racing - the "race the best on the day" vibe has done so much for me - made me race better I think as I don't fear any kinda failure now.

As for the tights/leggings......... just get a garter and be done with it.

5x2km

I was hoping to do a local 5k on Sunday but had to head to to Dublin Saturday night so that changed my plans.

MONDAY

PM: Easy 60 minutes on the roads with 4x15 seconds hill sprints included near the end

12.4km @4:49/km

TUESDAY

PM: Easy/moderate run on the country roads 10km @4:42/km

I was late getting out and tight for time. Way too fast, should have been closer to 5:10/km today.

WEDNESDAY

PM: 4x2km with 2 minutes off target 3:40/km or 7:20 each 2km

On the track. I knew warming up I'd struggle a bit today. I was right, thankfully Dermot is over at the Millrose games and didn't see this effort :pac: I should have taken either Monday or Tuesday off but a strom warning for Friday I decided to swap days. Or else I should have at least cut back Tuesday to 8k at 5:10/k when I was stuck for time on Tuesday.

I took 3 minutes recovery before the last 2km but still struggled.

4km warm up and back to usual 20 minutes or so on drills and activations.

4x2km splits
    7:15
    7:10
    7:24
    7:28

3km cool down

The session was 15.2km total

THURSDAY

Beginners 5 to 10k training...

PM: Recovery run 12km @5:55/km

I did a few miles before and after. Feeling a bit dead at the start but the very easy pace brought life into the legs.

FRIDAY

Rest.
    I needed this day off, it did me the world of good. Thankfully I had this day scheduled off as it was really stormy outside. I took advice from a recent video on Strenght Running where they talked about recovery. Feet up and chill out.

SATURDAY

I was kinda expecting rotating kms but got the WhatsApp from Dermot Friday night with the session.

AM:6x 1mile with 1 mile float target of 6:15 on the fast miles and try and work it down to 6:05 if I could. Between 7:10 to 7:15 on the float to keep it honest. On the roads for this one.

Had to head out early enough as I was heading to Dublin later in the day. I left it late as I could but still too early for me to do a session. I was told make sure I do a good 2 to 3 mile warm up with plenty of activations and drills which I gladly did to loosen up. The route I used for this session is quite fair with a few drags up and down, a bit open to the wind that was still up so I was facing the wind on the down hill drags.

Strava\Garmin tell me was working harder today than last weeks 5x2k. But I'd say bar the last mile I felt stronger today. That last mile was on a constant up hill drag. I did feel a bit leggy on it, especially towards the end.

3.5km warm up, with lots of drills and activations.

6x1mile splits on the fast and float mile inside the brackets

6:12 (7:12)
    6:13 (7:06)
    6:09 (7:13)
    6:09 (7:10)
    6:07 (7:06)
    6:13 (6:59)

Very happy with that session, feeling strong. A bit leggy on the last one as I said. I took a gel after two fast miles. I don't think I need them for a half, I'm not sure if I will either yet, maybe I'll get aplacebo effect :D But I wanted to see how it was on my stomach. I knew about it on 4th fast mile but it didn't cause any issues... It was a SIS caffeine gel I'm going to try a kinetica gel next week. Emmett Dunleavy recommended those ones back when I was in marathon mode in 2016, something to do with the type of sugars (I don't really understand) Strava also told me I did a half marathon in 88:06 today. I didn't expect to see that.

3.6km cool down

Total session 26.5km

SUNDAY

AM:12.1km @5:00/km

Total distance this week 88.4km

Forget Kejelcha's mile attempt lads the big story from the Millrose games is Shane Haran from South Sligo AC won his fastest kid race 55m in 8.68 delighted for him, Dermot, and everyone involved in underage athletics with the club. Going from strength to strength. Dermot always brings over two kids to the Millrose games every year. What he's doing for athletics in Sligo is something else. Absolute legend. :cool:

Because there's a bit of hype about operation transformation around town there was metabolic age test in our local chemist. My wife asked me to come along I kinda thing its a bit of a gimmick or at the least very unaccurate but I got 25 my actual age is 37. I'd say most runners will have quite a low one. I just wish I could run like a 25 year old :pac:

I might head to c25k tonight if I'm home in time.

Because there's a bit of hype about operation transformation around town there was metabolic age test in our local chemist. My wife asked me to come along I kinda thing its a bit of a gimmick or at the least very unaccurate but I got 25 my actual age is 37. I'd say most runners will have quite a low one. I just wish I could run like a 25 year old :pac:

I might head to c25k tonight if I'm home in time.

There's a lot more things I wish I could do like a 25 year old......

I may as well update this weeks log now...

MONDAY

Rest.

TUESDAY

AM: Easy on the roads 13km @4:59/km

WEDNESDAY

PM: 2x (1km +4x300) with 1km to finish target 3:45 for the 1km's and 60seconds on the the 300

On the track. Bit of a turn over with some strength as it was a continous session. 200m recovery after the 1kms and 100m after each 300m. Dermot changed it up a bit because of the wind tonight

3.7km warm up with activations, drills, strides.

1km
    3:43

4x300m

1km
    3:43

4x300m

1km
    3:41

2.6km cool down

My left shin was a bit sore in my warm up but ok in the session. Again once I stopped and went for my cool down it was sore again so I stayed on the grass for it. Never had this issue before, better watch it.

The session was 13km total

THURSDAY

My shin was quite sore all day and inflamed when I got home from work. Rest day. Welcome party for Shane Haran hope from the Millrose games.

FRIDAY

Not going to run today. Still sore when walking, even sitting down depending on how my foot is positioned.

I made an appointment with the Mayo sports clinic for Tuesday. I'm taking the weekend off. Hoping I can run on grass Monday for a test run. Most likely no half marathon in the Hague now, maybe the 10k but I'm not very hopeful.

Stress fracture? Shin splints? (never had them so unlikely) the change from stability to neutral shoe, those two hard half sessions? Lack of trail running? I don't know! Over analysing things until I get a proper diagnosis? Definitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hopefully it's a case of you fearing the worst and it turns out to be a quick fix. Best of luck at the physio.

Wait to see what the physio says before ruling anything out, from someone who suffers from shin splints on & off it doesn’t sound like that to me.

Time tells all. Have a look at the late late show tonight lads. The main man is on it!

• Advertisement

Time tells all. Have a look at the late late show tonight lads. The main man is on it!

Bertie.......

Fair play to the young lad if i’m correct.

Unfortunately we don’t get RTÉ here, fair play to Shane & Dermot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Ah thats great viewing! Great young lad. That's your coach too?

Yeah he's a absolute legend

How’s the shin?

OOnegative wrote: »
    How’s the shin?

Shin and front of my foot it turned out to be. Seems to be on the mend, I took some time off. I did 45 minutes easy last night, hope to do similar tonight on grass maybe a bit shorter. Hope to start to build it up and see how it goes. I won't do the Den Haag half now, I don't see the point potentially doing damage that would put me out again. I know I won't be happy with my time if I race it with the guts of two weeks off in the build up.

Not much to report this week. I did one easy run on trail just over 9km no issues, then the next day 10km on grass again no issues. But I picked up a bad cold or possibly a touch of flu. I haven't been sick in years. Confined to bed weak as a kitten with a high temperature. I think I'm over the worst of it...

Bought a pair Pegasus 35 for under 64 euro on sports direct. They have a few other models on sale at a reasonable price this week if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement

Bless me coach for I have sinned. Its been seven days since my last run :(

Advertisement